Are You Allowing Others Into Your Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden sunsets

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We returned early from our winter stay in Mexico this past week. So far no one else has been in our home since we left. We normally have our cleaning service, a crew of 4 people, come every other week. I'm leaning toward canceling, even if we pay them anyway, to keep the space pure. Anyone else protecting your homes in this manner?

No, not doing any exclusions.

We are scheduled to have our house painted in April, inside and outside. DH decided today he is only going to have the outside done, doesn't want contractors inside if not necessary.

We returned early from our winter stay in Mexico this past week. So far no one else has been in our home since we left. We normally have our cleaning service, a crew of 4 people, come every other week. I'm leaning toward canceling, even if we pay them anyway, to keep the space pure. Anyone else protecting your homes in this manner?
Yes, but not because of the spread of Coronavirus. Nobody has been in my home except Frank, since the termite inspector came here last June. I am such an introvert, I know.

I had a contractor out to do some tree trimming. He made a show of opting to fist bump instead of shaking my head (like germs are only on palms I guess?) before then handing me his business card. Before leaving, he also let me know his unsavory conspiracy theory on the source of the virus... so he won't be re-hired...

I probably wouldn't have groups of non-friends/family in the house at this point, and I appreciate the OPs idea/intent to pay them anyway, as they are likely going to have a lot of unpaid cancellations.

I cancelled a dinner party for old friends last week. No one except son's girlfriend.

We're due to be termite tented in April... May have to cancel because hotels may be shutting down. But if we go forward, the inspector dude will have to be inside before the tent goes up.

Our cleaning lady comes every two weeks and tomorrow is her day. DW and I decided Friday evening we would isolate ourselves and avoid future public contact. However, since there are no reported cases of local community spread we agreed to make one exception to allow her to clean on Monday, then have her take a paid leave of absence for a while.

While she's cleaning on Monday we will pack lunch and take a drive in the Hill Country to check out the Spring wildflower crop. :)

MIL, DW , and me are the only people to be in our house since Jan 1. Orkin guy will be back monthly starting in April.

A total turn around from the days of yore when I tried to entice people, (OK, OK, young women), to come into my place.

Last edited:
I cancelled a dinner party for old friends last week. No one except son's girlfriend.

We're due to be termite tented in April... May have to cancel because hotels may be shutting down. But if we go forward, the inspector dude will have to be inside before the tent goes up.
We did the same this past week. My friend thought I was nuts, but I stuck to my guns.

Our cleaning lady comes every two weeks and tomorrow is her day. DW and I decided Friday evening we would isolate ourselves and avoid future public contact. However, since there are no reported cases of local community spread we agreed to make one exception to allow her to clean on Monday, then have her take a paid leave of absence for a while.

While she's cleaning on Monday we will pack lunch and take a drive in the Hill Country to check out the Spring wildflower crop. :)

Hey, take pictures! It’ll be beautiful, I’m sure.

Yes I am still allowing people in my home. But, after they leave, I disinfect everything.

We are debating what to do about our cleaning person, who comes once every two weeks. She uses gloves and a lot of bleach, and while we do chat if we're home when she comes, we could ask her to stay 6 feet away, and the house will probably have fewer pathogens rather than more after her visit. But there's only one pathogen to worry about right now, so we're considering offering to pay her to stay home.

EDIT: normally she would be the only person other than us who would come in our house for months at a time.

Last edited:
We had neighbors over for dinner just over a week ago. And they had us and two other neighbors, with kids, over for pie at 3:14p yesterday for PI day. But I imagine we'll all cool it for a while...

We had concert tickets for 3/28, cancelled for a credit Friday. Sad, but only prudent IMO. Over the next few months we have a bunch of concert and theater tickets already bought, I'm afraid we'll have to cancel some of them before this is over - but fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Our two very good friends/neighbors are coming over for dinner tonight. We will probably discuss if our weekly dinners makes sense for a few weeks (months).

We still see family and close friends.

We had concert tickets for 3/28, cancelled for a credit Friday. Sad, but only prudent IMO. Over the next few months we have a bunch of concert and theater tickets already bought, I'm afraid we'll have to cancel some of them before this is over - but fingers crossed.

Don’t know if you’ve seen this idea making the rounds, but you can help support struggling arts organizations by not taking the refunds for cancelled performances, if you’re able.

Have ten people over Wednesday from church because church is closed. We are four months into a major project. Also having dinner with our next door neighbors on Tuesday.

We had neighbors over for dinner just over a week ago. And they had us and two other neighbors, with kids, over for pie at 3:14p yesterday for PI day. But I imagine we'll all cool it for a while...

Don’t know if you’ve seen this idea making the rounds, but you can help support struggling arts organizations by not taking the [-]refunds[/-] for cancelled performances, if you’re able.
Exactly why we did what we did...

Our cleaning lady was just here last week and we deemed it an OK risk.

I did watch on our internal cameras for a while though to see if she was showing any symptoms, call me somewhat paranoid.

Now that our area has community spread I'm not sure about next time. Might just ask her if she is feeling any symptoms.

Maybe for our kid, who lives about 20 minutes away, but that will be it. The planned trip of my BIL and his wife for the end of this month has been postponed, likely to early Fall. My DW really had to put her foot down for that, because if left to his own devices, my BIL and wife would fly from CA to TX in two weeks. :mad:

Last edited:
We went to our annual wild game feast yesterday at the sportsman's club, attendance was less this year; it has been an event since 1987. We still are having our neighborhood wine tasting in late April unless we all dead.

We don't plan on hosting any dinners or parties and don't have a cleaning person. A best friend may be coming for a brief visit after some air travel (pleasure) out of the country (which I think is stupid at this time.) Now he is reconsidering and I hope drops the idea. If he does visit, we will be social distancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom