Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 08:29 PM   #3381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
In Orange County CA this past week, a county official asked a doctor if there was a tracking device injected with the vaccine. This kind of stupidity has been circulating for over a year among anti-vaxxers. These same people don't have any issues with the tracking embedded in their mobile phones.

When I got my second shot, the nurse asked if I had any reaction to the first shot. Using a joke I heard on a podcast, I told her 'Well I do get better cell phone reception now. ...She looked at me, and I said 'you know, that 5G chip'. Then I belatedly realized that I shouldn't have made the person injecting me laugh just before the time of injection!!. It went fine though.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #3382

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
CDC just announced today that people fainting when getting the first shot, reported in 5 states, were likely dealing with anxiety.

So that kind of reaction, more psychological than physical, may cause people to skip the second shot.

Even though it's mild compared to other injections. Not different from the flu shots.
I’m the world’s worst patient when it comes to getting shots. When I was young I would either faint or my blood pressure would drop so low that I lost consciousness and had to be nursed back to health. I believe they call it vasovagal response. I was just scared to death of needles. I still can’t watch people getting shots on TV. I have to look away every time they show it.

I’ve now had both Pfizer shots and literally could not feel the shot either time. Maybe it felt like someone lightly pinched me with two fingers for a second, if even that. So if I can handle these shots, anyone can.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:48 AM   #3383
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
People seem to want things more if they are rationed than if they are freely available. One recent example being toilet paper.
While the UK was vaccinating folks they dropped down the age groups by 5 years at a time. Now they are moving 2 or 3 years at a time. They just moved from over 45 to over 42 and now to over 40. Could be some of that rationing psychology at play here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It may be, but still the return rate is perhaps better than expected.
92% is good I think. One of the concerns in the UK was that 12 weeks between jabs would mean many folks would not come back for a 2nd. So far that has not been the case but with infections at their lowest since last summer it wouldn’t surprise me if there was some reluctance. However many folks get their appointments when their local GP offices contact them, so it is much more of a push than pull approach.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:41 AM   #3384
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I get the vasovagal response when I have blood drawn, even if there is no pain whatsoever. I don't dare look at my own blood coming out through the tube, or I'll faint when I get up. It's out of a person's conscious control.

OTOH I've had as many as four shots at one time (two in each arm) and not been bothered by any of them. It doesn't bother me to see people getting injections. Although I don't like to see other people's wounds or bleeding, it doesn't affect me physically.

However, I cannot watch scenes of deliberate cruelty in a movie, or I will get upset.

Stuff is weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I’m the world’s worst patient when it comes to getting shots. When I was young I would either faint or my blood pressure would drop so low that I lost consciousness and had to be nursed back to health. I believe they call it vasovagal response. I was just scared to death of needles. I still can’t watch people getting shots on TV. I have to look away every time they show it.

I’ve now had both Pfizer shots and literally could not feel the shot either time. Maybe it felt like someone lightly pinched me with two fingers for a second, if even that. So if I can handle these shots, anyone can.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #3385
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I get the vasovagal response when I have blood drawn, even if there is no pain whatsoever. I don't dare look at my own blood coming out through the tube, or I'll faint when I get up. It's out of a person's conscious control.

OTOH I've had as many as four shots at one time (two in each arm) and not been bothered by any of them. It doesn't bother me to see people getting injections. Although I don't like to see other people's wounds or bleeding, it doesn't affect me physically.

However, I cannot watch scenes of deliberate cruelty in a movie, or I will get upset.

Stuff is weird.
Yeah, we're all so different. I had a boss who had to go to "Industrial Medicine" (our megcorp clinic) for a blood test. A good buddy of mine was in the waiting room when he heard the nurse cry out. My boss had collapsed during a seated blood test draw. My buddy who could dead lift the front of a VW bug, picked the boss up and put him on a gurney. The boss then drew into the fetal position.

I watched them cut open my arm for an angiogram. The blood spurted just like in MASH (the movie.) No problem. One day, sitting in Industrial Medicine, the nurse was pulling 4 vials of blood from me. He had forgotten his little portable tray, so he handed me the first drawn vial. It was "warm." I thought I was going down, but I talked myself out of it. From then on, I insisted on handling each vial - ostensibly to check the labels (they MAKE me look now as part of some gummint reg - but back then it was "trust me.") I just wanted to make sure I had defeated what ever demon I had which made me queasy from handling a warm vial of blood. Seems to have worked, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:55 PM   #3386

I saw on tonight's TV news, that here in TX, our state has 500k doses of vaccine that they don't know where to send. Everyone giving shots has more than enough. T'aint good. Don't know how we are going to reach herd immunity here. Around the DFW area, most of the hub sites have closed. Those that are still open, have limited days, and are not moving much vaccine. And at 100 doses a week max used by pharmacies and Drs. offices here and there, it's not adding up to much a week total. In my area, the biggest users of vaccine now seem to be a few hospital groups, who I assume are using it through all their various allied clinics. But their numbers are not an increase from before.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:34 PM   #3387
Give me a forum ...

Maybe invite Mexicans to come in for shots?

Only come in, get the shots, leave. Maybe make appointments for second shots.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:15 PM   #3388
Give me a forum ...

Or send the vaccines to Canada. We'll be waiting.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:22 AM   #3389
Give me a forum ...

Vaccination rate down here in the Valley is quite high. One county over has 81% of their 65 plus fully vaccinated and 59% of 16+ fully vaccinated! This county was hit super hard during the surge last summer. I suspect due to the general area being hit hard both summer and winter, vaccine uptake has been high. That’s probably why it was so difficult for me to get an appointment a month ago and didn’t really start opening up until a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ine-doses.html
Old 05-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #3390
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Or send the vaccines to Canada. We'll be waiting.

I think this needs to happen.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #3391
Full time employment: Posting here.

Beginning this week, Pfizer will be shipping 2 million vaccine doses per week to Canada from their plant in Michigan. They expect to increase that to 2.4 million doses per week in June. They also began shipping doses to Mexico. Pfizer says that increased US production allows them to export these doses while still meeting their commitment for domestic shipments.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ek-2021-04-30/
Old 05-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #3392

Here in Southern California, many people who want to be vaccinated are refusing the Johnson and Johnson vaccine so the sites have shifted to only Pfizer and Moderna. Even the site Myturn.ca.gov has a big warning about the J&J vaccine. Why would anyone want a vaccine with 66% efficacy versus 90% or 95% that has a risk of rare blood clots. I think the J&J vaccine distribution in urban areas is all but dead in this country with some exceptions for vaccinating the homeless. The J&J vaccine will likely be exported.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #3393

I still know plenty of people who have delayed vaccination because they only want J&J. They were bummed when it got paused and waited for it to restart. They either want the single dose or they’re skeptical of the mRNA for some reason.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:40 PM   #3394
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got J&J because it was what was available when I went to book. I'd still like to get the Pfizer vaccine so hopefully if there is massive under-demand that will be doable soon.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #3395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
I got J&J because it was what was available when I went to book. I'd still like to get the Pfizer vaccine so hopefully if there is massive under-demand that will be doable soon.
Is there any data describing the effects of doubling up on vaccines like that?
Old 05-04-2021, 01:55 AM   #3396
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Is there any data describing the effects of doubling up on vaccines like that?
My wife and I are currently in a trial to help determine that.

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...al-108890.html
Old 05-04-2021, 07:08 AM   #3397
Give me a forum ...

I feel like saying "Thank you for your service."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Old 05-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #3398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

According some comments in the herd immunity thread you two should both have grown a second head by now. Thanks for doing this it will help some people.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #3399
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I saw on tonight's TV news, that here in TX, our state has 500k doses of vaccine that they don't know where to send....
They could sent it to Mexico. Demand far exceeds supply as of right now.
Closed Thread