Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

They better get #4 in writing, signed by the mayor and governor.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last year, we booked a North Seas cruise in August with Regent Seven Seas. Regent is only offering cruise credit, not refunds, so I'm considering exchanging the international cruise (and business class air) for two less-expensive domestic cruises later this year and early 2021. A big concern is how boring it's going to be with no onboard theater, canceled shore excursions, and limited to no access to the better onboard restaurants (which were very crowded last time we went).
Old 05-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a cruise booked on Princess in January and another European river cruise in July, '21. Not sure at this point about either. We love cruising and are so bummed that our cruising life might be done for at least a few years. What other vacations will there be? Don't want to fly as planes and airports are more packed than ships. Stay in a resort, nah, boring. Not even sure that hotels sound too appealing these days for driving trip .
Old 05-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Anyone ready to book?
99.5% of cruises were unattractive to me prior to COVID-19. 99.8% of cruises will be unattractive to me after COVID-19. So, probably not.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
99.5% of cruises were unattractive to me prior to COVID-19. 99.8% of cruises will be unattractive to me after COVID-19. So, probably not.
Look for the 0.2% then.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
Don't want to fly as planes and airports are more packed than ships.

no need for pre check! And i just got Global entry in February

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/j66j...ed-photos.html
Old 05-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post

Same here for Global Entry. We got ours last December.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But don't worry they are committed to following public health guidelines and the safety of their passengers and crew is their number one concern.

Anyone ready to book?

: laugh:
Old 05-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

We canceled June around British isles and Norway when this started. My biggest fear is one low bid foreign doctor for 6000 sick people.
I don’t want to be one of them.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
They better get #4 in writing, signed by the mayor and governor.
Yep.

Interesting question, though. Do these port cities like the cruise traffic? I don't know. If they do, they will eventually be looking for ways to make that guarantee.

IMO, we will eventually get to the point where so many Americans have had the virus and recovered that the idea of a few infected people getting off a cruise ship will by a yawner.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:53 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Actually we did do one cruise (it happened to be Carnival). I'm glad we did it - once, just like the one train trip we made. Been there, did that, got the T-shirt.

At this point, with ALL the issues of cruising (OTHER diseases, potential violence on board, lack of rights and recovery, etc., etc.) I doubt I'd take a free cruise - well, unless it was on a luxury line with luxury accommodations. Since that won't happen... YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:51 AM   #32

If these things sail and there is even $1 of expense incurred rescuing the passengers because they become stranded somewhere, they're quarantined on the ship and need food/medicine brought in, etc...that better be 100% paid for by the cruise line and the individual passengers.

Last time around, it was a surprise, so lots of help was deserved. I was personally quite embarrassed by our unwillingness to let ships dock, etc. in the first iteration.

At this point? The risks are VERY well established. In fact, I would be shocked if the ship didn't come down with infections. If the lure of a super cheap ticket gets you on the ship, you also carry the downside risk of getting trapped on it.

Lunacy.

Thanks for listening to my morning rant.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:41 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if they will run empty.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:51 AM   #34

We have taken about 10 cruises with 6 or 7 on Carnival because it was cheap. Would we take another cruise on any cruise line now? NO. It has become too boring and crowded with obnoxious drunk people especially on Carnival. We are more interested in travel outside the U.S. where we can spend a little time at the destination, explore outdoors bicycling and hiking, and enjoy regional cuisine.

Cheers!
Old 05-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post

DW and I applied for Global entry last August - before our Med cruise and 2 week tour of Italy. She got a reply before flying across the pond in October.

OTOH - Global Entry administrators weenies just sent me an email saying in April (after lockdowns) that I could complete my process at customs upon my next international flight. (Not in the cards for the foreseeable future.)

We filed together at the same time. What the hell?
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
We filed together at the same time. What the hell?
Not uncommon. 5 or 6 years ago, when DW and I applied on the same day, our appointments were several weeks apart.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:25 AM   #37

Quote:
But don't worry they are committed to following public health guidelines and the safety of their passengers and crew is their number one concern.

Anyone ready to book?
I am! Maybe not carnival but I'm definitely going on another cruise.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I can't even imagine getting on a cruise now. I wouldn't be all that worried about dying but what about getting quarantined in your room or bared from ports. No thanks. And how do they get crews? Last I heard 80,000 crew members were trapped at sea unable to come ashore.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Norwegian issued a going concern warning this morning. What happens if you are on a cruise and the owner of the ship goes bankrupt? Nothing good, I imagine.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 05-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I might be coming at this from a different angle than many/most of the rest of you.

It's May now, if I'm around at the end of September I'll be 78. I exercise on the elliptical, and we go for walks.....I hurt just about everywhere, and although I try and tread water my nose goes under now and again. I'm nowhere near what I was, and I'll never be again.

Haven't ridden my bicycle for a (long) while, and on Sunday asked DW's daughter's husband to see if his younger brother (around 31) wants it.

My cousin just sent me a pic of her mother, 93, taken by the nursing home staff....she looks awful, has dementia.

DW's father, now 94; he's better than my aunt but the downhill run is picking up speed...he told me two years back that he didn't want to go through another winter...but he's still here.....barely.

DW is 10 years younger than me and therefore has the most to lose....any 'final decision' tripwise will be hers.

(She says we're 'going out' together...which means I'll have to hang on so that she gets her allotted span.)

Almost died last year from sepsis...I was 'out of it' so if I had've passed I wouldn't have known about it anyway.

Bottom line....we're in no hurry to die, we're enjoying our lives, we take precautions, (social distancing an' all that), we like to travel, there are places I haven't been, and even more places she hasn't been that I'd like to show her, and the hop-on-hop-off cruises we've planned cover some of those areas.

If the trips look like a go, and I haven't already 'gone', and if I can get travel insurance...."Hi Ho Silver"!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread