Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #1741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
My big worry with the mutating Covid, is that by the time I can get a shot, a new vaccine will be out for the newer Covid, and the line will start over.

This thing is mutating faster than we can vaccinate
I don't mean to be a downer, but I am a bit discouraged by this as well. I heard the UK variant has already mutated... Hopefully, the vaccine I will receive has some protection against the new variants and a booster shot or another vaccine to fully cover different variants will follow soon after...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #1742
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I doubt you’ll notice anything the first afternoon other than injection site if that.
I think you're right. Maybe a little soreness when I move the injected arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I think you'll be fine after shot #1.

Some people have noticed a dull headache even while waiting in the 15-min. post-shot waiting zone.

My sister said her prime rib dinner afterwards tasted funny. I had the same meal and it was fine.

My Bro-in-law had a tender/sore arm for 3 days following shot #1.

All 3 of us will be getting shot #2 this afternoon.

omni
Yep nothing so far. Everyone in our 15 minute zone looked ok. Our place was running like a well oiled machine. Lots of volunteers and 10 vaccine stations. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

Good luck to the 3 of you for no soreness on shot 2!
Old 02-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #1743
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so depressed. Was able to get first dose of vaccine on 1/21 but can't seem to book an appointment for the 2nd dose which is due on 2/11. I now I'm wondering if I even want it. The news is so negative, CNN says not to travel, eat in restaurants, etc even if you have had both doses and sounds like the vaccine is not even going to be effective against all the various variants. This is never going to end.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I'm so depressed. Was able to get first dose of vaccine on 1/21 but can't seem to book an appointment for the 2nd dose which is due on 2/11. I now I'm wondering if I even want it. The news is so negative, CNN says not to travel, eat in restaurants, etc even if you have had both doses and sounds like the vaccine is not even going to be effective against all the various variants. This is never going to end.
It's unusual that your second wasn't scheduled when you got your first? Either way, it's not bad if it happens later than the 3-4 week window.

I think a lot of the news (which I don't watch or listen to, just read a little), is intentionally a bit over cautious because well... the other variants sure, but also, until we get to herd immunity and the rates go down it's better to be safer.

Most of the early research says these existing vaccines should still be pretty darn effective, if not 95% still far better than I'd have hoped for a year ago.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #1745
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
It's unusual that your second wasn't scheduled when you got your first? Either way, it's not bad if it happens later than the 3-4 week window.

I think a lot of the news (which I don't watch or listen to, just read a little), is intentionally a bit over cautious because well... the other variants sure, but also, until we get to herd immunity and the rates go down it's better to be safer.

Most of the early research says these existing vaccines should still be pretty darn effective, if not 95% still far better than I'd have hoped for a year ago.
^ This.

Plus I've seen a number of reports saying even if the vaccines prove to be less effective against the variants, they will almost certainly reduce your chances of becoming seriously ill should you contract Covid.

Please keep trying to get that second dose.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
UK says new study vindicates delaying 2nd virus vaccine shot
Old 02-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #1746

UK says new study vindicates delaying 2nd virus vaccine shot

Quote:
It sounds like you might be fine. even though you got a different vaccine, here is some information: "Britain’s health chief has hailed a new study suggesting that a single dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine provides a high level of protection for 12 weeks, saying it supports the government’s contentious strategy of delaying the second shot so it can protect more people quickly with a first dose.

Britain’s decision has been criticized as risky by other European countries, but Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Wednesday that the study “backs the strategy that we’ve taken and it shows the world that the Oxford vaccine works effectively.”

https://apnews.com/article/uk-study-...fc6ca798aff1a7

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 02-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #1747

Quote:
I'm so depressed. Was able to get first dose of vaccine on 1/21 but can't seem to book an appointment for the 2nd dose which is due on 2/11. I now I'm wondering if I even want it.
AstraZeneca is saying that at least for their vaccine, it’s MORE effective when the second dose is given later.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:22 PM   #1748

Quote:
I have a friend that got her first dose at a provider that is no longer giving vaccines for some reason. So she could not get a second dose appt. So she just signed up for a first dose appt at a vaccine site giving the same kind of vaccine she had for her first and off she went. Probably not the way it is suppose to work but it worked for her.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #1749
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
It sounds like you might be fine. even though you got a different vaccine, here is some information: "Britain’s health chief has hailed a new study suggesting that a single dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine provides a high level of protection for 12 weeks, saying it supports the government’s contentious strategy of delaying the second shot so it can protect more people quickly with a first dose.

Britain’s decision has been criticized as risky by other European countries, but Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Wednesday that the study “backs the strategy that we’ve taken and it shows the world that the Oxford vaccine works effectively.”

https://apnews.com/article/uk-study-...fc6ca798aff1a7
This is for specifically for the AstraZeneca vaccine. However, some delay in getting a second dose is not of great concern.

We made sure DH had a second appointment, and most everyone I’ve talked to was given a second appointment at their first dose.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
AstraZeneca is saying that at least for their vaccine, it’s MORE effective when the second dose is given later.
When you think about it, it's quite unlikely that covid-19 vaccine makers hit the optimum time gap between shots at least as far as the maximum gap acceptable. That's because trying to evaluate long gaps would take far too much time to accomplish when it was so critical to get the vaccines out as quickly as possible. The recommended time gaps are probably just enough to provide the benefits associated with the two shot approach. I've had my first shot and have my second shot scheduled for the 28 days afterward considered proper for the Moderna vaccine. But it would not concern me greatly if that second shot was delayed a couple extra weeks insofar as the ultimate degree of protection is concerned. I also think the variants, while troubling, shouldn't induce despair. The existing vaccines will likely still pretty much eliminate the threat of serious disease or death while effective boosters are developed. Meanwhile, a significant reduction in infections will also significantly reduce the viral mutation rate and thus slow the development of vaccine resistant variants. We will get this pandemic under control!
Old 02-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #1751
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm hunkered down in the Austin area for a few months, and the chaos here is mind-boggling. The Public Health authority has a registration system that is total chaos -- and the screening questions go on for 10 pages online!

The local news reported today that roughly half of the residents of the Austin SMSA fall in categories 1A and 1B -- so more than 500,000 people are currently "eligible" for vaccinations. At the current rate, the report noted, it will take 10 months to get through 1A and 1B, if everyone wants a jab.

I've been following Austin's NextDoor community. Folks are alerting when appointments open up at the mega-sites (and they are gone within minutes). A spreadsheet is circulating which lists all the vaccine hubs within a 2-hour drive with instructions on how to get on the waitlists. Some folks are on more than a dozen lists scattered around the state.

Fancy a 800 mile r/t roadtrip? Twice? Vaccine appointments are available in Pecos, far west Texas....

One person posted yesterday that she had monitored local sites starting at 6:00am, and after refreshing 97 times (every five minutes) snagged an appointment in March for her 80yo DF.

Other people, entrepreneurial, will monitor vaccine sites and book your appointment, for a price.

This is almost beyond comprehension.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #1752
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I agree although I am pleased that the extra vaccines did not go to waste. It seems that medical facilities, knowing they can never estimate how many employees will decline, should have a standby list. It may have been understandable in December but not now.

In my healthcare facility, they were contacting all employees before we ever got the vaccine to see who wanted the vaccine and who declined. Once the vaccine arrived, I just had to call an extension to set a time to go get it.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #1753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
DW and I were talking about the whole Covid/vaccination thing last night. Considering that the virus has mutated several times already, we're pondering whether we'll be looking forward to a seasonal Covid shot, just like the flu.

Actually, quite a few months back, some experts were saying they didn't know how long the immunity developed from the vaccine would last and that it may require a yearly booster. And that was when most of the comments regarding mutations were about how slowly coronaviruses mutate. The mutations we are seeing now just make it that much more likely for the need for boosters sooner rather than later until we get this thing under control, and it's a global problem, and we have a long way to go.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:07 PM   #1754

DW goes for her first dose on Friday. I had mine on Monday, and I will delay my 2nd shot so we can both go at the same time. The site is 30 miles away, but that is not a big deal out here in the boonies.
Covid Vaccine Distribution
Old 02-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #1755
Give me a forum ...

Covid Vaccine Distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca

Never get medical advice from CNN or any of the big media outlets. They are notoriously unreliable, IMO. You can bet that all their executives and news people are getting their vaccine shots and ignoring their own negative spin in their reports.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #1756
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes indeed. Heartwarming and also a great example of purpose and determination.
True! About 75% determination and 25% desperation . Because the same factors that make the vaccine hard to distribute also make receiving health care equally as difficult.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #1757

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Don't the healthcare workers have to make an appointment for the vaccine like everyone else? They do in my county, if they don't want it and aren't making an appointment it shouldn't result in unused vaccines. I'm sure there could be some last minute appointment no shows, most places have a standby list to deal with that.
My brother called it a medical center but it was actually a nursing/pharmacy college or health science unit and the 300 Moderna vaccines were their first shipment of vaccines intended for staff and students in a clinical environment but then extended to 1A and 1B "community members" at the last minute. There are several campuses across west Texas and each seems to be a little different. For example, one campus just had dates and times you could show up for your second dose such as Feb 8 8am to 1 pm - no actual appointment time. Dates were over several days. How do they know how much of the vaccine to thaw out without having leftovers?

I don't live in Texas but in my state, hospitals administered vaccines to their healthcare staff and many staff members declined resulting in extra doses that were given out to others - usually teachers, police department, etc. but no actual standby list. This was early on.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #1758

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
^ This.

Plus I've seen a number of reports saying even if the vaccines prove to be less effective against the variants, they will almost certainly reduce your chances of becoming seriously ill should you contract Covid.

Please keep trying to get that second dose.
The percentage number they publicized from the trials (95%, etc) was the protection an unvaccinated person was likely to get from seeing symptoms. Any symptoms. But the protection against bad symptoms is higher. And protection from a dirt-nap is much higher. None of the variants are "escapes", so while the effectiveness % for symptoms against the emerging variants is lower, it's not the end point I'm most concerned about. I can feel bad for a few days and still celebrate having been vaccinated, because the alternative may have been dire, indeed.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #1759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm up at 11:40 CST. I wonder when the symptoms start and how bad they are. I'd like to go buy some hardware / supplies immediately after and then do some woodworking this afternoon.
Slight shoulder pain at shot site started yesterday afternoon. Still some this morning but this is a minor annoyance that doesn't interfere with any activity. if your response is similar you'll be able to shop and work all you want.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #1760
Give me a forum ...

Earlier Dr. Gottlieb was optimistic we'd have good rollout by April. It seemed to make sense to me.

I'm not so sure anymore. I thought J & J was going to hit us with a large tranche early on, due to the risk absorption of "warp speed." But now it appears that their distribution commitment will be more back loaded to the end of the time, which is June.(1)

Meanwhile, AstraZeneca's approval in the US is lagging. So, who knows when? And then it appears (to this Yank) that France has rolled back a few centuries and wants to skirmish with England by pooh-poohing the AZ vaccine.(2)

So, yeah, I feel for all you who are in the approved groups, trying to scramble for a limited resource. Just keep in mind, this problem is much bigger than now. It looks like this is going to be a rocky-rollout until Fall, at which time there will be a scramble for updated vaccines for the new variants. So, becca, add me as a friend to your depressed list. I'm right there with you.

(1) https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/...ry-commitments

(2) https://www.bbc.com/news/55919245

Closed Thread