Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
This treatment shows a lot of promise. Here is an article about an immunosuppressed patient that tested positive for 300 days. He accumulated numerous virus mutations over that time that were tracked. He cleared the virus completely with two doses.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34201591/

It is being considered for prophylactic use for people that cannot be vaccinated for various reasons. There are a couple of reported cases of Long Haul patients that have received it and appear to have been cured. That would be very good news, as it's increasingly clear this virus is persistent, and therefore mutating, in many Long Haulers. That makes us viral reservoirs for the species...
I hope and pray this treatment helps the long haulers.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Last evening our local news reported we have a site giving Regeneron a Monoclonal Antibody as a treatment for those that test positive.
I don't know anything about it. Anyone familiar?

That is good news. We definitely need a fall-back therapy. The vaccines are good but not perfect, as we all know.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Here's an FYI: In California the hospitalization rate for unvaccinated people is 68 times greater than for the vaccinated people. The death rate is 58 times greater for unvaccinated people. Not quite the difference of the hospitalization rate but still substantial.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-vaccines.html

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I got the Pfizer vaccines in Feb of this year. About 6 days ago I started having a headache and fatigue. I went to my doctor and was tested positive for covid. The symptoms never got worse. I did have some sinus congestion, a bit of a cough and lost my sense of smell. The headache and fatigue lasted about 4 days. It wasn't incapacitating, but it was enough to keep my activity around the house fairly low. The last couple of days I have felt better each day. Today I spent the entire day working in the yard. I am not completely over it, but close. Thankfully it was a mild case. After I was diagnosed, I slept in a separate room from my wife and limited contact with her. She never got it.
Old 08-22-2021, 04:10 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Breakthrough club

I would get the monoclonal antibody if I test positive.

We give monoclonals against RSV to tiny preterm infants prophylactically, and have been doing so for over 20 years.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:33 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I would get the monoclonal antibody if I test positive.

We give monoclonals against RSV to tiny preterm infants prophylactically, and have been doing so for over 20 years.
EastWest Gal, is the monoclonal antibody readily available in most of the U.S.? I wonder if there are shortages?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:44 AM   #67

I understand it has been under utilized in the past. I have no personal experience with it.

HHS launched a locator website back in January. It simply lists places that order the monoclonals. On TWIV podcast, Daniel Griffin MD discussed how his health system set up infusions in nursing homes. Here is the website:

https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages...tion-locations
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:52 AM   #68

FYI, we have a separate thread dedicated to treatment protocols, which includes info on Monoclonal antibodies (ie. Regeneron). Please post there if you wish to continue that discussion.
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ls-106155.html

Let's keep this thread specific to breakthrough infections.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:00 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I had a concert scheduled with friends for Monday night, and we met for dinner before. The plan was to eat outside, but it had recently rained and the outdoor seating was not open. I picked a table near the door, away from other tables, and with good ventilation. At the concert, after we passed security, I put on an active, anti-virus N-95 mask for the concert. Only 1-3% of the crowd had a mask. The rest of my group did not. It's only been 2 1/2 days, so too early to tell yet.
Day 7, still good.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

At my husband's office, there have been 10 breakthrough infections. Two were "sick", similar to a bad cold. The other 8 had no symptoms and wouldn't have known except that his office tests everyone every week.

My son's friend had a breakthrough infection with mild cold symptoms for 2 days. None of his vaccinated friends that he was with contracted it.
HMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m vaccinated with J&J. My husband is also. I had the classic sinus infection/head cold feeling start earlier this week. No fever whatsoever. I even sneezed a bit. My allergy medicine helped the symptoms…so I believed it was allergies. On Wednesday an unvaccinated friend I visited over the weekend said she lost her sense of smell and took a Covid test. Of course it was positive. I picked up the BinaxNOW from CVS for $24 (in the drive thru). My husband and I ran the tests. Mine showed the two lines nearly immediately. His was negative thankfully. We already have separate bedrooms and bathrooms which is great.
My symptoms are nothing like the typical Covid stories. One really odd thing was early on my face felt like I had a sunburn or wind burn for just an hour or so. I’ve got a stuffy drippy nose. Sinus congestion. My upper teeth hurt at the gum line. I have an occasional cough. I’ve had a pretty consistent headache. I have a sore throat. I lost most of the sense of smell on the third day. I can taste a few things still. One thing I can still smell is spearmint oil.

I NEVER HAD A FEVER.

I’m taking extra vitamins and supplements. I have not taken any cold medicine or pain reliever. So far my husband is feeling ok. I really hope that he doesn’t catch it from me.
Monday I am scheduled for the monoclonal antibody infusion.
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
Out of curiousity, is it possible to test positive but have had your symptoms from a cold? I know two people that tested positive but had absolutely no symptoms whatsoever. So is it possible your symptoms actually were from a cold and not covid?
There are some false negatives and positives from testing, very few. It is highly unlikely to test COVID positive from a cold, as it is a different virus.
KarenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:30 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

False positives happen. At my mom's nursing home, she and a few others tested positive. They were taken to the hospital, who tested to confirm and sent back because they tested negative.
HMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by COHgirl View Post
I NEVER HAD A FEVER.
Many (perhaps most) COVID patients don't get a fever, vaccinated or not. That was something that was mistakenly promoted early on as a "required" symptom. So many patients came in saying, "I know it's not COVID because I don't have a fever" only to test positive. The same goes for loss of smell and taste. If you have that, it's probably COVID, but not having it doesn't rule it out.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Many (perhaps most) COVID patients don't get a fever, vaccinated or not. That was something that was mistakenly promoted early on as a "required" symptom. So many patients came in saying, "I know it's not COVID because I don't have a fever" only to test positive. The same goes for loss of smell and taste. If you have that, it's probably COVID, but not having it doesn't rule it out.
Your post makes an EXCELLENT point re: temperatures. The requirement to get your temp checked is still rampant in places and I don't understand this for the life of me.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #76

Regarding breakthrough infections, it's my understanding that the CDC is NOT tracking those. Any "official" numbers you see regarding how many breakthrough cases there are should be taken with a grain of salt. The real number is probably many times that based on what we're seeing just in our urgent care. I see at least 2 or 3 a day myself.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:38 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Your post makes an EXCELLENT point re: temperatures. The requirement to get your temp checked is still rampant in places and I don't understand this for the life of me.
It hasn't made sense from day one.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #78

Quote:
Every time I go to my dentist they use the "forehead thermometer" to take my temp. Same thing happened this week when I went to a dermatologist for the first time. This is part of the routine now, along with several "Covid exposure questions."

I don't object, even though I think the temp thing is pointless when it comes to Covid. It's part of their deal, and it makes them feel better to check that box on the form. I'm much more focused on whether or not they take capacity limits seriously in the waiting room, and whether they strictly enforce mask wearing for providers and patients at every step of the process.

My dentist recently volunteered that all of their staff is vaccinated, which I considered bonus information, but it did make me feel more comfortable. The fact is they are more at risk than I am, because they interface intimately, all day long, with all kinds of folks. Same thing for all my doctors and nurses. They are the ones I worry about, not myself.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Regarding breakthrough infections, it's my understanding that the CDC is NOT tracking those. Any "official" numbers you see regarding how many breakthrough cases there are should be taken with a grain of salt. The real number is probably many times that based on what we're seeing just in our urgent care. I see at least 2 or 3 a day myself.
Some states are tracking breakthrough infections.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
It hasn't made sense from day one.
Yeah, PCP office always checks temp. Some vaccination sites did. They just can’t help themselves!
Old 08-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Many (perhaps most) COVID patients don't get a fever, vaccinated or not. That was something that was mistakenly promoted early on as a "required" symptom.
My temperature was checked when I went to the eye doctor. I hated having to call them to let them know I had tested positive the day after being in their office.
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote