Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this. My mother, my sisters and I have serious allergy problems. My mother is the worst--twice she unknowingly at something with a nut she is very allergic to and had to be rushed to the hospital. In the before EpiPen days I was with her when she went into shock--doctor in hospital said she might have died had I not gotten her to the hospital so fast. However, she has been able to take vaccines like Shingrix, flu and pneumonia with no problem. So her severe allergy problem is definitely linked to a specific food.

I, on the other hand, have an allergy to aspirin. I have never gone into shock but break out in a rash and have had my lips swell from aspirin (it has been years since I touched aspirin or anything related). I do carry an epipen (but the one I have is expired--need to get another, they are expensive).

So I need to learn more about the Covid vaccine and allergies. If anyone sees anything more on this topic please let me know.

More information on the chemical composition of the Pfizer vaccine ingredients:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...list-nothing-too-surprising-there/6520511002/

Active Ingredient
30 mcg of a nucleosidemodified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike (S) glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2.

Fats
lipids (0.43 mg (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 0.05 mg 2[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 0.09 mg 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3- phosphocholine, and 0.2 mg cholesterol)

Salts
0.01 mg potassium chloride
0.01 mg monobasic potassium phosphate
0.36 mg sodium chloride
0.07 mg dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate

Sugar
6 mg sucrose

I doubt the vaccine gets "rid" of it due to those who won't take it.

It doesn't matter. The vaccine by itself may not get rid of the virus.

These observations suggest that we cannot assume COVID-19 vaccines, even if shown to be effective in reducing severity of disease, will reduce virus transmission to a comparable degree. The notion that COVID-19-vaccine-induced population immunity will allow a return to pre-COVID-19 “normalcy” might be based on illusory assumptions.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31976-0/fulltext

More information on the chemical composition of the Pfizer vaccine ingredients:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...list-nothing-too-surprising-there/6520511002/

Thanks for the list of ingredients. The one ingredient that might give me trouble is PEG (polyethylene glycol). This is the ingredient that is in Miralax and one time when I took that for a colonoscopy I broke out in a rash and was told never to take it again (I have to take a different foul tasting thing for colonoscopies now). But I just had a rash from PEG not anaphylactic shock so maybe I could risk it for the vaccine. All very confusing and concerning to me.

Thanks for the list of ingredients. The one ingredient that might give me trouble is PEG (polyethylene glycol). This is the ingredient that is in Miralax and one time when I took that for a colonoscopy I broke out in a rash and was told never to take it again (I have to take a different foul tasting thing for colonoscopies now). But I just had a rash from PEG not anaphylactic shock so maybe I could risk it for the vaccine. All very confusing and concerning to me.

You are welcome!
Note that Miralax is almost 100% PEG, normal dose for Miralax is 17g, which is 340,000x times what's in the vaccine.

But best to run it by your doctor to be on the safe side.

You are welcome!
Note that Miralax is almost 100% PEG, normal dose for Miralax is 17g, which is 340,000x times what's in the vaccine.

But best to run it by your doctor to be on the safe side.

I will do that! I wonder what ingredient caused the problem for the Pfizer vaccine takers in the UK.

PEG is also known as "anti-freeze" :LOL:

My dad worked at the bottom of trenches with dry ice or liquid CO2. (This was to freeze pipes, creating a plug, so they could be repaired.) He had a few close calls since CO2 also puddles in low areas.

The dry ice thing thing, and possible shortages, has implications. It got me thinking about food shipping. Some companies use dry ice in their shipping. Could they get locked out of the market?

Up here in the Cheese State people are concerned about cheese supplies since the manufacturers use dry ice to store and ship cheese. I would rather go without a vaccine than go without cheese.

Last edited:
The vaccine may be stored at regular refrigerator temperature for up to 5 days, but must be used before the 5 days are up or the vaccine is no good. Also, the second dose of the COVID vaccine must be given after 3 weeks, but doesn’t have to be given at exactly 3 weeks after the first dose. Most vaccines are shipped in containers with dry ice. What is unusual and difficult is that there are so many doses being shipped at the same time. The vaccine can be kept on dry ice until moved to the refrigerator just before it is given.

Reminds me of the oral Typhoid vaccine we were given to take home just before our trip to Africa. As I recall, it was kept in the refrigerator, but only for about 10 days, with a pill to be taken every other day. After 10 days it was to be discarded. Presumably it was still good enough to work on day 9 :D

The vaccine may be stored at regular refrigerator temperature for up to 5 days, but must be used before the 5 days are up or the vaccine is no good. Also, the second dose of the COVID vaccine must be given after 3 weeks, but doesn’t have to be given at exactly 3 weeks after the first dose. Most vaccines are shipped in containers with dry ice. What is unusual and difficult is that there are so many doses being shipped at the same time. The vaccine can be kept on dry ice until moved to the refrigerator just before it is given.

GP clinics get the vaccines in the UK today and start inoculation of the over 80’s outside of care homes and hospitals. Unlike the flu vaccine it is apparently not “grab, stab, thank you ‘mam, next patient”. They are going to be keeping the patient for 15 minutes in case of after effects, and take the opportunity to do a quick health checkup.

They will be open 7 days a week 8 to 8.

Pfizer started shipping out vaccine doses in the US today from Michigan to all 50 states. Quantities are proportional to adult population in each state. People can start getting the vaccine tomorrow (subject to whatever plan your state has for prioritization).

Pfizer started shipping out vaccine doses in the US today from Michigan to all 50 states. Quantities are proportional to adult population in each state. People can start getting the vaccine tomorrow (subject to whatever plan your state has for prioritization).
Already giving shots today at least in NY & FL to health care workers. Great!

Already giving shots today at least in NY & FL to health care workers. Great!

Same here, at Ochsner Hospital New Orleans, which is about 3 miles away. After they have all the top priority people (hospital and nursing home employees/residents) vaccinated they can start vaccinating others but that will probably take a while.

Our governor said a few days ago that we are prepared to vaccinate enough to use up whatever vaccine we get, within 48 hours of getting it.

I am hearing they are starting the vaccine of medical workers at the UNC hospital near me but so far they have less than half of what they need scheduled for delivery.

Same here, at Ochsner Hospital which is about 3 miles away. It will be a while before they have all the top priority people (hospital and nursing home employees/residents) vaccinated and can start vaccinating others.

Our governor said a few days ago that we are prepared to vaccinate enough to use up whatever vaccine we get, within 48 hours of getting it.
That's great. As someone posted somewhere earlier, we ought to have more people in at each location ready to go than we have doses in order to use every last drop.

Seems a good thing the more storage sensitive Pfizer one is coming out first where it can go to fewer more controllable locations like hospitals & nursing homes vs. pharmacies which could be a bit more lax/problematic.

Heck, if the surveys are right and 35-40% of the population are anti-vaxxers when it comes to COVID, us healthy fifty-somethings might even be able to get our first shots in April, or even sooner! :dance:
My guess is that once this gets going people will start to feel competition for getting the vaccine, and the "i dont want its" will tend to disappear unless there are some pretty bad outcomes.

Ha

Last edited:
I am hearing they are starting the vaccine of medical workers at the UNC hospital near me but so far they have less than half of what they need scheduled for delivery.
There's bound to be a bit of a ramp-up curve. And no matter how much is produced, there will be higher demand than available for several months at least. I.e., there will be complaints.

One issue at my local hospital--they are short of staff so they are going to vaccinate only a portion of the medical workers at a time so that if some of them have to be out of work due to side affects it will not be a major problem. It could a few days to use all this batch of first doses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom