Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 05:34 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is an exceptionally well-written message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
I pulled this from reddit tonight, its dated 2 days ago and says it was the message sent out to employees at Veterans Affairs Med Ctrs
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Full Message:

“Today I want to spend a little more time talking about the vaccine that we hope will be approved in the next few days.

We have been working closely with the Centers for Disease Control vaccine approval group, as well as the Food and Drug Administration. We have also participated in research on the vaccine and are hoping to get final direction about its distribution over the weekend. There will be many logistics and details to consider as we move towards vaccinations.

We have 37 sites, and more than 80 of the extreme cold freezers, ready for the Pfizer vaccine. Two freezers are currently in each VISN and one is in Puerto Rico to receive and store it at the required -70 degree refrigeration. This vaccine is more difficult to transport and store because it requires such a low temperature and presents additional challenges to distribution as it is boxed in 1,000-dose lots. You can read more about our initial distribution plans here.

The second vaccine we anticipate is from Moderna, and only requires -20 degree refrigeration. We have almost 200 freezers across the network that can accept these. As we continue to discuss these over the coming weeks, I want you to understand some of the challenges we will face in getting the vaccines to remote and lower-population areas that need it.

Once the vaccine arrives at the 37 selected VA Medical Centers, we will start vaccinating our Veteran patients and health care personnel in Community Living Centers and Spinal Cord Injury and Disorder Centers. In that same wave, we will also vaccinate ICU and ER personnel, and will vaccinate additional Veterans at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 after health care personnel have been offered vaccine.

Your facility will notify you when the vaccine is available for you and provide information on how to schedule a vaccination. As we learn more, I will continue to communicate with you about how we distribute the vaccine. We are building a central hub for Veterans with vaccine-specific information, including a tool to help them stay informed about VA’s vaccine distribution efforts. More information will be shared with you in the coming weeks on these resources.

These vaccines are different from previous ones in that instead of being a non-infectious version of the virus, they use messenger RNA to activate your immune system to combat COVID-19. The testing has shown the vaccines are extraordinarily safe and I look forward to discussing this with you more.

I encourage you to research and continue gathering information as you make your decision. I hope that we are approaching the end of this pandemic, thanks to these extraordinary new vaccines, but appreciate that we have several months of continued hard work ahead of us.

I am eager to continue a dialogue with each of you as these vaccines become available, so please let me know what you think. Thank you. Have a great day."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2020, 05:36 AM   #122
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I understand the FDA issued guidance yesterday on who should not take the Pfizer vaccine (regarding people with allergies, pregnant and breastfeeding women, teenagers, etc) but I have not been able to find the guidance. Has anyone seen this?
Is there FDA or CDC guidance on this? Here’s an article by Statnews discussing the vaccine and allergies. https://www.statnews.com/2020/12/12/...ction-history/
Old 12-13-2020, 07:13 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's an article that discusses problems with the vaccines. More people problems than actual vaccine problems. It lists 9 possible problem points.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/221...ects-two-doses
Old 12-13-2020, 07:16 AM   #124
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
If I was in charge of administering I would have 110 ppl queued up fir every batch of 100 i planned on administering to allow to absentee and changed minds. Zero waste tolerance on this
Good thought imo but I'd tell 101-110 of the risk of not getting.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:18 AM   #125
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
However it’s distributed, I’m just so grateful we are talking about an approved, safe, effective and soon to be available vaccine! It’s so much nicer a discussion than mask wearing fights, case and death counts, and concerns over social distancing perspectives.

These last 9 months I’ve tried not to be gripped by fear, nor have I been completely free wheeling it out in public. But it’s a balance I’m happy to admit I’m sick of making. I remember not that long ago reading threads with speculation that a vaccine might not even be possible, much less this quickly. Now here it is, with more closely following.

Without a vaccine, there simply was no path to really getting rid of this thing. So, IMHO, a vaccine was all that ultimately really mattered. Thank goodness it’s here. If there were no vaccine on the horizon, I suspect I’d have made the decision shortly to just reopen my life and take my chances. Again, I’m grateful that’s not necessary. In my book, operation warp speed was a success even Captain Kirk would be proud of. YMMV
I doubt the vaccine gets "rid" of it due to those who won't take it.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:23 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Polio and measles proved that.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks for this. My mother, my sisters and I have serious allergy problems. My mother is the worst--twice she unknowingly at something with a nut she is very allergic to and had to be rushed to the hospital. In the before EpiPen days I was with her when she went into shock--doctor in hospital said she might have died had I not gotten her to the hospital so fast. However, she has been able to take vaccines like Shingrix, flu and pneumonia with no problem. So her severe allergy problem is definitely linked to a specific food.

I, on the other hand, have an allergy to aspirin. I have never gone into shock but break out in a rash and have had my lips swell from aspirin (it has been years since I touched aspirin or anything related). I do carry an epipen (but the one I have is expired--need to get another, they are expensive).

So I need to learn more about the Covid vaccine and allergies. If anyone sees anything more on this topic please let me know.

More information on the chemical composition of the Pfizer vaccine ingredients:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...re/6520511002/

Quote:
Active Ingredient
30 mcg of a nucleosidemodified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike (S) glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2.

Fats
lipids (0.43 mg (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 0.05 mg 2[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 0.09 mg 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3- phosphocholine, and 0.2 mg cholesterol)

Salts
0.01 mg potassium chloride
0.01 mg monobasic potassium phosphate
0.36 mg sodium chloride
0.07 mg dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate

Sugar
6 mg sucrose
Old 12-13-2020, 07:35 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
It doesn't matter. The vaccine by itself may not get rid of the virus.

Quote:
These observations suggest that we cannot assume COVID-19 vaccines, even if shown to be effective in reducing severity of disease, will reduce virus transmission to a comparable degree. The notion that COVID-19-vaccine-induced population immunity will allow a return to pre-COVID-19 “normalcy” might be based on illusory assumptions.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...976-0/fulltext
Old 12-13-2020, 07:44 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is there FDA or CDC guidance on this? Here’s an article by Statnews discussing the vaccine and allergies. https://www.statnews.com/2020/12/12/...ction-history/
Michael, thanks for that Article, it is helpful but I thought I understood that the FDA was coming out with the "official" guidance on who should and should not take the vaccine.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:54 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-NoGo View Post
More information on the chemical composition of the Pfizer vaccine ingredients:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...re/6520511002/
Thanks for the list of ingredients. The one ingredient that might give me trouble is PEG (polyethylene glycol). This is the ingredient that is in Miralax and one time when I took that for a colonoscopy I broke out in a rash and was told never to take it again (I have to take a different foul tasting thing for colonoscopies now). But I just had a rash from PEG not anaphylactic shock so maybe I could risk it for the vaccine. All very confusing and concerning to me.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:06 AM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks for the list of ingredients. The one ingredient that might give me trouble is PEG (polyethylene glycol). This is the ingredient that is in Miralax and one time when I took that for a colonoscopy I broke out in a rash and was told never to take it again (I have to take a different foul tasting thing for colonoscopies now). But I just had a rash from PEG not anaphylactic shock so maybe I could risk it for the vaccine. All very confusing and concerning to me.
You are welcome!
Note that Miralax is almost 100% PEG, normal dose for Miralax is 17g, which is 340,000x times what's in the vaccine.

But best to run it by your doctor to be on the safe side.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are welcome!
Note that Miralax is almost 100% PEG, normal dose for Miralax is 17g, which is 340,000x times what's in the vaccine.

But best to run it by your doctor to be on the safe side.
I will do that! I wonder what ingredient caused the problem for the Pfizer vaccine takers in the UK.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Here's an article that discusses problems with the vaccines. More people problems than actual vaccine problems. It lists 9 possible problem points.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/221...ects-two-doses
Thanks for sharing this perspective. I found it interesting and appreciated the risk ratings.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #134

PEG is also known as "anti-freeze"
Old 12-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
My dad worked at the bottom of trenches with dry ice or liquid CO2. (This was to freeze pipes, creating a plug, so they could be repaired.) He had a few close calls since CO2 also puddles in low areas.

The dry ice thing thing, and possible shortages, has implications. It got me thinking about food shipping. Some companies use dry ice in their shipping. Could they get locked out of the market?
Up here in the Cheese State people are concerned about cheese supplies since the manufacturers use dry ice to store and ship cheese. I would rather go without a vaccine than go without cheese.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:25 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
They have to store the vaccine at -70C, and it's administered at ~5C, so I'm guessing the anti-freeze properties of PEG are exactly the reason it's included in the formulation.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You might be thinking of Ethylene Glycol (EG) - which is used in anti-freeze solutions and is toxic and can be fatal if ingested in sufficient quantities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol

EG = will kill you if you ingest it.
PEG = will give you the the runs. !

Old 12-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #138

The vaccine may be stored at regular refrigerator temperature for up to 5 days, but must be used before the 5 days are up or the vaccine is no good. Also, the second dose of the COVID vaccine must be given after 3 weeks, but doesn’t have to be given at exactly 3 weeks after the first dose. Most vaccines are shipped in containers with dry ice. What is unusual and difficult is that there are so many doses being shipped at the same time. The vaccine can be kept on dry ice until moved to the refrigerator just before it is given.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #139

Quote:
You might be thinking of ethylene glycol - which is used in anti-freeze solutions and is toxic and can be fatal if ingested in sufficient quantities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol

EG = will kill you if you ingest it.
PEG = will give you the the runs. !

Kinda funny with your moniker...

PEG = GO
EG = No go (aka dead)

omni
Old 12-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post