Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Contact Tracer - Virtual Volunteers Needed
Old 07-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Contact Tracer - Virtual Volunteers Needed

I got tired of all the arguments online re Covid and a bunch of other things lately so I decided to volunteer to become a Contact Tracer. My hope was to work with the State Health Department, but volunteer opportunities were limited and since retiring early, decided I was allergic to “working”...hence, volunteering!
[mod edit]
Quick overview:

- volunteer to work remotely, for an hour or more a week
- take a 3-5 online course (free) thru John Hopkins, then another couple of hours training on a script, technology and pass a practice interview
- call people who tested positive for the virus and offer support and interview the person to identify close contacts / people and places who were exposed to Covid by this person
- call close contacts and locations to notify them of exposure to the virus, provide guidance and assistance

I have so far been assigned 5 people, including those who were very sick, to some, asymptomatic. One was a college student, another a doctor, and even a TV newscaster. Most of the contacts were very nice, and one, belligerent. In the end, however, everyone understood that this virus could harm them and those close to them and was appreciative of my efforts. I’m sure I’ll have some who won’t care, but at the end of the day, I’ll know I did my part and that feels good!

[mod edit]
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Please keep us posted! This sounds very interesting. I hope people you contact are cooperative.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I would like to know more about this too. Is this all over the country or just restricted to your area? Where I live public librarians are being used as contact tracers, have not heard about volunteer tracers bur I might be interested in that myself.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I would like to know more about this too. Is this all over the country or just restricted to your area? Where I live public librarians are being used as contact tracers, have not heard about volunteer tracers bur I might be interested in that myself.

Unfortunately, most State agencies are trying to staff up but don’t yet have the process fully baked. Most States, probably like yours are using current employees until their contractor can hire people. It’s great to get the economy back up by paying people but it’s sad that we are not able to trace enough people because of the delay.

The volunteer opportunity currently serves Florida (where there is most need) but they are trying to partner with other States who want the help. Volunteers are from all over the world, so if you want to do it, send me a pm and I’ll send you more info. We would love to have you join us!
Old 07-13-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I thought that contract tracing was the perfect temporary job opportunity to help folks who are out of work due to the virus.