Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great to hear the news.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #322
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
He sat in a chair for 2 hours today. Only on CPAP an hour at a time now, including overnight. He texted at 4am my time asking advice on downloading podcasts and such and we chatted for an hour, at which point I told him that it was 9am in LA so I was transferring him to our US help desk (his sister). We had taken his good headphones into the hospital for him at 7:30 last night. He is now going to be moved back to the regular Covid ward later today.

It's all good news.
I am just hoping to hear of him complain about the food.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #323
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

Yes and I'm laughing about the fact he can text Alan at 4AM and Alan thinks that's wonderful.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #324

This is such wonderful news.
Continued positive thoughts for Jeffrey and you and Irene!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #325
Administrator

He FaceTimed this afternoon, wanted another iPhone charging cable if I had a spare. No problem, I nipped through and dropped one off.

He is back in the regular Covid ward, in a private room. The bed’s too short, it’s too hot and he’s lonely. Now that he is whining at warp factor 5 we can tell that he is definitely on the mend.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #326

Quote:
Hospital friend of mine had a joke about hospital food. Went something like, “We did a survey and the thing most people wanted from the hospital was better food. Just goes to show you that they’re not getting fed well at home.” It was lame, but he always laughed.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #327
Administrator

Quote:
he has been on a feeding tube for quite a while so when he does start to eat and actually keep food down I’m sure he will complain about it.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:30 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Hospital friend of mine had a joke about hospital food. Went something like, “We did a survey and the thing most people wanted from the hospital was better food. Just goes to show you that they’re not getting fed well at home.” It was lame, but he always laughed.
I spent two days in hospital last year and was absolutely amazed that the food was excellent. Seriously!

Certainly the last thing I expected, but it's a good hospital and fortunately the one my doc was affiliated with.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #329
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He sat in a chair for 2 hours today. Only on CPAP an hour at a time now, including overnight. He texted at 4am my time asking advice on downloading podcasts and such and we chatted for an hour, at which point I told him that it was 9am in LA so I was transferring him to our US help desk (his sister). We had taken his good headphones into the hospital for him at 7:30 last night. He is now going to be moved back to the regular Covid ward later today.

It's all good news.
(emphasis mine)

Wonderful! Sounds like he has experienced some significant improvement, and what a relief that must be for you and your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I spent two days in hospital last year and was absolutely amazed that the food was excellent. Seriously!
I was surprised at how good the hospital food was, when I had my total knee replacement surgery back in 2019. They gave me some terrific gumbo right after I awakened from the anesthesia.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #330
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
He FaceTimed this afternoon, wanted another iPhone charging cable if I had a spare. No problem, I nipped through and dropped one off.

He is back in the regular Covid ward, in a private room. The bed’s too short, it’s too hot and he’s lonely. Now that he is whining at warp factor 5 we can tell that he is definitely on the mend.
Oh, this is great! Whining is a wonderful sign!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #331

Quote:

Old 04-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #332
Give me a forum ...

So happy to hear the good news! I bet whining never sounded so great).
Old 04-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #333
Dryer sheet aficionado

So happy for you and your family Alan. You will all be in my prayers, especially Jeffrey. Such a relief to read all his ups and downs and hear that he is on the mend. Hugs to you and your family, you've all been through a lot.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #334
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am laughing with happiness to hear the good news! If he is feeling bored and complaining, he is on the mend!!
Old 04-14-2021, 01:30 AM   #335
Administrator

We talked on the phone at 7am this morning and he actually sounded normal, no gasping for breath, which is the first time that has happened since he went in. He asked us to bring in a few supplies such as his own toothbrush and toothpaste, nail clippers etc.

Still on oxygen but can’t tell how much as he can’t see any displays like he could in ICU. Still too weak to get himself out of bed and across his room to one of his chairs, but he has managed to keep down water and some ice cream last night even though he still feels nauseous.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:45 AM   #336

That's great, dad
Old 04-14-2021, 05:10 AM   #337
Give me a forum ...

So good to hear! I didn’t realize Jeffrey had been gasping for breath when you talked to him. How awful!

And so weak!

This sure has been an eye opener even though I knew these symptoms could happen.

Sending healing thoughts!
Old 04-14-2021, 05:25 AM   #338
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wonderful news, Alan!

I keep thinking he looks like the pic in your avatar.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:15 AM   #339

Terrific Alan. I will cease checking this thread with trepidation and look forward expectantly to more good news.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:47 AM   #340
Administrator

Since that 7am phone call he is washed, shaved, and has seen the doctor who told him he is making REALLY good progress. As I said above it was the first time talking to him since he went in that he sounded normal, not out of breath or gasping so it's good to get confirmation from the doctor on his progress.

Hopefully it will only be a week or so before he is well enough to come home. He still can't get himself out of bed to sit in a chair yet.
Since he asked us to drop off some items so we drove over to his place, then to grocery store, hospital and onto the seaside a few miles away where we had a lovely walk along the seafront, coffee, then haddock and chips all while looking out to sea over a glorious beach and a cloudless sky.

Brilliant morning, really starting to relax some now.
Closed Thread