Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
A total turn around from the days of yore when I tried to entice people, (OK, OK, young women), to come into my place.
I'm open to women visiting for a threesome, but somehow I don't think that's gonna happen...

Otherwise, no one ever comes to our house except for UPS, FedEx, and USPS deliveries. Most of the time I never even see them, they just drop the package on the porch and run.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2020, 08:03 AM   #42

Nope. Had a 55th birthday party planned for hubby on April 3. We've already canceled.
Are You Allowing Others Into Your Home
Old 03-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Are You Allowing Others Into Your Home

My two twenty something nephews wanted to stop by yesterday. They’ve been out and about all week despite the Massachusetts guidance to stay out of crowded places like restaurants etc. We told them come up and visit when this blows over.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
We are done with visitor for awhile.

I cancelled the cleaning service in January - more because now that I am retired I can do it. Would have cancelled this month otherwise. My elderly parents are giving their cleaning person paid time off.

No community spread detected here yet - so we had our hair stylist come to the house yesterday.

I also had the AC units tuned up last week. Glad I did because one unit was on its way out the door with a leak. No other contractor repairs anticipated.

Our poker game has been suspended. More time at the beach with the neighbors.

Gym memberships suspended for a few months and now have free weights at home.

All of our preparations will appear to be overdone before the peak of the pandemic, and after it is over it will evident that we did not do enough.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #45

I've decided that we shouldn't allow anyone who knows us into our home. That may seem silly, but it's primarily because of one of the many new policies that DH's employer has implemented that doesn't appear to be too well-thought out, considering the restrictions on who qualifies for a coronavirus test. The way it's written, the employees could actually lose their jobs.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #46

We've been self isolating since we returned home from 2 months in Arizona. Last Monday I was diagnosed with a mild case of strep throat and sinusitis. My DW 4 days later with the same. I see no reason to expose anyone else or be exposed to anything else at this time. We'll be doing our part to flatten the curve.
Unfortunately there are still too many unknowns about this virus. I've not had any fever and have a wet cough and sinus draining. My DW has the same along with a low grade (below 100şF) fever. Neither has any muscle aches or shortness of breath.
It's a good time to be an introvert!
Old 03-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Only kids/GK so far, although tomorrow furnace repair is coming, but they stay out in the garage.
I am spraying/wiping/disinfecting surfaces in the house daily, probably overkill, but I don't care.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
I've decided that we shouldn't allow anyone who knows us into our home.
Nobody who knows me would want to come here.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, after thinking about it, I am canceling installation for now. Cheaper, faster internet is just not worth the risk.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #50
Administrator

Our cleaning lady came today while we were out at lunch. She normally does us and the next door neighbors on the same day. However, they are about ten years older than us and more vulnerable, so they asked her not to clean today. They paid her anyway, which is very nice. She is due back in two weeks. We'll reevaluate closer to that time, but if we cancel, we'll also still pay her.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #51

We had visitors last weekend who flew in out of town and a new set of visitors this weekend. They were DH's friends, and he was not willing to cancel their visit. It was such an awkward situation to be in.

Nobody seemed concerned like me; I felt like the paranoid one of the group. We did the whole elbow bump thing and I refused to go out and about with the ones that came this weekend, but still...they went out and about and came back to my house.

Visitors left today and I am DONE. Recluse time.

Have to say last night I developed a slight tickle in my chest and am coughing occasionally. No fever, thankfully. Let's hope it's allergies. The pollen is indeed pretty bad right now.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Mine refuses to dust or clean toilets.
My robot won't do that either. Remember Rosie from the Jetsons? I thought they'd have those by the time I grew up, but apparently not...

Yes our cleaning lady is still coming. I'm terrible at keeping the house clean and she loves bleach, so she's disinfecting.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I are self-isolating as we are over 60. This includes no other family member contact. Family members include toddlers, commercial airline pilot, volunteer coordinator (still working). All, IMHO could be vectors. Lots of FaceTime, texts, videos and calls. But, no one comes into our home; we don’t visit theirs.

We’ll reevaluate in 14 days when there is more data and experience with this bug.

We do walk 3-5 miles/day and are thinking of taking a 2 hour drive for picnic on the coast this Sat to get out of here. Should be manageable w/o any close human contact.

When the dust settles I want to know we did our part for our community and bad outcomes will be in spite of our best efforts; not because of a lack of effort.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Our cleaning lady came today while we were out at lunch. She normally does us and the next door neighbors on the same day. However, they are about ten years older than us and more vulnerable, so they asked her not to clean today. They paid her anyway, which is very nice. She is due back in two weeks. We'll reevaluate closer to that time, but if we cancel, we'll also still pay her.
Our next day is this Friday, and I'm about to text her to tell her not to come, we'll pay her anyway. We did that when she had back surgery, too. But we've known her for almost 20 years, though.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

We've decided nobody comes in for a few weeks.

Nice neighbor is getting a few groceries for us tomorrow, but per his suggestion, he wants to stay away from us and will just deliver them to our porch.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #56

We had planned a spring break party for this Friday. We had 10 people coming over. We just canceled the party in the interest of keeping everyone safe and maintaining the sanctuary status of our house. Between the virus and it's impact on society, and the markets and it's impact on my portfolio I feel pretty melancholy.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Trying to decide what to do about the housekeeper (she does an excellent job by the way and I am sure needs the money). I hate to clean so I really want her to come if I can figure this out. We are in our late 60s and DH has some a chronic health problem (psoriatic arthritis) so we are high risk but otherwise pretty healthy. We always leave when she comes so I was thinking of asking the housekeeper to wear disposable gloves (we have some we can give her). Then we would stay gone (maybe a picnic at the park) and stay away from the house 2-3 hours after she is gone. What do you think? If we tell her not to come we would probably pay here anyway and then I would have to clean the house myself--oh no!
Old 03-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Trying to decide what to do about the housekeeper (she does an excellent job by the way and I am sure needs the money). I hate to clean so I really want her to come if I can figure this out. We are in our late 60s and DH has some a chronic health problem (psoriatic arthritis) so we are high risk but otherwise pretty healthy. We always leave when she comes so I was thinking of asking the housekeeper to wear disposable gloves (we have some we can give her). Then we would stay gone (maybe a picnic at the park) and stay away from the house 2-3 hours after she is gone. What do you think? If we tell her not to come we would probably pay here anyway and then I would have to clean the house myself--oh no!
If you're worried about your own health, ask her to wear a surgical mask. If she is an asymptomatic carrier, that will greatly reduce the risk to you and your husband. Personally, we're healthy and we don't want to risk it, more for the general good than for our own health, but we're all involved in health care or public health in our household.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #59

I would clean myself, and pay her anyway, and if I have enough masks laying around to consider giving to a housekeeper I'd donate them to the nearest hospital instead.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

We're really staying away from others. To take the granddaughter for allergy shots, we call in from the parking lot and she goes in alone for 30 seconds. Then we leave--watching for any allergic marks on the injection point.

We do go to Walmart every couple of days, but there's so few people there that we don't get close to anyone. And for once we're glad to do self-checkout not touching anything.

I went 200 miles yesterday for business and saw my niece, nephew and brother in law from 10' away. I'm sorry I couldn't see my sister who was at home, but I'm not breaking our family rules.

Next week we're going to our RV. No corovirus will be coming from nature, and I'm sure all the card playing and shooting pool is cancelled in the game rooms. The kids will be playing their electronic games and tablets anyway.
Closed Thread