Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 03:30 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was wondering just that thing. We don't have pre-existing conditions, but what is to stop us from claiming we do? Do people just walk in and say "I have diabetes" or will they need a doctor's note?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
I just read through the Florida State information regarding who gets the vaccine first, second, etc. It generally makes sense, but seems a little thin on details. For example, if a person is in a high-risk group, like diabetic or severely asthmatic, how is that condition transmitted to the agencies administering the vaccine? Will CVS or Walgreens just take your word for it? Who will tell me when its my turn to get the shot?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2020, 04:11 AM   #182
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Some here mentioned that they were unsure about how and when the test subjects for the vaccines would be vaccinated, since it is kept secret whether they got the vaccine or the placebo.

My 76-year-old brother with co-morbidities volunteered to be a test subject for the Pfizer vaccine a while back. (This is my other brother, not the one that was exposed to Agent Orange.)

Anyway, he was pretty sure they would never tell him if he was in the placebo group or the vaccine group due to the double blind nature of the study. But, he just found out that on April 5th when he goes for his next appointment, they will tell him which group he was in. Then if he had the placebo, they will offer him the vaccine on that day. Good! I am glad he will know at that time, and he is very happy about it too.
Great news, so good that they give the placebo use volunteers the vaccine. It's the least they deserve for volunteering.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:34 AM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I was wondering just that thing. We don't have pre-existing conditions, but what is to stop us from claiming we do? Do people just walk in and say "I have diabetes" or will they need a doctor's note?
DH has an autoimmune disease and his doctor is sending him a letter to be used to qualify him for the vaccine, I guess that will be needed here in NC
Old 12-16-2020, 04:36 AM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Pictures on the local TV and newspaper of medical people getting the Pfizer vaccine. I can tell they are smiling under the masks. YAH!!!
Old 12-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #185
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is there a national or state run registry for people who have been vaccinated? I understand we will all get a paper slip for our 2nd appointment, and use it as a proof of vaccination. But an APP or QR code showing on your cellphone would be better.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
Is there a national or state run registry for people who have been vaccinated? I understand we will all get a paper slip for our 2nd appointment, and use it as a proof of vaccination. But an APP or QR code showing on your cellphone would be better.
At least half the elderly people I know don't have a smartphone so that'snot a reasonable option. It could be in addition to the paper slip but not instead of it IMO.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Let's stick with the paper instead of using big brother.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #188

Quote:
I usually just take a photo of any paper I need anyway, so I can check/show it on my phone. Unless the papers have embossed seals or something, that should be good enough, as digital forgery is only slightly easier than paper forgery in that it doesn't require you to print it out when you're done.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Fauci said recently that vaccines should be available to pretty much everyone in April.

Azar recently said late Feb or March everyone will be able to get vaccines, even earlier if the AZ and J&J vaccines get EUA from FDA.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
DH has an autoimmune disease and his doctor is sending him a letter to be used to qualify him for the vaccine, I guess that will be needed here in NC
All these qualifiers seem like they will slow down the efficient distribution of the vaccine.

I kind of think they should go into neighborhoods and or zip codes and just do everybody that wants one at once. The more doses that get given in one area, the less spread should occur.

I guess they will get more details ironed out along the way.

I know how concerned you have been about your DH's exposure Harllee and am happy he can get vaccinated. Will you be able to get your dose at the same time?
Old 12-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #191

I live in a county of 100,000 people in Fl. We have two hospitals. I ask on a local NEXTDOOR group if our hospitals had proper freezer storage for Pfizer's vaccine. I didn't get an answer to the question.
So, I called the local TV station and ask if they were checking on this. They said the hospitals are not answering questions on this until the second wave of vaccines. I said, it seems like there should be some preparation before the second wave. The reporter agreed and said we will continue asking. She sounded as if it was something on the front burner.
I wonder if the hospitals are waiting to know if they will get the vaccine before they invest in freezers.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #192
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Some here mentioned that they were unsure about how and when the test subjects for the vaccines would be vaccinated, since it is kept secret whether they got the vaccine or the placebo.

My 76-year-old brother with co-morbidities volunteered to be a test subject for the Pfizer vaccine a while back. (This is my other brother, not the one that was exposed to Agent Orange.)

Anyway, he was pretty sure they would never tell him if he was in the placebo group or the vaccine group due to the double blind nature of the study. But, he just found out that on April 5th when he goes for his next appointment, they will tell him which group he was in. Then if he had the placebo, they will offer him the vaccine on that day. Good! I am glad he will know at that time, and he is very happy about it too.
Makes sense. At some point the trial is over. And if they still want to trace long-term effects, not sure what the placebo group helps in doing that.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #193
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Thanks. Have a good friend I'm seeing later today that has autoimmune issues. Will tell him.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I wonder if the hospitals are waiting to know if they will get the vaccine before they invest in freezers.

Or perhaps waiting on the Moderna one that doesn't need the same level of freeze ? If I remember correctly, the Pfizer one can be kept in the container for a number of days and dry ice replaced as needed. Sounds like a good reason to use what ever vaccine supply they are provided.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I live in a county of 100,000 people in Fl. We have two hospitals. I ask on a local NEXTDOOR group if our hospitals had proper freezer storage for Pfizer's vaccine. I didn't get an answer to the question.
So, I called the local TV station and ask if they were checking on this. They said the hospitals are not answering questions on this until the second wave of vaccines. I said, it seems like there should be some preparation before the second wave. The reporter agreed and said we will continue asking. She sounded as if it was something on the front burner.
Maybe they can't even get the freezers it's very specialized equipment not like they can order it off of Amazon..
Old 12-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #196

FL has already announced delays with the supply/delivery chain for Pfizer vaccines. I don't expect any of us "regulars" will receive it - more likely the Moderna one that will be more widely available due to lack of the storage limitations.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Vaccine certs will soon be for sale right next to the "I don't need a mask" cards and the "Service Animal" vests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I usually just take a photo of any paper I need anyway, so I can check/show it on my phone. Unless the papers have embossed seals or something, that should be good enough, as digital forgery is only slightly easier than paper forgery in that it doesn't require you to print it out when you're done.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Maybe they can't even get the freezers it's very specialized equipment not like they can order it off of Amazon..

Just when you thought... But, why would think that?

From Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/y7vfsfvp
  • 17 cu ft. capacity, -50 to -86C temp range, holds (320) 2” boxes
  • Password protected lcd control center provides 21 audible and visual alarms, alarm battery backup, voltage booster, 4-20ma output, remote alarm contacts, and rs-232 diagnostic capability
Old 12-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #199
Full time employment: Posting here.

You said national and registry. This words used together make people say "oh no theyre not microchipping ME!" Lol
Quote:
Old 12-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just when you thought... But, why would think that?

From Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/y7vfsfvp
  • 17 cu ft. capacity, -50 to -86C temp range, holds (320) 2” boxes
  • Password protected lcd control center provides 21 audible and visual alarms, alarm battery backup, voltage booster, 4-20ma output, remote alarm contacts, and rs-232 diagnostic capability
LOL but look at that price..OTOH if you get it from a place that specialized in medical equipment ,it would cost a ton more. Bad news is there is a month to 2 month wait, so technically you can't get it off Amazon NOW.
Closed Thread