Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the long lines, unless I am missing something. From the article:

But the travel ban doesn't apply to returning US citizens, correct? Are the lines possibly caused by folks returning earlier than planned to get outta Dodge? Or are they possibly caused by delays from the additional screening?

The travel ban does apply to US citizens, in the sense that they are forced to undergo extra screening for the covid-19.

Since people reported it really just the useless temperature check :facepalm: and a questionnaire, I don't see why the delay.

It is certainly NOT that extra planes are flying as the airlines are cutting down on international flights so there should be less planes.

Whatever the reason, it is incredibly stupid to bunch 100's of people together for 5-6 hours waiting in line.
Also, they didn't have enough pens so they told people to share the pens :facepalm:

The travel ban does apply to US citizens, in the sense that they are forced to undergo extra screening for the covid-19.

Since people reported it really just the useless temperature check :facepalm: and a questionnaire, I don't see why the delay.

It is certainly NOT that extra planes are flying as the airlines are cutting down on international flights so there should be less planes.

Whatever the reason, it is incredibly stupid to bunch 100's of people together for 5-6 hours waiting in line.
Also, they didn't have enough pens so they told people to share the pens :facepalm:

The questionnaire is to find out where they have been, where they are going from the airport, get contact number and instruct them to self isolate. Should they just be waved in and sent on their way..

I find it ironic that people who left the country most likely after the virus popped and were in countries with perhaps massive numbers of illness coming fleeing back to the states and whine about standing line.

The government did not force them to return they could have stayed across the pond and waited it out.

Does anyone give a thought to the customs peoples who are just doing their jobs and having face to face contact with these travelers for 8 hours a day or more.

Quit your complaining and follow instructions, self isolate and be happy you made it back to your home.

Last edited:
The questionnaire is to find out where they have been, where they are going from the airport, get contact number and instruct them to self isolate. Should they just be waved in and sent on their way..

Of course they should not be waved in.

I don't see why the questionnaire could not be distributed on the airplane like how customs forms were in the old days. The airline could print them off for each plane.

Why does it take 5-6 hours to fill out a 4 question piece of paper ??

I find it ironic that people who left the country most likely after the virus popped and were in countries with perhaps massive numbers of illness coming fleeing back to the states and whine about standing line.

The government did not force them to return they could have stayed across the pond and waited it out.

We find this funny too, as surely some of them were not in danger, but I understand the desire to return to home, where you have a language you understand.

Does anyone give a thought to the customs peoples who are just doing their jobs and having face to face contact with these travelers for 8 hours a day or more.

Actually yes, I'm sure a number of them called in sick, because they are rightfully scared of catching the covid-19, as I'm sure they were not supplied with protective suits, or face shields and will be dealing with thousands of people from HOT SPOTS.

Quit your complaining and follow instructions, self isolate and be happy you made it back to your home.

Doesn't apply to me, so I'm guessing it's like "Get off my lawn" :LOL:

Of course they should not be waved in.

I don't see why the questionnaire could not be distributed on the airplane like how customs forms were in the old days. The airline could print them off for each plane.

Why does it take 5-6 hours to fill out a 4 question piece of paper ??

We find this funny too, as surely some of them were not in danger, but I understand the desire to return to home, where you have a language you understand.

Actually yes, I'm sure a number of them called in sick, because they are rightfully scared of catching the covid-19, as I'm sure they were not supplied with protective suits, or face shields and will be dealing with thousands of people from HOT SPOTS.

Doesn't apply to me, so I'm guessing it's like "Get off my lawn" :LOL:

Yes it was get off my lawn for the people complaining about the lines...

Your first question is a good one but its not a simple yes no how long are you staying and where are you going. How would the filled out forms be entered into the system in a timely manner. Someone saying they came directly from Spain or Italy might be subject to more scrutiny then other countries. Say two jumbo from overseas land with 10 minutes of each other. Hundreds of people need to moved through the line. Can't use the kiosk or trusted traveler because of enhanced screening.

Heck I've stood in line for 90 minutes in Cancun for routine passport scanning.

The main point it was the first day and hopefully the process can be streamlined.

My step son was home this weekend to see his mom who is very sick with cancer. He left this morning and yesterday the military banned all travel. So glad he got to visit her because he won’t be able to until the ban is lifted. I haven’t seen him in 18 months so happy we got to see him too.

Yes it was get off my lawn for the people complaining about the lines...

Your first question is a good one but its not a simple yes no how long are you staying and where are you going. How would the filled out forms be entered into the system in a timely manner. Someone saying they came directly from Spain or Italy might be subject to more scrutiny then other countries. Say two jumbo from overseas land with 10 minutes of each other. Hundreds of people need to moved through the line. Can't use the kiosk or trusted traveler because of enhanced screening.

Heck I've stood in line for 90 minutes in Cancun for routine passport scanning.

The main point it was the first day and hopefully the process can be streamlined.

Well it looks like it has already been streamlined, they pressed a bunch of firefighters to do the health screening, I saw it on the news, the crowds were not nearly as dense.

The firefighters had been given face shields and gloves.
It did look like it was all done on paper for the questions.

Sitting in the departure lounge at Las Vegas Airport. Gate staff said 3 passengers and 2 bags on the inbound flight from Toronto. Won't be long before no flights. Airport is pretty quiet and I'm sure on the arrival side it is dead quiet.

To my chagrin, Makers Mark has closed it's distillery tour to the public until the panic is over. My bourbon, in my barrel, was scheduled to be emptied April 1st, will be available later. After 6 years, a few weeks won't matter.:(

To my chagrin, Makers Mark has closed it's distillery tour to the public until the panic is over. My bourbon, in my barrel, was scheduled to be emptied April 1st, will be available later. After 6 years, a few weeks won't matter.:(

Whoa, the sh!t is getting real! :flowers:

United's policy seems to be that if they cancel a flight, you can reschedule for free but you must start your new trip within a year of the original ticketing date.

Then after 12 months, if you can't schedule a new trip, they may give you the refund.

Now I hear the airlines are looking for $50 billion in aid from the federal govt. with the anticipated slowdown in their business.

Well if they get this aid, they better liberalize their refund policies instead of trying to get an interest-free loan on a service they didn't deliver as contracted.

Country Shut-Down and AA Ticket

I'm not sure I've done this 'right', but I opened a credit card dispute on the charge for my flight (American Airlines) to Ecuador.

• Ecuador has disallowed international flights in a window of time where my ticket falls (a few weeks from now).
  • I bought a flight on a specific date, not a voucher to be used before some arbitrary date.
  • There was no "100% refund now" option found on the web site
  • I could not get through on the telephone (moderate attempt, but I'm not patient with things like this).
  • American has not reached out to me via email or phone (wouldn't a responsible company say "we'll give you your money back" once they know they won't be able to deliver the exact service you purchased?)

For the above reasons, I figured my last option was to contest the charge.

Anyone else do this? Am I in the weeds?

We are kind of all in that circular firing squad mode. Everyone wants someone else to take the loss businesses and people included.

Not pointed at anyone, just an observation. Everyone wants to be made whole. A lot of businesses will fail. A lot of people will lose their jobs. A lot of people will be out money.

Our European (mostly Italia) adventure

Short Version
We are home in Denver in a self-imposed 14-day quarantine.
We are watching events here in the USA with a sense of déjà vu.

Long Version
29FEB2020 (Saturday) - we arrived in Milano where everything was normal except that the museums were closed. They would “open on Wednesday”. We ate an excellent dinner in a crowded restaurant with lots of happy Italians.
01MAR2020 (Sunday) - We walked around working on getting over jet lag and had an excellent lunch in a quiet restaurant. Bought groceries and ate a light meal in our AirBnB flat.
02MAR2020 (Monday) - Walked around, went grocery shopping at Eataly Milano. Lunch at a wine bar and dinner in our flat.
03MAR2020 (Tuesday) - Visited the Castelo Sforzesco. Ate lunch, partook in operative and ate dinner in crowded restaurants.
04MAR2020 (Wednesday) - Went to the famous Starbucks Reserve Roastery and climbed the 259 steps up to the Duomo roof. No crowds. Long walk to see Leonardo’s Last Supper (we had tix), but it was closed. “Open tomorrow”. Dinner in our flat after walking 7.8 miles.
05MAR2020 (Thursday) - All the museums are closed. Ate a fancy lunch along with many people.
06MAR2020 (Friday) - Up and out the door to Varenna. Had a wonderful dinner in Varenna. Only a few customers.
07MAR2020 (Saturday) - Had pizza for lunch and visited the Il Giardino Botanico. Aperativo in the sunshine with many Italians. Fabulous dinner in a half-full restaurant. Lombardia is made a Zona Rossa at midnight.
08MAR2020 (Sunday) - Lunch with our AirBnB host in a small restaurant. Light dinner in our flat. All restaurants are closed for dinner per government edict.
09MAR2020 (Monday) - Went back to the same restaurant for another excellent lunch. Informed that restaurant was closing for the duration as all of Italia was in a Zona Rossa. we were supposed to leave Varenna today for Genova, but decided to stay here.
10MAR2020 (Tuesday) - Another very good lunch in a small restaurant.
11MAR2020 (Wednesday) - Took the ferry to Bellagio. Ate lunch in a bar. That night the government closed all businesses except grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations. Decided to leave Italia.
12MAR2020 (Thursday) - Ate lunch with our host in his flat and then took a private ride to Milano Linate. We were on the last Air France flight out of Italia. Most people were wearing masks. Checked into a hotel near CDG.
13MAR2020 (Friday) - Up very early, checked out and flew Air France to LHR. Checked into a hotel at Heathrow. Ate lunch and dinner in the Hilton Garden Inn.
14MAR2020 (Saturday) - Up early and checked into the first class lounge at Terminal 3 where we informed that we would not be flying to Denver as it was among the chosen cities. Rerouted to a flight out of Terminal 5 to LAX. Arrived at LAX and got in the 45-minute queue to use the machines to get our receipts. About to enter the next 45-minute queue to see an agent when they opened up some new stations and we zipped thru immigration. As we left, we heard them talking with CDC people about medical screening. We missed it “by that much”. Walked to Terminal 4 and got on our flight home to DEN.

Short Version

Long Version
... As we left, we heard them talking with CDC people about medical screening. We missed it “by that much”. Walked to Terminal 4 and got on our flight home to DEN.

^ Wow

Welcome home.

Short Version
<snip>
Glad you made it home, and thank you for doing the responsible thing. I hope it turns out to be just an extended staycation!

I sent ^^^to my relatives in Italy. It's a bit shocking to actually visualize the dated timeline. Last Friday, here in Champaign, looks a lot different than it does today. I"d say you are a very lucky couple! Hope you come out healthy after the 14 day quarantine. Sadly, that quarantine may last more than 14 days (meaning longer isolation).

Last edited:
davebarnes glad you made it back and I hope you are serious about quarantine.

So even people flying strictly domestic could be infected by your adventure.I wonder if you could explain your thinking as you continued to dine out even after you realize there was a major problem going on?

This makes it clear to me we need to lockdown the restaurants and such in the whole country right now.

Be sure and let us know if you stay uninfected I certainly wish you the best.

I am guessing that Dave couldn't cook in his rental so dining out was one of the few options. I also assume the restaurants were pretty empty. Glad you made it back safely!

I'm not sure I've done this 'right', but I opened a credit card dispute on the charge for my flight (American Airlines) to Ecuador.

• Ecuador has disallowed international flights in a window of time where my ticket falls (a few weeks from now).
  • I bought a flight on a specific date, not a voucher to be used before some arbitrary date.
  • There was no "100% refund now" option found on the web site
  • I could not get through on the telephone (moderate attempt, but I'm not patient with things like this).
  • American has not reached out to me via email or phone (wouldn't a responsible company say "we'll give you your money back" once they know they won't be able to deliver the exact service you purchased?)

For the above reasons, I figured my last option was to contest the charge.

Anyone else do this? Am I in the weeds?

If your flight is cancelled by the airline, you are entitled to a full refund per the NTSB regulations. You normally have to wait 72 hours prior to the flight to claim a refund. They airlines or third party agents should reach out to you about a week before your flight date.

I am guessing that Dave couldn't cook in his rental so dining out was one of the few options. I also assume the restaurants were pretty empty. Glad you made it back safely!
We could cook and did. We always stay in AirBnBs with kitchens. But, for us, dining out while traveling is one of our pleasures. We spend a lot on meals.

One change that we're making is to quit putting all our credit card purchases on a mileage card because who knows when we'll use the miles again, especially since we have a credit already. Now we're putting everything on our cash back card because that seems to be what's going to be needed most.

Rick Steves just canceled my 7 days in Paris tour. Scheduled for April 20. Last week he cancelled tours in France up to April 19th. Full refund in 2 weeks. Now to see what Virgin Atlantic does. I saw something about them cancelling 75% of their flights. Which should generate a refund too. This was all on my "To Do" list this week. I love it when stuff gets done without me lifting a finger

edit: Virgin Atlantic cancelled a bunch of flights....but not my flight! May have to play chicken as the date gets closer & see if they hold on. I'm flying out of SFO so may be enough high rollers there to keep the flight active. Upper Class was about 40% full. I want them to cancel my flight so i can get a refund. Make it easier to rebook

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom