Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many states have already said no school until August.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Is that because they think the pandemic will prevent us from reopening them before August, or are they just assuming that schools will be closed during the normal summer break?

Is it possible that the schools just cancel summer break and use the time we have off now as the summer break?
Old 03-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Is that because they think the pandemic will prevent us from reopening them before August, or are they just assuming that schools will be closed during the normal summer break?

Is it possible that the schools just cancel summer break and use the time we have off now as the summer break?
That will only work in some parts of the country. For example, a lot of schools in Philly don't have AC. Even my local junior and senior high schools don't have AC in all the rooms, so that's not an option.

I'm predicting that schools might try computer based learning from home, but that could be challenging for parents that have to work from home or that have to go out to work. No good answer for that.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #104

I could see moving to computer based learning for older kids. But what do you do with all those 6 year olds in first grade? I can’t imagine them being ready to operate a computer and having the discipline to sit by the computer at home and learn. Their attention spans are too short. And they can’t be home alone at that age.

It’s got to be an overwhelming thing for parents of young kids to be thinking about right now with so much uncertainty about the duration of this pandemic.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #105

Quote:
At some point we have to find a way to open schools again. Kids staying at home for weeks or months on end is very bad for everyone. I think that needs to happen before we worry about restaurants or movie theaters.
Yes, I meant to mention that normalization would be dependent on vulnerable populations continuing to take aggressive precautions. There is really no way around it - shutting down society to protect a vulnerable population from all risk is not sustainable (and never was).

So the government recommendations would have to continue to encourage self-isolation for older folks, proscribe nursing home/LTC visits, continue social distancing and hygiene, and encourage mindfulness of vulnerable folks.

My state shut down all schools in the state a week ago based on one (1) community transmitted case, and we still have only 8 out of 24 counties with over 2 recorded cases - not good.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 03-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #106

Quote:
I could see moving to computer based learning for older kids. But what do you do with all those 6 year olds in first grade? I can’t imagine them being ready to operate a computer and having the discipline to sit by the computer at home and learn. Their attention spans are too short. And they can’t be home alone at that age.

It’s got to be an overwhelming thing for parents of young kids to be thinking about right now with so much uncertainty about the duration of this pandemic.
Yup, I could see putting a 6 year old in front of a computer and you go into another room and try to get some work done. You check up on them 30 minutes later and they're curled up in a ball on the floor sleeping.

I remember when I had 3 boys going to school. Then, you'd need 3 computers and 3 separate rooms to set them up in.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:35 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

There are only a few months of school left away so assuming that they don’t want to risk it.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm only pointing out that I just don't see where the US relative lack of testing to date would have made a significant difference.
-ERD50
If we had testing ability, we could have tested every person coming off a plane or ship. The virus was brought here.

By catching the infected folks as they arrived, we could have quarantined them, and only them.

Instead we let them run all over the country infecting 4 to 6 other people each.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:35 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm far more concerned about where I will be then and hoping it will be "above ground".
+1
Old 03-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
So now I'm thinking that the "15 days to slow the spread" that the Covid-19 task force is recommending might lead to the exit strategy. After 15 days (8 days from now I think, so starting April 1) if the infection/mortality curves have started to slow Dr. Fauci can begin relaxing some of the recommendation. Especially things like applying social distancing to businesses.

I think that Federal leadership, based on bending the curves, might give the Governors and Mayors the cover they need to dig themselves out of the hole they have dug.
That is the hope - with the expectation that further waves may require repeat (hopefully less stringent) distancing. If it works, I wonder if states with reported low incidents and no shutdowns may find themselves climbing the curve and going through shutdowns later or whether they have done enough distancing already to keep the R rate down enough that they never have a serious problem.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #111
Administrator

I'm expecting a longer time here in CT. The Governor's executive orders all go until April 22. Moreover, we (and NJ) have been following what NY does (since it is the big population center), so it seems unlikely that we will lift restrictions before they do. And they have big problem right now. We'll see.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #112

Here is how I think the exit will happen.

On Tuesday, they will conduct the study with the new treatment in NY and prove out what has already been seen (anecdotally) in other countries. The death rate will go down to .6% to 1%, which is still high but much more tolerable than original estimates. They will shift from mass social isolation to segment population isolation, in which they will advise anybody above 70 and/or immuno-compromised to continue to stay home. They will develop a playbook on how to ramp-up and down inpatient capacity, including equipment needed for healthcare workers.

They will open up the economy, and we will experience a season of people getting the virus which will put pressure all over but we'll manage through this. By next year, we will have a vaccine for this.

How this will be reflected in the stock market and how many jobs will be lost is unknown because it will depend on what actions people take and how people interpret this, but I think this is a 1-3 month event, not a 12-24 month event.

Ultimately you can see this problem with three key variables: 1) Covid-19 death rate, 2) health worker capacity, 3) economic destruction of containment. When 1 goes down, 2 goes up, 3 goes up, there will be a balancing point. From an investment perspective, that's how I've been thinking about deploying cash (into the market).
Old 03-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocold View Post

On Tuesday, they will conduct the study with the new treatment in NY and prove out what has already been seen (anecdotally) in other countries. The death rate will go down to .6% to 1%, which is still high but much more tolerable than original estimates. They will shift from mass social isolation to segment population isolation, in which they will advise anybody above 70 and/or immuno-compromised to continue to stay home. They will develop a playbook on how to ramp-up and down inpatient capacity, including equipment needed for healthcare workers.

They will open up the economy, and we will experience a season of people getting the virus which will put pressure all over but we'll manage through this. By next year, we will have a vaccine for this.

How this will be reflected in the stock market and how many jobs will be lost is unknown because it will depend on what actions people take and how people interpret this, but I think this is a 1-3 month event, not a 12-24 month event.
Is there a reputable source for any of this?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #114

Quote:
Is there a reputable source for any of this?
No, this is fake news

It's my general perspective and a framework for thinking about this issue. You can do your own exercise on understanding current treatment options, where we currently stand on masks, ventilators, PPEs, and see a proxy of the economic impact of containment.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So now I'm thinking that the "15 days to slow the spread" that the Covid-19 task force is recommending might lead to the exit strategy. After 15 days (8 days from now I think, so starting April 1) if the infection/mortality curves have started to slow Dr. Fauci can begin relaxing some of the recommendation. Especially things like applying social distancing to businesses.

So instead of recommending "avoid eating or drinking in bars, restaurants..." the next 15 days should say "eat in restaurants that practice social distancing (tables 6 feet apart) and enhanced hygiene". And instead of "Avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips, and social visits" they could recommend "practice social distancing, and patronize businesses that do". Lastly, wider availability of surgical and N95 masks in a week or two might lead to a recommendation for, say, restaurant servers to wear masks.

I think that Federal leadership, based on bending the curves, might give the Governors and Mayors the cover they need to dig themselves out of the hole they have dug.
Quote:
Yes, I meant to mention that normalization would be dependent on vulnerable populations continuing to take aggressive precautions. There is really no way around it - shutting down society to protect a vulnerable population from all risk is not sustainable (and never was).

So the government recommendations would have to continue to encourage self-isolation for older folks, proscribe nursing home/LTC visits, continue social distancing and hygiene, and encourage mindfulness of vulnerable folks.

My state shut down all schools in the state a week ago based on one (1) community transmitted case, and we still have only 8 out of 24 counties with over 2 recorded cases - not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocold View Post

Ultimately you can see this problem with three key variables: 1) Covid-19 death rate, 2) health worker capacity, 3) economic destruction of containment. When 1 goes down, 2 goes up, 3 goes up, there will be a balancing point. From an investment perspective, that's how I've been thinking about deploying cash (into the market).
+1. A good thought string IMHO. I'm not second guessing the isolation steps we've taken, unfortunately they were necessary for our circumstances. But we need to return to normal sooner rather than later. We have to balance the best health outcome with the economic consequences of extending longer. Several factors are improving daily, though not yet in infection stats. It will be interesting to see the role individual civil disobedience will play versus government recommendations in coming out of this. Most people are playing nice for 15 days (we're about halfway now), after that or at some later date, we'll see.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At some point we have to find a way to open schools again. Kids staying at home for weeks or months on end is very bad for everyone. I think that needs to happen before we worry about restaurants or movie theaters.
I'm not sure why one is more important than another. We need to be looking to get everything going again (not yet, but soon), with precautions.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Which ones have announced that decision?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. A good thought string IMHO. I'm not second guessing the isolation steps we've taken, unfortunately they were necessary for our circumstances. But we need to return to normal sooner rather than later. We have to balance the best health outcome with the economic consequences of extending longer. Several factors are improving daily, though not yet in infection stats. It will be interesting to see the role individual civil disobedience will play versus government recommendations in coming out of this. Most people are playing nice for 15 days (we're about halfway now), after that or at some later date, we'll see.
In early April, that's about when the US will start to see the very worst horror stories that were seen in Italy.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Which ones have announced that decision?
Not a decision, but a projection: https://www.politico.com/states/cali...summer-1267579

Quote:
California's schools will likely stay closed for the rest of the academic year over coronavirus concerns, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Tuesday in a jaw-dropping prediction for families barely settling into new weekday routines with children at home.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Governor Cuomo is talking about exit strategy in his press conference right now. If you missed it might be worth looking for a recording of it.