Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Bamaman - hope you and your family have a quick recovery
+1 I hope you and your family get well soon.

Keep us posted.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hope all are better soon, Bamaman.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bamaman, I hope you and yours get well and stay well. Take care.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:41 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1 I hope you and your family get well soon.

Keep us posted.
+1
Old 10-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I started getting sick a week ago, and I felt different all of a sudden. Started as a runny nose, then a little chest congestion and hacking cough. I had a slight headache, and food didn't have much taste. Slight temperature one night, but otherwise I'm okay.

My wife and 10 year old granddaughter started getting sick a could of days later. Took the kid Sunday, and she tested positive for COVID. Took the wife in Monday, and she tested positive--and she went in immediately for monoclonal antibody therapy via IV.

The wife has had 101 degree temperature the last 2 days, and she hurts all over. But since she has asthma I am very concerned about her lungs and chest congestion. So far, her breathing is just fine, but she's still 4 days into feeling pretty bad.

Brynley's off school (with 3 other students closest to her) until Monday. Other than a slight headache, she's shaken COVID just fine.

COVID's nothing to ignore. My wife and I are double vac'd, and we might have had a much worse case without the shots. We had one unvaccinated friend die, and her unvaccinated son was in the hospital 7 weeks. Two other friends lost their husbands.
Oh Bamaman, I am so sorry this has happened, especially to your wife. I know that your wife (like my DH) struggles with many health issues. She certainly does not need Covid on top of everything else. In my prayers.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #46

Quote:
I started getting sick a week ago, and I felt different all of a sudden. Started as a runny nose, then a little chest congestion and hacking cough. I had a slight headache, and food didn't have much taste. Slight temperature one night, but otherwise I'm okay.

My wife and 10 year old granddaughter started getting sick a could of days later. Took the kid Sunday, and she tested positive for COVID. Took the wife in Monday, and she tested positive--and she went in immediately for monoclonal antibody therapy via IV.

The wife has had 101 degree temperature the last 2 days, and she hurts all over. But since she has asthma I am very concerned about her lungs and chest congestion. So far, her breathing is just fine, but she's still 4 days into feeling pretty bad.

Brynley's off school (with 3 other students closest to her) until Monday. Other than a slight headache, she's shaken COVID just fine.

COVID's nothing to ignore. My wife and I are double vac'd, and we might have had a much worse case without the shots. We had one unvaccinated friend die, and her unvaccinated son was in the hospital 7 weeks. Two other friends lost their husbands.
Wishing you and yours a fast recovery. I'm vaccinated and boostered (all Moderna) but my plan is at the first sign of any sickness with respiratory symptoms, to get tested via PCR, and if it's positive, get into an infusion center ASAP for the monoclonal antibody treatment. I see no downside to that approach.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hope you all feel much better soon!
Old 10-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

DIL's mother, who is in a nursing home for a stroke, came down with breakthrough Covid in the last 24 hours. The NH just sent her to the hospital. My DIL feels that it is because all the other NH patients with Covid have been transferred and this one resident would require more care than they are willing to deliver. Her O2 level did not justify sending her to the hospital so they won't keep her long. I told my DIL to hustle over to the hospital to talk to their discharge planner.

What a mess....
Old 10-28-2021, 03:47 PM   #49

My DD (fully vaccinated) went to a concert on Saturday night. No one was next to or in front of them so they did remove their masks. She's normally very careful to stay masked up and this was a first for her. By Monday she had a sore throat and had to take her dad to a hospital for out patient surgery, unfortunately there was no one else to take him so she had no choice. Just to be safe, she double masked in the car but he did not. He is a cancer survivor and due to chemo after effects has to have this surgery every year or so.
By Tuesday she was feeling worse so took a over the counter test and it came back positive. Kaiser booked her in for a test Wednesday and this morning it also came back positive. She also lost her sense of taste yesterday and has a slight fever.
Her husband who did not go to the concert is fine as is the friend she went with who also has an elderly parent at home.
She is understandably freaking about about her dad who so far is fine, we'll just have to wait and see how that plays out.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately I feel that indoor concerts, crowded events, etc. with many unmasked it’s still just too easy to spread Covid. When cases drop considerably it might be OK.

The whole aerosol thing means keeping distance in a heavily occupied area won’t help.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

My niece's daughter brought Covid home with her from college last Nov, then passed it to her dad who drove her home from the airport (she had tested negative before she left school). They both felt bad for a few days but no one else in the family caught it.

In July my niece passed away after a botched surgery and we were all feeling comfortable enough to attend the wake and funeral. My niece was a teacher and the funeral home was packed with mourners. My 2 year old grandson and my niece's BIL both came down with Covid within a few days. From what I heard the BIL who wasn't vaccinated was very ill for a few weeks. My grandson was ill for a few days and passed it to my vaccinated daughter who got breakthrough Covid. Luckily she was only ill for a few days. Her husband, other young children and I who had all been in close contact either didn't get it or were asymptomatic.

My DH and I received our boosters as soon as we were eligible. I don't think we will be done with Covid for a long time.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

My best wishes to all of you that are still battling cases or lingering symptoms within your families.

My BIL/SIL/niece all had cases over the summer, unvaccinated, and others did not tell us. We and another SIL/niece are the few (only?) vaccinated people on that branch of the family. Additional cases and a few deaths of older relatives, pre vaccine.

I think the research at this point shows that indoor gatherings, especially parties, concerts, bars and nightclubs with poor ventilation have a high rate of generating outbreaks. Put a large number of people without distancing in a small space, and poor ventilation, and you get pretty nice conditions for viruses. It will be interesting to see if vaccination only venues have been able to reduce this.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:35 PM   #53

I have a vaccinated (moderna) elderly relative who got it (I assume at church). The antibodies didn't seem to help him get any better but he is not worse either. Been sick over 2 weeks IDK exactly.

Thanks to whoever said former smokers could get it, that means I qualify after all. Hmm.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:22 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Oh Bamaman, I am so sorry this has happened, especially to your wife. I know that your wife (like my DH) struggles with many health issues. She certainly does not need Covid on top of everything else. In my prayers.

+1
Old 10-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Unfortunately I feel that indoor concerts, crowded events, etc. with many unmasked it’s still just too easy to spread Covid. When cases drop considerably it might be OK.

The whole aerosol thing means keeping distance in a heavily occupied area won’t help.
It never even occurred to me that the concert might be indoor. I just asked and it turns out there was 2 concerts that night a smaller one indoor and a larger outdoor. She went to both and proof of vaccination was needed to be shown at each of them.
Today she felt a little better but after tidying the house, she's absolutely exhausted. Most symptoms have lessened but cough and congestion are getting worse and still no taste or smell.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
It never even occurred to me that the concert might be indoor. I just asked and it turns out there was 2 concerts that night a smaller one indoor and a larger outdoor. She went to both and proof of vaccination was needed to be shown at each of them.
Today she felt a little better but after tidying the house, she's absolutely exhausted. Most symptoms have lessened but cough and congestion are getting worse and still no taste or smell.
Fair enough but the cavet is that you can't be certain the covid came from the concert
Old 10-31-2021, 10:55 AM   #57

Uh Oh.

We found out last night that our almost 3 year old grandson has been exposed to Covid at his day care center. His class holds 12 kids with 2 teachers and our DIL didn't know if it's a child or an adult who tested positive. His class is closed for a week and they were told to watch for symptoms.

We had our grandson stay with us overnight last Wed/Thursday and DH took him to the day care center. DH and I are fully vaccinated and boostered. Our son and DIL are vaccinated and our son was just tested yesterday at his worksite (he was working audio at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony!). They will all get tested this week. Our DIL was vaccinated while pregnant with our other grandson who is 9 weeks old. She told us he has antibodies from her vax but I don't know if he's been tested or if that is an assumption.

This past week our grandson went to at least 3 community Halloween events at the library and children's museum, etc. No masking for kids his age.

I'm very worried about him getting sick. All those unvaccinated and unmasked little kids exposing each other to everything anyone in their families is carrying. How many come from families who don't vaccinate?

Our local CVS stores have appointments for rapid or PCR tests and DH and I will go early this week.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Our 15 year old grandson was very ill 2 weeks ago, high fever, congestion, cough. Had to be out of class for 5 days, until 2 negative tests. Then DD and DSIL got sick. All had negative home tests twice. They are all vaxxed, but have not gotten their flu vaccine yet. Little 2 year old GS was also ill. It was a gut wrencher as we we around them all just prior.
Same week, 5 yo Grandson exposed to positive Covid from classmate in kindergarten. The class was out for two weeks, on zoom for class, and will go back in person on Monday. He never got ill, had a negative test just to be sure.
We have all been vaccinated, DH and I have our boosters also. The 5 year old will be getting his shot as soon as he can.
I am not looking forward to winter. How will kids learn if out of class for weeks at a time?
Masks are required here and in school, but exposures still happen!
Old 10-31-2021, 11:07 AM   #59

You could pick up a Binax Now at Walmart if they are in stock. You are in the window for the test to be useful. CVS may have them, but the price will be a lot higher. Two tests, one for each of you.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:14 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Uh Oh.

We found out last night that our almost 3 year old grandson has been exposed to Covid at his day care center. His class holds 12 kids with 2 teachers and our DIL didn't know if it's a child or an adult who tested positive. His class is closed for a week and they were told to watch for symptoms.

We had our grandson stay with us overnight last Wed/Thursday and DH took him to the day care center. DH and I are fully vaccinated and boostered. Our son and DIL are vaccinated and our son was just tested yesterday at his worksite (he was working audio at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony!). They will all get tested this week. Our DIL was vaccinated while pregnant with our other grandson who is 9 weeks old. She told us he has antibodies from her vax but I don't know if he's been tested or if that is an assumption.

This past week our grandson went to at least 3 community Halloween events at the library and children's museum, etc. No masking for kids his age.

I'm very worried about him getting sick. All those unvaccinated and unmasked little kids exposing each other to everything anyone in their families is carrying. How many come from families who don't vaccinate?

Our local CVS stores have appointments for rapid or PCR tests and DH and I will go early this week.

You do you need to get tested your GS hasn't even tested positive? Take a deep breath and worry about him getting horribly sick after he actually gets sick. Most kids have very few issues with Covid. I'm starting to think that Covid has done damage our mental health in general ( I absolutely include myself in this comment)....I have 4 young GK's out in public school and have to try to accept that whatever happens, happens they have to live their lives as kids. Fingers crossed on GS daycare buddies.
Closed Thread