Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Op here, I have decided to try to spend my money at places where the customers AND employees all wear masks. I don't know how the restaurant thing is going to work--I may not be eating inside a restaurant for a long time. I don't see how many restaurants are going to make it, most of them operate on a shoe string anyway.

+1 So far I only go out for groceries every 2-3 weeks and wear a mask. Hand sanitizer before I get into the car to drive home. The groceries are left in the garage for a few day (except for fresh or frozen items that are brought inside and washed/sanitized before putting away). I strip down in the garage and throw my clothes into the wash. Then I go directly to shower before a refreshing adult beverage. Anything else I order to be shipped to me. It is just the intelligent thing to do.

Do I wear a mask because of fear? No, I wear a mask out of courtesy to the rest of you. That is just the way I was raised.

Cheers!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Absolutely. From yesterday's hike - 1) A young woman walked past us and did a fake sneeze when she got alongside us, 2) A 65+ senior mountain biker stopped as he passed us, looked back at us and started laughing, 3) A group of young 20-something hikers snickered as we stepped off the trail and waited for them to walk past.

All from one hike where we simply and calmly pulled up our masks as we saw folks approaching on the trail, no negative energy whatsoever by us.

Edit: I take that last sentence back - by the time we finished we were pretty replete with negative energy as a result of 1-3 above.
And NY'ers are stereotyped as being rude. I haven't seen anything like the above.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I'm surprised to hear that, especially in California. I do not wear a mask, but just as I expect you to respect my right not to wear a mask I respect your right to wear a mask.
I guess this depends on where you live. If you live in my county you are mandated to wear a mask when you are in public and might come within 6 feet of another person. You are required to have a mask *with you* when you are out in public, even if you are more than 6 feet away, but you don't have to wear it if you are more than 6 feet away. You are required to have a mask on when dealing with public facing businesses (grocery stores, restaurant take out, etc.) I don't generally give respect to people who feel they are immune from rules that apply to everyone else. So if someone here isn't wearing a mask, or have a mask with them, I don't give them respect.

And back to the original topic - I vote with my handbook and won't be travelling to places that don't have rules in place. And I assume you won't be coming to San Diego where mask rules are in place.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Absolutely. From yesterday's hike - 1) A young woman walked past us and did a fake sneeze when she got alongside us, 2) A 65+ senior mountain biker stopped as he passed us, looked back at us and started laughing, 3) A group of young 20-something hikers snickered as we stepped off the trail and waited for them to walk past.

All from one hike where we simply and calmly pulled up our masks as we saw folks approaching on the trail, no negative energy whatsoever by us.

Edit: I take that last sentence back - by the time we finished we were pretty replete with negative energy as a result of 1-3 above.
If this would have happened to me I would be inclined to yell "I think I may be a Covid carrier I am trying to prevent you from catching it." There are a lot of idiots out there.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I guess this depends on where you live.
Indeed it does. Masks are not required to be worn in most places, and even in those places where people think you are required to wear a mask, such as in New York, there are no penalties for not wearing a mask...

It will be up to police departments and sheriff's offices to enforce compliance with the new order, which is meant to help slow the torrid spread of the novel coronavirus in New York, the country's COVID-19 epicenter. But Cuomo has made clear: Nobody will be taken to jail for violating the mask order. And as of now, there are no fines or civil penalties either, meaning law enforcement can't do much other than remind offenders they must cover their face.

"The local governments have police forces," Cuomo said Thursday on CNN. "They can enforce it. They will enforce it. We don't have a civil fine that goes with this now, but we could. And I believe people are going to follow it."
Executive orders that aren’t enforceable put police in “an impossible situation,” said Pat Phelan, police chief in the town of Greece, near Rochester. Phelan, who is president of the state Association of Chiefs of Police, said his officers wouldn’t approach someone who may not be in compliance with the order because there aren’t penalties in place.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ce/5151375002/

The same is true in Los Angeles County...

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villaneuva and L.A. Police Chief Michel Moore aren’t about to cite anyone right now, but officers will offer a few words of encouragement from behind their own masks, worn to reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus.

“We are looking for voluntary compliance. We have discussed it with all the police chiefs in the county,” Villaneuva said. “We aren’t talking enforcement here.” Villaneuva, wearing his own mask, said it is about people doing the right thing for others when they are heading out to essential businesses and are around others.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ies-are-saying
Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #86

Quote:
Indeed it does. Masks are not required to be worn in most places, and even in those places where people think you are required to wear a mask, such as in New York, there are no penalties for not wearing a mask...
I guess it depends on the definition of required: Lack of a specific legal penalty is a pretty low bar IMO. But if you want to say it's not required-under-penalty-of-law, you win.

From the article:

Quote:
"it is about people doing the right thing for others when they are heading out to essential businesses and are around others"
that is enough for me.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #87

Quote:
I mentioned this before.

In Asian countries, the citizens are told to wear masks simply to protect themselves. This message is very straightforward, and most people comply.

In US however, due to the shortage of masks, the government started to tell people that masks do not protect you so do not wear them. Later, it changed to say that wearing a cloth mask is to protect others. (Shortage still, so do not go out and buy N95). This requires all citizens to have higher moral standard in order to burden oneself just to protect others. The rate of compliance is much lower with this message.

What is the penalty of not wearing one? You may get the virus, and you may die.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
What is the penalty of not wearing one? You may get the virus, and you may die.
I don't claim to be an expert, but based on what I have read wearing a mask does not protect you from getting the virus, it might protect others from getting it from you...

the general [sic] consensus among experts is that while wearing some type of mask might not do much to protect you from catching the coronavirus, it might help prevent you from infecting others if you have COVID-19.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...avirus/609283/

Aside from the U.S. government flip flopping on the need for everyone to wear a mask in public, the World Health Organization does not recommend that everyone wear masks in public, only sick people...

As the U.S. mulls asking the general public to wear homemade or cloth masks outdoors, the World Health Organization still officially recommends the use of masks only for sick people or those taking care of someone who is sick.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-re...trys-decisions

Anyone who wants to wear a mask should wear a mask, and should not be shamed for it, but let's not do the reverse and present this as a black and white issue because it's not.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #89

Quote:
I don't claim to be an expert, but based on what I have read, wearing a mask does not protect you from getting the virus, it protects others from getting it from you.
For the most part, this is true. This is some benefit for protection from a virus, assuming you are utilizing proper practices with the mask. Touch the front of the mask at any time, and you are exposing yourself to whatever is layered there, whether from your own breathing or from the air around you.

I see FAR too many people touching their masks while in a store. I also see them raising and dropping their masks entering and exiting the stores.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #90

Quote:
I don't claim to be an expert, but based on what I have read, wearing a mask does not protect you from getting the virus, it protects others from getting it from you.
I am not an expert either. The fact that all healthcare workers, first resonders, and many essential workers are told to wear one, is an indication that masks do protect you. If a droplet can be stopped going out of your month by your mask, the same mask can also stop droplets coming to you.

You may need to wear a N95 mask (like most S Korea citizens are told to wear) in order to effectively protect yourself. Since we can't buy any of them right now, the next best thing is to wear a surgical mask. If you can't even get that, wear a cloth one.

There is chart showing the effectiveness of masks protecting you from various materials, from N95 (95%), to surgical mask, to schawl (60%). Bottom line, wear anything is better than completely naked.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #91

Quote:
I am not an expert either. The fact that all healthcare workers, first resonders, and many essential workers are told to wear one, is an indication that masks do protect you.
Might not be a long term meaningful number, but the % of cases in healthcare workers is lower than the general population in NY, based on more antibody numbers shared today. Could be HC workers are better with overall hygiene or any number of things, of course. Or it could be the masks a bit?

But yes, I wear one because I might be asymptomatic, and it protects everyone around me in public. Bonus if I'm not already carrying but reduce my chance for infection as a result.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

A couple of people in my area in Ontario, Canada were fined $750 (minimum) for breaking the COVID-19 rules. (One person would not stop playing basketball in the park after being asked to stop several times, and I can't remember the second one), but I think those were the first and last violations, so maybe people realized that the govt was serious.

Japan is worse than NY. The Japanese govt doesn't have the power to force businesses to close - there's no law to enfoce lockdown even in a state of emergency. All they can do is request people to comply, and most businesses do comply, but it's not as easy with regular folks, so before a week-long national holiday (Golden Week) coming up, the govt closed down state-managed parking spaces (to beaches etc) well as closing off some of the major expressways.

Evidently some pachinko parlors would not close...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XrRfO-jYrrc
Old 05-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I mentioned this before.

In Asian countries, the citizens are told to wear masks simply to protect themselves. This message is very straightforward, and most people comply.

In US however, due to the shortage of masks, the government started to tell people that masks do not protect you so do not wear them. Later, it changed to say that wearing a cloth mask is to protect others. (Shortage still, so do not go out and buy N95). This requires all citizens to have higher moral standard in order to burden oneself just to protect others. The rate of compliance is much lower with this message.
I agree. The flip-flopping definitely hurt us to be convinced of the need for masks, plus I saw in the news some of the prominent govt officials not wearing facial coverings in close proximity to other people, so that gives people the idea that masks are not really necessary.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #94

Quote:
If this would have happened to me I would be inclined to yell "I think I may be a Covid carrier I am trying to prevent you from catching it." There are a lot of idiots out there.
my sentiment. or say 'masks are for sick people' while coughing.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 05-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
my sentiment. or say 'masks are for sick people' while coughing.
I would have said a lot worse.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

OP here--I don't normally eat at fast food places but there are 2 fast food places in my town doing good things--
McDonalds is giving a free lunch everyday to kids under 12
Chick Filet is giving a free sandwich to all nurses.

If I ever do decide to buy a fast food meal I will remember this and give these places some business.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

We are starting phase one tomorrow which means restaurants can open at 50% capacity. We will eat at local restaurants that have outside dining.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #98
Dryer sheet aficionado

Cloth masks?

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...om-coronavirus

https://globalbiodefense.com/2015/04...hcare-workers/
Old 05-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Op here --in North Carolina masks are strongly recommended but not mandated. But some stores are requiring them.
Big Box stores in Wilmington are 50/50 masks. I’m kinda taken back by the amount of elderly women you see in stores without a mask.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #100

Yawn. Call me when somebody who actually knows something writes an article.
Closed Thread