Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Baseball games in the park.
Thousands head to the beach for a day of sun and fun.
Bike rentals by the pier.
Concession stands serving lunch, drinks, ice cream sandwiches.
Bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades on the boardwalk.
Motorcycles driving down the highway taking in the scenery.
Kids playing football at the beach.
Body surfing, wind surfing, sun tanning.

Sound like a scene from before the pandemic?

Nope, just another typical day in my neighborhood. I think we have declared the pandemic over here and have all moved on.

Every other beach city from San Diego to Los Angeles is closed. Such a weird place to live some times. I don’t get it.
Some of the residents who live in beach cities up here have been pretty vocal about getting the beaches closed and parking / shelter in place orders enforced by the police. There have been locals on the news out with signs protesting visitors who enter the community and try to park near the beaches. Eventually the beaches were closed and the police got involved: https://www.marinij.com/2020/03/23/m...us-compliance/
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 11:18 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Paraphrasing from the linked 7 points above, we ‘should aim to have as much economic activity as possible, provided that hospitals are able to handle the number of sick patients.’

We need to limit economic damage without overwhelming health care resources, which will require some significant changes in how we live and work together. We want to get past this sooner rather than later, not see how much we can flatten the curve. Some people (here and at large) won’t agree, and they can choose to continue to isolate and/or protect themselves as they see fit. We can’t act to protect our highest risk citizens indefinitely.

Interesting if true for those who’ve been screaming about underestimating Covid-19.

This is encouraging to hear that other countries are starting to gradually reopen.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Most businesses don't work without a critical mass of customers. Sending 10 to 20% of the population out to patronize businesses won't work. And in the meantime you will be igniting a second wave.

I think a much higher proportion than 10-20% would patronize businesses now if they were allowed to.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #64
Administrator

A number of posts strayed into an unrelated issue and were removed.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I think a much higher proportion than 10-20% would patronize businesses now if they were allowed to.
If they could is the important phrase. So far what we have heard from the powers that be is rather vague and lacks credibility. Hard to believe we are going to tell everyone to go to restaurants, massage parlors, barbers, etc in May.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Closed Thread