Christmas with family

The U.S. just hasn’t gotten its act together on testing well enough for it to be practical to do prior to every gathering of humans. There will be 5 of us adults together for Christmas Day and we’re all triple-vaxxed, so we’re proceeding without trying to get all five of us tested within hours of seeing each other. Fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear this. it's the times we live in. We are not spending this Chrismass with our family as they all just got the flu and they were also in contact with someone who tested postitive.
Last yr we had snow on Christmass eve and were snowed in for a few days, so this will be two yrs in a row

Our son tesred negative but we ended up cancelling holiday travel anyway, due to covid exposure involving relatives. We will reboot for February.

The unplanned an unexpected time at home is proving relaxing-and safe.

It looks like this one may be over rather quickly if news reports from South Africa are any indication.

Sorry to hear this. it's the times we live in. We are not spending this Chrismass with our family as they all just got the flu and they were also in contact with someone who tested postitive.
Last yr we had snow on Christmas eve and were snowed in for a few days, so this will be two yrs in a row

Keep in mind there are 12 Days of Christmas. That wasn't simply made up for the song. You can do celebratory things until 1/6 and be in the traditional Christmas season.

It's a shame that retailers and media have convinced us that Christmas is only one day. With 12 days people can more easily visit others, stretch out the joy of giving gifts, and have excuses for more social gatherings, etc.

https://www.maryhaseltine.com/2016/12/50-ideas-to-celebrate-all-12-days-of.html

Not getting that gift made or those cookies baked isn't the colossal cultural failure it is when Christmas is only one day. The gift that didn't arrive on time isn't the end of the world. Living the liturgy with the Church, I have a whole twelve days of Christmas to celebrate and that thought gives me freedom to relax a bit and enter into Christmas with a more peaceful heart and less frantic spirit.

Celebrating all twelve days of Christmas can sound overwhelming but I actually find it just the opposite. It forces an efficiency-minded person like me to rest with the mystery of Christmas longer, to enjoy the people around me, and to let the business and obligations of normal life give way to the joyful reality of the Incarnation. Time stops and the world stands still a bit. More time to celebrate means less stress that everything has to be perfect for just one day.

Last edited:
Our Christmas celebration may be more into the 12 days of Christmas, not due to any positive Covid testing, but the darn weather! PNW area expecting unusual snow this weekend, and many folks here sure don't know how to drive in it! Best just to stay home--LOL.
We may move our family time to later in the week. But it's all good, we will still have an opportunity to be together.

We just cancelled our family plans today.

Same here. :( Just got the news that a member of my brother's family tested positive this morning, so our big Xmas family celebration has been canceled. We had plans for this evening and tomorrow morning with them (along with others), and it's all canceled. I would rant a little about the lackadaisical attitudes towards masking and boostering that led to this... but it's Christmas, so I'll just leave it at that. Merry Christmas everyone! :greetings10:

We are so glad that we have no travel plans to cancel (since we don't like traveling anyway). Frank's family is all right here in New Orleans, but we probably won't be spending much time with them. Maybe just a few minutes to exchange gifts and Christmas greetings. Or, maybe not. Honestly I don't want to expose his older relatives to any germs I might have and not know about.

Now this will shock some of you, I'm sure: For Christmas dinner, we plan to get take out food (probably sandwiches) from a sports bar about a block away from us. Yes, we don't care. To me Christmas is a wonderful holiday for little kids but since we don't have any, we'll be happy just spending a quiet day together.

thanks for reminding me we can go another day. This blasted cold is just hanging on. We both have a first negative antigen test done.

Well our Christmas has taken an ugly turn. Antivaxed and anti masked in-laws normally stay at their daughter's house for several days over Christmas. The daughter (our niece) and her husband just can't seem to tell her parents no.

So the in-laws drive here from another state, at which time niece's husband announces that he's been exposed to covid and the whole house is in quarantine. Sorry but they'll have to find somewhere else to stay. Brilliant move on his part. He tested negative, but you never know.

So our in-laws call DW claiming that they have no place to stay. DW says that they can stay at our place. So we've been exposed to this for the last 2 days with 2 more to come. I'm not happy.

Well our Christmas has taken an ugly turn. Antivaxed and anti masked in-laws normally stay at their daughter's house for several days over Christmas. The daughter (our niece) and her husband just can't seem to tell her parents no.

So the in-laws drive here from another state, at which time niece's husband announces that he's been exposed to covid and the whole house is in quarantine. Sorry but they'll have to find somewhere else to stay. Brilliant move on his part. He tested negative, but you never know.

So our in-laws call DW claiming that they have no place to stay. DW says that they can stay at our place. So we've been exposed to this for the last 2 days with 2 more to come. I'm not happy.

I had my family Christmas meeting via zoom last night. Short and sweet.

Glad I chose that route, especially watching the news of all the weather and travel headaches (over 2000 flights cancelled Christmas eve) and the posts here of how difficult it is to get some folks to treat the virus seriously.

Last edited:
There's something to be said for having a very small family (some family are back in California where we moved from 3 years ago). Just my DW and I, our adult kid, and fiancee. Our kid has been testing weekly since the COVID tests became available in 2020 as part of a pilot program paid for by the company they work for.

This became helpful when the various attempts to work onsite resulted in exposure to individuals who tested positive for COVID and in some cases became ill. Worst case was the direct manager, in her early-to-mid 30s, who had COVID, recovered, followed up with the vaccine after a period of time, and developed neurological damage soon after vaccination that she hasn't recovered from many months later.

Our kid took on some of the managerial responsibilities because of this, and this resulted in additional face-to-face meetings and further exposure risks. At least the tests keep coming back negative.

Anyway, we get the visit today on Christmas Eve. They will visit the future in-laws (3 hours away) tomorrow. I much prefer that order.

Last edited:

Oh my. I'd be livid. I hope you stay healthy. I'd mask in my own house if this were me, especially given Omicron.

I had my family Christmas meeting via zoom last night. Short and sweet.

Glad I chose that route, especially watching the news of all the weather and travel headaches (over 2000 flights cancelled Christmas eve) and the posts here of how difficult it is to get some folks to treat the virus seriously.

Smart move.

Oh my. I'd be livid. I hope you stay healthy. I'd mask in my own house if this were me, especially given Omicron.

Thanks- we should be ok. DW, MIL and I are all boosted. We may need it. Masking at home is a good idea. And yes - I am livid.

We were planning to go down to Pennsylvania to spend Christmas Eve and Day at my sister-in-law's house. Sadly, the young wife and I both pulled a positive on our pre-travel home Covid antigen test yesterday, so that's not happening.

We started developing symptoms on Tuesday/Wednesday and probably were infected last Friday at the theater. We went to a musical that required proof of vaccination at the door, and we have been fully vaccinated and boostered since October. However, one of cast (who was fully vaccinated, as were they all) tested positive the next day and the rest of the run was cancelled, so I could see it coming once I heard that. I was hoping that having been seated in the very back row, we may have escaped and that my congestion was just a cold, but not so. We tested negative on Wednesday morning, but then got a very, very faint (needed a magnifying glass to be sure) red line on Thursday, and that was it for our trip. The good news is that the strength of the red line is, according to the literature, proportional to the viral load, so it seems we may not have a heavy one.

So now, it is just the young wife and me isolating at home for the next two weeks. So far, it feels like any other cold. Sinus congestion, a cough every once in a while, not sleeping all that well. Dayquil and Nyquil are controlling the symptoms well, and we are well equipped and fully supplied for isolation. I look forward to our release early in the New Year.

Here's my PSA - Be careful and get vaccinated and boosted. Although it didn't keep us from becoming infected, I am convinced that our mild symptoms are a direct result of our having had the three shots.

Last edited:
Gumby, wishing you and your DW a quick and easy recovery.

In the UK it may be that half of all folks suffering cold symptoms have the Omicron variant. Infections continue to increase exponentially but so far hospital admissions have only risen by a small amount. Well over a million tests are done each day and only PCR validated positives are shown in the stats.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-uk-guidance-zoe-study?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The most widespread symptoms of the Omicron variant now match those of common colds, with calls for the government to update its public health messaging to include a wider number of likely Covid symptoms.

The most common symptoms reported among users of the Zoe Covid app have been a running nose, headaches, fatigue, sneezing and sore throats, according to the study’s most recent analysis of confirmed cases in London.

Half of those reporting cold-like symptoms also tested positive for Covid, with no clear difference in the symptoms reported for Delta or Omicron infections. But only about half of infected users also reported the “classic three symptoms of fever, cough, or loss of sense of smell or taste”, according to the Zoe analysis.

The Zoe analysis was supported by the Sage committee of scientific advisers at a meeting held on Thursday. The committee said there was “preliminary evidence” of changes in symptoms accompanying Omicron infections, as loss of taste or smell “seem to be reported less frequently”.

In the UK it may be that half of all folks suffering cold symptoms have the Omicron variant. Infections continue to increase exponentially but so far hospital admissions have only risen by a small amount. Well over a million tests are done each day and only PCR validated positives are shown in the stats.

You seem to be getting an early demonstration of what Covid will be like for the rest of us when it becomes endemic and better managed. That seems like the best outcome at the moment.

Last edited:
My kids are coming for dinner tonight after work. Tomorrow one of my sons and a friend are coming. Everyone is local which is good because the weather out here is not good for long distance travel.

Our get together was just cancelled. 3 folks got exposed to 2 folks who have now tested positive. It is a bummer, but we are already planning a late January thing so that my brother from Canada can attend. he needs to be boostered to cross the border and he will be eligible mid-January.

Unfortunately the two younger kids can’t make it from Ohio and Wisconsin back to California for Christmas. And expected snow storms in the mountains will keep older daughter from trekking across the Sierras from her place in Reno.

So it’ll be two of us plus Mom and FIL … AND just today found out a much loved neighborhood kid sadly has no place to go on Christmas Day. Currently shopping for a few presents for our young guest.

Wow, sorry for those of us who had their plan changed at the last minute.

Our big family potluck get-together for tomorrow is still going on, at least as I write this. Just chat online with my daughter about what she will bring to my brother's, who is hosting this. I have 3 hors d'oeuvres I will bring, plus a bottle of Armagnac for after-meal sipping.

We are all triple-vaxx'ed, excluding my 5-year-old niece. She contracted Covid back in late summer prior to Omicron, and it was a very light case. She caused a breakthrough infection of her dad who was double-vaxx'ed then, but my niece stayed negative. The dad's breakthrough Covid was like a cold, from what I was told.

Last edited:
We were planning to go down to Pennsylvania to spend Christmas Eve and Day at my sister-in-law's house. Sadly, the young wife and I both pulled a positive on our pre-travel home Covid antigen test yesterday, so that's not happening.

We started developing symptoms on Tuesday/Wednesday and probably were infected last Friday at the theater. We went to a musical that required proof of vaccination at the door, and we have been fully vaccinated and boostered since October. However, one of cast (who was fully vaccinated, as were they all) tested positive the next day and the rest of the run was cancelled, so I could see it coming once I heard that. I was hoping that having been seated in the very back row, we may have escaped and that my congestion was just a cold, but not so. We tested negative on Wednesday morning, but then got a very, very faint (needed a magnifying glass to be sure) red line on Thursday, and that was it for our trip. The good news is that the strength of the red line is, according to the literature, proportional to the viral load, so it seems we may not have a heavy one.

So now, it is just the young wife and me isolating at home for the next two weeks. So far, it feels like any other cold. Sinus congestion, a cough every once in a while, not sleeping all that well. Dayquil and Nyquil are controlling the symptoms well, and we are well equipped and fully supplied for isolation. I look forward to our release early in the New Year.

Here's my PSA - Be careful and get vaccinated and boosted. Although it didn't keep us from becoming infected, I am convinced that our mild symptoms are a direct result of our having had the three shots.

Wow! Not a great Christmas present. Best wishes for a quick recovery, Gumby.

Just got home from Christmas Eve lunch with my family--12 in all from age 16 to 90. I went because my 90 year old mother asked me to but I wish I had not. It was an hour and a half drive for me and DH each way. Everyone was double vaxed and most of us have had boosters. I had suggested that everyone have a rapid test this morning but I was voted down--too much trouble everyone said and besides we are all vaccinated everyone said. DH, mother and I did the test anyway and all negative. DH and I are high risk (age 70 and DH has autoimmune disease). Dh and I wore KN94 masks and sat away from everyone--we ate our lunch outside in the cold, just the 2 of us. No one else wore a mask or distanced and my 90 year old mother refused to wear a mask and did not distance. Several of my family asked why I felt it necessary to wear a mask since I was vaccinated. I tried to explain but they paid no attention, in fact one nephew just laughed at my explanation.

DH and I will get tested again in a few days. Maybe I am Grinch but I wish I had just stayed home. I am worried about my 90 year old mother but she is able to make her own decisions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom