Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
An Israeli study was published yesterday in the NE Journal of Medicine.

"The benefits were even greater when it came to shielding a person against a severe case of COVID. Compared to people in the same age group who did not get a fourth Pfizer shot, those who did were more than 3.5 times less likely to develop severe COVID-19 within a month of getting the shot, the researchers reported. In this case, protection seemed to last, too: "Protection against severe illness did not wane during the 6 weeks after receipt of the fourth dose," the Israeli group noted.

--------------------------------------------------------

In late March another Israeli study was announced which found that "Senior citizens who received a second booster of the Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccination had a 78% lower mortality rate from the disease than those who got one only".

That sounds convincing to me - the fourth booster is certainly worth getting. I plan to get it, just not immediately since I'm only 5 months out from my booster and cases are low here right now.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 08:38 AM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I want to go ahead and get the booster in the next few weeks. I figure that the government is going to stop paying for the boosters sooner or later and if the cost is like the Shingrix shot it might cost $300 out of pocket on Medicare.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I want to go ahead and get the booster in the next few weeks. I figure that the government is going to stop paying for the boosters sooner or later and if the cost is like the Shingrix shot it might cost $300 out of pocket on Medicare.
Does your supplement not cover a fair amount? We paid about $50 for first Shingrix and about $150 for second shot. We have a fairly good MC supplement insurance. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:06 AM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Does your supplement not cover a fair amount? We paid about $50 for first Shingrix and about $150 for second shot. We have a fairly good MC supplement insurance. YMMV
My supplement did not pay for much. I was still out of pocket $300 for the 2 Shingrix shots. I figure the same thing is going to happen for the Covid shots and other treatments sooner or later.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:13 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Going to Modesto tomorrow for the second booster. Will have a nice lunch after -
If you want a ride on the wild side, I suggest Turlock. Get a turkey sandwich with all the fixings. After all Turlock is the Turkey Capital of the World. Or at least it was the last time I drove through it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:28 AM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Cases are going up in the Northeast and now in LA and San Francisco.

Creeping up. Hospitalizations and deaths aren't bad.

But restrictions are being dropped everywhere. LA just had a bunch of breakouts in schools, which dropped masking mandate last month.

In the UK, some airlines like EasyJet and BA have canceled hundreds of flights in the last week because of staff shortages, people calling in sick.

They had started dropping mask mandates on some of their flights.

Most infectious variant ever and the world thinks it's over. Well it wasn't so bad in places like Denmark because they have high percentages of vaccination and boosting. So they saw low hospitalizations and deaths through both Omicron wave and the BA.2 surge.

US had a much tougher time with the Omicron wave in hospitalizations and deaths, averaging over 3000 into February IIRC.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:12 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I couldn't get a clear answer on if my insurance through work would cover both shots for Shyngrix. The pharmacy said they knew it would cover the first shot. But I canceled the idea when I heard about it causing or worsening tinnitus, which has already gotten much worse for me lately. Actually, that has been a common long term (or permanent) side effect from having COVID, as well, which I have not had.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:10 PM   #188

Getting our second Moderna booster on Tuesday. We'll be traveling including flights in mid May.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:15 PM   #189

Feeling kind of crappy today after a Moderna booster yesterday. Didn't sleep too well, which is probably part of it. Could not lay on my left side without pain. Hopefully better tomorrow.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

Had my 4th Pfizer shot yesterday, no problems other than a slightly sore arm. Was a bit hesitant to get it, but considering my age (69 yo) I decided to go ahead and do it. Also, we have a beach week coming up with the family including 4 grandchildren (2 too young to be vaxxed). I'm glad I got it.

Also while at CVS I asked about getting the 8 free covid tests paid for by Medicare. Easily got 4 boxes (2 tests per box) covered by Medicare. And these were the Binax tests that don't expire till 1/23 unlike the ones sent to us by the government that expire in July.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:33 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Feeling kind of crappy today after a Moderna booster yesterday. Didn't sleep too well, which is probably part of it. Could not lay on my left side without pain. Hopefully better tomorrow.
Will get better after the second night.

I also sleep on my left side and that injection site was painful.

They also said if it hurts, ice it but don't massage the area. So maybe even rolling on it isn't a good idea.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:41 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Will get better after the second night.

I also sleep on my left side and that injection site was painful.

They also said if it hurts, ice it but don't massage the area. So maybe even rolling on it isn't a good idea.

I think it is slowly feeling better. I usually sleep on left side turn over to right side, back and forth a few times a night. Don't lay on my back for long. Laying on the left hurt more than not laying on it, so I decided to stick with the right side last night. Do what you gotta sometimes.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:42 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Got my 4th Pfizer this morning and followed with fish & chips. Was a drive through deal which they didn't tell me so I parked and went inside as usual only to be directed back into the car.

Easy as usual, arm just a little sore, now drinking whisky to ease the pain -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:16 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Getting our second Moderna booster on Tuesday. We'll be traveling including flights in mid May.
I'm going to Portugal Tuesday. Already one of my short flights was changed.

In the UK there really hundreds of flights canceled in the last week.

Quote:
Holidaymakers looking to get away for Easter are facing major disruption to travel, as airlines cancel more than 100 flights a day because of staff shortages and ferry operators struggle to meet demand following the suspension of P&O Ferries services.

The rise in passenger numbers over the spring break has coincided with high rates of staff absences due to the latest wave of Covid infections.

Manchester airport said travellers would continue to face waits of 60-90 minutes to get through security over the next two weeks, while Heathrow, Gatwick and Birmingham airports face similar disruption. Airport bosses are encouraging passengers to arrive at least three hours before their flight to make it through to the departure lounge on time.

On Saturday, British Airways and EasyJet grounded more than 100 flights between them, affecting around 15,000 passengers.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-easter-travel

Article doesn't mention that BA and EasyJet eliminated mask mandates on some of their flights (depending on whether the destination required masks) since early to mid March.

US flight mask mandates on planes are set to expire on 4/18 unless it's extended.

So I may be returning on planes with loads of maskless people.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

I was in CVS today having a DTaP vaccine since DD is expecting soon and I asked if I could get my second covid booster so they did it right then and there.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:45 PM   #196
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got my firs booster in November before I went to Mexico. I don't plan to get the 2nd booster any time soon. We have a 16-day trip to Europe starting the end of this month. I am not afraid of virus per se, but do worry about a positive testing ruining my returning trip. I heard that a booster is not much helpful against infection.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

We got our second booster yesterday, changed to Moderna this time.
Arm is sore, feel a little headache, as with the Pfizer shots we got previously.
I also had a lot of acid indigestion and GI issues last night and nothing I ate would have caused that. That is a new side effect for me.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:41 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

I had my 4th booster shot a few days ago. I put it off but now that I have vacation plans firmed up, and there will undoubtedly be contact with people I don't know, I decided to get it.

For a day after the shot, I felt like Brutus McBruiser had used my entire body for a punching bag. Supposedly, this is a sign of a strong immune system. I hope so.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I had my 4th booster shot a few days ago. I put it off but now that I have vacation plans firmed up, and there will undoubtedly be contact with people I don't know, I decided to get it.

For a day after the shot, I felt like Brutus McBruiser had used my entire body for a punching bag. Supposedly, this is a sign of a strong immune system. I hope so.
Yeah, I'll believe it if you will! I was actually surprised at how much my body reacted to the 1st booster 'cause the first two doses were a piece of cake. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:45 PM   #200
gone traveling

DW and I are going to wait awhile before another boost. Also, I am doubtful these boosts are being modified for the latest variant.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote