Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
+1

Same for US mail.

Most of my mail goes straight into the recycling bin and wash my hands. The rare piece we keep, we open right away and dispose of the envelope or packaging and wash our hands right away before touching the contents.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I hang mail (letter and mags) on my clothes line in the sun, until sundown. If it's raining, I put it in a designated place in my garage, then hang it out. I use gloves to empty my mailbox, and since I pay all my bills on line, there are just a few things I keep. The junk goes in the garbage.

I undo the cardboard outer boxes outside, using gloves. The interior products I arrange in my garage on a piece of cardboard and let air dry for a few days.

Grocery shopping....I last went on March 24th. The cold stuff I unpack on my garage floor and then put it directly into freezer or fridge. The non-perishable sits on the cardboard with a spray of Lysol spray, for a few days.

I no longer bring my groceries inside in the plastic bags onto the kitchen table to put away.

I also don't bring my shopping purse inside. That too goes on the washline to dry after a wipe off. I take my debit card into the store in a ziploc bag, use it, put it back into the bag, and wash it in soapy water when I get home.

IN my car, I have a box with 91% alcohol, a roll of paper towels, and a garbage bag. After I unload all my stuff into the trunk, I douse my hands, rub vigorously until dry. Then I wet another paper towel and do around my lips and nostrils, even going IN to my nostrils with the alcohol soaked cloth. ( TMI I know...) With another wetted towel, I open the front car door, wipe the steering wheel, get in, wipe the inside door handle, and close the door.

So far, so good. I have enough foods left to last at least another week. I have made some face masks for my next trip out. I live alone, so I control my trip to the store for very early in the day.

From Amazon I have ordered: Scotts white bifold towels... the kind that go into a dispenser...they are great and cheap!!..Jars of Smucker's peanut butter....7oz Hershey bars in a 12 pack..for a little treat each day. I gave up candy, but what the heck.

I also picked a good decade to give up drinking 3 years ago...so far I've resisted starting again, but there are days I say O why not?

A good reason is that the PA State Liquor stores are closed....and I don't want to drink anything the grocery store stocks....!

Stay well everyone....!
Old 04-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
+1

Same for US mail.
Not sure if I posted here or on FB, bit its a one minute video of getting the mail process. Pretty simple and almost foolproof (but I have forgotten to move the day indicator once).
Old 04-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No. But my wife does.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Not sure if I posted here or on FB, bit its a one minute video of getting the mail process. Pretty simple and almost foolproof (but I have forgotten to move the day indicator once).

So mail is 3 days now? I thought 24 hours was the number for paper/cardboard and 3 days for metal and plastic.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
So mail is 3 days now? I thought 24 hours was the number for paper/cardboard and 3 days for metal and plastic.
This is like the WR argument, where 3% is the new 4%, and just to be safe we round down to 2.5%.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mail - 24 hours unless wrapped in plastic?

There does seem to be a build up of more and more elaborate sanitation schemes.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #68

No. We just use basic common sense, we always opened packages in garage and brought contents upstairs. We don't wear shoes inside the house either, they are always taken off down stairs. Critters, good and bad, are always out there, and always will be.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #69
gone traveling

I don't inhale my mail, so we haven't done anything different.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #70

Quote:
Adjust the number of boxes to suit your beliefs. I went long for the video because, if someone is watching, they're probably wanting to be conservative. But you could drop down to one box.

My "reasoning" is that the gloves of my mail carrier have the entire neighborhood's germs on them (they all touch their own mail box handle, and she touches every mail box). The 3 vs 1 day is because there is plastic 'windows' on the mail, and the junk mail is often 'coated paper' (shiney), so those may allow the virus to survive longer.

You go without the 'dopomine hit' of new mail for a few days, but then back to the normal daily dose. Who leaves town for a couple of days and worries they won't be able to manage some bit of snail mail?
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, virus