Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just canceled my April 15 flight (SFO-LHR). They are not making it easy to get a refund. Easy to find the link to keep your credit open or rebook (until April 30 I think) I haven't gone down any rabbit trails yet. I'm probably going to look on Flyer Talk to see if anyone has had any luck
Well, you're in luck, though; if your flight was cancelled, you can insist on a refund. You might have to call in and wait on hold for a while, though. I am really hoping my flight is cancelled, but for the last couple of days they've cancelled the earlier of the two flights on that route, and I'm on the later one. Oh well, I could always get a voucher if I can't get a refund, but I really would prefer a refund at this point.

The airlines that I do (did, maybe....) business with and let market to me have completely stopped marketing too me. No fare sales, no "we are in this together....", no nuthin'.

Well, you're in luck, though; if your flight was cancelled, you can insist on a refund. You might have to call in and wait on hold for a while, though. I am really hoping my flight is cancelled, but for the last couple of days they've cancelled the earlier of the two flights on that route, and I'm on the later one. Oh well, I could always get a voucher if I can't get a refund, but I really would prefer a refund at this point.

When I called United for my cancelled flight on Monday, the hold time was 15 seconds, and it took the rep 2 minutes to refund my taxes and fees and redeposit my miles. Very painless.

What would you do?

Our tour this summer was postponed two years to 2022. We had paid in full via their terms. The fine print has all kinds of outs for them. Surprised they didn't just take it all.

They have offered the following settlements:

- Refund all but 23% of our payment. So, we are out 23%.

- Refund all but 40%, and put the 40% for a credit for the 2022 trip.

I think I'm going to take the money and run, get the hell out. I really don't care if I never travel again. My state and region of the USA still has plenty to see by day trips, or quick overnighters. I have no stomach for huge downpayments anymore.

If I do this, I can try and deal with AIG for the remainder - or at least a return of my premium - but that's another matter. They all also [-]full of ****[/-] have plenty of out-clauses in their fine print.

JoeWras, how did you pay? Any chance you can lobby your CC company for a complete refund of your money?

JoeWras, how did you pay? Any chance you can lobby your CC company for a complete refund of your money?

No credit cards. Didn't allow them for the initial payments, and put a big premium on the final payment -- which was quite a while ago.

So, CC is out of the picture.

Hey, the stimulus check will basically take care of our loss. Maybe I should update that thread as to where my stimulus will go.

They just canceled my April 15 flight (SFO-LHR). They are not making it easy to get a refund. Easy to find the link to keep your credit open or rebook (until April 30 I think) I haven't gone down any rabbit trails yet. I'm probably going to look on Flyer Talk to see if anyone has had any luck

You have to wait 72 hours before your flight before they will refund your money. Per NTSB rules they have to offer you a refund in full. My VA flight is also grounded but VA continues to maintain one flight a day from LHR to LAX and LHR to JFK for now. My connecting flight on BA to my final destination is grounded. My final destination is not allowing anyone but Swiss Nationals and residents to enter the country. I don't expect that to change for a while. In my case, I booked through Expedia and I have to go through them to get my refund per VA and BA instructions. Expedia wants you to wait 72 hours before your flight also. I'm not planning let $4998 for the tickets go without a full refund. We have flown VA upper class at least 6 times already, I don't think they want to piss off business class customers going forward. Both VA and BA are pretty professional organizations. I have been using Expedia since 1998 and never had any problems with them. They even let me make changes to the return flight last year without any change fees as the airline made schedule changes that resulted in a 7.5 hour layover at LHR versus the original 2.0 hours.

Our tour this summer was postponed two years to 2022. We had paid in full via their terms. The fine print has all kinds of outs for them. Surprised they didn't just take it all.

They have offered the following settlements:

- Refund all but 23% of our payment. So, we are out 23%.

- Refund all but 40%, and put the 40% for a credit for the 2022 trip.

I am wondering if 23% represents their profit before taxes and fixed costs??

Last edited:
I am wondering if 23% represents their profit before taxes and fixed costs??

They have zero details. Remember, all the fine print is in their favor. I'm glad to see any settlement at all. Who knows if they'll be in business next year?

To be fair, they have sunk costs already. A lot of work by their employees has gone into this fairly complex trip. I doubt it is 23%, but it is surely something. So, yeah, it may also include profit. Sounds about right.

I just cancelled our $5,xxx Princess cruise from the UK which was end of May.

I had to cancel via Costco travel , as that was my travel agency, I had first called Princess, who confirmed the cancellation (temp) policy as I read it.
But they said I had to cancel via my TA.
I ignored the TA phone message that says to wait a few weeks ... etc , as my cancellation policy would be less beneficial if I waited weeks. I did think if people follow that suggestion they will later be more disappointed.

I phoned and waited on hold for 1 hour, (it was projected 3 hrs) and got a lovely person who didn't seem stressed, and was super clear in the steps.

Result:
$200 Future Cruise credit , must be used by end of 2021.
Rest refunded to CC. in about 7 days. :)

Everything else, I expect less success, but it was the big expense, and for the rest I can wait more weeks to let the virus grow in Scotland and UK, which might help in cancellations, especially the flights.

Felt I had to update, and ask advice:

I called back to Costco Travel, as 14 days (10 business) days had gone by, so wondered where is my refund ?
The Costco TA, said they would check with Princess and came back and told me it would be 60-70 days :eek:

I checked my CC charge, and it says the charge was by Princess, not Costco Travel, but I don't really know how the merchant name is decided.

So now, 2 days later, I phoned Princess, who told me, any money issues I have to deal with Costco, and the Princess policy is 60 days, and the Policy which came out March 20th (3 days after my cancel) is retroactive.

So what should I do, dispute the final payment of CC charge which is $4,632 out of the refund amount of $5,112 or wait the 2 months and hope Princess does not declare bankruptcy. ?

I just got my last refund credited to my credit card after cancelling reservations for a road trip I was planning for later this Spring. All my reservations for lodgings were with major hotel chains or mom-and-pop hotels. Friends who have booked through VRBO or Airbnb are facing some rather onerous cancellation charges. From what I hear Airbnb will go to bat for most travelers, but VRBO doesn't think it's their problem. We will see who survives this and gets a chance to return to a profitable state of their business. After all , what goes around, comes around.

Same with the airlines. I hear horror stories of several airlines not obeying the rules requiring a refund on cancelled flights. But, they have the advantage of having been allowed to absorb their competition via mergers. Lucky them?

I am canceling all our Europe hotels for August. Will wait and hope Lot airlines cancels our flight.

Oh well. In 10 years, all of this will pass, and there will be cruises again. I hope so.

Until the next pandemic.

Or even things like the norovirus.

Needs to be repeated again, floating petri dish.

So, in regards to this current crisis, the Cruise Lines essentially chose to take a chance. Since much of the Federal rescue is aimed at preserving good American jobs (or so we are told), I guess bailing them out would not be a high priority. I am assuming (there's that dangerous word again) that American citizens make up a small percentage of a cruise lines total employees.

Except the owners of these cruise companies are American and politically connected.

Micky Arison owns the Miami Heat and is chairman of Carnival.

Here's an article about the political donations activity of sports league owners:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...political-donations-where-does-their-money-go

And here is a listing of donations from the cruise industry:

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=t6250

They've skirted paying US taxes but want taxpayer money to bail them out.

Until the next pandemic.

Or even things like the norovirus.

Needs to be repeated again, floating petri dish.

People do tend to have short memories.

we've never done a cruise for various reasons, but we were on the fence about trying one someday. I can say with compete certainly now, that there is no way ever we would set foot on a cruise ship..that's just us can't speak for others.

Frontier are flying all flights (remaining) for a fair of 1 cent. (plus fees). For instance $26 r/t ATL-DEN for any two dates there are flights.

I’m in the Orlando airport waiting to get a flight to Des Moines. Our son is no longer comfortable with our 3 year old daughter in a huge daycare so I’m going up to help so our son can continue working.

The airport is a ghost town as expected and those waiting for the same flight are sitting far away from each other in the lobby.

we've never done a cruise for various reasons, but we were on the fence about trying one someday. I can say with compete certainly now, that there is no way ever we would set foot on a cruise ship..that's just us can't speak for others.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/cruise-lines/Pullmantur-15

Our favorite line, (older smaller ships), is temporarily suspending operations - haven't heard of any problems on their vessels.

We still have (minor) deposits outstanding.

DH is finally getting it that our Sept Alaska cruise IS going to be cancelled, rather than MIGHT be cancelled. I told him that with (mild) asthma, there is no way I'm getting on a floating petri dish until a vaccine is available.

Felt I had to update, and ask advice:

I called back to Costco Travel, as 14 days (10 business) days had gone by, so wondered where is my refund ?
The Costco TA, said they would check with Princess and came back and told me it would be 60-70 days :eek:

I checked my CC charge, and it says the charge was by Princess, not Costco Travel, but I don't really know how the merchant name is decided.

So now, 2 days later, I phoned Princess, who told me, any money issues I have to deal with Costco, and the Princess policy is 60 days, and the Policy which came out March 20th (3 days after my cancel) is retroactive.

So what should I do, dispute the final payment of CC charge which is $4,632 out of the refund amount of $5,112 or wait the 2 months and hope Princess does not declare bankruptcy. ?

Your travel agent is supposed to pass your CC info to the cruise line and they are supposed to charge you directly. If you ever have a travel agent that charges your card instead of having the travel provider charge it, that's a huge red flag. All that is just to say that yes, it is indeed Princess who charged your card and who now has your money.

It is also true that once you book through a travel agent, you can't call the cruise line directly and speak to someone there. The booking belongs to the TA and they are the only ones that the cruise line will speak with. I'm surprised that they were willing to discuss their cancellation policy with you at all.

So what should you do now? I'd go ahead and file the dispute with your credit card. Make sure you have a copy of the policy that was in effect at the time you cancelled and be prepared to send that in. You may not win this dispute though, especially if Princess has not cancelled the cruise and they're following their current policy for refunds, so you might end up having to wait out the 60 days anyway.

The risk of filing a dispute on a charge that's already been promised for refund is that you can get a double refund as the CC company refunds and then the cruise line refunds and the notifications going back and forth end up crossing. If that happens, the CC company can freeze your card while they untangle things on their end, and it will take them a lot longer than you will think it should. Also, some companies refuse all future business from people who file CC disputes. I don't know if Carnival/Princess is one of them, but I have definitely heard of rental car companies that will put you on a "do not rent" list if you dispute what they consider to be valid charges. A potential ban on future cruising might not be that big a negative for you, so consider it or not as you wish.

I’m in the Orlando airport waiting to get a flight to Des Moines. Our son is no longer comfortable with our 3 year old daughter in a huge daycare so I’m going up to help so our son can continue working.

The airport is a ghost town as expected and those waiting for the same flight are sitting far away from each other in the lobby.

Same here. My one child who is working fears that putting her child in daycare will be a disaster. One kid gets sick and the whole things shuts down. So she is keeping her with a friend who is doing private sitting. It's expensive so I will be giving her my 'gubmint check' to help out. It's hard to think of a better use for that money.

Your travel agent is supposed to pass your CC info to the cruise line and they are supposed to charge you directly. If you ever have a travel agent that charges your card instead of having the travel provider charge it, that's a huge red flag.
When I book with VacationsToGo, the credit card payee is always the cruise company, not VTG. But the cruise company can see that you didn't book directly, so they flip you back to your travel agent for any and all actions with the booking.

Today I got a note from World Nomads, the company I bought travel insurance from (my trip was supposed to start today). They had this in the email
As advised in our prior travel alerts we will not provide you with cover for any loss or event related to the coronavirus (COVID-19), all Do Not Travel bans or government restrictions or recommendations. Loss related to these events ceased to be covered from the date they became known events. Please consider your PDS or policy wording for full details of what events are insured under your travel insurance policy before you choose to continue your journey or choose to travel as this decision may also affect or limit cover for insured events.
I'm not sure what "Loss related to these events ceased to be covered from the date they became known" even means. Maybe if you made a valid claim (not related to the pandemic, like a death in the family) before the government announced closing the airport, it would be valid? But if it was valid then, why would it not be valid after the announcement?

It takes me twice as long (at least) to understand the fine print as most other people, which is why I don't usually buy insurance...I only bought it because the tour operator compelled me. And as a side-note, the tour operator is stonewalling on refunds (I wish they'd offer a 23% penalty, I'd take it. But really, a tour operator should offer a 77% refund and a 23% voucher to get you back in the saddle).

Here's a PDF [ WN_STD_N300S-NSIITC2000-NC-01-1-A.pdf ] of the policy, saved to a google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10kLcI_LxCh2sm_6E6TRYqDR6K29XKx5a/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I'm not sure what "Loss related to these events ceased to be covered from the date they became known" even means.

No expert here, but I think it means that if you decide to travel anyway after the threat is known to exist, they wash their hands of you and you travel at your own risk of loss. If the outbreak had only become known after you were already traveling, you'd most likely be covered.

For myself, I was tremendously impressed by Tauck. We've never gone on a trip with them, but had one set up for May in Italy. As soon as they put Italy on the Level 3 list (no unnecessary travel) about a month ago, I called them to cancel. The response was "Of course. We'll issue a 100% refund immediately". I was also very impressed by Delta, which did exactly the same thing.

Another Email from American for Return Flight?

I'm not sure what "Loss related to these events ceased to be covered from the date they became known" even means.
No expert here, but I think it means that if you decide to travel anyway after the threat is known to exist, they wash their hands of you and you travel at your own risk of loss. If the outbreak had only become known after you were already traveling, you'd most likely be covered.
That's it!

My flight was scheduled for tomorrow at 1:25PM and I got a call just now, so slightly under 24 hours before the scheduled departure to Ecuador (which shut-down flights a long time ago).

During this brief call, the agent told me my flight was cancelled and that they were offering to move it for free to any date before December 31, 2020 (I think that's the date, but I wasn't listening, because I wanted the money). But the rep followed with "or we can refund to your credit card", and I said "refund!". She said "ok" and that was it.
Just got an email from American for my return flight, which is weird, because my entire booking is already cancelled. I went to check the refund status [ https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/ ] and it says "pending review". I doubt they'd play games and only refund the outbound leg, but this IS an airline :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom