Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This just gets so depressing. Still way too many people dying from Covid!!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

^ ohhh there is way too many. You just wonder who is next and hoping it isn't me.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ ohhh there is way too many. You just wonder who is next and hoping it isn't me.
Street, so sorry about your friends. Can you tell us, where they vaccinated?
Old 11-24-2021, 06:18 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

^ I don't know if they were or not. Of course, I feel very awkward asking the surviving family. I wish I knew myself as well, but just can't ask.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ I don't know if they were or not. Of course, I feel very awkward asking the surviving family. I wish I knew myself as well, but just can't ask.
For sure, you cannot ask in this situation. Again, I am sorry, this Covid is really making me mad.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

harllee, I really don't see an end point. It has turned life into a nightmare.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Many of us are already retired, so our circles are a whole lot smaller than those who are still working. Perhaps a handful of former co-workers become people you send a card to, chat once or twice a year, email, and far far less than that this past 18 months.

For folks who are retired without a big network of non-work friends, it's mainly family that would count for "knowing someone" properly. So if you also have a relative small family and can count your close personal friends on one hand - hey even less chance to know someone.

I know "of" many people who got it, but these aren't people I'd consider as people with whom I have a personal connection, or that I'd report as Close To Home. Inside that group, I have only one person: My teenage nephew, last thanksgiving, with a barely symptomatic case that no one else in his family picked up from him. The next nearest person is DH's great aunt (whom I've never met), and a brother-in-law of a sister-in-law of my sister.

I'll go back under that rock now.
Yes, we’re in a similar boat. Both of us not working, small nuclear families, most of whom are far away, and small social groups. We don’t belong to a church or other similar organization. The friends we do have were, like us, pretty hunkered down in the early days of the pandemic. The only people I really know who have had it are a distant uncle who died and my parents best friends, who got very sick but recovered.

We’re lucky to be in a place where we can limit our exposure and have been very careful where we have a choice. Our biggest risk factors at this point are our two children. One just received her first dose last week and the other is too young to be vaccinated. Both are in school and activities where we’ve had to balance risk of exposure with their emotional and educational development.

All that said, even boosted, we’re far more cautious than most. So it’s not a surprise to me that our exposure is limited. Most of the people I’ve ‘known’ who ended up with covid have been living far more ‘normally’ than we have. Sometimes by choice, sometimes not.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
All that said, even boosted, we’re far more cautious than most. So it’s not a surprise to me that our exposure is limited. Most of the people I’ve ‘known’ who ended up with covid have been living far more ‘normally’ than we have. Sometimes by choice, sometimes not.
We're triple vaccinated but avoid public indoor gatherings. Michigan is deep in a third wave, but people are going to restaurants and concerts which is hard for me to understand. The state has recommendations consistent with CDC but venues are mostly not willing to enforce them. I understand the practicality. The local symphony caters to a high-risk group, and I feel sorry for the organization but I'm not willing to go to events with unrestricted attendance.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Fortunately for us our area has a mask mandate for any indoor buildings which is complied with. I have been to a couple of indoor music events lately where you had to present your vaccine card for admittance (and you still had to wear a mask) and I was able to social distance so I felt pretty safe. The only thing I have not done is eaten inside a restaurant. In a restaurant of course you have to take off your mask to eat plus few of the restaurants in my area are requiring vaccination cards so I just did not feel it was worth the risk.

Even though we are age 70 and at higher risk, DH and I have decided to resume some of our activities. We are both extroverts with large circles of friends and we feel being isolated from family and friends and events we love was affecting our mental health (we were getting depressed).

I am getting together with family for Thanksgiving. There will be 12 of us--all are double vaccinated and everybody but one young person has had a booster. It is important to us to see family we have not seen in 18 months so we are taking that risk.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #130
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
My nine year old granddaughter tested positive on Monday two days after she got her first shot. It was caught in a routine school screening. My fully vaccinated son caught it from her and tested positive Wednesday. Both have very mild symptoms. Unfortunately, they were at our house on Sunday and DW and I have developed coughs. We got PCR tests yesterday and came back negative this morning.
Probably should get another test. I tested negative twice before testing positive and I already had symptoms.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am getting together with family for Thanksgiving. There will be 12 of us--all are double vaccinated and everybody but one young person has had a booster. It is important to us to see family we have not seen in 18 months so we are taking that risk.
That strikes me as very low risk and well worthwhile
Old 11-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #132

I have known 12 people who have had Covid. Four of them ended up in the hospital and two died. My next door neighbor died 12/26/20 and my ex-sil died this past Saturday. She was around 57 or 58 years old and was not vaccinated. She had several underlying health conditions and did not go anywhere. She lived with her daughter and granddaughter, and think that the granddaughter brought it home from school. I feel sorry for my niece because her father, my brother, died at age 45 in 2001 from lung cancer. My niece has never been married and no longer lives with her daughter's dad. We are having her mother's memorial Dec 4 and I am helping to cook for it. I have been triple vaxed and I plan on double masking. I hope that I am not taking too big of a chance of staying safe.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:05 AM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I have known 12 people who have had Covid. Four of them ended up in the hospital and two died. My next door neighbor died 12/26/20 and my ex-sil died this past Saturday. She was around 57 or 58 years old and was not vaccinated. She had several underlying health conditions and did not go anywhere. She lived with her daughter and granddaughter, and think that the granddaughter brought it home from school. I feel sorry for my niece because her father, my brother, died at age 45 in 2001 from lung cancer. My niece has never been married and no longer lives with her daughter's dad. We are having her mother's memorial Dec 4 and I am helping to cook for it. I have been triple vaxed and I plan on double masking. I hope that I am not taking too big of a chance of staying safe.
My condolences; I am so sorry for the tragedy that you have seen.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
My condolences. I don't think one can be "too careful".

Last week our external long standing CPA died of Covid. She was 58 and we were all surprised she was not vaccinated. WE had not physically met with her since Covid started. She was a partner in the accounting firm our family business has used since 1954. There were only two current partners. I went to the visitation-15 minutes-long enough to speak to the family and sign the guest book and left.
This visitation is the first time I have ventured out into an indoor crowd since Covid started. Felt I needed to make an appearance.

The other partner went to an early Thanksgiving lunch at his sister-in-laws house and 8 people from that lunch tested positive. All were vaccinated and so far so good. They tracked the source to the partner that passed away.

Far too many are passing away from Covid. So sad....
Old 12-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #135

I thought this table from the Times was vivid and worth sharing.

[ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0601.jpg (264.5 KB, 195 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
We're triple vaccinated but avoid public indoor gatherings. Michigan is deep in a third wave, but people are going to restaurants and concerts which is hard for me to understand. The state has recommendations consistent with CDC but venues are mostly not willing to enforce them. I understand the practicality. The local symphony caters to a high-risk group, and I feel sorry for the organization but I'm not willing to go to events with unrestricted attendance.
From CNN today: 'Michigan sets hospitalization record, leads nation in new coronavirus cases per capita':
Quote:
Michigan continues to struggle amid the pandemic, setting a record this week for Covid-19 hospitalizations and leading the nation in per capita case rates, new data reveal.

The state also recently reported its highest seven-day average of new daily cases, at 10,014, on December 3. The average dipped on Monday to 8,585 a day -- still more than double where it was at the end of October, according to Johns Hopkins University data. ...

Michigan has reported more new cases per capita over the last week than any other state, with Minnesota and Rhode Island not far behind, according to JHU data. The daily case rate is more than double the US case rate. ...
Old 12-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Hawaii continues to be fairly stable at a "low" infection rate with deaths in low single digits. My guess is that the deaths are mostly among the elderly who remain vulnerable because of multiple health issues.

My hope is that the new Omicron variant will not doom us to another round of draconian gummint provisions. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #138
Administrator

There’s no point in generic anti-gov’t complaints, but they are Porky bait, so it’s better to stick to the topic, which is Covid all its forms and variations.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #139

Back to the topic of covid closer to home. DW and I are boosted and have been travelling domestically. However we encountered our first actual close calls after returning home for Thanksgiving. DW developed a serious infection that required IV antibotics. However due to the covid surge in Michigan she had to wait 4 days for treatment. To say I was livid would be an understatement. Finally she got treatment and all is good.

Meanwhile DS informed us that his MIL has covid and due to their contact we would not be able to see the GKs. Yesterday he had an appointment for our grandbaby at the Dr's office. He honestly said that they had been exposed to covid (MIL) and the office went into full protection mode. Full protective gear and an hour later they were treated.

DW wouldn't let this go and upon questioning he disclosed his MIL did not believe in vaccinations and her symptoms showed up with uncontrolled coughing in a public setting. Nice. I can only imagine the real costs of this irresponsible behavior.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:15 PM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

The husband of DW's friend and former workmate passed a few days ago. Not vaxed, caught covid, developed blood clots, had a heart attack and died.
Closed Thread