Covid Getting Closer to Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
just found out a former co worker tested positive and she said almost every employee at the clinic was positive! They are either closing the clinic or trying to get other staff moved in.

This is what worries me--I am concerned that doctor's offices, hospitals, grocery stores, pharmacies are going to have so many sick at one time that they will have to close. We have already seen that with airlines. Even if the person is only "mildly" sick they may be out 10-14 days.

A good friend found out yesterday that her PCR test on Friday at Kaiser, was positive. 4 days to get results. Local healthcare system Kaiser Permanente is overwhelmed. Her boyfriend is also sick, but can't find a place to test - his insurance provider is overwhelmed and told him to test through a county site. Appointments for county sites are for next week. Drop in testing doesn't seem to exist at the moment. My friend's case is mild and she assumes it's omicron (she calls it OMG). She wanted to test to make sure she's clear after 5 days, but can't find rapid tests anywhere. Kaiser has told her they've changed their triage on testing to "must be seriously sick - not just sniffles or sore throat". (Quoted part is what she told me.)

Younger son's girlfriend tried to get tested multiple times but they either ran out of tests or the line was so long she would miss her zoom classes. I ordered rapid tests to be delivered to her house on Saturday... They were supposed to be delivered sometime today, but now show as arriving tomorrow... And worse - show that they are being delivered here (San Diego) vs girlfriend's house (San Jose). They were told not to come back to campus (classes started on Monday) till they'd tested negative.

The testing shortage seems like a real problem. Omicron may be milder, but rules put in by universities and employers make the CDC guidance less than perfect.

Lines for testing here stretch for blocks (hours). I just can't see being tested unless symptoms are fairly obvious. My guess is folks are being tested "just in case." IIRC positivity is around 10% so a lot of folks are testing because they have a cold or flu.

Probably too early to declare a top, but "new cases" were running 3000+ and dropped to a little over 1000 state-wide yesterday. I guess we'll see.

Here in Oklahoma, there are a lot of testing sites and as I understand, most don't have a long wait. Of course, at home tests are tough to come by, but Wal Mart allegedly has some in a couple of stores. Hospitals aren't maxed out yet (according to the data from the state updated every 24 hours) but that could very well change. Like other regions in the US, the number of positive tests in the last two days were higher than previously reported. I did see that in the last 3 days, the number of vaccinations has gone up by a good clip; that's a good thing since we have had a pretty low vaccination rate.

Thankfully, Omicron seems to be less virulent.
While this seems to be the case thus far, I do wish people would stop focusing on that. The caseload is tremendous, even if it's mostly mild to moderate illnesses. It's not all so mild.

Our hospital system currently has the highest number of COVID patients hospitalized since the start. ICUs are at or near capacity and they are converting other rooms into additional ICU beds. There were about 100 patients holding in the ERs awaiting admission as of yesterday. There's just nowhere to put them. All elective surgeries have been cancelled. And they're talking about reactivating the emergency surge plan that could reassign staff to the hospitals to help deal with the crush of patients.

So yeah, a lot of people are getting a little sick, but a record number are also getting seriously ill.

My niece told me at Christmas that she wanted me to go shopping for barn wood with her before Jan 10. Her husband now has Covid. I’m not going over there for a while.

My brother tested positive on January 2 after first experiencing symptoms the day before. His symptoms are relatively mild - my brother says he feels almost normal today. He ordered rapid tests online and they arrived today. He gave me one since I was with him during the morning of 12/31 while he groomed our pandemic puppy. I will test myself tonight. A friend of his who spent News Year Eve with them got sick on the 3rd, so I hope that I am beyond the incubation period for this particular strain.

I was able just now to order 4 rapid tests from the Walmart website and delivery is scheduled for Monday. We will keep a supply on hand since I suspect this will not be a one time only event.

My neighbor was taken by ambulance today. His wife called me and said he has tested positive for covid. She is also sick neither have been vaxed or believe in any of the covid pandemic. I have said along if they don't get sick with the virus it would be a miracle.

He has many health issues and I'm worried about him.

We watched a friend’s pet while he flew to the east coast for New Year’s. He flew back on Monday, and picked up his pet that evening. He texted me this afternoon to say that he just tested positive for COVID. He wore a mask as a precaution while collecting his furry friend, and I’m hoping that was enough to have avoided passing it on. He described the symptoms as similar to a bad cold (fever, fatigue and sore throat). No respiratory issues so far.

While this seems to be the case thus far, I do wish people would stop focusing on that. The caseload is tremendous, even if it's mostly mild to moderate illnesses. It's not all so mild.

Our hospital system currently has the highest number of COVID patients hospitalized since the start. ICUs are at or near capacity and they are converting other rooms into additional ICU beds. There were about 100 patients holding in the ERs awaiting admission as of yesterday. There's just nowhere to put them. All elective surgeries have been cancelled. And they're talking about reactivating the emergency surge plan that could reassign staff to the hospitals to help deal with the crush of patients.

So yeah, a lot of people are getting a little sick, but a record number are also getting seriously ill.

Let us hope that Omicron is the beginning of the end as perhaps the virus burns itself out. In the mean time, I agree that we must remain vigilant while still living our lives. It's a balancing act and YMMV.

Ugh. Just found out DS has covid. Had one positive and one negative home Binax test on Tuesday 1-4. He wasn't sure he had it and I told him "Any positive is positive". He is a teacher and it is rampant at their small school. He is feeling ok so far, has had 3 pfizer vax. But he is a smoker :-(. Per protocol, teachers here have to stay home 10 days, no matter what.

We saw him on Dec 30, so 5 days from his positive. We just did home tests, both negative. But went online and scheduled with Kaiser to be safe. Lots of appointments popped up online, but first available is 1-11. We took it anyway. Better safe than sorry, we also take care of youngest DGS age 2 frequently, so want to be sure.

Crazy! I’ve had several emails today from relatives from different areas sending regrets because they just tested positive for Covid so can’t make the memorial service for DF.

We’re all home testing tomorrow as immediate family comes together the day before the service.

Last edited:
I am not a happy camper today. Several members of my family are down for the count with Covid. I have dropped off (with no contact) my few test kits, some meds and some groceries. I won't be seeing them for a few weeks.

But, GF's daughter-in-laws father died a few weeks ago and today is his memorial service. It's indoors with a bunch of people she does not know well. The GF feels she must go at least for a bit. She is vaccinated and boosted and for that I am thankful. Overall, this is not a good idea IMO.

I gave her a KN95 mask (all she had were cloth masks) and told her to wear it every moment she is there. The timing of this memorial is awful. I am not a happy camper. Not one little bit.

The only good thing is I got in my online order at Walmart for more home test kits before than went out-of-stock. Current prices locally are $25 and up for the kits with two tests, if they have them.

Crazy! I’ve had several emails today from relatives from different areas sending regrets because they just tested positive for Covid so can’t make the memorial service for DF.

We’re all home testing tomorrow as immediate family comes together the day before the service.

We all did testing before gathering for meals in the house. Unfortunately one DB (2 vax plus boosted) tested positive, but his wife negative. He had experienced some suspicious symptoms 6 days prior, but we were still surprised because we had hoped enough time had passed that he wouldn't be infectious. So he had to forego the house visiting but attended the outdoor funeral today at a distance.

We wore our best quality masks.

Two months ago when we finally were able to make travel plans to gather Jan 8, things looked pretty good because we were all well protected against Delta. Then after everything finalized, Omicron appears and spreads way faster than any of the other variants! :facepalm:

Attendance was small outside. Beautiful day. It was a lovely service and a relief to finally place DF's urn in the grave next to DM.

Also a big relief that it is over. I can focus on estate issues and no longer trying to corral a major gathering event.

Last edited:
I am not a happy camper today. Several members of my family are down for the count with Covid. I have dropped off (with no contact) my few test kits, some meds and some groceries. I won't be seeing them for a few weeks.

But, GF's daughter-in-laws father died a few weeks ago and today is his memorial service. It's indoors with a bunch of people she does not know well. The GF feels she must go at least for a bit. She is vaccinated and boosted and for that I am thankful. Overall, this is not a good idea IMO.

I gave her a KN95 mask (all she had were cloth masks) and told her to wear it every moment she is there. The timing of this memorial is awful. I am not a happy camper. Not one little bit.

The only good thing is I got in my online order at Walmart for more home test kits before than went out-of-stock. Current prices locally are $25 and up for the kits with two tests, if they have them.

Sorry to hear this. Best of luck with it all, it sounds like you are doing all the right things to mitigate the situation.

We all did testing before gathering for meals in the house. Unfortunately one DB (2 vax plus boosted) tested positive, but his wife negative. He had experienced some suspicious symptoms 6 days prior, but we were still surprised because we had hoped enough time had passed that he wouldn't be infectious. So he had to forego the house visiting but attended the outdoor funeral today at a distance.

We wore our best quality masks.

Life with Covid is still so tough to manage. It sounds like you have done all you can to minimize infections.

Good luck.

Life with Covid is still so tough to manage. It sounds like you have done all you can to minimize infections.

Good luck.

Pretty much. I had some 3M N95 NIOSH masks, and gave some to DB.

And it was a beautiful day outdoors - sunny, some wind and a little cool. But glad for the steady wind.

My son and I have stopped going to see our local soccer team this past few weeks even though it is outdoors and small crowds (2-3 hundred) The 3 good friends (father and 2 sons) we stand with are all triple vaxed but last weekend they had a weekend together with family at a beach hut a few miles away. 7 of them in total, and now 3 of them either have Covid symptoms or tested positive including a 14 year old and a 4 month old baby. They don’t know who patient zero was, but fortunately all of them have mild or no symptoms. Annoying for the teenager who has to miss another 10 days of school.

People really need to understand that testing before a dinner or event does not prove anything. Sure it might catch the unexpected positive, but it doesn't mean nobody has COVID just because they all test negative. You could still be infected and contagious and not yet have a positive rapid test. Thousands of people learned this over Christmas.

If people have to gather, everyone should be wearing a good mask (N95 or KN95) that stays on the entire time you're together indoors (or even in a crowd outdoors). That's the only way to really minimize the spread of the virus. Gatherings without masks are likely going to result in COVID cases. They just are, even if everyone is vaccinated and tested.

I have two regularly scheduled in-person meetings weekly - and I have stopped attending both of them. One, I can handle Zoom. The other - I'm waiting until the next Covid lull. YMMV

I have two regularly scheduled in-person meetings weekly - and I have stopped attending both of them. One, I can handle Zoom. The other - I'm waiting until the next Covid lull. YMMV
We have two monthly staff meetings. We've been all virtual since COVID started. The last 2 months, they resumed having the first meeting of the month be in person but still with a virtual option. I attended one of those. There were 6 or 7 of us in a large conference room spaced out. Now we're back to all virtual. That didn't last long.

If people have to gather, everyone should be wearing a good mask (N95 or KN95) that stays on the entire time you're together indoors (or even in a crowd outdoors). That's the only way to really minimize the spread of the virus. Gatherings without masks are likely going to result in COVID cases. They just are, even if everyone is vaccinated and tested.

+1

Non medical people, please don't be mislead like I was with the CDC's advice to not use 'surgical' N95 masks. The surgical N95s are not the same as the ordinary N95s available all over the place. Apparently, the medical masks also resist some fluids which the ordinary ones don't. Alas, the CDC's website assumes we all know that. A lay person - like yours truly :blush: - might look at the advice to not use surgical N95s, and therefore avoid buying any N95 masks. That might be a mistake.

Last edited:
+1

Please don't be mislead like I was with the CDC's advice to not use 'surgical' N95 masks. The surgical N95s are not the same as the ordinary N95s available all over the place. Apparently, the medical masks also resist some fluids which the ordinary ones don't. Alas, the CDC's website assumes we all know that. A lay person - like yours truly :blush: - might look at the advice to not use surgical N95s and avoid buying any N95 masks.

Yeah, I didn't know that and I used to help with fit testing masks at w*rk. Back in the day, we used N95s by the case - apparently NOT surgical grade. YMMV

DW's friend /exercise class leader went to Key West with her DH and another couple. Two daughters stayed at home. One had covid a month or so ago. Other caught Covid a couple of days ago at home and had to go to the ER.

Friend's husband caught Covid in Key West. Weird thing is that DW"s friend has never caught covid even with both daughters, her husband, and numerous other contacts at her hair salon gig all having covid during the past year or so.

Know of two more that have passed away from covid complications. My neighbor is still in hospital and his wife is at home with it. She called today and said told me how things are going with both of them. My impression and how I understood their condition it's not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom