Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 06:10 PM   #2861
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Yes, as strange as it may seem, and as much as I dislike Facebook, Facebook seems to be the best place to find out how to sign up for Covid vaccines here in NC
I would have been lost without our neighborhood Facebook group. It’s the only Facebook thing I check anymore.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2021, 06:10 PM   #2862
Full time employment: Posting here.

Agree! Here to add frankly I prob wouldnt let a Dr give me a shot without heavy questioning. Not his or her wheelhouse. I also don't want a regular doc doing my IV. No thanks
Gimme the nurse, tech or anesthesia person who does them all day.

I had to give myself a shot and a naive tech told me to ask the doc. I was hesitant cause I know that wasn't his deal and he QUICKLY said i didn't want his advice bc he didn't do them and said he would send his nurse to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OK! I can now do the happy dance!

Got jabbed. First dose, Pfizer. CVS Pharmacy.

Pharmacists give out plenty of vaccine injections all year long. I’ve had over a half dozen vaccine injections in the last 5 years, and all but one have been given by pharmacists.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:03 AM   #2863
Give me a forum ...

I got my first shot at the county fairgrounds. Long wait in line of cars - they give you paperwork to fill out in the car, instead of printing it out beforehand and bringing it with you. Very inefficient, considering everything else is done online!

So, they told me I could get my 2nd shot anywhere I wanted, within the time frame. So then I got an automated invitation from the hospital, which would be vastly more convenient. Guess what, the invitation is only for Shot No. 1. But I made an appointment anyway, in case the county forgets to invite me back for Shot No. 2. I can always cancel the hospital appointment.

Now I'm wondering: What is the actual difference, if any, between the first and second shots? For example, are they different amounts of vaccine?

P.S. Had no reaction to the first shot, other than a slight muscle soreness at the injection site. I usually don't react to injections.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:27 AM   #2864
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So, they told me I could get my 2nd shot anywhere I wanted, within the time frame. So then I got an automated invitation from the hospital, which would be vastly more convenient. Guess what, the invitation is only for Shot No. 1. But I made an appointment anyway, in case the county forgets to invite me back for Shot No. 2. I can always cancel the hospital appointment.

Now I'm wondering: What is the actual difference, if any, between the first and second shots? For example, are they different amounts of vaccine?

P.S. Had no reaction to the first shot, other than a slight muscle soreness at the injection site. I usually don't react to injections.
Shots 1 and 2 are exactly the same from a medical point of view. I have seen many places having dedicated appointment for shot 2 only, since it's important that these be available once a shot 1 is administered, but you should be able to use a shot 1 appointment for your second shot.

For example, when you check at vaccinespotter.org, some of the appointments show "shot 2 only" to make sure that everybody can get their second shot, but those that don't say that can be used for both shots.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:58 AM   #2865
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I got my first shot at the county fairgrounds. Long wait in line of cars - they give you paperwork to fill out in the car, instead of printing it out beforehand and bringing it with you. Very inefficient, considering everything else is done online!

I think your risk in signing up for a first shot is that even if they tell you which vaccine they are giving you, they could change it based on supply. But if your first shot was Pfizer your second shot must also be Pfizer. So they know they can’t substitute on second shots where they are allowed to on first shots.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:22 AM   #2866
Give me a forum ...

A glitch with J & J.
https://news.yahoo.com/johnson-johns...220449581.html
Quote:
Johnson & Johnson has paused shipment of its COVID-19 vaccine in the United States while the Food and Drug Administration investigates a factory mixup that ruined roughly 15 million doses of the vaccine.
Workers at a Baltimore plant run by Emergent BioSolutions, a manufacturing partner to Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca, reportedly mixed up the vaccines’ ingredients several weeks ago, according to the New York Times.
I've been disappointed by the J&J publicity (and transparency) about their roll-out. This is an unexpected glitch, of course. Still, it isn't going as well as many hoped on many fronts.

The article has more information which will likely stir up more controversy. The current J&J doses in the USA are from the Netherlands. These Baltimore doses were supposed to follow up those initial ones from NL.

It is hard to get info, but it sounds like future NL based shots will go to the EU. And with the angst going on there over the new surge, I would suspect they'll be highly coveted.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:47 AM   #2867
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I think your risk in signing up for a first shot is that even if they tell you which vaccine they are giving you, they could change it based on supply. But if your first shot was Pfizer your second shot must also be Pfizer. So they know they can’t substitute on second shots where they are allowed to on first shots.
That's true, it's essential that the second shot is the same as the first. In practice, from what I read it is rare that they switch, because the bottleneck now is the vaccine and not the shooters. So if one version is out, it's unlikely there's a batch of the other sitting around somewhere that could be swapped in. And should it happen, you'd have a moral right to not take the shot of the unexpected version.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:54 AM   #2868
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
So they wasted 15 million doses, that's enough for 5% of the US population! Very sad to to see this; haste makes waste. But on the other hand, we must be aware that the unusual manufacturing paths that are created for the vaccines are necessarily put together in haste, and glitches are unfortunately to be expected one way or another.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #2869

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Agree! Here to add frankly I prob wouldnt let a Dr give me a shot without heavy questioning. Not his or her wheelhouse.
Interesting observation. The person who gave me shot #1 had a "Doctor" name tag. (They're so organized there; everything and everyone is labelled!)

She was nice enough, and I had no after-effects, but I felt like she wasn't as "good" at giving shots as other people I've gotten vaccinations from. It's hard to explain; it hurt a little more, took a little longer, just didn't feel as smooth and confident. By comparison, I never felt that way with my regular doctor, a family GP.

Anyway, I'm glad she (and all the others) were there. I don't care if I get shot #2 from a veterinarian. Just that there's a process to get everyone vaccinated!
Old 04-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
... ...

I don't care if I get shot #2 from a veterinarian. Just that there's a process to get everyone vaccinated!
I'd feel comfortable getting a shot from a veterinarian. My kitties don't flinch when our vet gives them their shots .
Old 04-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #2871

I figure even if they recruited complete med-school newbs or people who haven't given vaccines in 5 years, by the time we're all getting them the medical personnel have had several months of experience.

I'm reminded of the cave rescue story from a few years back: They trained divers to administer sedative shots using plastic cola bottles for a couple of days, then had them sedate the kids to travel underwater safely for hours, underwater. And look at how well that went.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #2872
Recycles dryer sheets

Today, April 1st, is the opening day for California vaccinations for age 50 to 64. Got my first Pfizer shot this morning at Sutter Health Mass Vaccination site, Sacramento. Told to wait in the car until 8:30am for my 9:00 appointment, then joined fast moving queue. "Mass" indoor site had about 15 cubicles out of maybe 50 cubicles operating. Got shot at 8:42 and was out the door at 8:57. Understand that I was lucky to snag appointment as many now cannot find any available. Appointment scarcity predicted to worsen when 16-49 year-olds are added on April 15.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:51 PM   #2873
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
So they wasted 15 million doses, that's enough for 5% of the US population! Very sad to to see this; haste makes waste. But on the other hand, we must be aware that the unusual manufacturing paths that are created for the vaccines are necessarily put together in haste, and glitches are unfortunately to be expected one way or another.

Apparently they discovered this in the "mixing" phase not after the vaccine had been bottled and ready to ship. So it's not good but not as bad as it could have been timewise.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #2874
Give me a forum ...

But 15 million doses! That’s a huge loss!
Old 04-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #2875
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hopefully they have enough product on hand to remix it and bottle it quickly.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #2876
Give me a forum ...

Found an appt. at a Rite Aid for next Wednesday. But I haven’t found an open appt. at any other chains.

Wary that the appointment will hold up.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #2877

Quote:
Huge is correct. IMHO haste makes waste and farming out production further dilutes any faith I had in American name brands.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #2878

I finally got an appointment at Walgreens Wednesday!! Yes, it's the J&J so I don't have to worry about allergic reaction
Old 04-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #2879
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
I finally got an appointment at Walgreens Wednesday!! Yes, it's the J&J so I don't have to worry about allergic reaction
And just one shot for you!
Old 04-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #2880

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Closed Thread