Can't/won't get that any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toto + washlet

Still looking for an unpowered basic washlet on Amazon that doesn't have a "it leaked" in the reviews...
Don't waste your money.

Get a Toto toilet with washlet.
You will have to install an electrical outlet behind the toilet.
We bought one in November and installed it in January. Amazing.
Worth every $ of the $2000. Nexus® WASHLET®+ S500e One-Piece Toilet - 1.28 GPF

Yeah the gym... I don't know that it will ever be worth it for me, as where I live I can exercise outdoors almost any day.

That's not the case for me here in New England. But I've been finding that my older gym equipment (a Nordic Track, a rower and weights/bench), cardio videos from the web and long walks/hikes (weather permitting) have kept me quite satisfied and fit. It remains to be seen if this wears off and/or if I will come to miss the social aspects of the gym as things return to normal. But I have indeed been wondering if I can do without the gym and its cost.

Don't waste your money.

Get a Toto toilet with washlet.
You will have to install an electrical outlet behind the toilet.
We bought one in November and installed it in January. Amazing.
Worth every $ of the $2000. Nexus® WASHLET®+ S500e One-Piece Toilet - 1.28 GPF

We have one of those and a bidet toilet seat as well. But not everyone is prepared to spend $2,500 on a toilet plus another $500 to install an electrical outlet next to the toilet. The basic non-electric bidets that sell for around $40 still work fine. They just don't offer all of the high end features of the electric models. But water is still the best way to clean down there.

You have to ignore the reviews on Amazon about leaks. Every product that involves water is going to have some percentage of people who either did not install it correctly or got a bad unit and will write a bad review. In general those units are fairly reliable and at under $50 a good value.

Never have gone on a cruise, for sure off the list now. Also was never much a buffet fan, prefer sit down service restaurants. Probably limit buffet to only when no choice, like at a wedding reception or similar.

If you really want to live dangerously, go on a cruise and eat exclusively from the buffet! :(

I can't wait to go back to the gym- treadmill workouts in my basement are getting monotonous and I miss the different equipment they have.

But...long ago I gave up trying to listen to podcasts during workouts because they blast music in the gym (interspersed with commercial messages) that makes it hard to hear my podcasts unless I crank up the volume to a level that's probably not good for my hearing. Having gotten used to podcasts again, I plan to invest in a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones so I can listen to what *I* want to listen to and not what they're paid to force on us.

Last edited:
We have a cheap bidet (manual. non-electric), but we love it. It's the kind that hooks up only to a cold water pipe. I was initially concerned that in this Canadian weather, the water might be too cold in the winter months, but to my surprise, it's quite refreshing! We have to turn the nob carefully as it goes into turbo mode with a slight movement on the dial. One of the knobs got loose after several years, but my DH made another one with his 3D printer.

It looks like this one...
https://www.amazon.com/PLMOK-Cleane...d=1&keywords=luxe+bidet&qid=1586632131&sr=8-9

We had a Toto installed with master bath remodel 3 years ago. Downsized to an apartment late last year. So thankful DH dissembled and reassembled Toto. $$ very well spent. That and my extra firm adjustable mattress are what I miss most when traveling. Plus, a roll of TP easily lasts 2 weeks, even with stay at home state of affairs.

We have some good friends who just moved to a CCRC and were real happy.

Until this happened.

Now they are under virtual lockdown with all kinds of restrictions. The amenities they loved (clubs, pool, hair salon, etc.) are closed. Dinners by take out. Nobody but residents and employees come in. Residents can go out, but they have been "schooled," for lack of a better term, as to what they can do when out. (Hint: don't visit the grandkids. Groceries only.)

No different in our neighborhood except nobody is supplying meals and folks have to deal with getting groceries.

I don’t see alternatives to a CCRC for us long term. I don’t want to be stuck in a house by myself when I can no longer completely care for the house or myself or deal with hiring assistance.

Until Covid-19 ceases (vaccination or very effective treatment) to be a threat, we'll probably avoid any activity that involves large numbers of people or even small numbers in a closed area.

That eliminates a lot of things we've enjoyed- many restaurants, most air travel, group tours, concerts, even Sunday Mass.
Unless we decide to simply roll the dice and take whatever happens. We've had a good life...

When this hell is over and we are let out of prison I intend to go back to doing everything I used to if at all possible.

I go to the grocery store and hardware store right now and have no issue with doing so.

Although I miss my 10 1/2 acre wooded property we moved from and now are in a 85 home development on 10 1/2 acres (how do you like that one?), I am happy we moved as we are in a lake and mountain area as well, but at least there are some people around. We go on a group walk every morning for an hour and we do our best to keep the 6 foot distance.

No more buffets, no more cafeteria-style pickup food like at Whole Foods, and no bulk buy of anything except for herbs which I will end up cooking/heating anyway.

If we ever go to a restaurant again I will be downloading the menu’s on my personal device.
Printed menus will be relics (and sad reminders) of this plague.

When this hell is over and we are let out of [-]prison[/-] The Twilight Zone, I intend to go back to doing everything I used to if at all possible.

I go to the grocery store and hardware store right now and have no issue with doing so.

Although I miss my 10 1/2 acre wooded property we moved from and now are in a 85 home development on 10 1/2 acres (how do you like that one?), I am happy we moved as we are in a lake and mountain area as well, but at least there are some people around. We go on a group walk every morning for an hour and we do our best to keep the 6 foot distance.

FIFY.

Still looking for an unpowered basic washlet on Amazon that doesn't have a "it leaked" in the reviews...
I've had the Kohler Model Number:K-76923-0 for two years. The first one leaked after about 9 months a little, and was replaced under warranty...this one's going strong, love it, and the handle allows you to move the spray towards the front (for her) or back (for both).

I just visited a friend at a high-end assisted living facility in San Diego in November. She has a really nice 2/2 apartment. Residents there used to go downstairs to a community dining room for meals, and have access to a game room, swimming pool, exercise rooms, and movie theater. Now, residents are confined to their rooms, meals are delivered, and their temperatures are taken daily. They have the option of having food items (out of 40 choices) delivered. But no visits from friends or family. For those social folks, it must not be fun at all.

Frank and I plan to age in place, in our houses right where we are.

But before the pandemic, my Plan B was to move into a CCRC or some similar facility if/when I needed additional care. My mother did that in Hawaii, and it worked out quite well for her during her last decades. I had already researched local facilities here in New Orleans, and the facility at the top of my list to investigate further was Lambeth House which appeared to be an excellent choice.

However 19 Lambeth House residents (out of about 200?) have died from COVID-19 in the past month or so and many more are ill with it. I just couldn't bring myself to live there, or even visit that facility after all this. In fact, given that many other similar facilities have been so badly impacted by COVID-19, I think Plan B has been eliminated entirely from my planning.

If, in the future, you have someone come to your home to help with daily living activities, it's going to get real interesting because the person is most likely travelling to other homes and hanging out with all sorts of people at their own home. I'm not sure if there is any less danger in this situation than living in a group situation.

In December I concluded I needed new glasses. But I procrastinate. And now it's out of the question to go to an optician and sit in front him/her while they do their thing...

why? all medical people including opticians here (metro phoenix) are taking proper precuations. had an appointment with an opthomologist today. waited in the parking lot till they called. everyone was masked and gloved including me...no biggie. go get your giasses.

Lost my glasses recently and was worried about going in for another exam. Luckily my prescription was still good and I had bought the glasses from Costco. So I called them and finally got a human who told me they could replicate my last set for $239 and all I had to so was drive 100 miles each way to come in an pay for them. “Can’t I just use my Costco Credit Card?” I asked. “Nope” they said. Not over the phone. After informing them that no way would I be coming in we finally settled on mailing a check via snail mail and they would charge me $20 for mailing the glasses back to me. Probably will take a month, but at least I’ll get new glasses.

Costco has been totally worthless in this crisis. First they just watched as people carted off pallets of toilet paper like they were powerless to stop them. Then everything else. Then hours long lines even for the old folks hour. Canceled and delayed mail order. Out of stock everything. Not even a bag of dog food available for over a month. We have been huge Costco shoppers and stockholders for decades. But my big change will be dumping them in favor of local merchants who have continued to take care of business when Costco has been a total fail. I’m gonna miss that because we normally make it an all day trip once every few months to buy $1,000 worth of goods since we are so far away from anything.

I will also miss hearing things since my hearing aids also come from the now worthless Costco store.

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I have no intention of not living my life to the fullest, doing things I previously enjoyed very much, as soon as I possibly can. I will resume hugging close friends and family, attending potlucks and parties, going out to restaurants and handling the dreaded menus, and going on interesting vacations internationally. I’d rather enjoy my life than stay “safe” but avoid so many things I love to do.

I think what I won’t do is take our freedoms for granted as much as I used to. And I already regularly sanitized airplane seats, armrests and tray tables but perhaps I will wear a mask on airplanes in the future.

If, in the future, you have someone come to your home to help with daily living activities, it's going to get real interesting because the person is most likely travelling to other homes and hanging out with all sorts of people at their own home. I'm not sure if there is any less danger in this situation than living in a group situation.

Exactly! And who is managing all those helpers and caregivers? It’s pretty tough when you are very elderly unless you have family nearby to help out.

Honestly, once I’m ready to move to a CCRC I figure my days are pretty numbered anyway. I’d rather maximize convenience and comfort and have the option to quit dealing with daily hassles of regular chores like cleaning, shopping, food preparation and home maintenance, and most bills.

Last edited:
I don't want to go shopping for new clothes this spring. I'll manage with what I have. And what I can order online. I'll need a vaccine before I start shopping for non-essentials.

I am in the risk group and I assist my mum who is in the severe risk group.

My mum thinks she can behave normally. -There is no virus around here! Perfectly safe!
Our county has 6 known cases.

I've had the Kohler Model Number:K-76923-0 for two years. The first one leaked after about 9 months a little, and was replaced under warranty...this one's going strong, love it, and the handle allows you to move the spray towards the front (for her) or back (for both).

Many reports of that model leaking at the handle...

I was going to a nice very busy seafood buffet every weekend. I am not overweight. I went there until they ordered everyone on lockdown. I can't wait to go back when they open up again.

I also rode public transportation to the airport for business. I would not hesitate when I have to travel again. There was even an older guy on the bus that was coughing like he was dying but I never catch anything.

The only time I would get sick is when my teenage kids that work with kids at the water park are sick, but if I do my own routine I never get sick. Little kids are the worst.

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I have no intention of not living my life to the fullest, doing things I previously enjoyed very much, as soon as I possibly can. ... I’d rather enjoy my life than stay “safe” but avoid so many things I love to do.
I agree. I'm not sure if we are in the minority or it just seems that way because those who share our views are being drowned out right now by others who are reacting out of fear and are more vocal in their views.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom