Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #361
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Since that 7am phone call he is washed, shaved, and has seen the doctor who told him he is making REALLY good progress. As I said above it was the first time talking to him since he went in that he sounded normal, not out of breath or gasping so it's good to get confirmation from the doctor on his progress.

Hopefully it will only be a week or so before he is well enough to come home. He still can't get himself out of bed to sit in a chair yet.
Since he asked us to drop off some items so we drove over to his place, then to grocery store, hospital and onto the seaside a few miles away where we had a lovely walk along the seafront, coffee, then haddock and chips all while looking out to sea over a glorious beach and a cloudless sky.

Brilliant morning, really starting to relax some now.
Nothing like the illness of a loved one to put life into sharp perspective. So happy to hear the good news and continued prayers/healing vibes until your son is fully recovered!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #362
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hopefully he hasn’t lost too much weight. I have heard of multiple patients loosing 30 to 50 lbs while hospitalized with Covid.

He will be weak for a while but with your support and strength I am sure he will make great strides in returning to his past healthy status.

So glad he’s gonna beat this battle!
Old 04-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #363
Administrator

My 37 year old nephew lost about 15-20 lbs to COVID and he wasn't even hospitalized, just confined to his bedroom at home.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:08 AM   #364
Recycles dryer sheets

Load the young man up with his most favorite ice cream.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:10 AM   #365
Administrator

He says that he has lost 25 lbs so far.

He had to be put on the large cannula in the nose oxygen overnight as his stats dropped but is back on the small clear 2 pronged one today and his blood oxygen is again stable at 97-98%.

He still has pneumonia so they continue to treat that with antibiotics. He has spent more time sitting in a chair yesterday and today but needs help getting to and from it. Physiotherapy starts tomorrow to help his mobility. As he gets better one of the tests he has to pass is climbing stairs before being allowed out. He is still nauseous, he brought back his tomato soup last night, but managed okay with weetabix today. (Ice cream also seems to stay down).

We are still hopeful that he will continue to make progress and be out in a few days time.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:46 AM   #366

The docs will probably recommend he try things like Ensure and protein drinks, which are usually far easier to digest, and optimized for nutrients. Tomato soup having acid, i can see that being problematic.

As much as you want him to come home, it's likely they'll want to see his digestion stable before release. and that's often slow to come around. Still, amazing to see his progress so far!
Old 04-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #367

I have a few nephews and nephew in laws that are saying they don't want the vaccine and are saying "I'll be fine". Well, maybe, and maybe not. I'm going to tell them this story. Of course Jeffrey didn't have the opportunity to get the vaccine. Hopefully hearing a specific story about some their age having to go through the suffering will get them to protect themselves.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #368
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I have a few nephews and nephew in laws that are saying they don't want the vaccine and are saying "I'll be fine". Well, maybe, and maybe not. I'm going to tell them this story. Of course Jeffrey didn't have the opportunity to get the vaccine. Hopefully hearing a specific story about some their age having to go through the suffering will get them to protect themselves.
It might help, but it's tough to get the youngin's to listen to good reason. It seems like unless they have "been there and done that" then it can't happen. I suppose I was guilty of it when I was younger, too.

Glad to hear the news with your son...getting better everyday!
Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 AM   #369
Administrator

He has been having protein shakes and the like for the last couple of days since they removed his feeding tube. He is keen to get onto “solid” food again.

Got a text from him this afternoon to say that the physio-terrorists came today instead of tomorrow. They had him marching in place and were pleased to see that his blood oxygen stayed high. As we thought, they will be working towards having him climb stairs and even after he is released home the physiotherapy will continue.

Here’s hoping his digestion improves, his pneumonia gets fixed and his physical strength increases enough to be released home soon. I suppose he will also have to test negative for Covid. When we talked this morning he was telling us about some of the other folks in the ICU with him, and there was one person in an ICU side ward where the doctors and nurses donned an even higher level of PPE before entering the room. Maybe infected with a very infectious variant? The UK does genome sequencing on a very high percentage of Covid cases now that the numbers of infections are low, and the rapid genome sequencing is described as near real time.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:13 AM   #370
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Holy cow, 25 pounds in such a short period of time, that is pretty amazing. I can't wait to read that he has come home.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:03 AM   #371
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He has been having protein shakes and the like for the last couple of days since they removed his feeding tube. He is keen to get onto “solid” food again.

Got a text from him this afternoon to say that the physio-terrorists came today instead of tomorrow. They had him marching in place and were pleased to see that his blood oxygen stayed high. As we thought, they will be working towards having him climb stairs and even after he is released home the physiotherapy will continue.

Here’s hoping his digestion improves, his pneumonia gets fixed and his physical strength increases enough to be released home soon. I suppose he will also have to test negative for Covid. When we talked this morning he was telling us about some of the other folks in the ICU with him, and there was one person in an ICU side ward where the doctors and nurses donned an even higher level of PPE before entering the room. Maybe infected with a very infectious variant? The UK does genome sequencing on a very high percentage of Covid cases now that the numbers of infections are low, and the rapid genome sequencing is described as near real time.
Thanks for telling us what we need to mention in prayer. In the giddiness of his dramatic improvement we forget he has obstacles in front of him
Old 04-15-2021, 11:22 AM   #372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... Now that he is whining at warp factor 5 we can tell that he is definitely on the mend.
That is indeed a great sign.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #373

Is ice cream considered a solid food? He should be given large bowls of it since it seems to stay down.

I literally lol'd at the term physio-terrorist.

Your and yours remain in my thoughts.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Hoping your son continues to improve.
A bit of weight gain and increased strength and mobility, without O2 reduction , will be in my prayers for him today.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #375

Happy to read that he is progressing and hope he soon can take solid foods without issue and stand and walk up those steps!
Wishing him a steady recovery so that covid becomes a distant memory.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #376

It is a general ICU, right? That high PPE room was probably not Covid at all, and they are doing everything they can to protect those patients from Covid, or it might have been a case of MRSA. That stuff is really bad, you know what I am saying.
So glad his Sats are up with activity.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #377

Quote:
LOL yeah I've been called something similar several times in my career. We have a reputation to keep up, you know.

Alan I am sooooooooooo happy to hear how well he is progressing!!! He is young so now that he is on the mend his strength should come back fairly quickly and steadily with PT. Continuing to send healing energy!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 04-15-2021, 07:56 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Alan,
Just so you know, your story is an inspiration to many of us. Praise God he is doing well and will hopefully be home soon. We will continue to pray for him and your family. It is so great to hear a positive outcome after all the bad news we hear.
May God Bless the health care team that worked so hard to help your son.
Thank you for sharing!
Old 04-16-2021, 01:53 AM   #379
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
It is a general ICU, right? That high PPE room was probably not Covid at all, and they are doing everything they can to protect those patients from Covid, or it might have been a case of MRSA. That stuff is really bad, you know what I am saying.
So glad his Sats are up with activity.
This particular ICU is dedicated to Covid patients. On my way up there to drop something off there were directions to other ICU units, he was in ICU 2. I had looked up the stats in our local online newspaper when he went in and saw that the hospital was at its lowest number of Covid patients since December with 27 patients, 6 in ICU. The other patients in the ICU Jeffrey talked about were also Covid patients, he named 3 of them, one was not communicating and then there was the one in the separate room. But you are correct, he could have had additional infections like MRSA rather than a more infectious case of Covid.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:07 AM   #380
Give me a forum ...

I wish there was some way that younger people who are reluctant to get the vaccines could read Jeffrey's story. I don't know what social media young people read these days (being an old person myself).

Anyway, Jeffrey's story is very sobering. But things are definitely looking up.
Closed Thread