Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
As to the idea of denial to board if you're sneezing and/or sniffing, I see it as a problem. There are days where I sneeze a bunch due to allergies. I'd hate to miss a trip because of that. If it were effective, I'd take one for the team, but if there are 10 asymptomatic passengers that do get on board, then keeping allergy-boy from boarding isn't going to help anything.

On another topic, I'm worried about an aspect of my trip, due to the nature of the trip. People will be traveling from all over the world, through, and likely from densely populated places. Then, on to very unpopulated areas. Not a problem for us, but I wonder if the locals will be worrying about these international travelers bringing in the virus. If I were them, living in 'the boonies', I'd be very wary of such visitors. And I'd have a difficult time living with knowing that the expanding 'red dot' on the map was my fault.
In China and some other places, you get temperature scanned at the airport and other places. I don't think everyone that sneezes should be denied boarding. However, someone that sounds like they have pneumonia and does not have the common sense and courtesy to stay home needs to have someone with better judgement make the decision for them. It makes more sense than shutting down all the schools because the virus is in the area.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're 3 weeks from leaving on a trip to Berlin, Dresden, Krakow and Budapest. We're not traveling with a group, and seldom experience large crowds in our travels other than on an airplane. I've seen no talk of problems in these cities, thank Goodness.

The alternative for this year may be domestic travel for many people. So far, so good in North America for the most part. But after extensive travel for work prior to ER, we only travel internationally--usually Europe.

Some of our best trips have been in times of trouble. We once were the only Americans in the Hofbrauhaus on a Saturday night back in 2001--right before going into Iraq.

With so many airplanes being grounded and so many cruise cancellations across the world, look for fares in travel to hit rock bottom in the coming months--and bargains will be everywhere. The trick will be choosing locales where health problems will be greatly minimized. It might also be a great year to head for colder northern places--like Scandinavia--where virus' don't live so well. Any way it goes, this subject is To Be Continued . . . . .
Old 03-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #103

On the lighter side, The Amazing Race had been filming their new season in the UK but they have now cancelled production and sent everyone home.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/cbs...rs-1203519026/
Old 03-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

I was watching the news last night and the experts expect the height of the virus in August in the states so it’s not looking good for our Europe trip in August. We were so looking forward to being gone a month. Maybe the airline will cancel so we get our money back.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was watching the news last night and the experts expect the height of the virus in August in the states so it’s not looking good for our Europe trip in August. We were so looking forward to being gone a month. Maybe the airline will cancel so we get our money back.
The news must be reading these threads as a great poster already worked this out days ago.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
As to the idea of denial to board if you're sneezing and/or sniffing, I see it as a problem. There are days where I sneeze a bunch due to allergies. I'd hate to miss a trip because of that. If it were effective, I'd take one for the team, but if there are 10 asymptomatic passengers that do get on board, then keeping allergy-boy from boarding isn't going to help anything...
+1

Both times when I spent time in Tuscany, and last year in Spain, I was hit with severe hay fever attacks. Too many darn olive trees. In the current atmosphere, I would not want to be seen sneezing or having a sniffle.

The original plan was already for 2020 to be an RV'ing year. I see nothing yet that keeps me from doing that, except for the health of my mother-in-law, who's under the care of my wife.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
On the lighter side, The Amazing Race had been filming their new season in the UK but they have now cancelled production and sent everyone home.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/cbs...rs-1203519026/
Some good news for a change.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Well there's evidence that the virus has been spreading in the Pacific NW for 6 weeks, so US isn't immune from this outbreak.

The fear is that lack of testing has basically hidden all the cases.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #109

I just spoke to my Father-In-law and he said that they just cancelled the Geneva auto show. All gatherings over over 1000 people are now banned in Switzerland. France is also banning large gatherings. The upside to this is that when we do travel to Switzerland in May, we won't have to deal with big crowds with their mobile phones on their selfie sticks at popular locations. Airlines are already cutting back on the number of flights to Asia and Europe as demand falls off.
Coronavirus - Travel impacts II
Old 03-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

I googled Rod Stewart, Caesars, and Las Vegas to see if there was any coronavirus info on his concerts. None, but Rod had a knee replacement last month and is supposedly ready to Rock.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I just spoke to my Father-In-law and he said that they just cancelled the Geneva auto show. All gatherings over over 1000 people are now banned in Switzerland. France is also banning large gatherings. The upside to this is that when we do travel to Switzerland in May, we won't have to deal with big crowds with their mobile phones on their selfie sticks at popular locations. Airlines are already cutting back on the number of flights to Asia and Europe as demand falls off.

That’s unfortunate. I have tickets for an IIHF hockey game in Lausanne in May. Hopefully this is stable before then, otherwise I need to start thinking about other plans.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

We are going to France and Switzerland later this year
We bought comprehensive trip insurance. We always do for big trips.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Some good news for a change.
[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]
Old 03-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
We are going to France and Switzerland later this year
We bought comprehensive trip insurance. We always do for big trips.
Do you mind saying which carrier, how much the premiums were, how much in coverage?

CFAR policies have to be purchased when you make your first payment on a trip, at least those I've found so far.

So would be interested to know if that wasn't the case.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

So now that there is 1 case in Dominican Republic, we are going to cancel our trip there in April.
We will probably lose around 1400 for hotels in Miami and DR. We have insurance, but it will not cover epidemics (pandemic perhaps).
Had planned some safety around the tainted liquor issue from last year.

Still discussing our cruise to the Caribbean in June. It goes to Mexico, which has 5 cases so far. Would need to cancel by Mar 10th, then would just lose the deposit of 258.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
A cruise ship is probably the worst overall environment for contamination of any type of travel we might think of doing.
Yep, mainly because you're on it for a long time.

And, we've got reservations for a cruise out of Long Beach, starting two weeks from today. I could easily see them going ahead with the cruise, but no shore excursions. I see that Jamaica wouldn't let people off one cruise ship this week.

I see the cruise line is still selling cabins on a "to be assigned at boarding" basis. I don't know if that is common, or if it reflects late cancellations.

My primary concern is getting off the ship at the end of the cruise.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Regarding the issue of sneezing and runny nose from allergies being confused with the Coronavirus (I sneeze and sniff a lot from allergies)--I think I read that the main symptoms from Coronavirus is a dry cough down in the lungs, shortness of breath and temperature and occasional stomach upset--not so much sneezing and nasal congestion.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 31 day cruise starting from Buenos Aires this coming week. Hoping for the best. South America is one of the least affected so far. Not sure if that’s good or bad.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always resented my wife for refusing to go on a cruise for vacations. States that cruising is too risky for catching germs. She'd go on a river but not ocean. She's an ICU RN and I thought she was being overly cautious because of her working experience. Now with this covid, I told her she's a genius.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Regarding the issue of sneezing and runny nose from allergies being confused with the Coronavirus (I sneeze and sniff a lot from allergies)--I think I read that the main symptoms from Coronavirus is a dry cough down in the lungs, shortness of breath and temperature and occasional stomach upset--not so much sneezing and nasal congestion.
Thanks for sharing. Next time I get an allergy attack, I will not panic and run to the ER for fear of having caught the virus.

Now, all I need is to make placards with that info, and carry them on my chest and back when I travel.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread