Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received my second Pfizer shot this morning at Sutter Health Mass Vaccination site in Sacramento. Queue of 50-60 people in front of me, but line moved quickly as about 15 vaccination cubicles were in action. Here is the puzzling tidbit. The entire site was only offering second Pfizer shots today - no first shots, and no Moderna shots. Worked for me, but it made me wonder how the pipeline keeps flowing if no first shots are available on a given day.

The unfortunate mix-up described (Covid vs Shingles) points out a couple of things: (1) Such mistakes are very rare and bad as it was - at least they caught their mistake. (2) Each of us MUST be our own (or our loved-one's) advocate!

RR said "Trust but verify." I couldn't say it better though YMMV.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_88097496-a3aa-11eb-9322-3fc3ccbe27e8.html

Some interesting developments in Louisiana:

The state's vaccination campaign has hit a snag in recent weeks as the supply of available doses eclipsed demand for appointments. Kanter said the state didn't draw down all available doses last week, as the number of people starting new vaccinations cratered. Fewer than 45,100 people got their first shot last week, one of the lowest weeks since the public roll-out began.

That lag in demand has been apparent at the federally-backed mass vaccination in Baton Rouge, which has the capacity to deliver 3,000 jabs a day, but delivered only 656 doses since opening on Friday.
Wow, more than enough vaccines to vaccinate everyone who wanted to be vaccinated. Even with the J&J situation. This is surprising to me and I don't see how it could possibly be true.

With Louisiana's latest coronavirus restrictions set to expire next week, Gov. John Bel Edwards on Thursday flirted with the possibility of lifting the state's mask mandate, saying that "nothing is off the table" until he's briefed by public health officials.

How surprising - - mask mandate possibly lifted in Louisiana? I seriously doubt that could happen here. On the other hand, maybe I'm wrong. Either way, if TPTB are even considering this then the situation here must be reasonably stable and that is encouraging.

Drove by a state run site in Scottsdale Arizona today. First sign I saw said we have extra shots, walk-ins accepted, turn right here. Next sign said appointments turn right here!

All sorts of appointments available at all of the state run sites, drug stores, grocery stores here in Arizona.

I would bet $100 that the next thing will be that we pay people to get vaccinated!

Last edited:
Drove by a state run site in Scottsdale Arizona today. First sign I saw said we have extra shots, walk-ins accepted, turn right here. Next sign said appointments turn right here!

All sorts of appointments available at all of the state run sites, drug stores, grocery stores here in Arizona.

I would bet $100 that the next thing will be that we pay people to get vaccinated!
I'm amazed! That sounds like Louisiana's situation. Seems like only yesterday when people were driving hundreds of miles to get vaccinated and there didn't seem to be any at all available in Louisiana. In February, I remember Audreyh1 was having a miserable time finding a vaccination appointment in Texas, but I regretfully had to tell her they were almost impossible to get in Louisiana too, even if she drove here. Then she found one somehow, somewhere. Time passed, and now they seem to be easily available in both Louisiana and Arizona.

The vaccination clinics in my rural county of PA and the more urban county (small city) to the north of me continue to have plenty of time slots for anyone that wants them. The staffing hospitals have started to reduce the number of people manning the clinics. The demand is not there. They are vaccinating about 1/2 the number each day that they were at the peak. And it's not due to limited vaccine supply.

Our county seems to be reaching a plateau with about 25% of the population being fully vaccinated. I do not know what percentage of our population is under age 16 and not currently being vaccinated.

When our state opened up to offer shots to larger age group in April, I got on the list. My first shot is May 4th.

Wow, more than enough vaccines to vaccinate everyone who wanted to be vaccinated. Even with the J&J situation. This is surprising to me and I don't see how it could possibly be true.

Unfortunately the J&J situation probably spilled over to the others in terms of giving the "vaccine hesitant" crowd more of an excuse to hold off. There would be a natural short term dip as those who were booked for J&J would now rebook (probably a good week/two), but it's probably done a number all around on those on the fence, regardless of which vaccine they might have been considering.

Unfortunately the J&J situation probably spilled over to the others in terms of giving the "vaccine hesitant" crowd more of an excuse to hold off. There would be a natural short term dip as those who were booked for J&J would now rebook (probably a good week/two), but it's probably done a number all around on those on the fence, regardless of which vaccine they might have been considering.

I agree. Look, we gotta get statistics training for both our news media, and our public information officers. For example, perhaps they can compare this issue with getting in your car and driving 10 miles?

I am on record that I think the pause is correct. We don't need any more lies from our officials. Trust has been an issue with this pandemic. It is time for the public information officers to do their damn jobs correctly to get out of this mess even before the pause is removed. Instead, I hear crickets. (Then again, I'm not scouring the news either.)

I've been saying that since the government started pressing for large numbers of vaccinations. "Hmph, you want me to get a shot? Show me the money!"

Plenty of shrewd, cynical people, who'll pretend they think the vaccine is harmful, up until the price is right.

I've been saying that since the government started pressing for large numbers of vaccinations. "Hmph, you want me to get a shot? Show me the money!"

Plenty of shrewd, cynical people, who'll pretend they think the vaccine is harmful, up until the price is right.

Well since it's the government I figure they will send all of us vaccinated people money, they better anyway! But with possible boosters on the horizon that could get expensive.

If I was running the Government, once shots are open to everybody, I would offer payment for shots on a sliding scale: The longer you wait the less you get. Alas, as usual they got it backwards.

April - $100
May 1-15 - $80
May 15-31 - $50
June - $25
After June - Free shots

Last edited:
If I was running the Government, once shots are open to everybody, I would offer payment for shots on a sliding scale: The longer you wait the less you get. Alas, as usual they got it backwards.

April - $100
May 1-15 - $80
May 15-31 - $50
June - $25
After June - Free shots

So nothing for the Feb/March people who were guinea pigs, that's not going to work for me:dance:

So nothing for the Feb/March people who were guinea pigs, that's not going to work for me:dance:

I'd have paid good money to get my shot in February! (somewhat joking, as I'd not have wanted to jump ahead of those more at risk, of course).

The supply/demand ratio was totally different then. And if money is the only way to get to herd immunity, for the greater good, then, so be it.

Very sad commentary...... alas probably true :(

In Los Angeles county all vaccination sites are offering walk-in shots with or without appointments. The number of shots have dropped in California from 494K per day to 448K per day. The state university system has mandated vaccinations for in campus attendance for this fall. Many young people that are fit are avoiding the vaccine. I spoke with many young people around our area and their attitude is that this is a "fat people" disease and they don't believe it will impact them. They also believe that the vaccine has protected the elderly and they just want to get on with life and go to bars and clubs like before.

I spoke with many young people around our area and their attitude is that this is a "fat people" disease and they don't believe it will impact them. They also believe that the vaccine has protected the elderly and they just want to get on with life and go to bars and clubs like before.

There is some truth to what they are saying. Most of the deaths among younger people have been in those classified as obese.

One statistic I heard on an interview was that 70% of the under 40 crowd who died and/or were seriously ill due to Covid were obese.

Is that a good excuse to not get the vaccine? I don't think so. Perhaps if these young people had seen their peers suffering from Polio they might think differently.

Last edited:
40% of my state's 16+ population are fully vaccinated. We have a central registration system and about 55% of registrants are fully vaccinated. I assume this means that there is still a good demand for the vaccination among the remaining 45% (about 450K people).

Registrants are now allowed to go online and look for appointments. Previously it was like a lottery where eligible people had to wait until their name was selected at random. Some are still having problems getting appointments but that may be a function of where they live as the vaccine is more popular in certain cities and counties, lack of transportation, mobility issues, etc. The state is also conducting vaccination events in selected, disadvantaged neighborhoods and probably allowing walk ins.

Then there is the 1/3 of the state population that has not registered. This is true even among ages 75+. Of course some younger, healthier people may not have registered yet because they were not eligible anyway. There was no advantage to registering early. Others went to nearby states for vaccination and are not entered into the state system.

Last edited:
There is some truth to what they are saying. Most of the deaths among younger people have been in those classified as obese.

One statistic I heard on an interview was that 70% of the under 40 crowd who died and/or were seriously ill due to Covid were obese.

Is that a good excuse to not get the vaccine? I don't think so. Perhaps if these young people had seen their peers suffering from Polio they might think differently.

The number quoted by the CDC was 78% of people who died or seriously ill from COVID were overweight or obese. Many in the younger generation have a "me me" attitude and are part of the "selfie photo generation" and just want to return to that way of life. Now they are getting celebrities and and social media influencers to promote vaccinations. Who knows how well that will work.

The number quoted by the CDC was 78% of people who died or seriously ill from COVID were overweight or obese. Many in the younger generation have a "me me" attitude and are part of the "selfie photo generation" and just want to return to that way of life. Now they are getting celebrities and and social media influencers to promote vaccinations. Who knows how well that will work.

We just had two threads closed that got into this territory. In truth we don't really know why people don't get vaccinated. Even if they give you a reason that doesn't mean that's what's really going on. People make excuses and most don't have a real reason except that they "don't want to"

In her shoes I'd also report to my PCP, and find a way to notify the vaccine provider. They probably don't have many people who have already had a 3rd shot since they would only be by accident, and might be able to glean some useful info, and/or be in a better position to advise her what to look out for, or to avoid, etc.

Actually, it appears that part of the ongoing trials involves giving people a third shot. See here: https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-got-first-covid-19-195336645.html

Most of the estimated 10 to 25 percent of Covid patients that become Long Haulers are younger and in good shape. Some have undiagnosed autoimmune conditions, but Long Covid affects a lot of 20 to 30 year-old athletes. One of the Long Covid support groups was started by a 44 year old interventional cardiologist that ran marathons and took boxing classes. The CDC is looking at hospitalized patients, primarily from the early days.

I've been ignoring the headlines about breakthrough cases, because nothing I've seen says they're anything approaching unexpected numbers. To me, it's not news. We all heard how the vaccines are 95% (and similar numbers) effective. It doesn't take a math wiz to figure out that there are going to be some people in the "other" 5% or whatever who get exposed.

But I just read one article which reported on preliminary studies saying something like .0075% of vaccinated people get infected. Obviously, it's much too soon to have anything like definitive numbers on this.

But even assuming an order of magnitude error, I kinda like those odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom