Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 10:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad some stores like Costco are mandating masks. Those are the stores I would go to. People who don't want to wear masks can go to stores that don't require them. They will no longer be going to Costco. They can cancel their memberships. Smoking in restaurants is a good example.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

When restaurants begin opening here, we will not be visiting one of our favorites. The manager was curt when we picked up our order, while curbside has been great at other places. I have given all these pep talks to DH about not getting upset when he gets cut off in traffic, etc. because we must show extra patience and kindness during this time, etc. etc. Then, we picked up that order and I forgot all that; the dude was rude.

We will probably forgive him in a few months, but we want to make our statement. : (

But, hey, I did not leave a negative review on Trip Advisor.

We find our local WF feels the safest grocery store to shop in because the customers and employees go to such efforts to keep 6' away; they sorta waltz around each other ....plus....Our son is employed at Whole Foods in Haight Ashbury. Employees wear masks, take temperature before they can begin their shifts, etc. WF has been very good to him while he is in grad school, so we want to help prop up WF. ; >

That being said, we began using Walmart curbside pickup a few weeks ago. We intend to use that service for a long time for our more mundane grocery items.....

Whew, got all that off my chest.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:33 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I own a house that I rent out on AirBnB. Our policy, as the homeowner, has always been to give full refunds for cancellations within 5 days of the actual start date, no questions asked. Every AirBnB owner has the option to do that. There are some AirBnB fees that are controlled by AirBnB, not the homeowner, and AirBnB has chosen to refund those fees as well for now, which is good. But people should know that a lot of homeowners who rent their homes through AirBnB generally do give full refunds, and have done so all along. Once the COVID-19 stuff started, a lot of AirBnB homeowners chose to offer full refunds even if it was at the last minute, including us (and now AirBnB is refunding their fees as well). We understand that these are highly unusual times, and we have no desire to keep someone's deposit if they are unable to make the trip to our house for reasons beyond their control.
Thank you for being such a considerate Air Bnb owner. Folks like you are the reason I will continue to use Air Bnb when I finally get to travel again. The VRBO policy is much different so I will not be using them.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:35 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I also agree with the guideline if you are sick, STAY AT HOME!
I also agree. Unfortunately, many employers have rarely been understanding and push employees to go to work even when they are sick. COVID-19 appears to be changing some of this philosophy.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:36 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I don't blame you. Wearing a mask on a 90 degree day is awful. Can't wait to wear a mask on the 100 degree days coming this summer.

OTOH, I'm quite liking the social distancing part. While not so bad here in central Texas, back in Silicon Valley it was brutal. There were people who insisted their space was their space, and your space was also their space. Anything that gets these people to back off works for me.

I also agree with the guideline if you are sick, STAY AT HOME! We didn't need COVID-19 lockdowns for this to be common sense. Don't go to a store or restaurant ill, coughing and sneezing the entire time. Wearing a mask out in public when you know you are ill is also stupid unless you are heading to a medical facility.
The problem is that many many people with Covid-19 do not have symptoms and are still infectious. In Iceland they have tested a large portion of the population and found that a significant portion of the population had the virus with no symptoms and almost all those people had infected others, many of whom became sick.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:38 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Release The Hounds View Post
Are you in Chapel Hill?

I'm in Durham and I will continue to support Costco, Aldi, Harris Teeter and a few local restaurants who I've ordered delivery through Uber Eats, etc.
OP here-yes I am in Chapel Hill and it is our Whole Foods that had several employees set positive starting in March and they told no one.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Thanks gravitysucks (good name!) I did not know that about VRBO. But VRBO still did not protect renters as much as Air BnB has since Air Bnb refunded all my money.

Don’t be too hard on vrbo. The bottom line is the way Airbnb contractually handle rentals is different than vrbo.

Airbnb could refund your money and not pay the owner so all they lost was the commission. Vrbo model already paid owner the deposit and hence if they refunded and owner refused they were on the hook for the whole thing.

Side note. I am actually not a fan of either service. I find both are taking a large share of rental fees for essentially providing a web listing.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
OP here-yes I am in Chapel Hill and it is our Whole Foods that had several employees set positive starting in March and they told no one.

Must be store by store. A DC store had a bunch of people shared the info with employees. The neighborhood was up in arms about it.
Kind of a lose if you do lose if you don’t situation. But they still should notify people as that is part of contact tracing.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:21 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
Must be store by store. A DC store had a bunch of people shared the info with employees. The neighborhood was up in arms about it.
Kind of a lose if you do lose if you don’t situation. But they still should notify people as that is part of contact tracing.
The Chapel Hill Whole Foods did not even tell the other employees when the first employee tested positive and now several other employees have the virus. It has been all over our local news.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I’ll be doing the same as the OP, also in NC. Those establishments that take PPE, distancing and cleanliness seriously will get my business. Others will not for a long time if ever.

Unlike the OP, our local Whole Foods started with coronavirus precautions sooner and still take them noticeably more seriously than any other local grocer.

By the same token, our former favorite coffee place will never get another dime from us. They were sending emails actively pushing coworking for almost two weeks AFTER stay in place orders (and they’re promoting it again with no mention of distancing), posted pics on FB with people way to close and no masks (below, note date) and a few other acts well outside the spirit of SIP. We’ll never be back.

There was a striking difference in the restaurants we support buying takeout. Some were/are very well organized, others were clearly winging it/not taking precautions seriously. That’ll leave an impression on us.

It’s going to get interesting when we reach Phase 2 on May 23 (if data supports it). I can’t imagine restaurants serving at 50% capacity, but I guess we’re going to find out, nationwide sooner or later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 593E65F5-815F-45D0-840A-697760301E60.jpeg (249.2 KB, 112 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

So.....how will it work when dining inside a restaurant? I assume you are expected to wear a mask upon entering the restaurant. Then keep your mask on while you are seated and then when drinks are served the masks obviously need to come off? The masks stay off until dinner is over and then put the masks back on when leaving?

Also, assuming seating will be limited to every other table and all employees will wear masks all the time? THis will cause longer waiting times and do away with reservations on busy nights. First come, first served.

Problem will be restaurant capacity will be reduced by 50% for dining in and many who have survived so far may not be able to survive much longer.

The fact that restaurants will be able to serve liquor in house will help as the profit margin is much higher than on food.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
When restaurants begin opening here, we will not be visiting one of our favorites. The manager was curt when we picked up our order, while curbside has been great at other places. I have given all these pep talks to DH about not getting upset when he gets cut off in traffic, etc. because we must show extra patience and kindness during this time, etc. etc. Then, we picked up that order and I forgot all that; the dude was rude.

We will probably forgive him in a few months, but we want to make our statement. : (

But, hey, I did not leave a negative review on Trip Advisor.

We find our local WF feels the safest grocery store to shop in because the customers and employees go to such efforts to keep 6' away; they sorta waltz around each other ....plus....Our son is employed at Whole Foods in Haight Ashbury. Employees wear masks, take temperature before they can begin their shifts, etc. WF has been very good to him while he is in grad school, so we want to help prop up WF. ; >

That being said, we began using Walmart curbside pickup a few weeks ago. We intend to use that service for a long time for our more mundane grocery items.....

Whew, got all that off my chest.
Glad your son made it to SF and is doing well [emoji4]
Old 05-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
When restaurants begin opening here, we will not be visiting one of our favorites. The manager was curt when we picked up our order, while curbside has been great at other places.
A friend of mine recently told me that when she last visited one of her usual restaurants, an independent pizza shop, the owner was ranting, swearing, slamming things around, absolutely furious because he was so busy. The phone wouldn't stop ringing. He said that all these customers were just using him and wouldn't be back when everything opened up again. I told her that maybe he should visit some of the other restaurants that have become ghost towns and then he might have some gratitude for his fortunate situation.

Anyway, I haven't been in too many different places, just the same few grocery stores and restaurants, and everyone working there has been courteous. I've tried to be extra courteous to the people who are out there working in these stressful times. Working with the public can be difficult in the best of times.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #34

I'm not going to let the actions of a store under extreme stress determine whether or not I give them my future business.

I don't expect a proprietor who has been struggling to stay open and dealing with reams of regulations to get an emergency loan to turn away business just because that customer doesn't have a mask.

When I look at the extreme issues I've dealt with and then imagine adding on trying to keep a business/my livelyhood and employees afloat on top of that I'm going to cut them a lot of slack.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #35

Unfortunately, whether or not to require a mask has taken on a partisan tone and found yet another way to divide the country.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I'm not going to let the actions of a store under extreme stress determine whether or not I give them my future business.

I don't expect a proprietor who has been struggling to stay open and dealing with reams of regulations to get an emergency loan to turn away business just because that customer doesn't have a mask.

When I look at the extreme issues I've dealt with and then imagine adding on trying to keep a business/my livelyhood and employees afloat on top of that I'm going to cut them a lot of slack.
OP here, I would give a restaurant owner some slack for some things--maybe not as courteous as I would like or something like that but I will NOT give them slack for not being safety conscious. If they don't wear masks, gloves, etc. they will not get my business. So many restaurants are begging for business-- the ones that will get mine are the ones I believe are taking safety seriously.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Unfortunately, whether or not to require a mask has taken on a partisan tone and found yet another way to divide the country.
OP here, very true but each of us can make our own decisions about where to spend our money and I personally am going to spend my money at businesses where masks are worn and other safety precautions taken. I don't think I will have any trouble finding such places to spend money.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I own a house that I rent out on AirBnB. Our policy, as the homeowner, has always been to give full refunds for cancellations within 5 days of the actual start date, no questions asked. Every AirBnB owner has the option to do that. There are some AirBnB fees that are controlled by AirBnB, not the homeowner, and AirBnB has chosen to refund those fees as well for now, which is good. But people should know that a lot of homeowners who rent their homes through AirBnB generally do give full refunds, and have done so all along. Once the COVID-19 stuff started, a lot of AirBnB homeowners chose to offer full refunds even if it was at the last minute, including us (and now AirBnB is refunding their fees as well). We understand that these are highly unusual times, and we have no desire to keep someone's deposit if they are unable to make the trip to our house for reasons beyond their control.
Hi RAE. Could you share a link to your Airbnb or PM it to me? If we're in need of a stay, I'd prefer to support a community partner. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
IMO, this is only in the eyes of a small minority and the news media that looks for more reasons to divide us into camps of fighting mad people.

Most people I know wear a mask. Those that don't never take offense that I do wear a mask (nor should they since masks are intended to help others not oneself)

I do note who is not wearing a mask, and it goes into the calculation as to how friendly I wish to be in the future. But, so far I have resisted the temptation to bash them over the head with my Virtue Signaling baseball bat.

As far as voting with my purse, I have not flown one certain airline in years and I doubt if I will book a flight on them ever again unless it is an emergency and I have no choice. They don't seem to think we are united together is this fight.

I would not hesitate to book a tour with Rick Steves. No problems getting a full prompt refund when I cancelled my tour before he did. And, I might buy one of his tour books this month to read about a location I want to visit on my own when we get back to a more normal world.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
IMO, this is only in the eyes of a small minority and the news media that looks for more reasons to divide us into camps of fighting mad people.
I really hope so. Lots of noise being made.

The elder care home where DF is now allowing immediate family only to visit, and all visitors are required to wear masks.

I just can’t imagine anyone coming to the home to visit their parents and not wearing a mask. Would they really risk exposing their parents or causing trouble at the home?