Chinese Restaurants impacted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And regrettably, as history teaches us, there are far too many people who through willful ignorance succumb to their worst instincts and xenophobic proclivities.

No one defends those people, but that doesn't give a few overly politically correct people the right to dictate how every single person should be allowed to speak.

Wuhan or Chinese coronavirus is not racist just like Lyme disease doesn't poke fun at people from Connecticut. Both of them refer to the location where it originated, nothing more. Those who are unable to understand the different between a location and outright racism are the ones who have the problem.

I kinda see both sides. On one, I too was thinking about back when AIDS was referred to as "The Gay Plague" and as I result fueling violence against the gay community. Because COVID-19 was labeled as "The Chinese Virus", that has led to incidents against Asians.

On the other side, I was in another board months against and used the terms "Indian giver" and "Welch on a Bet" and was called out as being inappropriate. I thought, "What? those terms have been in the American vocabulary a long time." The person wasn't American, so I do see how those terms could be seen as offensive. To be considerate, I didn't use those terms again instead of digging in my heels arguing why I felt the terms are okay.

I feel so sheltered that I never saw anybody refer to AIDS as "The Gay Plague." I feel good about who I choose as friends and media sources.

As for what to label, unfortunately, lately I just say "The Virus" and everybody knows what I'm talking about. Kinda like saying "The Blob" as for horror movies :(.

Here is a good article from the BBC on how new diseases are now named and why it is important:

How Viruses Get Their Names

That's a very interesting read. I'm glad Covid-19 wasn't named Sars-CoV-2 as was mentioned in the article.

Didn't know giving a name was that involved. Would make the author of Johnny Cash's hit "A Boy Named Sue" proud :).

I heard this interview on NPR in the days right before Covid was formally named.

Anyone going "welp that's what we've always called them it's not bad" ok well...language evolves. Lots of words many of us thought were not derogatory or inappropriate now are, better or worse, but nearly always for the better.

The preference by the virology community, for several years, is to avoid calling a virus with a name associated with a region/location, animal, culture or food.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/08/8040...-first-test-of-new-rules-for-naming-a-disease

I heard this interview on NPR in the days right before Covid was formally named.

Anyone going "welp that's what we've always called them it's not bad" ok well...language evolves. Lots of words many of us thought were not derogatory or inappropriate now are, better or worse, but nearly always for the better.

The preference by the virology community, for several years, is to avoid calling a virus with a name associated with a region/location, animal, culture or food.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/08/8040...-first-test-of-new-rules-for-naming-a-disease

Reading this reminds me that when it comes to organizations and people that have platforms and hold positions of power, they have a proportionate responsibility when it comes to choosing language. Their words not only shape narratives, but can and often do have consequences.

Maybe we should just move on, and hopefully get back on topic, which is Chinese restaurants.

Maybe we should just move on, and hopefully get back on topic, which is Chinese restaurants.

Chinese food is very delivery friendly and hopefully most restaurants will be okay. The $12 hamburger places that will suffer though...I can't see a lot of people ordering 2 burgers and fries delivered for $25 ($30 with delivery charge).

I hope the proposed loan forgiveness program is big enough to help these businesses and their employees but I suspect the restaurant industry is going to be fundamentally altered. Not looking forward to the effect on my high density area.
That’s what I’m afraid of too. Though I assume the better restaurants at all price levels will have better odds of survival. Restaurants that weren’t doing well in 2019 and early 2020 are probably toast.

We’re doing carry out 3 times/week but we’re not convinced it’s very safe. We order hot food only, don’t set it down on our counter, transfer the food to our own dishes as soon as we get home and dispose of all packaging immediately - even before we eat. I’m sure that’s still not enough. We’re healthy enough that I’d be surprised if we had a serious reaction and infections/deaths where we live have been relatively low so far - fingers crossed.

As for Chinese restaurants additionally suffering ignorance and racism, there have always been idiots and I don’t see that changing in my lifetime.

Last edited:
As for Chinese restaurants additionally suffering ignorance and racism, there have always been idiots and I don’t see that changing in my lifetime.

Most of those idiots probably weren't ordering Chinese food before anyway.

I really think we need some outside the box thinking on how we help suffering small businesses like these restaurants. I recently saw an article from Brookings I think that suggested the IRS would be a better conduit for money than the SBA. These small businesses will already have existing tax returns that give a pretty good idea of their incomes and expenses. Most have probably already filed for 2019 but most certainly for 2018. Have the government pay their monthly expenses until the pandemic subsides and businesses can start up again. The IRS records are exactly how we are all going to get our one off payments. Seems to me it should be possible to do the same for small businesses that are impacted. The small business employees will be protected through the special unemployment monthly payment.

I really think we need some outside the box thinking on how we help suffering small businesses like these restaurants. I recently saw an article from Brookings I think that suggested the IRS would be a better conduit for money than the SBA. These small businesses will already have existing tax returns that give a pretty good idea of their incomes and expenses. Most have probably already filed for 2019 but most certainly for 2018. Have the government pay their monthly expenses until the pandemic subsides and businesses can start up again. The IRS records are exactly how we are all going to get our one off payments. Seems to me it should be possible to do the same for small businesses that are impacted. The small business employees will be protected through the special unemployment monthly payment.

I think the Senate bill is a good start. They can borrow up to 2.5 months of avg monthly payroll and if they meet specific conditions, do not need to repay.

We got Chili's togo pickup today.
I went at 1:30, after ordering online to pick it up. I was the only customer.

They had the door locked, as they don't allow customers inside, which is good !

Since I was the only order he just asked my name, and said he would bring it out.
I gave a 25% tip.

I wore gloves and a mask.

No doubt all restaurants are hurting now.

Restaurants in shut-down areas of all types get hurt big time.

I just watched a video interview of a small (non-Chinese) eatery somewhere in LA. The owner said his rent was $1K/day.

I am afraid most small businesses will go bankrupt. Perhaps some others with an entrepreneurial spirit will step up to the plate after this is all clear.

Apparently all but one Chinese takeout in my area (and wow there are a lot of them!) hve been closed.

Chinese food is very delivery friendly and hopefully most restaurants will be okay. The $12 hamburger places that will suffer though...I can't see a lot of people ordering 2 burgers and fries delivered for $25 ($30 with delivery charge).

And it's also works better to double order on things like fried rice, and most other popular dishes - they reheat well. Not so much with a burger/fries, they get soggy.

We've been concentrating on using up our normal stock of stuff, we have a freezer and full pantry, but I guess I'll check which places are doing carry-out near us, to help them and for a change of pace.

In other ethnic-food circles, I got word that our municipality relaxed liquor laws to allow the local Italian place to include beer/wine in their carry out/delivery packages. That makes sense in two ways, helps the restaurant make more sales, keeps some people from making an extra stop.

-ERD50

I don’t get the takeout alcoholic beverages. If you are going to take the food home anyway why pay restaurant prices for an alcoholic beverage to drink at your house?

I don’t get the takeout alcoholic beverages. If you are going to take the food home anyway why pay restaurant prices for an alcoholic beverage to drink at your house?

I agree, I didn't get any.

I just read the email they sent me, they charge $10 for a bottle of wine, that costs $5.99 at liquor stores, so the price difference is not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom