Breakthrough club

Regarding breakthrough infections, it's my understanding that the CDC is NOT tracking those. Any "official" numbers you see regarding how many breakthrough cases there are should be taken with a grain of salt. The real number is probably many times that based on what we're seeing just in our urgent care. I see at least 2 or 3 a day myself.

Your post makes an EXCELLENT point re: temperatures. The requirement to get your temp checked is still rampant in places and I don't understand this for the life of me. :confused:
It hasn't made sense from day one.

Many (perhaps most) COVID patients don't get a fever, vaccinated or not. That was something that was mistakenly promoted early on as a "required" symptom. So many patients came in saying, "I know it's not COVID because I don't have a fever" only to test positive. The same goes for loss of smell and taste. If you have that, it's probably COVID, but not having it doesn't rule it out.

Every time I go to my dentist they use the "forehead thermometer" to take my temp. Same thing happened this week when I went to a dermatologist for the first time. This is part of the routine now, along with several "Covid exposure questions."

I don't object, even though I think the temp thing is pointless when it comes to Covid. It's part of their deal, and it makes them feel better to check that box on the form. I'm much more focused on whether or not they take capacity limits seriously in the waiting room, and whether they strictly enforce mask wearing for providers and patients at every step of the process.

My dentist recently volunteered that all of their staff is vaccinated, which I considered bonus information, but it did make me feel more comfortable. The fact is they are more at risk than I am, because they interface intimately, all day long, with all kinds of folks. Same thing for all my doctors and nurses. They are the ones I worry about, not myself.

Last edited:
Regarding breakthrough infections, it's my understanding that the CDC is NOT tracking those. Any "official" numbers you see regarding how many breakthrough cases there are should be taken with a grain of salt. The real number is probably many times that based on what we're seeing just in our urgent care. I see at least 2 or 3 a day myself.
Some states are tracking breakthrough infections.

Your post makes an EXCELLENT point re: temperatures. The requirement to get your temp checked is still rampant in places and I don't understand this for the life of me. :confused:
It hasn't made sense from day one.
Yeah, PCP office always checks temp. Some vaccination sites did. They just can’t help themselves!

Last edited:
Many (perhaps most) COVID patients don't get a fever, vaccinated or not. That was something that was mistakenly promoted early on as a "required" symptom.

My temperature was checked when I went to the eye doctor. I hated having to call them to let them know I had tested positive the day after being in their office.

How about those places that want you to get a squirt of alcohol to disinfect your hands? Is that worth it? I thought this disease was transmitted mainly via aerosols.

I stopped wiping down my grocery purchases months ago.

Hi harllee
I see you're from Chapel Hill. Wake County has numerous drive through sites in Raleigh. They're open Monday through Saturday now.

https://www.wakegov.com/covid-19-information/free-covid-19-testing

Also my son got his rapid test done at CVS. Took about 4 hours to get his result.

I have a similar question like Harlee to all of you...Based on this thread, people have had to go to get tested a few times already.

Is the testing free or does it go against the deductible if you're asked to show your insurance card, or do you have to pay cash? How expensive is each test?

We haven't had to test yet, but now with kids going to school, I'm afraid we'll need to do it, but I don't know how this works :facepalm:. Today was the 3rd day at school, and we received a Covid letter from both schools (K-8 and HS) informing that somebody tested positive for Covid there:confused:

If we must pay, I'm afraid we'll blow through the deductible if we show the insurance card, but paying cash is probably not that much cheaper...?
What test to choose: PCR or Rapid? I'm guessing PCR is more accurate, but if not available then Rapid is still better than BinaxNow?
Another issue will be finding a testing location considering that schools have opened and potentially/sadly there will be more demand that availability. We live on the border NC/SC, so I'm hoping I can go to either state, but not sure if it's allowed.

PPS.If I'm hijacking the thread:angel:, I can open a new thread. I was considering to ask this question on BH forum, but I bet this theme is not allowed there as it relates to medical.

Thanks!

Last edited:
We had three cases show up in our church. We were not closely exposed but my wife had a stomach problem and a cough a few days later, I had no symptoms so she eMailed our doctor and asked if we should be tested. He got back a couple hours later and said yes. He made an appointment for us for the next day at 2:30 for a drive through testing sight that is setup in the parking lot of the medical complex where his office is located. We showed up and they ask our name and pulled our pre made up packets out of the tray and gave us the test and said we would get the results later in the day. About 7pm we were notified our test results were in our health portal. We were both negative. We were not asked anything about insurance but the doctor would have had that information so I don't know yet if they charged the insurance company. We both had our second shot on March 1st.

Steve,
How do you and the staff at the urgent care protect yourselves besides being fully vacinated?
Is staff advised to take additional vitamins or supplement?

I see nurses wearing faceshields in addition to masks. I've seen some doctors wearing protection glasses. At our dentist's office, dental hygienists wear full hazmat suits.
I've considered to buy a faceshield or glasses when we go on a plane next time but then I read somewhere that supposedly faceshields hinder the air-flow and unless the ventilation in the building is efficient, they may be more harmful than beneficial.

Do COVID tests differentiate coronoviruses

Cold or COVID?

Common human coronaviruses, including types 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1, usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold. Most people get infected with one or more of these viruses at some point in their lives.

While COVID-19 symptoms generally appear two to 14 days after exposure to SARS-CoV-2, symptoms of a common cold usually appear one to three days after exposure to a cold-causing virus..

Vinik has also seen more people coming in with cold-like symptoms. And previously typical Covid-19 symptoms such as loss of taste and smell are not as commonly reported anymore, he said.

Health Ministry data on the wave of COVID outbreaks which began this May show that Israelis with immunity from natural infection were far less likely to become infected again in comparison to Israelis who only had immunity via vaccination.

Steve,
How do you and the staff at the urgent care protect yourselves besides being fully vacinated?
We have to wear surgical masks at all times from the moment we enter the building.

When going into the room with a COVID suspect, we wear full PPE: N95 mask, face mask or goggles, gown, and gloves.

For non-COVID patients, surgical mask and face mask or goggles.

Personally, I've taken to wearing an N95 mask the entire day. Changing back and forth was a pain and my glasses don't fog up with an N95 thanks to the tight seal.

I'm guessing PCR is more accurate, but if not available then Rapid is still better than BinaxNow?
PCR is more accurate than rapid.

BinaxNow is a rapid test. In fact, that's the one we use at our sites that do rapid testing. I love that you can buy them OTC now. I picked up a 2-pack last week to have in the house just in case we need it.

A few posts have mentioned getting tested after potential exposure or after travel. Keep in mind that the incubation period for COVID is 14 days. If you come home from a trip on Sunday and get tested on Monday, a negative test is nice but it doesn't mean you're in the clear. You could still come down with COVID several days later. The same is true if you find out the friend you had dinner with Saturday night tested positive so you go get a test on Tuesday.

I just saw a patient the other day with that sort of scenario. Came home from vacation on Thursday. Got a test on Friday and again on Sunday, both negative. Went back to work on Monday and Tuesday, but developed symptoms later on Tuesday and came in to see us and tested positive.

Last edited:
A few posts have mentioned getting tested after potential exposure or after travel. Keep in mind that the incubation period for COVID is 14 days. If you come home from a trip on Sunday and get tested on Monday, a negative test is nice but it doesn't mean you're in the clear. You could still come down with COVID several days later. The same is true if you find out the friend you had dinner with Saturday night tested positive so you go get a test on Tuesday.

I just saw a patient the other day with that sort of scenario. Came home from vacation on Thursday. Got a test on Friday and again on Sunday, both negative. Went back to work on Monday and Tuesday, but developed symptoms later on Tuesday and came in to see us and tested positive.

How long should you wait to test? I ask because next week I am going to a college reunion. I would like to test when I return.

How long should you wait to test? I ask because next week I am going to a college reunion. I would like to test when I return.

Incubation is up to 14 days so it could take up to 2 weeks for illness to show up. Most cases appear sooner than that but you should definitely wait at least 2-3 days. Just understand that you might test negative on day 3 and get sick on day 5 or 6 or 9.

Make sure you’re wearing a mask religiously for those first couple of weeks at least. (Personally I think everyone should be masked all the time when in public.)

Incubation is up to 14 days so it could take up to 2 weeks for illness to show up. Most cases appear sooner than that but you should definitely wait at least 2-3 days. Just understand that you might test negative on day 3 and get sick on day 5 or 6 or 9.

Make sure you’re wearing a mask religiously for those first couple of weeks at least. (Personally I think everyone should be masked all the time when in public.)

Thanks. I intend to use the Binax home test, so I'll do it 3 and 6 days post return. I do still mask in public, and will at the reunion.

Last edited:
I’m a vol firefighter in my town. Received Moderna shots in January and early February. July 8th I went with 4 other guys from my FD to Harrisburg PA for an antique truck muster, and one of my group got sick and tested positive when we got home July 11th. He had NOT been vaccinated.

I tested positive on July 14th after feeling like I had a bad cold, which I initially thoght was my seasonal allergies. I was to attend a funeral for a friends son on July 15, but figured I should get tested because of my symptoms.

I informed the others who attended the muster, and they all tested negative. My wife did not get ill ( she was vaccinated) and I had to quarantine for 10 days. My symptoms were relatively minor and lasted about 4 days. I credit the vaccine for my easy time of it.

We are going to visit my wife’s sister in Edinburgh in 10 days time. We all know folks who have had breakthrough Covid infections, but fortunately none of them were seriously ill. Since lockdown in Scotland ended on August 9th and the schools have been going back the country is seeing its largest infection rate ever although hospitalizations remain low. We all talked last night and agreed that meeting up with her son and his wife and their young children was not a good idea indoors. (They usually come round for dinner one evening when we visit).

Mild or not, none of us want to catch Covid so we will continue to mask up in public places, and hope the weather is good enough to go hiking in the Pentland Hills where she lives.

Another soccer game today with my son. I tested myself so I at least know I am negative going to the game and will test again next weekend before the trip to Edinburgh.

Our son is having asbestos removal done in his house starting Monday so will be staying with us for a few days. At work they have recently had a breakthrough infection, asymptomatic, that didn’t get passed on to anyone else. We are pleased that he is taking the week off while staying with us.

Life is a lot more complicated these days.

Since lockdown in Scotland ended on August 9th and the schools have been going back the country is seeing its largest infection rate ever although hospitalizations remain low.

We are facing the start of the school year in about a week.

Do you have a sense of how that is working in Scotland? Any idea what precautions they are taking especially for the younger ones who can't be vaccinated at this time?

Guidelines in districts near me seem to be based on the idea that you have to touch something or somebody to get infected. Or they sneeze in your face. Three feet distancing with a mask (any old mask) is considered to be 'safe'. Frequent testing of students? I'll believe it when I see it. I fear that the school opening will be a rolling disaster within six to eight weeks. Yes, I am scared for the grands.

How about those places that want you to get a squirt of alcohol to disinfect your hands? Is that worth it? I thought this disease was transmitted mainly via aerosols.

I stopped wiping down my grocery purchases months ago.

Seems to me they should change it to a shot of alcohol for aerosols :LOL:

Guidelines in districts near me seem to be based on the idea that you have to touch something or somebody to get infected. Or they sneeze in your face. Three feet distancing with a mask (any old mask) is considered to be 'safe'. Frequent testing of students? I'll believe it when I see it. I fear that the school opening will be a rolling disaster within six to eight weeks. Yes, I am scared for the grands.
Dealing with aerosols is so much harder. Head in the sand?

Cold or COVID?

Common human coronaviruses, including types 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1, usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold. Most people get infected with one or more of these viruses at some point in their lives.

While COVID-19 symptoms generally appear two to 14 days after exposure to SARS-CoV-2, symptoms of a common cold usually appear one to three days after exposure to a cold-causing virus..

Vinik has also seen more people coming in with cold-like symptoms. And previously typical Covid-19 symptoms such as loss of taste and smell are not as commonly reported anymore, he said.

Health Ministry data on the wave of COVID outbreaks which began this May show that Israelis with immunity from natural infection were far less likely to become infected again in comparison to Israelis who only had immunity via vaccination.

Only the ones that survived natural infection.... :cool:

As stated in another thread I experienced a breakthrough case. Got 2 doses Pfizer in April/ May. Got Covid July 18th.

My daughter currently has Covid was vaccinated in March/April with Moderna.

Lost of smell and taste was a later symptom after more cold like symptoms for both of us.

Ineligible for a booster for a minimum of 90 days since I received MAB. Thinking I won’t bother now that I have had Covid and 2 shots.

Also think we are gonna have to learn to live with Covid since it appears it’s not going anywhere vaxxed or not.

PCR is more accurate than rapid.

BinaxNow is a rapid test. In fact, that's the one we use at our sites that do rapid testing. I love that you can buy them OTC now. I picked up a 2-pack last week to have in the house just in case we need it.

We are vaccinated and are very careful, wearing masks unless walking outside 50 ft from others, and very few trips to any store.

I'm wondering why and when would we test for covid ? other than if we got pretty sick ?

If we do get it while masked while grocery shopping once per week, we probably wouldn't even know.

I could test every 4 days, but it seems a waste of effort and $2,500 pp/yr.

How do you decide to test ?

I had a haircut recently.
So, 3 days after that if I had the BinaxNow, I would test then.
Something like that.

Maybe after a visit to the dentist?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom