Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Until not touching my face becomes an ingrained habit (I'm getting there), I wear gloves when going out to 'remind' me not to touch my face. When wearing gloves I act just like I don't have them on because of cross contamination which will occur whether or not one is wearing gloves.

It’s a hard habit to break. For me, eyes and mouth are danger areas. There was a Seinfeld episode that brought my attention to the nose so that’s old history.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #522
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Interesting about the potential impact on premiums. I never understood the reopen enrollment thing - if you are layed off that is a qualifying event and you can enroll.

No, being laid off is not a qualifying event. Losing your health insurance when you lose employment is a qualifying event. So, all those people who lost their jobs but did not have employer related health insurance can't get insurance now.

There are lots of people who don't already have insurance because they couldn't afford the premiums. The reason to allow open enrollment now is to provide a source of coverage to pay for Covid treatment. Sure, if the government pays for it directly to hospitals that is fine. But, the devil is in the details. Many, many, many people may end up having Covid related medical treatment but without a confirmed diagnosis. Or, they get something caused by Covid (pneumonia, for example) and the government refuses to pay. Or the person isn't in the hospital but still needs medical care, etc.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Wearing gloves....at the supermarket and elsewhere...don't presume you're therefore invulnerable:
Sounds like a Minnesota girl. I'm right there with her. I don't bother with gloves because of what she said about washing every time you touch something. Nobody is doing that in the grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I wear gloves for the same reason I wear a face cover at the grocery store. To protect other workers. If I’m infected, I’m spreading the virus to everything I touch. Putting gloves on puts a layer between me and everything else at the store and minimizes the possibility of me spreading the virus to other people through my hands.
I don't get it. The skin of your hands or the surface of your gloves seem equally likely to transmit. Maybe if, say, your steering wheel was contaminated and you put on gloves, you could prevent sharing your virus, but that also could be done by a bit of hand sanitizer and/or cleaning the stuff you touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
It’s a hard habit to break. For me, eyes and mouth are danger areas. There was a Seinfeld episode that brought my attention to the nose so that’s old history.
It was a pick
Old 04-07-2020, 09:36 AM   #524
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
No, being laid off is not a qualifying event. Losing your health insurance when you lose employment is a qualifying event. So, all those people who lost their jobs but did not have employer related health insurance can't get insurance now.
They don't check, so these folks can claim this and get ACA.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #525
Give me a forum ...

Another great interview from Peter Attia;

https://peterattiamd.com/ameshadalja/

The first 10 minutes Dr. Amesh explains how the CV19 virus snuck into the USA and spent about 2 months spreading unabated.

Lots of other good information about the danger of big crowds, what we need to do while waiting for a vaccine, why masks have to be done right or they may cause more harm than good, and more.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #526
Give me a forum ...

I heard a theory as to why children rarely have a serious case of Covid19: they receive vaccines recently, particularly the polio vaccine. The speaker said that it has been many years since older adults have received that vaccine and older adults need stronger versions of any vaccine for it to be effective because the ability to generate antibodies wanes with age.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I heard a theory as to why children rarely have a serious case of Covid19: they receive vaccines recently, particularly the polio vaccine. The speaker said that it has been many years since older adults have received that vaccine and older adults need stronger versions of any vaccine for it to be effective because the ability to generate antibodies wanes with age.
Interesting, and at least plausible on its face.

It should be fairly easy to validate that, based on adults who kept up with boosters, and those who travel a lot and need additional vaccines against diseases not found in our countries but common elsewhere. But unfortunately it may be a while before there is any bandwidth in the medical research community for those types of longitudinal studies.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #528

Quote:
I heard a theory...
mod note: For this thread in particular, but also in general on Covid, please cite theories with links to reputable sources.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #529
Give me a forum ...

I would like a source.

I’ve had several vaccines administered within the last few years for various reasons.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #530
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For those who wanted the source of my comment:

EXCLUSIVE: Can an Oral Polio Vaccine Help Stop the Coronavirus? | Amanpour and Company

Old 04-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #531
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm not sure about his medical credentials, but his brothers Ernest and Julio make a mighty fine wine.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #532

Some new info. out today on how the virus spread from person to person on a cruise ship. It appears that close contact with another person for a period of time is necessary to facilitate spread from person to person. Here is a link to the paper, and a quote:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....09.20059113v1

"Infection among passengers after Feb 6 was limited to those who stayed in the same stateroom with an infected passenger. Infections in crew members peaked on Feb 7, suggesting significant transmission among crew members after quarantine on Feb 5. Conclusions: We infer that the ship central air conditioning system did not play a role, i.e. the long-range airborne route was absent in the outbreak. Most transmission appears to have occurred through close contact and fomites."
Old 04-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Some new info. out today on how the virus spread from person to person on a cruise ship. It appears that close contact with another person for a period of time is necessary to facilitate spread from person to person. Here is a link to the paper, and a quote:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....09.20059113v1

"Infection among passengers after Feb 6 was limited to those who stayed in the same stateroom with an infected passenger. Infections in crew members peaked on Feb 7, suggesting significant transmission among crew members after quarantine on Feb 5. Conclusions: We infer that the ship central air conditioning system did not play a role, i.e. the long-range airborne route was absent in the outbreak. Most transmission appears to have occurred through close contact and fomites."
Very interesting. Back during the quarantine, I had seen some info about how the ship's air conditioning recirculates inside air separately for each stateroom and doesn't mix air between rooms. I think the purpose of that design is mainly to allow each cabin to have its own thermostat, but it seems like it should help prevent transmission of disease as well. I wonder if we'll see more similar systems deployed in new land-based buildings in the future.

I'd also very much like to know more about how likely fomite transmission is for this disease. I really hope someone is studying that as well. It'd be great to know if all the obsessive sanitizing is actually helping to slow transmission of Covid-19 or if we're just preventing some of the usual noro- and rotavirus cases (which is also a fine outcome).
Old 04-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #534
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Very interesting. Back during the quarantine, I had seen some info about how the ship's air conditioning recirculates inside air separately for each stateroom and doesn't mix air between rooms. I think the purpose of that design is mainly to allow each cabin to have its own thermostat, but it seems like it should help prevent transmission of disease as well. I wonder if we'll see more similar systems deployed in new land-based buildings in the future.

I'd also very much like to know more about how likely fomite transmission is for this disease. I really hope someone is studying that as well. It'd be great to know if all the obsessive sanitizing is actually helping to slow transmission of Covid-19 or if we're just preventing some of the usual noro- and rotavirus cases (which is also a fine outcome).
It appears the authors could have addressed the role of fomites. The quarantine began on February 5th and to my recall the Americans were among the first to be evacuated which appears to have started around February 17th.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/16/asia/...hnk/index.html

So if primarily (or actually only) cabin mates became infected after the beginning of the quarantine doesn't that mean neither the air handling system or fomites on dishes etc. handled by the crew played a large role?

Fomites from the cabin mate could have been the vector, I suppose.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Well, if someone is sharing a cabin with an infected person, they can be infected directly by just being near them for a while.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:52 PM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
It appears the authors could have addressed the role of fomites. The quarantine began on February 5th and to my recall the Americans were among the first to be evacuated which appears to have started around February 17th.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/16/asia/...hnk/index.html

So if primarily (or actually only) cabin mates became infected after the beginning of the quarantine doesn't that mean neither the air handling system or fomites on dishes etc. handled by the crew played a large role?

The thing that's throwing me off is the authors of the paper said "Most transmission appears to have occurred through close contact and fomites." So apparently they do think that contaminated surfaces are a likely transmission medium. I agree with you though, that if they were a major cause it seems like a lot more people unrelated to the infected group should have gotten ill during the quarantine.

It also makes sense to me that it would be harder to catch a lower respiratory infection like Covid-19 from a contaminated surface than it is to catch an upper respiratory infection like the common cold that way. But I don't really know enough about it, so I might be way out in left field here. Anyway, I think it would help people and governments figure out what the rules for public spaces should be going forward if they could get more information on this point.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:46 AM   #537

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, I'm not sure about his medical credentials, but his brothers Ernest and Julio make a mighty fine wine.
The Institute of Human Virology (IHV) was co-founded and is directed by Robert C. Gallo, M.D., the eminent scientist who became world famous in 1984 when he co-discovered that HIV was the cause of AIDS and developed the HIV blood test.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Closed Thread