Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Apartment dwellers/laundry
Old 03-31-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apartment dwellers/laundry

Is anyone's primary residence an apartment? Did you flee somewhere? Are you still using a public laundry facility? Washing machines aren't allowed in apartments in my building and I don't want to use the laundry room so I ordered things to do laundry by hand. I learned a little about plumbing. I already had a washboard but I may order a larger one.

Here's what I ordered, and a diagram of my plan to put a Utilatub in my bathroom. I removed the mid-century semi-recessed hamper. It's not going back in since it's old fashioned anyway. I temporarily covered the hole with Tyvek house wrap (not shown). The tile is speckled which they don't make anymore so I'm going to figure out how to paint specks on white tiles while keeping the tiles somewhat scrubable, if possible.

So yeah, I already have the basin but I'm waiting for the pipes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parts.jpg (31.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg hamper-basin-bathroom.jpg (79.1 KB, 56 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I take it showering with the clothes on you wanted washed did not work out as well as envisioned? : )

They used to make a fake tile board, or even a sheet of 1/4" white plastic would cover that for you temporarily. I think they sell that white plastic near the plexiglass in home improvement stores in 2x4 feet pieces. Another temporary fix could be the plastic diffuser piece they sell for drop ceilings to put over florescent fixtures.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:53 PM   #3

Try searching for "off grid washing machines". Like your great-grandma used to do:

https://morningchores.com/manual-washing-machine/

23 Off Grid Washing Machines-Do Your Laundry Without Electricity – The Self-Sufficient Living

https://www.survivopedia.com/off-grid-washing-machine/

There are plenty more, but you get the drift.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You could also just wear easy to wash and dry clothes, like made out of Tencel, microfiber, etc. Avoid cotton which is heavy and absorbs water well. Or just crank up the heat/ A/C and wear minimal clothing.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
Is anyone's primary residence an apartment? Did you flee somewhere? Are you still using a public laundry facility? Washing machines aren't allowed in apartments in my building and I don't want to use the laundry room so I ordered things to do laundry by hand. I learned a little about plumbing. I already had a washboard but I may order a larger one.

Here's what I ordered, and a diagram of my plan to put a Utilatub in my bathroom. I removed the mid-century semi-recessed hamper. It's not going back in since it's old fashioned anyway. I temporarily covered the hole with Tyvek house wrap (not shown). The tile is speckled which they don't make anymore so I'm going to figure out how to paint specks on white tiles while keeping the tiles somewhat scrubable, if possible.

I would go with a 22 or 45 degree angle section for the pipe rather than 90 degrees, it will flow out better into the tub and not drip back, without the need for a drop down section.

As for your hole in the wall, consider tile in some sort of a pattern, perhaps a thin boarder, and then some design inside. it will look purposefully different with the need to falsely match existing tile.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I would go with a 22 or 45 degree angle section for the pipe rather than 90 degrees, it will flow out better into the tub and not drip back, without the need for a drop down section.

That's the first thing I looked for. With the right internal threads to directly fit the basket. Then I learned how it's supposed to fit and I searched for a "tailpiece" that takes a hat gasket and I found what I found. I'll just deal with it and level the basin to make sure it doesn't tilt forward.

Quote:
As for your hole in the wall, consider tile in some sort of a pattern, perhaps a thin boarder, and then some design inside. it will look purposefully different with the need to falsely match existing tile.
Good idea. First I want to see how well I can match the tile. I plan on inventing a speckle tool of some sort.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Unless you have it full of water that freestanding fiberglass tub is going to dance all over the place as you scrub. Assuming you have a metal bathtub I'd just put a pad on the floor for my knees and stick the washboard in the tub. Maybe with a washcloth under the legs. I've washed more than a few oriental rugs using a 1x4" board cut to fit between the tub end walls and on top of the tub. I just fill the tub, submerge the rug (these are mostly under 50" wide Kazaks), then bring the rug up to go over the board, where I can scrub it in 4" strips and then cycle the cleaned rug back into the tub on the other side of the board. I just sit on the edge of the tub while scrubbing.

Big believer in not tearing stuff apart and keeping things simple.

Edit. have two fiberglass tubs like that in some apartment laundry rooms and have/had multiple double cement tubs in other laundrys.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:22 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I lived without a washer. Dryer many years ago. I pretty much did wash in the kitchen sink daily. It didn’t seem to work to do a load like with a washer. I used a new toilet plunger for the agitator.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have a hand crank washing machine for emergencies called a wonderwash. When we live in an apartment I had a small apartment sized washer and dryer. I could hook the washer up to the sink. They worked really well.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #10

we're hunkered down in an RV resort and using the park's laundry facilities. no real choice.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 03-31-2020, 07:08 PM   #11

One of our sons lives in an apartment and comes over every Friday and we do dinner together while he does his laundry here.

We are all staying isolated for the time being. He had some asthma symptoms including chest tightness last week so he missed coming over here last Friday. He said if he gets low on underwear he'll just order some new ones on Amazon Prime! Eventually he's going to have to do some laundry.

I was quite worried about him having asthma symptoms, but he's taking his temp and says he feels fine. He also told me that when we had a few days of nice weather he had his windows open and this is most likely seasonal allergy stuff.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post

I don't understand the "removing the hamper" bit. What does that have to do with setting a washtub near the bath tub?

As mentioned, why not use the washboard in the bathtub. And learn to make music?

The first link I found was for an electric washboard. Probably not a good idea near the bathtub!

-ERD50
Old 03-31-2020, 10:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't understand the "removing the hamper" bit. What does that have to do with setting a washtub near the bath tub?
Space issues. I need every extra inch I could get and the hamper stuck out about 5 inches. It's only partially recessed.

Quote:
As mentioned, why not use the washboard in the bathtub.
I imagined it being much harder. It would take longer to get the water deep and I figured that may be an issue, and I'd be on my knees for...IDK. Maybe 30 minutes. For $37 plus the optional pipes I avoided that.

I have a room to store it in so it doesn't have to be in the bathroom all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bathroom.jpg (19.9 KB, 154 views)
Old 04-01-2020, 08:05 AM   #14

I think this is all overkill. Just do a white wash load with bleach. The bleach will kill any nasties. Then do your colors with regular detergent.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I think this is all overkill. Just do a white wash load with bleach. The bleach will kill any nasties. Then do your colors with regular detergent.
I think everyone thinks it's overkill. I haven't seen any other basin sized boxes by the mailboxes so I guess I'm the only one doing this. But I read about how people used to do laundry, scrubbing both sides of each piece, soaking overnight, two rinses, then boiling for 30 minutes. I figured I'd free up the bathtub and kitchen sink and get a dedicated wash basin.

I can also justify the basin because it would retain the heat longer than an equal amount of water in the bathtub and slow evaporation. It will also make it easier to store extra water for washing and flushing when a hurricane is coming and when the building's boiler is being repaired or cleaned.

Now, the arbor press may have been overkill. I'm glad my offer was declined because I think I'd need a 2 ton press. I'm getting by with 14" bolt cutters to flatten a small section of formed hardened steel pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay-orders-tailpiece-juice.jpg (28.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 04-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I've heard good things about this:

https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Portable.../dp/B07BD2G4TY

My son is thinking about getting one - the condo he lives in has the same "no washer" rule, but people put a nice thick towel down in their tub, place this in the tub and do their laundry (his condo washers are like $3 a load!). When you are done, just stick it in a closet. You air dry after that - but that is what we do anyway in Colorado - it is so dry that clothes dry very fast.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #17

I think it's a great idea. There are all kinds of RV/Marine/Apartment washers and even washer/dryer combinations, both manual and electric. But this is cheap and simple.

I like the idea of the washboard to go with it, though. It really won't be a huge deal for one person to keep up with, at least until it comes time to wash all the bedding.

I don't see why the 90-degree drain won't work.

The only quibble I have is trying to match the tile. It'll never look right. Just put a piece of PVC board in there with some sort of molding around it, and stick a vinyl pattern to it like it was supposed to be there.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - In case I was not clear, I think you have a great simple solution to not expose yourself to covid-19 by doing laundry in the laundry room.

By the way, what you have there is how we did laundry for decades, every summer at our cabin for about 70 years, washboard and filling the galvanized tub with buckets of water. Clothes, towels, sheets all done that way.

Of course ours was outside, so hanging up clothes was unlimited, the hardest thing to hang up is the sheets as they are so large.

For the last 30 years at the cabin I've been lazy and boat to the mainland, drive 12 miles, and use a laundry-mat on grocery shopping days, but I hate the wasted time in the laundry-mat.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #19

The entire section of wall to the right of the bathtub doesn't even need tile. I could take it all off and use the top trim tile that I removed to trim the side of the tile by the tub, and that's where it would terminate. I could use wooden base molding where the bottom tile was. I looked at bathroom pictures to confirm that towel racks don't need to be against tile. I'd take down all the wall paper and paint, which I wanted to do anyway.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
You could also just wear easy to wash and dry clothes, like made out of Tencel, microfiber, etc. Avoid cotton which is heavy and absorbs water well. Or just crank up the heat/ A/C and wear minimal clothing.
can confirm after living out of a regular backpack. nylon underwear. tech fabric shirts, shorts and pants. cotton socks and jeans take 20 years to dry and then theyre crunchy. wash in the sink. wring out. then lay flat on a towel, roll up and ring out again. hang from anything. dry in the morning.
Closed Thread