Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my area the positive test rate is over 10% but no real surge. I think the virus is going to run out of good hosts over a period of months. I do worry about the "fully vaccinated" who only had JNJ and don't get a booster. I am guessing that it is too late to run a trial of one dose vs planned 2 dose JNJ
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Covid is certainly active where we live. ICU's are at capacity. Over the past month month the number of people in the ICU who have not been vaccinated twice has ranged from 89-92 percent according to our daily health authority updates

The positivity rate in our city is down to 6-7 percent from 11/12. We have a high percentage of vaccinated adults..80 percent plus in the city.

Not so in some of our rural areas. Several have vaccination rates of 40 percent, 50 percent. They also have positivity rates of 18-20 percent.

Our city ICU's have a higher percentage of patients who have been transferred in from smaller rural hospitals and health clinics than locals.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
In my area the positive test rate is over 10% but no real surge. I think the virus is going to run out of good hosts over a period of months. I do worry about the "fully vaccinated" who only had JNJ and don't get a booster. I am guessing that it is too late to run a trial of one dose vs planned 2 dose JNJ
A study came out last week, from Yale I think, predicting that unvaccinated folks can expect to catch COVID every 16-17 months due to natural immunity wearing off. Vaccinated immunity can also wane over time, hence the boosters, so if people don't keep up with those, they'll become more vulnerable over time as well.

I'm hoping that by next year, they'll come out with a Flu/COVID combo shot to make it easier to stay on top of it.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You know this professor choose to go to a music workshop, knowing his Dad had aggressive stomach cancer. He made a choice. all this judgmental stuff really needs to stop. It's getting old.

You might reread what you wrote with respect to “judgmental stuff” [emoji16]
Old 10-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
A study came out last week, from Yale I think, predicting that unvaccinated folks can expect to catch COVID every 16-17 months due to natural immunity wearing off. Vaccinated immunity can also wane over time, hence the boosters, so if people don't keep up with those, they'll become more vulnerable over time as well.

I'm hoping that by next year, they'll come out with a Flu/COVID combo shot to make it easier to stay on top of it.
+100 on the combo vaccine!

I know of two former co workers who had Covid.
Luckily and thankfully, no one in my family has so far.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

But then many folks won't take the Flu shot because it's mixed with the covid shot.
At least when they are separate those folks can still get the flu shot.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
But then many folks won't take the Flu shot because it's mixed with the covid shot.
At least when they are separate those folks can still get the flu shot.
I'm sure they'll maintain separate ones. But for those of us that want both, a combo sounds pretty cool.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have had more close calls this summer/fall.

Podunk relatives up north (all unvaxed) went to a wedding and all got covid, only one hospitalized. They all received the infusion treatment. They gladly take that but not the vax.

Brother in law had us out to the lake..he sounded like he had a cold. I stayed away and told the family to stay outside and clear..next day he tested positive for Covid. Nobody else in his family got it.

After 18 months, we are sure to run into scenarios and exposures. Just have to deal the best we can.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Covid appears to be following the same path as any other virus. Starts out deadly, then mutates into a less deadly but more contagious form. Remember, a virus is like any other organism. It wants to survive and procreate. Herd immunity is here.
"Mutates to less Deadly"

"Herd immunity is here".

I question the veracity of each of these statements. What facts support these statements?
Old 10-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
We have had more close calls this summer/fall.

Podunk relatives up north (all unvaxed) went to a wedding and all got covid, only one hospitalized. They all received the infusion treatment. They gladly take that but not the vax.

Brother in law had us out to the lake..he sounded like he had a cold. I stayed away and told the family to stay outside and clear..next day he tested positive for Covid. Nobody else in his family got it.

After 18 months, we are sure to run into scenarios and exposures. Just have to deal the best we can.

You're in Fargo how much more North can you get?
Old 10-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #31

Boosters every 6 months or annually?

Not seeing that as a burden, since I already get an annual influenza shot.

Just worried about the 'never vaccinated' effect on relatives who are immunocompromised.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Covid appears to be following the same path as any other virus. Starts out deadly, then mutates into a less deadly but more contagious form. Remember, a virus is like any other organism. It wants to survive and procreate. Herd immunity is here.
It became far more contagious with Delta, but not less virulent. Probably more virulent. Certainly younger people and children have gotten a lot sicker compared to last year’s virus.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
A young guy near me refused to get vaccinated since he was sure even if he got Covid, it would not be that serious. He thinks he might already have had it.

He likes to go out and listen to various bands at the local nightspots. And the new rules in the county say he has to show proof of vaccination or a negative test within the previous three days to get in. The vaccine is free to him. He would have to pay for the test, probably multiple times a month. He got vaccinated.

Nothing like an ongoing financial slap in the face to get a person's attention.
Interesting. Here in Illinois testing is free and, if you don't live in the boonies, convenient. I have two testing "booths" within a mile of the house and have never seen either look crowded with cars in line. You drive up, get the quick test swab, then the lab test swab. Quick test results are immediate. You get an email with the lab results the next day.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Interesting. Here in Illinois testing is free and, if you don't live in the boonies, convenient. I have two testing "booths" within a mile of the house and have never seen either look crowded with cars in line. You drive up, get the quick test swab, then the lab test swab. Quick test results are immediate. You get an email with the lab results the next day.
Are these the PCR test ?

Do you know if they are free for people wanting to travel , or just sick people ?
Old 10-28-2021, 12:19 AM   #35

My mom and many of DW's relatives got it about ~6 months ago. Many were sick for up to two weeks. One lost a sense of smell. Only one more got Covid since then, thanks to vaccination.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:42 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
..Our monoclonal antibody therapy team is treating more and more patients each month...
My wife just survived COVID and we were VERY happy to get the monoclonal antibodies in her on the 5th day, she wasn't doing terribly well at the time, although her oxygen sat never got below 94, and generally was 96+.

I got booster yesterday and felt sick while sleeping last night but now feel fine.

We have mom's we are tending to and COVID makes the whole thing very difficult. So appreciative that we got her the antibodies. If nothing else, I feel confident it took a few days off her suffering.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I started getting sick a week ago, and I felt different all of a sudden. Started as a runny nose, then a little chest congestion and hacking cough. I had a slight headache, and food didn't have much taste. Slight temperature one night, but otherwise I'm okay.

My wife and 10 year old granddaughter started getting sick a could of days later. Took the kid Sunday, and she tested positive for COVID. Took the wife in Monday, and she tested positive--and she went in immediately for monoclonal antibody therapy via IV.

The wife has had 101 degree temperature the last 2 days, and she hurts all over. But since she has asthma I am very concerned about her lungs and chest congestion. So far, her breathing is just fine, but she's still 4 days into feeling pretty bad.

Brynley's off school (with 3 other students closest to her) until Monday. Other than a slight headache, she's shaken COVID just fine.

COVID's nothing to ignore. My wife and I are double vac'd, and we might have had a much worse case without the shots. We had one unvaccinated friend die, and her unvaccinated son was in the hospital 7 weeks. Two other friends lost their husbands.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #38

I'm aware of half a dozen people in my 97 home neighborhood that got Covid, and one neighbor with health problems died. I'm sure more in my neighborhood got Covid, I just don't know about them. I have 3 close family members that got it.
I have two Moderna jabs and a booster, and no longer hunkering down, although I'm not ready to join the gym. I want to really bad, but I'm not comfortable laying my face on a bench after a dozen other people, even after I clean it.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:47 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I wish something that convenient was readily available all over - booths at airports for rapid tests? With all the misinformation and divisiveness over vaccines it seems prudent to make it easy for people to get tested to support vaccine or test mandates.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Bamaman - hope you and your family have a quick recovery
Closed Thread