Are your neighbors ignoring the stay at home orders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see at least 5

I should not have posted the picture because it distracted from the point I was trying to make. We have a lot of sand on the beach so it’s not a problem to stay six feet away on the sand.

I like to play pickleball and we have courts near my home. The city told people to stop playing but everybody ignored them and continued to show up. So the city took down the nets. People still show up and either bring a portable net or just hit the ball without a net.

If I was there with just a few other people and nobody else noticed it would not be a big deal. But how do I justify showing up to play while telling everyone else to follow the rules and stay away?

So that was the point I was trying to make with volleyball. The city took the nets down because they don’t want people gathering and playing team sports with shared balls. So now six kids show up and put up their own net and start playing. Will others see that and think they can bring their own nets as well? If that happens we will be right back to where we were before they shut down the courts.

We all have to follow the rules whether we agree with them or not.

Or more people will be come infected and more deaths will result.

sorry, but I don't think wife and I golfing are going to infect and kill people. And it helps to keep us sane (keeping some more people from dying :LOL:).

sorry, but I don't think wife and I golfing are going to infect and kill people. And it helps to keep us sane (keeping some more people from dying :LOL:).

Where did I mention anything about golfing? Any activity that causes people to gather with other people who live in different homes can cause the residents of both homes to become cross contaminated. Nobody has mentioned two people from the same home going out together being a problem anywhere in this thread.

Where did I mention anything about golfing? Any activity that causes people to gather with other people who live in different homes can cause the residents of both homes to become cross contaminated. Nobody has mentioned two people from the same home going out together being a problem anywhere in this thread.

Ok, then we agree! We can go out, do what we need/want to while avoiding others. Thanks!

Or this almost nation wide shutdown will go on for yet more months.

Same for social distancing.

This. Bad job now just extends the pain. A good job for 3 weeks could have really broken the chain.

Unbelievably, there are still several states that don’t even HAVE stay at home orders. Tick Tock.

Unbelievably, there are still several states that don’t even HAVE stay at home orders. Tick Tock.

It's the same selfish behavior at the state level, since they benefit from still being open. Pennsylvania was one of the first states to have a partial shutdown. That's one of the reasons it's unemployment numbers are so high.

Meanwhile, the state's still open are getting revenue, and not burning through their unemployment money.

It's the same selfish behavior at the state level, since they benefit from still being open. Pennsylvania was one of the first states to have a partial shutdown. That's one of the reasons it's unemployment numbers are so high.

Meanwhile, the state's still open are getting revenue, and not burning through their unemployment money.

Or maybe they are not as densely populated and don't need quite as drastic of action?

I can't see my neighbors so I don't know what they're doing. We live on 7 acres and we're just doing stuff in the yard (gardening, fire in the pit, bocce ball etc). I go to work, grocery store, and home. I suspect it would be harder to avoid stir-crazy and other people if you lived in a high density area.

My neighbors are staying home. People walking by the house is way down. People using the stores for recreation and it will just prolong the agony. All of the kitchen bulbs burned out so my husband had to go to Home Depot. If a store is needed only one of us goes.

Or maybe they are not as densely populated and don't need quite as drastic of action?

I think a lot of them are going to find out that they let the virus spread until drastic action still results in a large number of deaths. I get a place like North Dakota being slow to pull the trigger - the R0 in a state with that few people might be low enough to get away with it, although I’m not sure I’d gamble on it. The delay in Florida was inexcusable, though.

I think we are likely to see horrible numbers coming out of Florida a month from now.

My neighbors in Minnesota mostly get it. It’s not perfect, but it can’t be and doesn’t need to be. As long as we get the R0 down well below one, it will do what it needs to.

I’m hopeful that the will be the case in Minnesota. I’m less hopeful for densely populated areas like New York, Chicago, and New Orleans.

The popular trails here in Sedona have finally been closed because no one was following the 6' rule. We haven't been on a trail in awhile, preferring to do our daily walks through our neighborhood: fewer people out and about and the scenery is just as good as the trails. When we encounter people, it's usually easy to keep at least 15-20' separation which sometimes involves crossing to the other side of the road. All our immediate neighbors seem to be social distancing but then all of us are probably 50+.

DH loves to shop and it's hard for him to suppress the urge to go to the store just to pick up something on a whim. He does seem to be getting used to making a list and then ordering it either for pickup or delivery. Plus, he's dealing with being laid off although, since he telecommutes, his being around the house all the time is not a change for us.

For the most part, folks here are following the social distancing, except for the groups of 30 something "moms" who continue to walk together, or a few teens bike riding!:facepalm:
I see Families out together, walking in the neighborhood, and neighbors talk to each ofter from the street to the driveway.

Good for you! Get out and get some walking exercise before someone decides to shut it down "for your own good". :facepalm:

Yep. I'm in Pa and they shut down the public golf course here a week ago. Enjoy it while you can!

Combination of yay and nay for the social distancing here in eastern Pa. At the grocery store, I realized after the fact that I had been chitchatting with the cashier for a minute, only being 3 feet apart from each other. And when I asked the guy behind the fish counter a question, for some reason he came all the way around and stood right next to me, to answer me! Great.

People in our neighborhood are mostly over 60 and seem to be staying in except for outdoor walks, hiking or biking. Traffic is very light, so it seems that most people here are not going out much. We went to the grocery store yesterday, our first outing in 10 days. We’ve been self-quarantining with no visitors for almost 3 weeks now.

Same for us. I walk several miles each day - people separate on the 6 foot wide sidewalk by going to the side of the road when passing. When the neighbors chat outside - we are at least 10 ft apart.

The rural states need to have a stay at home directive just like the rest of us. The directive in even the strictest areas still allows for people to go out and shop for essentials, as well as to get fresh air an exercise. But it shuts down areas where people congregate - restaurants, bars, theaters, etc.

Rural states have restaurants and bars just like everyone else. And people who are inside those space are going to be closer than six feet from each other. So they have just as much risk of getting infected as the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom