Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #1801
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How did we get so off topic? I guess this thread:

Remdesivir Covid-19 antiviral

wasn't getting enough attention.

About exit strategies and the success or failure thereof, in Ohio, daycare centers are reopening on May 31st, because of the importance of having working parents be able to return to work. However, a local article pointed out a huge problem with the new protocols. During the shutdowns, local daycare centers had to apply for a special pandemic license to be able to continue to operate. They were restricted to mainly accepting the children of healthcare workers and first responders to ensure their ability to continue working. Under the new reopening guidelines and reduced ratios, the centers won't be able to care for as many children as they have been already caring for since the shutdowns. This will mean fewer healthcare workers and first responders will have access to child care next week. There are other issues as well that may lead to some daycare centers not reopening for several more months, if at all.

I was a stay at home mom and my kids are grown now, so I can't imagine how working parents are going to deal with this. But I'd sure like all of our healthcare workers and first responders to be able to continue to go to work, along with as many other working parents as possible. This doesn't sound like a successful piece of our exit strategy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #1802
Recycles dryer sheets

Another aspect of re-opening: When do you actually decide to go back and close up certain things again. In South Korea where there recently was a resurgence of cases, they now have decided to close down 500 schools again that had opened up just a while ago, together with many recently re-opened public spaces:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/asia/...ntl/index.html

The article also has an interesting picture of what may well be the future of school lunches in the US too: students in small plexiglass cubicles. This sounds like an unpleasant cat and mouse game.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:44 AM   #1803

Half the chains are coming off next Friday, we're going green! Whatever that means, I would think green is back to normal. But it isn't, gyms and theatres still closed, and restaurants will be only 50%. 139 cases, 5 deaths since February, 212,000 population.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #1804
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you look at the crowds and lack of social distancing in protests going on in several US cities the last couple of days it seems things have already been "opened up."

I find it fascinating how the media people will wring their hands about crowding at a beach or pool and then move on to protest and riot stories and say nothing about the crowding.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Old 05-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #1805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
If you look at the crowds and lack of social distancing in protests going on in several US cities the last couple of days it seems things have already been "opened up."

I find it fascinating how the media people will wring their hands about crowding at a beach or pool and then move on to protest and riot stories and say nothing about the crowding.
I think you are going to find most of those protesters wearing masks. They have the added benefit of masking your identity as well.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #1806

This is what is opening up in Thailand today. Every two weeks they open up a bit more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2A1B1D7-9F99-4BBD-AD7E-B8167E45615C.jpg (557.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #1807
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess if you're throwing Molotov cocktails in a riot, the danger of Covid seems rather distant.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #1808
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I love the riots. A welcome relief from the covid coverage.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #1809
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I think you are going to find most of those protesters wearing masks. They have the added benefit of masking your identity as well.
DW and I were in Hong Kong last summer, and not knowing what was going on, went downtown on a Saturday and ended up in the middle of one of the biggest demonstrations of that time. The protesters were all wearing masks originally made for health purposes as Asians are used to wearing masks when they have colds or there is pollen in the air etc.

These masks were generally rather fashionable, and when combined with a baseball cap made for perfect protection to hide your identity. DW and I were of course without masks, and so we worried that we would be the easiest ones to identify and the authorities might get the wrong idea about us.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #1810
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post

During the NASA/SpaceX launch today and the scrubbed attempt on Wednesday, authorities and spectators also were not concerned about masks, judging from this news report. They ask the question why that bridge was kept open and why visitors was no distancing.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #1811
Recycles dryer sheets

And staying with Florida and Distancing or Not: Moving 50 miles west, Disneyworld laid out specific plans for re-opening. They say they have 6 foot markers all over now, and claim things worked well in Shanghai as a rationale that they know what they are doing. The Disney rep also said: "Well, unlike Shanghai, where there were strict government mandates in terms of what capacity could be when we reopened, we don't have that here at Walt Disney World." Amazing when you consider there are zero active cases of Covid-19 in Shanghai, while in Florida the virus is alive and well.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/media...pek/index.html

He also said that he is looking forward to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride again, and that the pirates would all be properly distancing. But he didn't say anything about the visitors that are cramped into the "boats" of that ride - if they do distancing there, I'd think the "boat" can operate at only around 10% capacity. I wonder how this is supposed to work, and if they do that, how it can be profitable.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:38 PM   #1812
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Until the tear gas and pepper balls hit. Then you can bet the masks get clawed off pretty fast.

Whoever makes pepper balls is suddenly a growth business.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 05-31-2020, 12:10 AM   #1813

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Until the tear gas and pepper balls hit. Then you can bet the masks get clawed off pretty fast.

Whoever makes pepper balls is suddenly a growth business.
Saw a great picture yesterday regarding fending off tear gas. One guy approached the canister with a small leaf blower blowing the gas away from everyone, then another covered the canister with a bowl like object!
Old 05-31-2020, 09:32 AM   #1814
Administrator

Thanks for the interesting discussion. the thread is now regularly drifting well off topic so we have decided to close it.

Closed Thread