Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #3061
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Second Pfizer shot was yesterday. Site of injection is a little sore and itchy. Rest of me seems about like usual.

Husband noticed nothing whatever with his shots (also Pfizer)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #3062
Give me a forum ...

Four shots between the two of us; no pain. My first, I went away wondering if I'd even gotten a shot (although it felt itchy later on so I knew it was there). Second one, I felt a little pressure from the fluid going in, but no pain whatever.

My sister, who is ultra-sensitive to pain and had been dreading it, had no issues with either shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
You won't even feel the needle go in.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #3063
Give me a forum ...

What the...who's giving these shots? The Mafia? I'm sorry they used this language with a patient. Probably meant nothing.

If you are worried, and have somewhere else to go for your second shot, go there.

With the Pfizer shot, the county health dept said we could go anywhere we wanted for the second shot, as long as it was within (I think) 8 weeks. Because local pharmacy appts have been hard to get, we just waited for the county's second-shot notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

I'm now 28 days past my Moderna #1 and have no appt. for #2. The pharmacy has told us: "Don't call us, we'll call you... and please don't go somewhere else, we know about you."

Old 04-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #3064
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Something is going on here. It's 6:55 AM Saturday and I logged into my UCLA health account and looked up COVID-19 vaccine appointments. They are operating five mega pod sites (two are open on Saturday) and I can get an appointment as early as 8:10 AM on Saturday and any weekday thereafter at all five sites. I see the same thing on the Cedars Sinai and the Kaiser Permanente sites with plenty of same day appointments available. There are far more hospitals operating meg pods in the county plus we have three drive through mega sites. We may be at the point where supply and vaccination capacity exceeds demand at least in Los Angeles County.
Dr. Gottlieb and a few others predicted that by the April/May time frame getting a shot would be much easier. Let's hope we are seeing the first proof that they are right.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #3065
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What the...who's giving these shots? The Mafia? I'm sorry they used this language with a patient. Probably meant nothing.

If you are worried, and have somewhere else to go for your second shot, go there.

With the Pfizer shot, the county health dept said we could go anywhere we wanted for the second shot, as long as it was within (I think) 8 weeks. Because local pharmacy appts have been hard to get, we just waited for the county's second-shot notification.
I paraphrased. It was more like: "You are in our system and we'll call you when you are due and we have a distribution clinic. Please don't make an appointment elsewhere."

I think the plea to not make an appointment elsewhere is to help the system so people don't bungle it up by double booking second shots. I don't think it is mafia behavior, but hey, could be!

I'll give ya'll an update on this later. Right now, I'm on my way to give platelets. I like watching the huge needle go in and the tube fill. I'm weird.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #3066
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Second Pfizer shot was yesterday. Site of injection is a little sore and itchy. Rest of me seems about like usual.
Quote:
Four shots between the two of us; no pain. My first, I went away wondering if I'd even gotten a shot (although it felt itchy later on so I knew it was there). Second one, I felt a little pressure from the fluid going in, but no pain whatever.
That's my experience, almost to a T. No itchiness is the only diff.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #3067
Give me a forum ...

DH felt nothing at all, my first was a good pinch as seems typical for my vaccinations.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #3068
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Dr. Gottlieb and a few others predicted that by the April/May time frame getting a shot would be much easier. Let's hope we are seeing the first proof that they are right.
Scott Gottlieb is one of the more straight forward medical talking heads on TV. He has more credibility than most.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:17 AM   #3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
The Raleigh paper had an article about the J&J side effects this week that caused them to shut down the J&J vaccines for a few days (they are going to start giving J&J again next week). What happened was that 18 people who had the J&J fainted and/or vomited and 2 had to be hospitalized. When the health people interviewed the people that had these reactions they found that these were mostly people with needle phobias who in the past had this reaction to any sort of shot. They paper interviewed one lady who had been hospitalized after the J&J shot and she said always fainted when getting any shot. People who have this issue are getting the J&J because it is only one shot so that is why there is more of this type of reaction to this particular vaccine. The health folks in Raleigh are now going to ask people if they have this phobia and if so those people are going to be allowed to lay down for the shot and are going to be given orange juice and a snack.
Exactly!! Says someone with a phobia. My mind takes over exaggerating any physical response
Old 04-11-2021, 04:18 AM   #3070

Quote:
You won't even feel the needle go in.
I felt it. My mind's a weird thing. But it's 1&done so just don't go to a mass vaccination site if possible
Old 04-11-2021, 04:35 AM   #3071
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Exactly!! Says someone with a phobia. My mind takes over exaggerating any physical response
Yes but you were able to overcome the phobia and get your shot. Good for you gayl!
Old 04-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #3072

Got a message to confirm my appointment for my third shot yesterday...

See, the first time, the person filling out the form wrote "April 6" for my second shot. But they wrote the "i" right over a line on the form, and it looked like "Apr. l6."

I got a call for my appointment on the 6th, and got my shot, then got the call again for the 16th. At least they're doing a good job of making sure no-one falls through the cracks.

Think I'll be even better protected if I get three shots? (Just kidding!)
Old 04-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #3073
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Scott Gottlieb is one of the more straight forward medical talking heads on TV. He has more credibility than most.
I agree.

A few months ago I made a note of several predictions made about Spring and Summer Covid issues in the USA. (Yes, I have too much time on my hands.) So far he is a leader. A few others are already changing their predictions to fit what has occurred or not occured. Little do they know that I wrote down what they said.

Let's hope he is correct when he said that we will have an immunity backstop made of previous infections and the vaccine which will keep another wave in check.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #3074
Administrator

Dr. Gottlieb lives in Connecticut and has appeared several times on the governor's press conferences to talk about COVID. I have found him to be very clear and willing to actually make a prediction without a host of qualifications that water it down. Given that he is the former head of the FDA and a member of the Pfizer board of directors, I'm inclined to trust what he says.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #3075
Give me a forum ...

I just hope you don't turn into a giant spike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Think I'll be even better protected if I get three shots? (Just kidding!)
Old 04-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #3076

I don't watch TV either, never heard of Scott Gottlieb, but searched just now and see he is literally on the payroll of big pharma, so naturally his perspective will not be purely in the interest of public health. Not saying anything about what he is saying, since I don't know what that is, but no matter who you listen to "consider the source" is probably relevant advice. In other words, there's a risk that things that can't produce revenue, but might be a low risk way to reduce the impact of Covid, don't even get a mention.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:26 PM   #3077
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. Very credible and sensible IMO.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #3078
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I don't watch TV either, never heard of Scott Gottlieb, but searched just now and see he is literally on the payroll of big pharma, so naturally his perspective will not be purely in the interest of public health. Not saying anything about what he is saying, since I don't know what that is, but no matter who you listen to "consider the source" is probably relevant advice. In other words, there's a risk that things that can't produce revenue, but might be a low risk way to reduce the impact of Covid, don't even get a mention.
Pretty cynical. You say you don't watch TV, which is fine, but how do you then find the information needed to have an informed opinion?

I think it highly unlikely that a simple, low risk way to deal with covid would be suppressed.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #3079
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Pretty cynical. You say you don't watch TV, which is fine, but how do you then find the information needed to have an informed opinion?

I think it highly unlikely that a simple, low risk way to deal with covid would be suppressed.
Let’s lighten up a bit, eh? Any source can be talking it’s book, so it’s not cynical to keep that in mind. Personally I think Dr Gottlieb has been a shining example of someone advocating for the public interest, but there are other legitimate and well informed sources.

As for those other sources, I see TV as a source of entertainment but not serious analysis or useful, timely and unbiased information. For that I much prefer print and internet, and I assumed you did as well.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #3080

According to the CDC/Reuters, 4,629,928 shots were administered on Friday April 12th.

" The United States had administered 183,467,709 doses of COVID-19 vaccines and distributed 237,791,735 doses as of Saturday morning, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

Those figures are up from the 178,837,781 doses the CDC said had been administered by April 9, out of 233,591,955 doses delivered. "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2BY026

The good news is the pace of vaccinations continue to accelerate and capacity to vaccinate exceeds demand in many urban locations. The problem is many are refusing to take the vaccine and the roll-out in other countries are not outpacing infections. Some of the vaccines being used in other countries have questionable efficacy. In the end, you can't BS this virus with snake-oil. My brother works at a large hospital and he stated that they are admitting more younger people into the ICU due to COVID-19. They are seeing strokes and blood clots among younger people who contracted COVID-19. The only seniors they see now are those that did not vaccinate. We may return to some form of normal in many states over the next few months, but we will be putting out fires as the virus spreads and mutates in other countries and among those that did not vaccinate in this country.
Closed Thread