Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
I am not the one that said it was NOT going down but I use this data and it does appear that it may have leveled off.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

The link you provided states that the reporting lags 2 weeks so maybe that is the difference.....don't understand how worldometers could have the data before the link you provided but...
This is the difference between "Deaths by Date of Death" (FL official dashboard) and "Deaths by Date Reported" (Worldometers). Worldometers puts all 83 deaths that were reported yesterday into a single dot on the chart. Florida takes the 83 deaths and adds them to the bars that correspond to the dates when they actually occurred, so the most recent bars will always appear to be trending downwards until all the data comes in.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep.

You have to ignore the last 2 weeks or so on the deaths by date graphs. They always look like they are magically going to zero, but it’s actually that the graph is incomplete. Maybe at some point in the future those graphs will be useful looking back, but they do not give a real-time trend indication.

For that reason many sites track deaths by dates reported, and also show 7 day average for smoothing. Such as New York Times.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:20 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/op...2a615dc7837c86

Florida Dept of Health data shows deaths are declining per the above link. Hopefully, the link works. What data are you looking at that supports your statement, "Deaths no really going down in FLA"
As @Cathy63/@Audreyh1 stated, effectively the Florida death chart fills in the deaths on an as of basis going back to the date of death.
Thus the daily deaths when first reported for that day are typically under reported and has the appearance that the death rate is declining.
Just a little statistics trickery. Wouldn't expect anything less from Florida.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #124

Not Florida, but we did pull the plug on our normal 2 month sojourn in Puerto Vallarta. We had already paid half of our annual cost, but the unit owner has agreed to apply the funds to winter 2022. We are not looking forward to an entire winter in northern New England. We've decided to install a whole house generator with some of the savings from our dramatically reduced spending this year.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #125

We live in the Phoenix area, and we aren’t snowbirds. But the heat this year seems to be record breaking, and we are looking for options to escape the heat next year. We had planned to go out in the RV this year, but held off due to COVID. We may just go anyway next year, even if the virus is still out there, assuming we can find a spot to park for 3 months.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

Checked today and 2 weeks back the average deaths per day in Florida has dropped to around 50. Not great but probably 25% of the average of 200 deaths per day at the peak. In our little tri county area the majority of recent deaths are the old folks in nursing homes with known exposure to other others with the virus.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to rjk514
Just go and look at the PCB cams...not many masks...if your older your really rolling the dice...I know where my Dr. lives here in Wisconsin...better control of happenings @ home...just sayin...
Old 08-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk514 View Post
Just go and look at the PCB cams...not many masks...if your older your really rolling the dice...I know where my Dr. lives here in Wisconsin...better control of happenings @ home...just sayin...
Funny that you mention Wisconsin. I was there for 9 days earlier this month. At the resort in Wisc. Dells. Where we stayed there was a pool and hot tub right in front of our villa. At one time I saw as many as 14 people sitting shoulder to shoulder in the hot tub. Not a mask in site. We saw no better or worse concern for masks or social distancing in Wisconsin than we see daily now that we are back in FL. Of course we don't hang out at the beaches or at the bars so we feel as safe here as we would anywhere else.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Funny that you mention Wisconsin. I was there for 9 days earlier this month. At the resort in Wisc. Dells. Where we stayed there was a pool and hot tub right in front of our villa. At one time I saw as many as 14 people sitting shoulder to shoulder in the hot tub. Not a mask in site. We saw no better or worse concern for masks or social distancing in Wisconsin than we see daily now that we are back in FL. Of course we don't hang out at the beaches or at the bars so we feel as safe here as we would anywhere else.

This is why we are still planning to head to our house in Florida this winter. Here in Michigan, you can still find plenty of places where people are gathering in large numbers and basically ignoring the social distancing guidelines. Universities are back in session now also, and there have already been a few COVID outbreaks once that happened also, with young people gathering at the taverns and at fraternities, etc.. Florida may have more COVID cases than a lot of states, but it basically comes down to personall behavior, with regard to how much risk you have of contracting the virus. We don't go to bars or the beaches either in Florida (or other places where large numbers of people gather), so we really don't feel like we are putting ourselves at risk by traveling to our Florida house this winter. There is no way I am spending the whole winter in Michigan..........did that for 55+ years of my life, and I'm done with Michigan winters.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Just thought that I would mention another item to consider. Here in Vermont the covid numbers are really low. There are numerous snowbirds that are Florida residents that normally split their time between Vermont and Florida that plan to spend more time in Vermont and as a result may spoil their Florida residency for tax purposes and have to file as Vermont residents.

Quote:
Snowbirds looking to avoid coronavirus hot spots may not be able to avoid Vermont’s income taxes.

Many snowbirds are retirees who winter in Florida, and stay there just long enough to qualify as residents and enjoy that state’s lack of an income tax. They then return to Vermont for the spring and summer months. But with COVID more prevalent in Florida, some may be considering staying in Vermont this winter. Governor Scott was asked if he’d support giving those people a tax break in the name of safety.

“I don’t mind having the conversation, but I am struggling with that one just a bit, because it puts the burden on the rest of folks who have chosen to stay in Vermont, pay taxes in Vermont, live in Vermont and so forth,” said Governor Scott.

The governor said Vermont’s low COVID rate is just one of the benefits of living in Vermont and he suggested those people might consider becoming year-round residents again.

https://www.wcax.com/2020/08/26/shou...te-income-tax/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #131

Worldometer is reporting 529,466 active cases in Florida, for a population of 21,477,737. That implies that 2.46% of the population is known to have COVID-19 right now - the highest percentage in the US, by some margin, although AZ and GA are around 2%.

That wouldn't be so bad if Florida was doing lots of testing and hence finding lots more asymptomatic cases, but it ranks 25th among states for testing per million people. (GA is a little higher, AZ a little lower.)
Old 09-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

What is the Florida positivity rate right now? I wasn’t able to get the Johns Hopkins website to show me the graph.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:15 AM   #133

We started Spring snowbirding to Arizona or Utah a couple years ago. While we bugged out early due to covid this year, we made plans for next year.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:35 AM   #134

It is almost impossible to know what is going on in Florida as they continue to change how they collect and/or release the data. It's like comparing apples and oranges from a couple of months ago and now.

Cheers!
Old 09-03-2020, 05:22 AM   #135
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
What is the Florida positivity rate right now? I wasn’t able to get the Johns Hopkins website to show me the graph.
Florida Dashboard reports 5.6% as of yesterday for new cases. https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...8ddedb9b25e429
Old 09-03-2020, 06:45 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Well that is a big improvement! I hope Texas is below 10%. I noticed Texas Rt.live number had gotten down to 0.83 which is way lower than it has ever been. In fact it’s the lowest of all states at the moment.

I did get the Johns Hopkins graphs working again and it shows Florida 7 day average positivity rate at 14% which is far higher than yours.* Texas 7 day average positivity is slowly dropping now 9.7%.

*I only saw 13.5% stated as positivity rate on the Florida state site.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to rjk514
Food for thought....being that most snowbirds are of a somewhat advanced age..the effect on them is markedly worse than the younger folks...so ...are you willing to take that risk...if you just wait this winter out, ea. day we learn more..hopefully a vaccine comes soon ...simply not worth the risk...
Old 09-11-2020, 11:29 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

My biggest issue with going back to FL (my primary residence) is that there seems to be so many rabid anti-maskers and naysayers. It could make for some pretty unpleasant encounters. I don't know if this is over and above the "normal" Florida man stuff or not, but it just seems like there's a lot of angry acting out going on.

Down where I live (part time) there's a company called Seed to Table where the owner thinks the whole Covid thing is a hoax, and is doing everything he can to counter the recommended activities (masks, social distancing, etc). I know that in the age of the internet there is an overabundance of focus on the attention whores, but there just seems to be too much going on down there for us to return this year.

I wish it was different, because cold weather sucks. But it is what it is.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:23 AM   #139

harley, I don't blame you. California, Texas, and FLORIDA are in the lead and so many people just don't care.

Cheers!
Old 09-12-2020, 06:23 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
My biggest issue with going back to FL (my primary residence) is that there seems to be so many rabid anti-maskers and naysayers. It could make for some pretty unpleasant encounters. I don't know if this is over and above the "normal" Florida man stuff or not, but it just seems like there's a lot of angry acting out going on.

Down where I live (part time) there's a company called Seed to Table where the owner thinks the whole Covid thing is a hoax, and is doing everything he can to counter the recommended activities (masks, social distancing, etc). I know that in the age of the internet there is an overabundance of focus on the attention whores, but there just seems to be too much going on down there for us to return this year.

I wish it was different, because cold weather sucks. But it is what it is.

That kind of attitude is certainly not unique to Florida - you can find people all across the country that think COVID is a hoax. I'm not even sure there are a higher percentage of people like that in Florida. There are plenty here in the Midwest, too. If I am aware of a business like the one you described, I simply avoid going there.
Closed Thread