Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in SW Washington the county health department is begging people to just drop in and get a shot - no waiting at several mega sites. Things sure turned around from scarce to plentiful in a hurry. I thought once the floodgates opened, it would be a struggle again, but it is not.

Here in SW Washington the county health department is begging people to just drop in and get a shot - no waiting at several mega sites. Things sure turned around from scarce to plentiful in a hurry. I thought once the floodgates opened, it would be a struggle again, but it is not.

People seem to want things more if they are rationed than if they are freely available. One recent example being toilet paper.

Here in central NC, the UNC health system now says on its vaccination website that "drop ins are welcome" at any of their large vaccination clinics. You can still make an appointment if you prefer, but if you walk in they will accommodate you.

Far different from the days when I (and many, many others) were up at 2-3 am every morning refreshing the screen over and over, trying to get any appointment anywhere!

I hope that the ease of getting the vaccine will now encourage folks who weren't willing (or weren't equipped) to navigate the online system in the earlier months.

Last edited:
Could some of those not coming back for the second shot be people who have had Covid prior to getting the first shot? Hasn't there been a recommendation that people who have had Covid only get one shot?
Not that I'm aware of. We still advise people to get the full series of two (or 1 J&J).

One thing that does happen, which I've personally seen a number of times, is people getting their first shot, and then coming down with COVID a few days or a week or so later. That means that they were probably already infected when they went for the shot but didn't know it yet. When that happens, they often end up having to delay their 2nd dose due to the quarantine period.

I'm sure there are also some folks who have a bad reaction to the first dose and decide not to go back, or to wait longer before they do.

CDC just announced today that people fainting when getting the first shot, reported in 5 states, were likely dealing with anxiety.

So that kind of reaction, more psychological than physical, may cause people to skip the second shot.

Even though it's mild compared to other injections. Not different from the flu shots.

In Orange County CA this past week, a county official asked a doctor if there was a tracking device injected with the vaccine. This kind of stupidity has been circulating for over a year among anti-vaxxers. These same people don't have any issues with the tracking embedded in their mobile phones.

When I got my second shot, the nurse asked if I had any reaction to the first shot. Using a joke I heard on a podcast, I told her 'Well I do get better cell phone reception now. ...She looked at me, and I said 'you know, that 5G chip'. Then I belatedly realized that I shouldn't have made the person injecting me laugh just before the time of injection!!. It went fine though.

CDC just announced today that people fainting when getting the first shot, reported in 5 states, were likely dealing with anxiety.

So that kind of reaction, more psychological than physical, may cause people to skip the second shot.

Even though it's mild compared to other injections. Not different from the flu shots.

I’m the world’s worst patient when it comes to getting shots. When I was young I would either faint or my blood pressure would drop so low that I lost consciousness and had to be nursed back to health. I believe they call it vasovagal response. I was just scared to death of needles. I still can’t watch people getting shots on TV. I have to look away every time they show it.

I’ve now had both Pfizer shots and literally could not feel the shot either time. Maybe it felt like someone lightly pinched me with two fingers for a second, if even that. So if I can handle these shots, anyone can.

People seem to want things more if they are rationed than if they are freely available. One recent example being toilet paper.

While the UK was vaccinating folks they dropped down the age groups by 5 years at a time. Now they are moving 2 or 3 years at a time. They just moved from over 45 to over 42 and now to over 40. Could be some of that rationing psychology at play here.

It may be, but still the return rate is perhaps better than expected.

92% is good I think. One of the concerns in the UK was that 12 weeks between jabs would mean many folks would not come back for a 2nd. So far that has not been the case but with infections at their lowest since last summer it wouldn’t surprise me if there was some reluctance. However many folks get their appointments when their local GP offices contact them, so it is much more of a push than pull approach.

I get the vasovagal response when I have blood drawn, even if there is no pain whatsoever. I don't dare look at my own blood coming out through the tube, or I'll faint when I get up. It's out of a person's conscious control.

OTOH I've had as many as four shots at one time (two in each arm) and not been bothered by any of them. It doesn't bother me to see people getting injections. Although I don't like to see other people's wounds or bleeding, it doesn't affect me physically.

However, I cannot watch scenes of deliberate cruelty in a movie, or I will get upset.

Stuff is weird.

I’m the world’s worst patient when it comes to getting shots. When I was young I would either faint or my blood pressure would drop so low that I lost consciousness and had to be nursed back to health. I believe they call it vasovagal response. I was just scared to death of needles. I still can’t watch people getting shots on TV. I have to look away every time they show it.

I’ve now had both Pfizer shots and literally could not feel the shot either time. Maybe it felt like someone lightly pinched me with two fingers for a second, if even that. So if I can handle these shots, anyone can.

I get the vasovagal response when I have blood drawn, even if there is no pain whatsoever. I don't dare look at my own blood coming out through the tube, or I'll faint when I get up. It's out of a person's conscious control.

OTOH I've had as many as four shots at one time (two in each arm) and not been bothered by any of them. It doesn't bother me to see people getting injections. Although I don't like to see other people's wounds or bleeding, it doesn't affect me physically.

However, I cannot watch scenes of deliberate cruelty in a movie, or I will get upset.

Stuff is weird.

Yeah, we're all so different. I had a boss who had to go to "Industrial Medicine" (our megcorp clinic) for a blood test. A good buddy of mine was in the waiting room when he heard the nurse cry out. My boss had collapsed during a seated blood test draw. My buddy who could dead lift the front of a VW bug, picked the boss up and put him on a gurney. The boss then drew into the fetal position.

I watched them cut open my arm for an angiogram. The blood spurted just like in MASH (the movie.) No problem. One day, sitting in Industrial Medicine, the nurse was pulling 4 vials of blood from me. He had forgotten his little portable tray, so he handed me the first drawn vial. It was "warm." I thought I was going down, but I talked myself out of it. From then on, I insisted on handling each vial - ostensibly to check the labels (they MAKE me look now as part of some gummint reg - but back then it was "trust me.") I just wanted to make sure I had defeated what ever demon I had which made me queasy from handling a warm vial of blood. Seems to have worked, but YMMV.

I saw on tonight's TV news, that here in TX, our state has 500k doses of vaccine that they don't know where to send. Everyone giving shots has more than enough. T'aint good. Don't know how we are going to reach herd immunity here. Around the DFW area, most of the hub sites have closed. Those that are still open, have limited days, and are not moving much vaccine. And at 100 doses a week max used by pharmacies and Drs. offices here and there, it's not adding up to much a week total. In my area, the biggest users of vaccine now seem to be a few hospital groups, who I assume are using it through all their various allied clinics. But their numbers are not an increase from before.

Maybe invite Mexicans to come in for shots?

Only come in, get the shots, leave. Maybe make appointments for second shots.

Or send the vaccines to Canada. We'll be waiting.

Vaccination rate down here in the Valley is quite high. One county over has 81% of their 65 plus fully vaccinated and 59% of 16+ fully vaccinated! This county was hit super hard during the surge last summer. I suspect due to the general area being hit hard both summer and winter, vaccine uptake has been high. That’s probably why it was so difficult for me to get an appointment a month ago and didn’t really start opening up until a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

Last edited:
Beginning this week, Pfizer will be shipping 2 million vaccine doses per week to Canada from their plant in Michigan. They expect to increase that to 2.4 million doses per week in June. They also began shipping doses to Mexico. Pfizer says that increased US production allows them to export these doses while still meeting their commitment for domestic shipments.

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...9-shots-canada-starting-next-week-2021-04-30/

Here in Southern California, many people who want to be vaccinated are refusing the Johnson and Johnson vaccine so the sites have shifted to only Pfizer and Moderna. Even the site Myturn.ca.gov has a big warning about the J&J vaccine. Why would anyone want a vaccine with 66% efficacy versus 90% or 95% that has a risk of rare blood clots. I think the J&J vaccine distribution in urban areas is all but dead in this country with some exceptions for vaccinating the homeless. The J&J vaccine will likely be exported.

I still know plenty of people who have delayed vaccination because they only want J&J. They were bummed when it got paused and waited for it to restart. They either want the single dose or they’re skeptical of the mRNA for some reason.

I got J&J because it was what was available when I went to book. I'd still like to get the Pfizer vaccine so hopefully if there is massive under-demand that will be doable soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom