Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

California rolled out a digital vaccination record. After you enter your information, you get a link via email or text to a QR code containing your proof of vaccination including dates of first and second doses (as applicable). You can take a screen shot of you QR code and retain it on your phone.

https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
California rolled out a digital vaccination record. After you enter your information, you get a link via email or text to a QR code containing your proof of vaccination including dates of first and second doses (as applicable). You can take a screen shot of you QR code and retain it on your phone.

That sounds similar to what NHS England has done, we have the vaccination record and a QR code available on the NHS app.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's one argument that at some point this virus will run out of mutations and we will be stuck with whatever mutation gives the virus the best chance of long term survival.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01421-7

Quote:
Indeed, more-fit variants can be expected to emerge over time (the occurrence of which will need to be monitored meticulously, as these pose a potential public health threat), but we believe that these will not continue to emerge indefinitely: nothing is infinite in nature, and eventually the virus will reach its form of ‘maximum transmission’. After then, new variants will provide no further advantage in infectivity. The virus will thus stabilize and this ‘final’ variant will prevail and become the dominant strain, experiencing only occasional, minimal variations.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:

Thanks for posting this. CA database was missing my second dose. I've submitted a "trouble shooting request" through the state website.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I checked my record also and found they are missing my first dose which isn't a surprise since I received a leftover vaccine. I have submitted a troubleshooting request.

Thank you for posting the link!
Old 06-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #26

It's not a "vaccine passport" but many venues around the Los Angeles area are using it for proof of vaccination for events and live studio audiences for shows. May of the late night comedy shows are accepting vaccinated only people for live audiences. I hope they integrate this system with the EU and UK for travel.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Washington state just emailed me yesterday about an online system that includes Covid vaccinations given this year. I registered and signed on. Sure enough both my Covid shots are there along with the lot number of the vaccines. Very good. Alas, my other current vacinations, such as the latest Shingrex shots I had, are missing. Oh well, one step at a time.

I even printed out a certificate showing me as vaccinated. Wow! No doubt it will dazzle passport control officers all over the world.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's one argument that at some point this virus will run out of mutations and we will be stuck with whatever mutation gives the virus the best chance of long term survival.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01421-7
That would help greatly with eventually getting the correct vaccine for the correct variant. It looks like Delta variant has knocked out the Sinovac vaccine.

from the article: "Indonesia doctors fell sick, many died after taking Chinese-made Sinovac vaccine: Indonesia, it seems, is a case study for a nation where the new Delta variant of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus confirmed some of the most morbid apprehensions of the scientific community -- the failing efficacy of certain vaccines in dealing with particular strains.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world...667601232.html

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 06-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Washington state just emailed me yesterday about an online system that includes Covid vaccinations given this year............
I looked and I'm not in it, which is why I'm pretty sure I didn't win the lottery drawing.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Last night I just finished sending an email to friend about what seating section I should buy us (indoor) concert tickets for, when someone else sent me a link to the new WHO guidelines to keep wearing masks and continue social distancing, even if you are vaccinated due to the delta variant -
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/25/delt...t-spreads.html

Our friends, DH and I are all vaccinated and our cities have very high vaccination rates. The concert is being held in accordance with our city and state guidelines, but I have to say I'm a bit apprehensive now about going. It is a mask optional event for vaccinated attendees and the seating chart is just back to the normal, pre-Covid kind of spacing.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-26-2021, 05:51 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Last night I just finished sending an email to friend about what seating section I should buy us (indoor) concert tickets for, when someone else sent me a link to the new WHO guidelines to keep wearing masks and continue social distancing, even if you are vaccinated due to the delta variant -
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/25/delt...t-spreads.html

Our friends, DH and I are all vaccinated and our cities have very high vaccination rates. The concert is being held in accordance with our city and state guidelines, but I have to say I'm a bit apprehensive now about going. It is a mask optional event for vaccinated attendees and the seating chart is just back to the normal, pre-Covid kind of spacing.
That’s rough.

I’m keeping an eye on our local cases. If it starts rising rapidly we’ll take more precautions in public. The vaccination rate in our populous county is quite high. So if cases start to climb that will be concerning.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That’s rough.

I’m keeping an eye on our local cases. If it starts rising rapidly we’ll take more precautions in public. The vaccination rate in our populous county is quite high. So if cases start to climb that will be concerning.

I went ahead and bought the tickets. It is for a local band so I won't be out much if things get scary here again and we end up deciding not to go. Despite the recent WHO cautions, things are really getting back to normal here with concerts, our senior clubs, park events and museums pretty much getting back to normal activities and operating hours, with no masks for the vaccinated and no social distancing.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

You can always wear a mask. Too bad it’s not an outdoor concert.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #34

Quote:
I went ahead and bought the tickets. It is for a local band so I won't be out much if things get scary here again and we end up deciding not to go. Despite the recent WHO cautions, things are really getting back to normal here with concerts, our senior clubs, park events and museums pretty much getting back to normal activities and operating hours, with no masks for the vaccinated and no social distancing.
Here is a timely article (2 days ago) for this subject. It's by Dr. Tom Frieden, former CDC director. I hope this isn't behind a pay wall. What I got out of the article is in high transmissibility situations, wear a mask.

from the article: "Am I really safe if unmasked and vaccinated? How do I know those around me are all vaccinated? What about the Delta variant? Should I still wear a mask even if the CDC says I don’t have to?

The answer to all of these questions is: It depends. The pandemic is an ongoing threat, and variants remain a risk. Wearing masks significantly reduces spread of Covid, even of variant strains, and different types of masks offer different levels of protection. Here are three factors to consider about masking: who you are, where you are, and what you’re doing."

---Who you are
Different people have different risk profiles when it comes to transmitting the virus, getting infected, and getting severely ill.

---Where you are
Not all communities have the same level of vaccination coverage. Places that continue to have higher rates of Covid transmission present risks, and travel to or from these areas can lead to spread of disease.

---What you’re doing
Different activities bring different risks. Are you doing an indoor activity that generates a lot of aerosols?
When participating in indoor activities that generate more aerosols through shouting, singing, or hard breathing, consider wearing a mask. This may include time spent inside crowded gyms, at choir practices, or at an indoor sporting event. Wearing a mask in such cases can reduce the small risk of breakthrough infection, especially when the venue is crowded and ventilation is poor. These instances may also include indoor concerts, graduation ceremonies, or religious gatherings.

https://elemental.medium.com/should-...k-c7ae31958fe5

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 06-27-2021, 12:05 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Here is a timely article (2 days ago) for this subject. It's by Dr. Tom Frieden, former CDC director. I hope this isn't behind a pay wall. What I got out of the article is in high transmissibility situations, wear a mask.
Sounds like good advice. We're still wearing our masks even to places like the grocery store, and most of the other shoppers are, too, even though they are no longer required for the vaccinated. Most adults here are vaccinated, with almost all the new infections here are coming from those not vaccinated.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:29 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like good advice. We're still wearing our masks even to places like the grocery store, and most of the other shoppers are, too, even though they are no longer required for the vaccinated. Most adults here are vaccinated, with almost all the new infections here are coming from those not vaccinated.
Tough choice, but for myself I followed the science recommendations before the vaccines, so still following it now and will only wear a mask where it is still required.
Feels liberating of sorts.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:23 AM   #37

I read where 90-95% of those dying from covid now are not vaccinated. Makes you wonder why people resist. Some just hate shots, some hate doctors, and some are just not informed of most things in life. I believe it is their choice, but still can't figure out why there is such resistance.

VW
Old 06-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I read where 90-95% of those dying from covid now are not vaccinated. Makes you wonder why people resist. Some just hate shots, some hate doctors, and some are just not informed of most things in life. I believe it is their choice, but still can't figure out why there is such resistance.

VW
I think your 3rd choice is the most common reason.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Washington state just emailed me yesterday about an online system that includes Covid vaccinations given this year. I registered and signed on. Sure enough both my Covid shots are there along with the lot number of the vaccines. Very good. Alas, my other current vacinations, such as the latest Shingrex shots I had, are missing. Oh well, one step at a time.

I even printed out a certificate showing me as vaccinated. Wow! No doubt it will dazzle passport control officers all over the world.
Yea, everyone but U.S. Immigration. We just got back from Roatan - Vax cards* got us into Honduras, but we still needed a negative test to return to the US. I guess CBP doesn't believe vaccines work.

*Originals only - someone at the airport in Roatan tried to use a photo of their card on their phone and it didn't fly. I guess they got a rapid test and quarantine pending the results?

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 06-27-2021, 08:21 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post

VW
In the last few weeks several people have died in my area while rafting on the rivers and lakes. Not a one wore a life vest according to news reports.
What can I say?

My former Drivers Ed instructor told us that driving safely should be a habit. If you stop at the STOP sign when it's 2:30 AM on Sunday morning and no other cars are in sight, you will stop at it on a busy day, when that cement mixer is barreling down on the intersection from the cross street. I think the same logic applies for preventive medical care and life vests.

Closed Thread

Tags
attia offit covid