Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #1061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great to hear, sengsational. BA operates two flights a day on the route I'm ticketed on, and they've cancelled the one I'm NOT on for as far as I can check their schedule, so I may have to take a voucher. But I'm very good at playing chicken, I can wait.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #1062
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A friend had a flight to a South American country (Bolivia?). About a week before the flight the country made it quite clear that they would not admit anybody from certain countries, including the USA. But the airline did not cancel the flight which left from Los Angeles.

My friend booked the flight on a South American airline using a site that specializes in cheap trips. Needless to say it was a very inexpensive ticket. But, it turned out to be one of the most expensive flights he ever bought since he went nowhere. The travel service won't do anything to help him out. The airline's response was "Well, we did operate the flight. It's not our problem if the country won't let you in. To Bad, So Sad."

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #1063
Give me a forum ...

I understand the cruise lines are exempt form the Federal help because most of their ships are registered in foreign countries.

Why would they they register ships in another country ?

If they owned a ship registered in the USA would the Feds help out just that ship?

Old 04-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #1064
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Regulations, taxes, hiring practices?

(I recall, almost 60 years ago when for a short time I drove truck picking up goods at the Melbourne, Australia, docks, that a substantial number of freighters were registered in Monrovia, Liberia......don't know if that's still the case.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #1065

Quote:
I understand the cruise lines are exempt form the Federal help because most of their ships are registered in foreign countries.

If they owned a ship registered in the USA would the Feds help out just that ship?
By registering the ships in far away countries they are able to avoid being subject to US labor laws, which would never allow workers to be subject to 7 day a week 14 hour work days with no overtime or time off. The people who work on cruise ships are one step above slave labor. They come from poor countries and they are desperate for work. The US would never allow this but because the ships are foreign registered there is nothing they can do about it.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #1066
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
By registering the ships in far away countries they are able to avoid being subject to US labor laws, which would never allow workers to be subject to 7 day a week 14 hour work days with no overtime or time off. The people who work on cruise ships are one step above slave labor. They come from poor countries and they are desperate for work. The US would never allow this but because the ships are foreign registered there is nothing they can do about it.
So, in regards to this current crisis, the Cruise Lines essentially chose to take a chance. Since much of the Federal rescue is aimed at preserving good American jobs (or so we are told), I guess bailing them out would not be a high priority. I am assuming (there's that dangerous word again) that American citizens make up a small percentage of a cruise lines total employees.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Great to hear, sengsational. BA operates two flights a day on the route I'm ticketed on, and they've cancelled the one I'm NOT on for as far as I can check their schedule, so I may have to take a voucher. But I'm very good at playing chicken, I can wait.
You can get a pretty good feel for if a future flight is going to operate or not based on how much it's been flying lately.

https://travel.stackexchange.com/que...f-a-particular
Old 04-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #1068
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Really? That does not sound like "Cancel for any reason" to me. Not that I am arguing with you. I do see this as another part of the Lawyer's Full Employment Act. I wonder what the settlement will be?
The language in my not CFAR trip insurance specifically excluded pandemics.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #1069
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am assuming (there's that dangerous word again) that American citizens make up a small percentage of a cruise lines total employees.
Almost infinitesimal from my limited observation.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #1070

Quote:
So, in regards to this current crisis, the Cruise Lines essentially chose to take a chance. Since much of the Federal rescue is aimed at preserving good American jobs (or so we are told), I guess bailing them out would not be a high priority. I am assuming (there's that dangerous word again) that American citizens make up a small percentage of a cruise lines total employees.
Correct. Americans work at their corporate headquarters, typically in Florida. And sometimes the cruise ship director is American. But that’s about it. No American would ever work for the pay and hours offered to cruise ship workers.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #1071
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
My host said no problem.
Airbnb emailed me, and said full refund back to CC
So did mine

This is making me wish I had booked AirBnb for our London stays, as currently they say no refund.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #1072
Give me a forum ...

On the cruises I took more than 20 years ago, the wine stewardesses were American. Same with the cabin attendants. The waiter on one cruise was French. The waiter on another cruise was from Montenegro.

In the recent cruise I took 2 years ago, the crew was mostly Filipinos and Indonesian.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #1073
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The language in my not CFAR trip insurance specifically excluded pandemics.

What the big print promises, the fine print takes away.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #1074
Recycles dryer sheets

I was planning to spend the month of August in Edinburgh. I got a notice today that the Edinburgh International Festival, the Fringe Festival and the Book Festival are all cancelled this year. I was quite surprised that they are canceling events four months out.

I had already booked an Airbnb for the month, and a business class flight. I have a feeling it will be a while before I know if I will get anything back from either of these. The Royal Military Tattoo has already emailed to say they are processing a refund of my tickets.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:09 PM   #1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
Has anyone successfully gotten a refund from a cancelled Virgin Atlantic flight? I have a direct flight to London scheduled for 5/31 that I hope they will cancel so I can get my money back.

Lucky Dude
They just canceled my April 15 flight (SFO-LHR). They are not making it easy to get a refund. Easy to find the link to keep your credit open or rebook (until April 30 I think) I haven't gone down any rabbit trails yet. I'm probably going to look on Flyer Talk to see if anyone has had any luck
Old 04-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
They just canceled my April 15 flight (SFO-LHR). They are not making it easy to get a refund. Easy to find the link to keep your credit open or rebook (until April 30 I think) I haven't gone down any rabbit trails yet. I'm probably going to look on Flyer Talk to see if anyone has had any luck
Well, you're in luck, though; if your flight was cancelled, you can insist on a refund. You might have to call in and wait on hold for a while, though. I am really hoping my flight is cancelled, but for the last couple of days they've cancelled the earlier of the two flights on that route, and I'm on the later one. Oh well, I could always get a voucher if I can't get a refund, but I really would prefer a refund at this point.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #1077

The airlines that I do (did, maybe....) business with and let market to me have completely stopped marketing too me. No fare sales, no "we are in this together....", no nuthin'.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #1078
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Well, you're in luck, though; if your flight was cancelled, you can insist on a refund. You might have to call in and wait on hold for a while, though. I am really hoping my flight is cancelled, but for the last couple of days they've cancelled the earlier of the two flights on that route, and I'm on the later one. Oh well, I could always get a voucher if I can't get a refund, but I really would prefer a refund at this point.
When I called United for my cancelled flight on Monday, the hold time was 15 seconds, and it took the rep 2 minutes to refund my taxes and fees and redeposit my miles. Very painless.
What would you do?
Old 04-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #1079
Give me a forum ...

What would you do?

Our tour this summer was postponed two years to 2022. We had paid in full via their terms. The fine print has all kinds of outs for them. Surprised they didn't just take it all.

They have offered the following settlements:

- Refund all but 23% of our payment. So, we are out 23%.

- Refund all but 40%, and put the 40% for a credit for the 2022 trip.

I think I'm going to take the money and run, get the hell out. I really don't care if I never travel again. My state and region of the USA still has plenty to see by day trips, or quick overnighters. I have no stomach for huge downpayments anymore.

If I do this, I can try and deal with AIG for the remainder - or at least a return of my premium - but that's another matter. They all also full of **** have plenty of out-clauses in their fine print.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #1080
Give me a forum ...

JoeWras, how did you pay? Any chance you can lobby your CC company for a complete refund of your money?
Closed Thread