Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
There are sanitizer recipes on the internet. How many are useful against a virus is questionable.
My wife was actually looking at those tonight. I go into some weird houses and I can't wash my hands between each showing when I have 5 showings for a client.
jfn111 is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
I stopped by Walgreen's tonight to get some hand sanitizer. I like to keep it in the car to use after I show houses. The shelves were bare. The wife tried to order some from Amazon and most vendors were out of stock.
You can make an alcohol based sanitizer using rubbing alcohol (the higher the percentage the better - I would guess 91% or up) or grain alcohol. Add some aloe vera gel and perhaps something to make it smell nice (e.g. peppermint oil). Mix rubbing alcohol and aloe to the consistency you want - BUT make sure the % alcohol stays high enough to be effective. (At least 70% after dilution. For example, using 91% rubbing alcohol, you could mix 10 oz rubbing alcohol = 9.1 plus 3 oz aloe vera gives 9.1/13 = 70%. If you wanted it to be closer to 80%, 10 oz rubbing alcohol + 1 oz gel = 9.1/11 = 82.7%)

Disclaimer: I haven't done this (but have done plenty of other DIY crazy stuff).

ETA: Removed mention of vodka as most are 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume)
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 07:45 PM   #163

Here is a (IMHO) good guide.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...yu8NWnGwPTgcIo

As for masks, from everything I have heard, they do very little, to nothing for preventing you from getting ill. They are useful if you are sick and don’t want to spread it around.

Noticed a bit more activity than usual at Target this morning as we were stocking up.
It isn’t so much a fear of shortages, but more enabling us to minimize our time in crowds should the virus hit our area.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
You can make an alcohol based sanitizer using rubbing alcohol (the higher the percentage the better - I would guess 91% or up) or grain alcohol. Add some aloe vera gel and perhaps something to make it smell nice (e.g. peppermint oil). Mix rubbing alcohol and aloe to the consistency you want - BUT make sure the % alcohol stays high enough to be effective. (At least 70% after dilution. For example, using 91% rubbing alcohol, you could mix 10 oz rubbing alcohol = 9.1 plus 3 oz aloe vera gives 9.1/13 = 70%. If you wanted it to be closer to 80%, 10 oz rubbing alcohol + 1 oz gel = 9.1/11 = 82.7%)

Disclaimer: I haven't done this (but have done plenty of other DIY crazy stuff).

ETA: Removed mention of vodka as most are 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume)
Thank You!
I show this to the wifey.
jfn111 is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongleur View Post
You might want an Oral Rehydration Solution - you might need 4 to 8 gallons per day in a critically ill situation. Gatorade G2 powder plus 1/2 tsp salt per quart is cheap insurance on your shelf.
4 to 8 gallons per day? That's a huge volume of water.

Even when one has diarrhea, is it possible to pass that much water through the body? Ugh, that would hurt.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

I purchased several big bottles of isopropyl alcohol (91%) and hydrogen peroxide (3%) at a local Walmart. Even if we don't use them for a long time, they should be OK as I don't think they go bad.

I also bought Lysol wipes although I don't know how effective it is. I wiped door nobs and light switches at home as well as my Chromebook keyboard and screen just for the sake of wiping off something.

I also ordered 400 vinyl gloves from Costco online.

DH thinks I'm being silly, but those will be used sooner or later, so it's OK.

And oh, I bought a box of N95 masks (10 per box) the other day from eBay, paying probably 4x the normal cost. I couldn't find any locally at this point, so I figured that having them at hand would make me feel better, so I went ahead with the purchase. The cost was a little higher than offered by other sellers, but I chose this seller as it already had other historical sales listed and the rating was good.
tmm99 is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #167

I live alone, so I'm not concerned about touching things in my own house unless I have a visitor. And then, there's the mail / mailbox.

The biggest concern for me is that I work in a large building with a lot of people. At least I have my own office. I already have hand sanitizer at work that I'll need to get in a habit of using consistently. We have a cafeteria at work, which I often eat breakfast in, so I'll need to end that. Life is really going to be different for a while.
GenXguy is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #168
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I purchased several big bottles of isopropyl alcohol (91%) and hydrogen peroxide (3%) at a local Walmart. Even if we don't use them for a long time, they should be OK as I don't think they go bad....
Hydrogen peroxide eventually does lose its effectiveness, especially if you open the bottle. Here is a good article discussing its shelf life.
https://www.thoughtco.com/hydrogen-p...f-life-3975974
Old 02-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Hydrogen peroxide eventually does lose its effectiveness, especially if you open the bottle. Here is a good article discussing its shelf life.
https://www.thoughtco.com/hydrogen-p...f-life-3975974
I was not aware of that! Thank you, Gumby. I have one open bottle that's been under my kitchen sink for a couple of years, which is most likely ineffective by now. I should have bought smaller bottles, but I guess I will try to use it up once I open it.
tmm99 is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #170

Actually, the 70% alcohol is better than the 99%.

The presence of water is a crucial factor in destroying or inhibiting the growth of pathogenic microorganisms with isopropyl alcohol. Water acts as a catalyst and plays a key role in denaturing the proteins of vegetative cell membranes. 70% IPA solutions penetrate the cell wall more completely which permeates the entire cell, coagulates all proteins, and therefore the microorganism dies. Extra water content slows evaporation, therefore increasing surface contact time and enhancing effectiveness. Isopropyl alcohol concentrations over 91% coagulate proteins instantly. Consequently, a protective layer is created which protects other proteins from further coagulation.

https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15/...-ipa-used-for/
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 09:35 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

The US Surgeon General has urged people to stop buying masks. He said that it would dry up the supply for medical staff who need them to care for patients.

I find it surprising that suppliers do not set aside some for healthcare providers, or to give them priority over the general public. Perhaps this takes a special mandate that does not currently exist.

I don't have any masks, and will not look to buy them. It's because I do not plan to be among crowds or take public transportation any time soon.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Maybe I'll whip up some fashion masks on my sewing machine from fabric remnants I have on hand and put them on Etsy--a couple of layers of colorful silk, some cotton quilt batting, sequins here and there, ribbon ties.
This could very well be the definition of the phrase “ Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity”
Yoheadden is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 09:51 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

If you have not stocked up, I would do so real soon. There are starting to be sporadic accounts of frenzied buying in spots in the US. More readily observed is the Ebay market for MREs. Why you would go nuts and stockpile these I really do not know, since they have lots of somewhat junky calories and are on the expensive side, but that seems to be what is going on. I decided to restock my supply for camping and hunting trips on Tuesday and ordered 2 cases of menu A and B with a late 2020 inspection date. I paid $140 for the lot, delivered. It looks like prices on Ebay have roughly doubled.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #174
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Maybe I'll whip up some fashion masks on my sewing machine from fabric remnants I have on hand and put them on Etsy--a couple of layers of colorful silk, some cotton quilt batting, sequins here and there, ribbon ties.
I don't know if "tissue paper" means Kleenex or the stuff you wrap delicate presents in.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ong-scientists

The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital worked with the Science Park to devise the do-it-yourself method

Joe Fan King-man, the institution’s assistant hospital chief executive, said the home-made masks had undergone laboratory tests by City University and were proven to have achieved 80 to 90 per cent of the function of regular surgical masks in terms of their filtration of aerosol and droplets.

How to make your own masks and protective shield at home.

Required items: kitchen roll, strong tissue paper, elastic bands, a hole punch, paper tape, scissors, plastic-coated steel wire, a pair of glasses, plastic file folders and binder clips.

Preparation:
For the mask:
Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and clean your items
Put one piece of kitchen roll, with proper hygiene certification, on top of another
Place a piece of tissue paper, which will act as the bottom layer of the mask, on top of the two pieces of kitchen roll
Cut the stack of paper into two
Use the paper tape to seal off the two sides of the mask
Make two holes at each sealed side with the punch
Attach the metallic wire with paper tape to the top edge of the mask to make the nose bridge wire
Tie four rubber bands through the holes on the mask’s sides

For the protective shield:
Cut the file folder into two pieces
Attach one piece on the edge of the glasses with binder clips
The shield can be reused after disinfection for each usage
Note: The hospital said other materials such as cling film, air conditioner filter paper, and cotton cloth were not suitable for making the masks.
Bongleur is offline   Reply
Old 02-29-2020, 10:08 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

What is "kitchen roll"? Ah, paper towels sold on a roll.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The US Surgeon General has urged people to stop buying masks. He said that it would dry up the supply for medical staff who need them to care for patients.

I find it surprising that suppliers do not set aside some for healthcare providers, or to give them priority over the general public. Perhaps this takes a special mandate that does not currently exist.

I find it surprising that hospitals haven't already at the beginning of Feb. increased their orders by 10x, should it turn out to be not needed, they can simply reduce future orders to use up the extra.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #177
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
My wife was actually looking at those tonight. I go into some weird houses and I can't wash my hands between each showing when I have 5 showings for a client.
If its necessary to disinfect your hands then you either wash them or wear disposable gloves. You need to make up your mind whether or not to institute infection control measures. There is no effective halfway measure.

And conservative science says it needs to be 78-80% ethanol, not 70%.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #178
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
4 to 8 gallons per day? That's a huge volume of water.

Even when one has diarrhea, is it possible to pass that much water through the body? Ugh, that would hurt.
Another typo - LITERS. 4-8 liters per day. Wish I could edit past posts...
Old 02-29-2020, 11:44 PM   #179
gone traveling

https://www.elsevier.com/connect/cor...anner#research

Welcome to Elsevier's Novel Coronavirus Information Center. Here you will find expert, curated information for the research and health community on Novel Coronavirus (also referred to as COVID-19 and its temporary title 2019-nCoV). All resources are free to access and include guidelines for clinicians and patients. Under the 'Research' tab you will find the latest early stage and peer-reviewed research from journals including The Lancet and Cell Press, as well as a link to the Coronavirus hub on ScienceDirect, where you will find every article relevant article to Coronavirus, SARS, and MERS freely available. Under the Clinical Solutions tab you will find resources for nurses, clinicians and patients, including FAQs on symptoms.
SNIP

Content hubs from other publishers

Elsevier is among various publishers who are making relevant papers freely available. Others include: Springer Nature | Wiley | NEJM | BMJ | American Society for Microbiology | Chongqing VIP Information

Many publishers have also signed the Wellcome Trust Statement committing to share relevant nCoV research and data rapidly and openly.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:53 PM   #180
gone traveling

Presuming you do have an effectively high concentration of alcohol, 60 seconds is really quite a long time to maintain wet contact. Or just when washing with soap. I have some 1 minute sand timers from boardgames. You can buy them online as well.
Closed Thread