Best wire-free mask(s) to wear during an MRI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
Hello!

I'm going to need an MRI and plan to wear several layers of masks for protection from COVID.

I'm doing research currently on trying to find masks without nosewires that provide decent protection, since you can't take metal into an MRI.

I may pursue a silicone mask-fitter, assuming those are safe in an MRI. ?

Appreciate any suggestions/leads. There is so much information out there (it's overwhelming!), but most highly rated masks I keep finding have wires to improve the nose fit.

Thanks!

The simplest way might be to find a mask where the nose wire can be removed. Use a band-aid or athletic tape to secure it around the bridge of your nose.

I thought regular surgical masks were highly rated and free from metal. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I had an MRI recently, and wore my Atoms mask. It's not one of the high N95 types, it's my everyday mask though and I like the fit. Once you enter the facility, it should just be you and the tech in the actual MRI room, and they will likely be in full PPE and/or already vaccinated, regularly tested, etc.

MRI places are also allowing more time between patients to clean/air out a bit as well.

Since I'm also claustrophobic I should have taken an eye mask to avoid peeking (and subsequently forcing them to pull me out and restart lol)

I like the idea of removing the wire from a good mask and then maybe a piece of surgical tape to hold it in place.

When I had a couple of MRIs a few years ago they had Sirius/XM with a good pair of headphones, so I could choose what to listen to during the procedure. That helped a lot to relax me.

I bought some of this tape:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QY8V5XT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it to keep the breath from coming up and fogging my safety glasses when working outside. I'd get a surgical mask and remove all metal and then tape up. I'm wondering if that will even be allowed in the MRI. It would be a concern that you might not remove all metal from the mask. Not sure if they provide a mask at the MRI. You may want to call them.

For months, the young wife has been making disposable masks to be used at the beauty salon. They don't have ear straps or nose crimps. Rather, she uses thin strips of double backed tape (like the kind used to deter cat scratching) around the edge to make it stick to her face. She makes the masks with super duty blue shop towel material, but I'm sure it would work with anything. She wears one whenever she goes to have her hair done and brings a bag of extras to leave for others. They have been quite popular at her salon. I bet something similar could work in an MRI machine.

I had an MRI recently, and wore my Atoms mask. It's not one of the high N95 types, it's my everyday mask though and I like the fit. Once you enter the facility, it should just be you and the tech in the actual MRI room, and they will likely be in full PPE and/or already vaccinated, regularly tested, etc.

MRI places are also allowing more time between patients to clean/air out a bit as well.

Since I'm also claustrophobic I should have taken an eye mask to avoid peeking (and subsequently forcing them to pull me out and restart lol)

Check out open MRIs, no tube just a table and a box overtop. I'm not claustrophobic but had one and it was a great, non-cramped, experience.

I just had an MRI this week and when I entered the room with the tech, he told me to put my mask and glasses on a shelf on the wall and then lay on the table. He had a mask on and adjusted my position and then went to the control room area to run the scan. He announced when it was over and I got up and put my mask and glasses back on. I felt comfortable with this process. YMMV.

Last MRI was at Stanford and they require the patient to use their wireless masks. They are yellow to differentiate them from most patient masks.

I just had an MRI this week and when I entered the room with the tech, he told me to put my mask and glasses on a shelf on the wall and then lay on the table. He had a mask on and adjusted my position and then went to the control room area to run the scan. He announced when it was over and I got up and put my mask and glasses back on. I felt comfortable with this process. YMMV.

Ugh. I'm not comfortable with that due to aerosols possibly being left in the room by a prior patient. I will be calling to find out their procedure.

I so appreciate all of the responses. I will call the center to confirm that they provide MRI safe masks (surely they do?!?) and ask if they will give me two, as I prefer to double mask.

I just did some additional reading and have discovered that some masks also have metallic fibers or nanoparticles so I understand why they would want you to wear a mask they deem safe!

I guess that's the best I can do. Hate to bring anything home to family/friends. :(

My last MRI was an army special. Imagine, if you will, a trailer in a parking lot with chain length fence around it. One chair, one desk with the operator's computers. a doorway leading to an MRI machine. Youve just toured the facility. I didnt wear a mask in the tube bc I was the first person in the day and the operator was in another room the entire time with the door shut. It was also very hot even at 730am and i wore a sundress with no bra and had a fan on me. and i was HOT. I dont get claustrophobic but even I was ready to get out of heat tube in trailer in parking lot with fence around it.

^ MrsHaloFire, a hot MRI sounds terrible! Hope the results were good, anyway.

Last August, I wore a cloth mask with a couple of layers and no nose wire. Personnel were all in standard medical masks, not N95s. But this was before the covid variants started emerging.

I had an MRI last month and they provided one for me with no wire, so I expect you will find that to be SOP when you call.

I've had 3 PET/CT scans in the past 6 months for chemo eval. Each time they have me remove my mask, glasses and any metal removable appliance in my mouth. I'm the only one in the room during the procedure, the tech is in another room with a glass window.
Otherwise, I wear my disposable surgical mask as always.

Boose my back was so bad I had a vasovagal blackout with the pain. I waited for the MRI for weeks. Was so thankful I would have done it if fire had been licking at my feet.

Ugh. I'm not comfortable with that due to aerosols possibly being left in the room by a prior patient. I will be calling to find out their procedure.

1. You might want to ask about disinfectant procedures between patients. For example, portable UVC units in the room will knockout any COVID in the air itself, and some hospitals are using them. You are probably more at risk in the waiting area than the procedure room. Also, if they want you to wear their masks (which protects everyone) double mask.

2. Double mask.

3. Consider this n95 mask:

https://envomask.com/

My family physician uses these. You can email the company to ask if they have any metal in them.

I'm curious if you are as concerned when you go to the dentist as for this procedure, where the patient can always be masked? It seems that's about the riskiest thing I do around here, but our transmission rate isn't too bad right now.

1. You might want to ask about disinfectant procedures between patients. For example, portable UVC units in the room will knockout any COVID in the air itself, and some hospitals are using them. You are probably more at risk in the waiting area than the procedure room. Also, if they want you to wear their masks (which protects everyone) double mask.

2. Double mask.

3. Consider this n95 mask:

My family physician uses these. You can email the company to ask if they have any metal in them.

I'm curious if you are as concerned when you go to the dentist as for this procedure, where the patient can always be masked? It seems that's about the riskiest thing I do around here, but our transmission rate isn't too bad right now.

Thank you so much, I will investigate those suggestions. Regarding the dentist, I am much more concerned about the dentist than the MRI, since (1) I cannot wear a mask and (2) dental procedures can produce aerosols.

I had to go to the endodontist recently and chose to be the first patient of the day on a Monday, for those very reasons. I asked about patient procedures and while they were good, they didn't have air cleaners in individual rooms. I still chose to go because I was able to schedule at a time when I felt the risk of aerosols left in the room from a prior patient was minimal.

I now have to have oral surgery for an extraction and thankfully found and oral surgeon who has excellent COVID precaution practices, and HVAC units in each operating room. All staff are also vaccinated. And I will be the first patient of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom