Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 03:31 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
I never was interested in high density housing, but I'm even less interested now. Forget about downtown large-city livings. No high rise condos. Delay assisted living or worse as long as possible, esp. if high density and shared dining. I'm an introvert at heart and this is a good excuse as any.

The news that some places were essentially confining residents to their rooms made me anxious. I can shelter in place on my outdoor patio with a mountain view pretty much year 'round. I can also bike or walk for miles without getting close to anyone. 24/7 indefinite confinement indoors? Sounds like prison.
From a societal viewpoint I think future novel viruses will be greeted with massive testing and quarantine, maybe not so much lockdowns. But that won't keep you from dying if you get it (depending on the virus). I think the long-term trend of moving from rural to urban areas might shift backwards. More sprawl, more cars, but more safety. This might appeal to us older folk more than the young, but we'll see.

Not too long ago we decided we liked towns around the 150,000 mark or so. Good balance between urban options and size/density. It is possible we will shift towards slightly smaller population ranges.

One major issue that comes to mind with all of this is that at a certain point an area's population density can overwhelm hospitals in a pandemic. Part of the solution involves thinning the density. Part of it is probably more universally available, cheaper health care. Finding the sweet spot will be the challenge going forward.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 03:56 AM   #62

One thing that COVID-19 has achieved is to highlight just how deadly the regular flu is, and how indifferent we've generally been to it. Hopefully we'll see a 'universal' flu shot in the near future so we can move beyond this like we have so many other viruses. Until then, masks will be common in airports/airplanes, restaurants, etc. Disposable gloves too.

Remember when people who always wore gloves and masks were just hypochondriacs? LOLOL
Old 04-10-2020, 06:25 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
This is a link to an article about the danger of being TOO clean. It says you need regular exposure to germs to keep your immune system working properly. I believe it. I'm going back to my life as it was- cruises and all!

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/a...st-your-health

It actually suggests reducing use of chlorine based cleaners, skipping antibacterial soaps, and having closer interactions with people

I’m in this camp so I didn’t have (and generally don’t buy) Clorox wipes, hand sanitizers, strong disinfectants, etc. And now, these things are unobtanium. I do have a little bleach on hand.

So, we are proceeding with regular hand soap, fabric gloves we had around the house and fabric masks we made. That’s it. So, we’ll see...
Old 04-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Thanks for that ... my MIL was a home ec major. My standards are not as high.[emoji23]
Mine either. Which is fortunate as I have teenage boys and a husband who works in the woods. They are always tracking something through the house. If I were a neat freak it would drive me crazy.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Frank and I plan to age in place, in our houses right where we are.

But before the pandemic, my Plan B was to move into a CCRC or some similar facility if/when I needed additional care. My mother did that in Hawaii, and it worked out quite well for her during her last decades. I had already researched local facilities here in New Orleans, and the facility at the top of my list to investigate further was Lambeth House which appeared to be an excellent choice.

However 19 Lambeth House residents (out of about 200?) have died from COVID-19 in the past month or so and many more are ill with it. I just couldn't bring myself to live there, or even visit that facility after all this. In fact, given that many other similar facilities have been so badly impacted by COVID-19, I think Plan B has been eliminated entirely from my planning.
That's a good point. I figured we move into a snior housing type facility somewhere down the road, but now? You have to wonder how they will be affected in the future. Some could struggle financially with lower occupancy rates.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I have to reconsider our reliance on re-use grocery bags. Ours are all from Trader Joe's. Cheap ($0.99) and they last a long time.

Love those bags.

If you have the ones that are more of a cloth material - not plastic - can you wash them in the washing machine.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #67

No planned changes. May go on more cruises—buy one week get one month free.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
No planned changes. May go on more cruises—buy one week get one month free.
I'm guessing that includes the three weeks of quarantine before you are allowed to disembark?
Old 04-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
From a societal viewpoint I think future novel viruses will be greeted with massive testing and quarantine, maybe not so much lockdowns. But that won't keep you from dying if you get it (depending on the virus). I think the long-term trend of moving from rural to urban areas might shift backwards. More sprawl, more cars, but more safety. This might appeal to us older folk more than the young, but we'll see.

Not too long ago we decided we liked towns around the 150,000 mark or so. Good balance between urban options and size/density. It is possible we will shift towards slightly smaller population ranges.

One major issue that comes to mind with all of this is that at a certain point an area's population density can overwhelm hospitals in a pandemic. Part of the solution involves thinning the density. Part of it is probably more universally available, cheaper health care. Finding the sweet spot will be the challenge going forward.
Massive testing and quarantine with continuing damages to the economy, or a general long term shutdown of international travel? I'll take B every time.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm guessing that includes the three weeks of quarantine before you are allowed to disembark?

Exactly! And actually probably all my money back plus free future cruise.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Exactly! And actually probably all my money back plus free future cruise.
Just saw a headline that CDC has increased the cruise ban for another 100 days. I mentioned somewhere that I thought the cruise industry might have killed itself after their bad judgement and got some pushback, but it's not looking good for them.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
That's a good point. I figured we move into a snior housing type facility somewhere down the road, but now? You have to wonder how they will be affected in the future. Some could struggle financially with lower occupancy rates.
Senior housing developments were already taking a beating before this virus as more and more seniors decided to 'age in place'. Today Well, let's just say I won't be investing in senior housing builders any time soon.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

We have some good friends who just moved to a CCRC and were real happy.

Until this happened.

Now they are under virtual lockdown with all kinds of restrictions. The amenities they loved (clubs, pool, hair salon, etc.) are closed. Dinners by take out. Nobody but residents and employees come in. Residents can go out, but they have been "schooled," for lack of a better term, as to what they can do when out. (Hint: don't visit the grandkids. Groceries only.)

Old 04-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
We have some good friends who just moved to a CCRC and were real happy.

Until this happened.

Now they are under virtual lockdown with all kinds of restrictions. The amenities they loved (clubs, pool, hair salon, etc.) are closed. Dinners by take out. Nobody but residents and employees come in. Residents can go out, but they have been "schooled," for lack of a better term, as to what they can do when out. (Hint: don't visit the grandkids. Groceries only.)
All my "amenities" are closed too, and we don't live in a CCRC .
Old 04-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
All my "amenities" are closed too, and we don't live in a CCRC .
Ha ha. Good point. Us too!

Toto + washlet
Old 04-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #76
gone traveling

Toto + washlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Still looking for an unpowered basic washlet on Amazon that doesn't have a "it leaked" in the reviews...
Don't waste your money.

Get a Toto toilet with washlet.
You will have to install an electrical outlet behind the toilet.
We bought one in November and installed it in January. Amazing.
Worth every $ of the $2000. Nexus® WASHLET®+ S500e One-Piece Toilet - 1.28 GPF
Old 04-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Yeah the gym... I don't know that it will ever be worth it for me, as where I live I can exercise outdoors almost any day.
That's not the case for me here in New England. But I've been finding that my older gym equipment (a Nordic Track, a rower and weights/bench), cardio videos from the web and long walks/hikes (weather permitting) have kept me quite satisfied and fit. It remains to be seen if this wears off and/or if I will come to miss the social aspects of the gym as things return to normal. But I have indeed been wondering if I can do without the gym and its cost.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Don't waste your money.

Get a Toto toilet with washlet.
You will have to install an electrical outlet behind the toilet.
We bought one in November and installed it in January. Amazing.
Worth every $ of the $2000. Nexus® WASHLET®+ S500e One-Piece Toilet - 1.28 GPF
We have one of those and a bidet toilet seat as well. But not everyone is prepared to spend $2,500 on a toilet plus another $500 to install an electrical outlet next to the toilet. The basic non-electric bidets that sell for around $40 still work fine. They just don't offer all of the high end features of the electric models. But water is still the best way to clean down there.

You have to ignore the reviews on Amazon about leaks. Every product that involves water is going to have some percentage of people who either did not install it correctly or got a bad unit and will write a bad review. In general those units are fairly reliable and at under $50 a good value.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Never have gone on a cruise, for sure off the list now. Also was never much a buffet fan, prefer sit down service restaurants. Probably limit buffet to only when no choice, like at a wedding reception or similar.
If you really want to live dangerously, go on a cruise and eat exclusively from the buffet!
Old 04-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
If you really want to live dangerously, go on a cruise and eat exclusively from the buffet!
And don’t forget to go for a massage afterwards, and then get your nails done.
Closed Thread