Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am so sorry to hear the news. I was shocked, same as others here.

Don't lose hope here. Even older people have come out of this. We are all rooting for your son and your family.

Has your son been given monoclonal antibodies? I saw it mentioned earlier, but if it was administered, I missed the post.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

We will be waiting and hoping with you.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hopefully , the vent will allow his body to rest and recover, along with whatever medical treatments they are giving.
Take care and know we are all here and praying for full recovery.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Don't lose hope here. Even older people have come out of this. We are all rooting for your son and your family.
NW is right. Tons of people come out of this after being on a ventilator for a while, so I'm sending you positive thoughts and prayers.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I am so glad that his doctor talked him into staying on the CPAP. I was shocked when I read that he was going to go on a ventilator. I will continue saying prayers for him and your family.
likewise...

Alan, a lot of people here are pulling for you guys
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #146
Administrator

The doctor called about 30 minutes ago to say that while his lungs are badly infected with Covid plus a small area of lung with a secondary infection that they are treating with antibiotics he has no other underlying health condition. He is young, and his heart, kidneys etc are all functioning well. They will be keeping him on his front (proning) for 18 hours a day to help ventilation of the lungs.

Even if all goes well this will take at least 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to do something we do in our church family when someone has a crisis.

Tomorrow morning at 9AM CT..( the middle of the day for Alan) I am going to send up some prayers for his family.

I'm going to pray that Jeffery is comfortable and healing on the vent.

I'm going to pray that Alan and his family have some small measure of peace as they wait helplessly by the phone for news.

I'm going to pray for the medical people caring for Jeffery as they deal with the horrible reality of Covid.

Wherever you are and whatever power you believe in, you are welcome to join me as we send up prayers together for this family in dire straits.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The doctor called about 30 minutes ago to say that while his lungs are badly infected with Covid plus a small area of lung with a secondary infection that they are treating with antibiotics he has no other underlying health condition. He is young, and his heart, kidneys etc are all functioning well. They will be keeping him on his front (proning) for 18 hours a day to help ventilation of the lungs.

Even if all goes well this will take at least 2 to 3 weeks.
that's good news for sure

when not proning, if he can raise his hands over his shoulders that helps with breathing, also sitting up as straight as possible (if possible)

incentive spirometer also very helpful when he is able
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #149
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Has your son been given monoclonal antibodies? I saw it mentioned earlier, but if it was administered, I missed the post.
Yes, as soon as he was admitted into hospital but it didn’t work. The article below from February describes how the new variants have already built resistance. (Kent variant = UK variant)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ainst-variants

Quote:

Monoclonal antibodies: 'great hope' in Covid treatments fails against variants

Exclusive: no leading contender is wholly effective against all the South African, Brazilian and Kent variants
Quote:
So basically, most of the front-running antibody therapies for Covid which are the front-running therapies for Covid, I should say – so the great hope – are lost to the South African and Brazilian variants.”

GlaxoSmithKline’s treatment still works against those variants, but not against the one that emerged in Kent in the UK.

But with the coronavirus mutating as much as it has done already, Cammack does not expect any of the current drugs to to be effective for long.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #150
Administrator

Alan - I cannot imagine what you are going through but am wishing the best for you and your family.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
that's good news for sure

when not proning, if he can raise his hands over his shoulders that helps with breathing, also sitting up as straight as possible (if possible)

incentive spirometer also very helpful when he is able

Jeffery is on a ventilator as of this morning..
Old 04-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

As difficult as this is, we must keep hope alive. My Dad's friend in his 50s, no underlying conditions, was on a ventilator for 4 weeks in April, 2020. He dealt with feeling short of breath and fatigue for 3 months afterwards, but he is doing well now. He did develop high blood pressure, treated with drugs. We're all here for you, and will remain hopeful.
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Wow, so sorry to hear all this. Glad you are able to talk to the doctor to monitor his progress. May his lungs heal and not take long!
Old 04-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes, as soon as he was admitted into hospital but it didn’t work. The article below from February describes how the new variants have already built resistance. (Kent variant = UK variant)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ainst-variants
Wow - so sad to know that monoclonal antibodies aren’t working against the variants. I guess they have to change the antibodies for each variant?

Shocking really - you learn something new everyday!

I don’t think the news has gotten out in the US that monoclonal antibodies are not effective or not as effective against B117 (UK, Kent) and that is now the dominant variant in the US!

Maybe the Regen-Cov cocktail still is https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalre...d-19-variants/
Old 04-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #155
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - so sad to know that monoclonal antibodies arenít working against the variants. I guess they have to change the antibodies for each variant?

Shocking really - you learn something new everyday!

I donít think the news has gotten out in the US that monoclonal antibodies are not effective or not as effective against B117 (UK, Kent) and that is now the dominant variant in the US!

Maybe the Regen-Cov cocktail still is https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalre...d-19-variants/
Yes, it is a continual battle against the mutating virus. Infection levels are at the lowest they have been in many months as are the number of people in hospitals with Covid. The hospital Jeffrey is in is a large regional hospital and they are down to their lowest levels for many months with only 27 Covid patients, 6 of them in ICU (Jeffrey being one of them). I think he is desperately unlucky to have caught the virus and for it to be resistant to the drug treatments so far.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Yes, really bad luck unfortunately, including being too young to be vaccinated yet. So frustrating!
Old 04-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #157

Alan, I can't imagine how difficult and scary this is.

I send continued daily prayers that Jeffrey will improve shortly.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm going to do something we do in our church family when someone has a crisis.

Tomorrow morning at 9PM CT..( the middle of the day for Alan) I am going to send up some prayers for his family.

I'm going to pray that Jeffery is comfortable and healing on the vent.

I'm going to pray that Alan and his family have some small measure of peace as they wait helplessly by the phone for news.

I'm going to pray for the medical people caring for Jeffery as they deal with the horrible reality of Covid.

Wherever you are and whatever power you believe in, you are welcome to join me as we send up prayers together for this family in dire straits.
I was thinking the same thing. Not that it really matters, but i think you mean 9AM not pm. Central time. Got it. Iím in. Praying for the best.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Not that it really matters, but i think you mean 9AM not pm. Central time. Got it. I’m in. Praying for the best.
Yes 9 AM..thanks for catching that.

Edited my post.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Keep the faith Alan. We are all here for you and whatever we can provide in good thoughts.