Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are still in Mexico and we just went out for the first time after Jalsco opened up. Things are looking good and and are planning to return north in July and hope to return next winter.

We hope Jalisco will learn from Texas at al and return to being more cautious. But we will continue to be cautious before committing to return. Because we are owners, we can leave the decision to the last minute.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We usually go to Arizona for a couple of months - October and November - to play baseball and mountain bike. While the baseball tournaments are still scheduled at this point, most of the teams that I've played for don't appear to be planning to go this year. I'm not sure I'll sign up if they do.
I don't think we'll be making the trip based on the pandemic situation there, seems more prudent to stay home where we're better prepared, and where (at this moment, anyway) the spread seems more controlled.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It's interesting how many people get onto the beach at pre-dawn - hoping, like you and me, to avoid other people.
You're safe from me. When I see the sun coming up I go to bed whether I'm tired or not.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:12 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You're safe from me. When I see the sun coming up I go to bed whether I'm tired or not.
Abraham Van Helsing was asking after you.....

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-01-2020, 05:34 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nope
Old 07-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup. But our Canadian friends had to cancel all of their reservations due to the lack of health insurance options. We may still see them in March as that's the only reservation they kept for now.

The "45-days in advance for a refund" cancellation policies caused them to change their minds because their health insurer said they won't insure anyone in 2020 but may in 2021. They could not chance it.

Ray.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

One shoe to drop for Canadians was Medipac travel medical announcing this week they would cover Covid in US this winter.

Canadians are allowed to fly to US without restriction but DW is hesitant to fly. Not to be defeated, Canadians can take the train into the US! So I have hatched a plan to train from Montreal to Albany and then a one way car rental to Florida. And buy a car there, which is what most eventually do.

I am confident we can hide from the virus with food delivery and distancing, but I would need to see the county hospitals to be in good enough shape to take care of us if needed.

I think recent experience suggests that the southern cases will follow the curve and burn out over two months. Windows closed weather due to cold or heat may be the common thread.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #28

DW and I are rapidly losing interest in our FL winter trips. Last season we made 3 trips with a considerable expense involved. DW commented we spend about 1k to fly back home to buy Grandma groceries.
This year we only have one trip booked, only because of a soon to expire voucher. Maybe we'll bite the bullet and skip the trip. We'll end up saving about 10k in the process.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Absolutely plan to snow bird this coming winter in Florida!
Old 07-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Same here. Portland to La Quinta for 2 months plus family and friends visits on the way down and back for a total of 90 days January to March.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

For those who determined still snow bird to Florida this winter, do you have a 2nd home there or go through rentals?

In the past, we would have booked a rental by now via airbnb, but given the situation in FL, we haven't done anything yet
Old 07-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a place near Winter Haven, and yes we plan on going in January.
Could that change? Of course.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:30 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'm hoping to but it's too soon to say for sure
Old 07-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

We snowbirded in FL for 7 winters and then AZ for 3 winters; always in a rented condo (FL) or rented house (AZ).

This coming winter we don't expect the virus situation in AZ to be good enough for prudence, so we'll probably stay home.

But if we did decide to go and rent, does anyone have data on rental prices going up or down near Phoenix?
Old 07-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

We live full time in Florida in the Tampa area. We are not taking any trips away from home probably until late next year. We are concerned about getting exposed to the virus while we are traveling. The safest way to travel is by car, I believe, but you still get close to people at restaurants, rest areas, and the front desk staff at hotels.
Like anywhere else, you can stay safe if you avoid other people. My wife has stayed at home for since March 6 (when a 5 month trip to SE Asia ended). I go to a local grocery store twice a week and occasionally to Home Depot. Casual short contacts with people is supposed to be safe per the experts.

So it would be fine to come to Florida for the winter, just curtail our social life as we have done.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #36

We don’t snow bird. In fact, we don’t like to leave our home in winter. Too many things can go wrong. Then there is the de- icing of the planes. Or Driving through storms. No thanks. We stay put. Plus- if you just go away for a week or two to a warmer climate it’s like a tease. Nope.

We like all the seasons anyway. And less expensive to stay here. In addition, in terms of owning two homes, I would not want the responsibility, expense and hassle of owning two homes even if we could afford it. Unless we were so rich that we could have full time caretakers, etc.

I honestly don’t get this aversion to snow for those that are retired. You don’t have to trudge out to work each day. It’s nice to put on the fireplace and cozy up. Cooking some nice warm meals like soups and such. There’s some things to do outdoors- snowshoeing, skiing, skating, dog sledding, hockey, ice fishing. Just dress in the right clothes.

Then the holidays - so nice in the northern climates for Thanksgiving and XMAS.

Hey-to each his own I guess. I’m glad I don’t need to worry about it with this COVID complicating it even more.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #37

If you do come, don't expect people to be wearing masks unless you are in a location with a mask mandate. Even then, enforcement varies.

It's terrible down here, so many people not wearing masks - young and old alike.

I only go out for MD appts and grocery pickup. I became surrounded by a bunch of people in the grocery store not wearing masks the last time I went. That was enough for me.

I do walk in my neighborhood daily. And, we did go to a lesser known beach once during mid-week. People, for the most part, kept their distance. I would NOT go during the weekend nor to a popular beach. Also, I've heard our beach town bars are crowded with few people wearing masks.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 07-11-2020, 07:28 AM   #38
gone traveling

I'm in FL longer than normal taking care of relative and it appears many of the snowbirds have stayed. More traffic and busier grocery stores than normal for summer (in a heavy snowbird county outside Tampa).
Old 07-11-2020, 07:37 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

As usual we will drive back to our place in Southern Utah (from Vermont) in September-ish. Our Vermont camp here is isn’t winterized so not much choice. Fortunately where we live most people around us are careful about distancing and mask wearing.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
If you do come, don't expect people to be wearing masks unless you are in a location with a mask mandate. Even then, enforcement varies.

It's terrible down here, so many people not wearing masks - young and old alike.

I only go out for MD appts and grocery pickup. I became surrounded by a bunch of people in the grocery store not wearing masks the last time I went. That was enough for me.

I do walk in my neighborhood daily. And, we did go to a lesser known beach once during mid-week. People, for the most part, kept their distance. I would NOT go during the weekend nor to a popular beach. Also, I've heard our beach town bars are crowded with few people wearing masks.

We are getting to the point where we live FLA where folks are accepting the new normal. Very few folks are mask less anymore in grocery stores or Lowes or Home Depot. We do not go places where the mask less frequent.

I do not feel unsafe in NEFLA when going out doing daily chores, now DW is a different story.