Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I'm using a variety of sources but it's a guess. Based on European surveys, it looks like somewhere between 20 and 30 percent of cases become long haulers. About 80,000 people belong to the public FB support group, Survivor Corps. About 8,000 belong to the private Slack support group, and 8-10,000 to the two private Long Haul COVID Fighters groups on Facebook.

There are approximately 6,000,000 cases in the US. I'm not sure if that is the number of positive tests (many people have had multiple positive tests) or the number of actual cases.

There is no hard data yet. There is no tracking of long haul cases. A substantial percentage of self reporting long haulers in the support groups either did not have PCR tests because they were not available or they were negative. It will be a year or longer before we get a handle on the number of chronic cases.

Pretty sure the insurance companies are looking at this because of the cost implications. Long haulers are expensive and there is no disease management experience for insurance companies to use in their cost estimates. My guess is they have some preliminary numbers that they won't want to share.

As a side note, if the ACA were to be invalidated, my guess is having COVID or even a positive PCR test will become a previously existing condition and will be excluded from insurance. And that's if COVID survivors can get insurance at all.
This will bear watching closely...an informal "poll" used people around 4 weeks past COVID and asked them if they felt "normal" a large percentage said that did not. A really bad bout with the flu can take a month plus to recover from. So they will need a definition of long haul, and a reliable way to track people and their symptoms. I mentioned on another CONID thread my DH had a heart valve replacement surgery go very badly. In hindsight he tells me it took him around 18 months to feel completely himself again. Little by little things kept improving.

As far as insurance companies and ACA probably best to keep that for another thread.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #22

Members report that others sharing personal experience with the disease is helpful, so please, no arguments about what might happen, interpreting statistics, what is "right" and all the stuff in the warning you read when you clicked to post, plus the containment area sticky post.
sengsational is online now   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't catch it, but long haulers were part of Dr. Fauci's testimony at the Senate today.

Here's an interesting opinion piece on Bloomberg. The graphic is helpful in understanding the long haul symptoms.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...R19kFYdI59m27E
Another Reader is online now   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Members report that others sharing personal experience with the disease is helpful, so please, no arguments about what might happen, interpreting statistics, what is "right" and all the stuff in the warning you read when you clicked to post, plus the containment area sticky post.
How about one thread that says post your experience here if you tested positive for COVID? Except for one unpleasantly worded post here, I think it's all been pretty civil.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We also had it . We were very cautious but went to a restaurant and five days later had nasal congestion ,cough , fatigue and I had G.I symptoms . SO had chills ,fever , nasal congestion ,fatigue and cough . It was gone in a week but I have lingering G.I symptoms . We are both 73 .
I’m curious, was this indoor dining or outside? Were you dining alone or with members outside of your household? How far away were you from other diners? What type of precautions were the restaurant and other diners taking?

We haven’t been out to eat, but miss it a lot. We keep seeing outbreaks here in restaurants and bars but there’s zero context, which is really frustrating. We don’t even know if the outbreaks are staff or patrons, indoor vs outdoor, etc...
tb001 is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrono View Post
CHILL OUT DUDE! Take a deep breath and relax.

I merely shared my experience...not meant to minimize anyone else or their situation. Hopefully, most people will recover without serious medical consequences.

You need to learn to QUOTE.
retire-early is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How about one thread that says post your experience here if you tested positive for COVID?
It would bw nice if personal experience remains central in this thread. Testing might or might not be relevant to each person's story. Picking out something out of someone's story, challenging it, isn't going to be the best way to keep on track. Not saying you, or anyone has done this, just, going forward, if we can just accept the experiences, we can have a long, informative thread.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
I’m curious, was this indoor dining or outside? Were you dining alone or with members outside of your household? How far away were you from other diners? What type of precautions were the restaurant and other diners taking?

We haven’t been out to eat, but miss it a lot. We keep seeing outbreaks here in restaurants and bars but there’s zero context, which is really frustrating. We don’t even know if the outbreaks are staff or patrons, indoor vs outdoor, etc...
It was the first indoor dining that we did . We were about five feet from the nearest person and the restaurant was not busy .
Moemg is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #29

Quote:
It was the first indoor dining that we did . We were about five feet from the nearest person and the restaurant was not busy .
I have friends in northern Arizona. They went out to eat twice after the restaurants reopened in June. Masks on except to eat and 6 feet from others. No other exposure known. He caught it and almost died. She never had symptoms and was not tested.
Another Reader is online now   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
I have friends in northern Arizona. They went out to eat twice after the restaurants reopened in June. Masks on except to eat and 6 feet from others. No other exposure known. He caught it and almost died. She never had symptoms and was not tested.
Reminds me of this recent article:

People who tested positive for COVID-19 were twice as likely to have recently eaten at a restaurant: CDC
Old 09-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks for the additional info. I’m surprised they sat you that close if the restaurant wasn’t busy! Do you know if you caught it from staff or another diner?

We’re going out to dinner for the first time tomorrow. Will be outdoors and early at a place we’ve heard is doing a good job with precautions. If it doesn’t feel safe enough, we’ll leave.
tb001 is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The air circulating in the restaurant (or lack of it) could keep the microdroplets linger in the air much longer and could carry them much further than 6 feet, so that's one factor to consider IMHO.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/h...staurants.html

In Japan, the government is asking people who eat in restaurants to not talk while they eat (as you can't wear a mask while eating) and resume speaking only after they've finished eating and putting their masks back on. Obviously, not many people are willing to do this as most people go to restaurants not just to eat, but to socialize as well.
tmm99 is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrono View Post
TO SOMEGUY:
To answer your question...I am 67 years old and my wife is 59. I trail run, bicycle ride or hike nearly every day. Since the time I was infected I have maintained my usual activity level with NO side effects. My wife had a period of several days where she was short of breath and very fatigued. We are now both back to all usual activiity levels...she went on a 25 mile bike ride yesterday and feeling fine!
Thanks for letting me/us know. Good news!
someguy is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

OP--
Curious about your in law diagnosis.
Did the nursing home KNOW he was positive and no one wore masks?? That would be horrendous care on their part.
Or was he tested after he died? (in which case, the nursing home was most likely doing their job appropriately. Although, in todays environment, anyone staying or visiting a health care facility would do well to wear a mask.
I have read that many are tested after death and covid is listed as a contributing factor.
Very glad you and DW have recovered. Continued good health to you.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #35

Akrono,
Please keep us updated regardless of the flack you get.
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

8 members of my extended family had Covid in the last 2-weeks and are just now coming off quarantine. Ages range from 10 to 71 and all had very mild cases overall...just a couple days of fever and cough. All lost taste/smell for a few days about 4 days after initially noticing the symptoms. My father (71) is the only one who is still having issues as yesterday he was done with his quarantine but developed fever and worse cough/congestion and went to hospital and they now think he has pneumonia.
scottmn4 is offline   Reply
Old 09-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #37

Just about everything about this virus is confusing. I do appreciate hearing about any experience for reference.

DH had a 101-104 temp for several days. Refused to go to Dr. Had chills, night sweats, fatigue, loss of appetite. When his temp came down it remained at @ 99 for several more days. After about a week + 1/2 he decided to go to Convenient Care. So this was approx 10 days after his symptoms started. He tested negative but I believe he was positive.

For one, tests are only 70/30 accurate. And since he waited so long, the virus may have been gone in his nasal throat passages. I did not get any symptoms nor did I get tested. We slept in separate beds, he used his own bathroom, I would not let him get near the kitchen or me. I sanitized everything he touched and sprayed Lysol everywhere he went. I did not go near other people without my N99 military mask (got the mask a couple of years ago when there was a bad flu and I had a long distance flight).

Every experience seems to be different. From mild to extreme. DH was extreme but he recovered. When he went to CC and got a test, they x-rayed his lungs. There was a small spot but he recovered and all is good.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is online now   Reply
Old 09-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #38

Quote:
He tested negative but I believe he was positive.
It's common for this to happen when the test is done later in the disease progression. It makes sense; what was making him feel bad was the furious damage repair mechanism that was still underway, not viral particles. I'm curious what the CC offered. At that stage, steroids might be helpful, but I don't know what else they have in their arsenal.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
It's common for this to happen when the test is done later in the disease progression. It makes sense; what was making him feel bad was the furious damage repair mechanism that was still underway, not viral particles. I'm curious what the CC offered. At that stage, steroids might be helpful, but I don't know what else they have in their arsenal.
Our community did not start testing symptoms other than severe cough and shortness of breath, and high temp.in the early stages. Had to have theses specific symptoms. March into April testing just started to open up to high fever and other unusual symptoms that didn’t fall into the very specific category. His symptoms did not initially fit in the Covid test category. Finally, after 2 weeks of this I called and they approved a test. It was ridiculous. But that was back when they were treating it with ventilators. DH simply did not trust anything and decided to fight it out at home. He was lucky and so was I that I didn’t get it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is online now   Reply
Old 09-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Thanks for letting me/us know. Good news!
Thank you
akrono is offline   Reply
Closed Thread