Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
AZ just made everyone +55 eligible for the vaccine, was able to snag an appointment at the Safeway pharmacy for my first shot tomorrow.

Indiana did the same thing...I'm 59 and mine is scheduled for March 11th. Trying to "snag" a cancellation by calling every day.

Oh man - I’m 61 and not yet eligible!
Really? I thought TX dropped the mask mandate because they were way ahead of vaccinating their people...? Maybe their hospitalization rate is way down. I haven't been keeping up with the news at the state level...

That's a big win for you! Excellent.

That gets me wondering whether NC will have such a policy (I'm totally uninformed about such things because I was going to wait to be told by Novant that "it's time").

I "registered" on the Novant portal, so I presume they'd contact me when "it's time", but if I can jump on a grocery or pharmacy site and snag an appointment, I'd do it.

I wonder if our resident NC vaccination sleuth has heard anything.

NC Gov Cooper announced this afternoon that starting 3/3 all "front line essential workers" can be vaccinated. On 3/24 anyone with a "medical condition that puts you at higher risk or who lives in certain congregate settings" can get the vaccine.

So it does not look like NC is opening up for those over 55/60 unless you are a frontline worker, have a medical condition that puts you at high risk or are in prison. Not sure how you prove your employment or that you are at high risk. I will keep my eye out for any info on that and report back. Anyone older than 65 and teachers are already able to get the vaccine in NC and continue to be able to do so.

Anyone living in NC who is in the approved groups and who is having trouble finding a vaccination appointment let me know and I can give you some suggestions of where to look.

Really? I thought TX dropped the mask mandate because they were way ahead of vaccinating their people...? Maybe their hospitalization rate is way down. I haven't been keeping up with the news at the state level...
Uh, no. Only 6.8% of Texans have had two doses according to the NY Times. It's been limited to 65+ and those with severe medical conditions, as well as medical workers, etc. So TX is no where close to enough people vaccinated yet.

I can't get vaccinated yet, but now all covid restrictions are lifted?

Last edited:
DH and I just got appts for this Thursday and next Thursday (respectively). We are both 65 and this age group was cleared for vaccines as of 3/1. Appts had been filling up within 5 min of notification up until today. It had actually been over an hour since the notification and a fair amount of appts were still available.

So, we're happy about that. Hot tip for us was following the local health dept on Facebook..

In other news, I asked at the grocery store when we could start bringing our own shopping bags again and they said this had been fine since October!! Whaaattt:confused: How did I miss that?!!

So, I'm looking forward to reducing my plastic bag intake...

Last edited:
NC Gov Cooper announced this afternoon that starting 3/3 all "front line essential workers" can be vaccinated. On 3/24 anyone with a "medical condition that puts you at higher risk or who lives in certain congregate settings" can get the vaccine.

So it does not look like NC is opening up for those over 55/60 unless you are a frontline worker, have a medical condition that puts you at high risk or are in prison. Not sure how you prove your employment or that you are at high risk. I will keep my eye out for any info on that and report back. Anyone older than 65 and teachers are already able to get the vaccine in NC and continue to be able to do so.

Anyone living in NC who is in the approved groups and who is having trouble finding a vaccination appointment let me know and I can give you some suggestions of where to look.

Just found out that NC will operate on the "honor system" regarding whether someone is a "front line essential worker" or has a medical condition that puts you at "higher risk". Let your conscience be your guide.

Last edited:
Finally got DW and MIL scheduled for their first Moderna dose this Saturday. MIL has entered the phase where she tries to refuse all medical appointments, so getting her vaccinated will be a struggle. She said that she doesn't need the vaccine - her flu shot is enough to take out Covid.

Ronstar I wonder if your MIL would take the vaccine if you told her she would get paid for taking the vaccine--maybe $100 or something and you hand her a $100 bill as she walks into the vaccination site.

One more thing about the latest vaccine distribution rules in NC (and then I will shut up I promise) --if you are a volunteer doing a front line essential worker job (like working at a food bank, homeless shelter, etc) you now qualify to get the vaccine in NC.

Last edited:
Uh, no. Only 6.8% of Texans have had two doses according to the NY Times. It's been limited to 65+ and those with severe medical conditions, as well as medical workers, etc. So TX is no where close to enough people vaccinated yet.

I can't get vaccinated yet, but now all covid restrictions are lifted?

Vaccinations really depend on where you live. I live in Tarrant county. That county has Fort Worth and a gazillion smaller cities. I read an article the other day about which cities in the county have the highest vaccination rate. Overall, the more affluent areas have the highest rates. I live in one of those areas. In fact, my little town has the highest rate of vaccination in the entire county. It was something like 23% (I assume that is first shot but if you have your first shot you will get your second).

Anyway -- what is galling to a lot of people is that many of the suburban cities like mine were quite mask resistant. When the County first ordered a mask mandate (before the Governor did) the City refused to enforce it. They only enforced it after the Governor ordered it. Lots of people are going into restaurants, etc. But, they followed the mask mandate by and large. This city between has had a little over 10% of the population diagnosed with Covid. But the great bulk of that was between December and January. Lots of people celebrated with others over holidays and many people went on trips.

What galls some people about my area having high vaccination rates is that many feel that this area has largely chosen to live recklessly and they haven't been responsible except for following the mask mandate.

There is some truth to that. Although there are plenty of people here who have been careful from the start. And, I don't feel the County unfairly prioritized vaccinating my city. It is just that people here easily navigated the web page and signed up as soon as they could. That is, many people who are against the mask mandate are nonetheless anxious to get vaccinated....

Three months from now, one of two possible groups will look like a bunch of idiots-
1. The politicians and citizens who think it's safe to reopen now.
or
2. The press and medical people who say we are going to have another horrible wave.

Stay tuned...

Ronstar I wonder if your MIL would take the vaccine if you told her she would get paid for taking the vaccine--maybe $100 or something and you hand her a $100 bill as she walks into the vaccination site.

That would work. But I did tell her that people who do not get vaccinated will have to pay more income tax. That got her attention.

One more thing about NC and group 4....the pre-existing conditions list is quite long. I qualify for two of the items on that list. DW qualifies for 1. Can’t wait until the 24th!

Three months from now, one of two possible groups will look like a bunch of idiots-
or
2. The press and medical people who say we are going to have another horrible wave.

Stay tuned...

While I agree I think we will see another wave from spring break. Good news is for the most part this is in your hands. If you mask and avoid groups and don't go inside establishments you are somewhat safe. If you go to bars and eat inside at restaurants and go to spring break parties you are much more likely to get an infection. Simple as that till you get the jab. IMHO

Just found out that NC will operate on the "honor system" regarding whether someone is a "front line essential worker" or has a medical condition that puts you at "higher risk". Let your conscience be your guide.
How did that conscience thing work during the food hoarding months?

Been trying to get an appointment for DW at CVS and Walgreens (Thanks for the link sengsational). She is signed up with the Fairfax County (Northern VA) Health list but no idea when she will get the call for appointment. At CVS you click on a state and it lists all the sites - all not available except for a 4 hour one way drive - and then availability. Walgreens just asks you to input the city and checks for 25 miles from there. I don't know all the choices so just trying all the different cities around here but no joy. Anyone have ideas where else I can try ? She is 68 and VA is doing over 65 now.

Thanks in advance

Been trying to get an appointment for DW at CVS and Walgreens (Thanks for the link sengsational). She is signed up with the Fairfax County (Northern VA) Health list but no idea when she will get the call for appointment. At CVS you click on a state and it lists all the sites - all not available except for a 4 hour one way drive - and then availability. Walgreens just asks you to input the city and checks for 25 miles from there. I don't know all the choices so just trying all the different cities around here but no joy. Anyone have ideas where else I can try ? She is 68 and VA is doing over 65 now.

Thanks in advance

Don't give up hope doses are coming on line rapidly. I'm in fairly rural MN and until about a week ago it was a goat rope looking for a spot. Since then, I can choose from the local drugstore (where we got ours on the 15th)...the local clinic which went from "selecting" people to come one and come all, my county public health and the local fire department. It's coming sooner rather then later. The bad news is you have to keep looking constantly.

For example the only reason I know the local clinic changed their procedure is because of one FB post they did yestereday. Good luck.

Don't give up hope doses are coming on line rapidly. I'm in fairly rural MN and until about a week ago it was a goat rope looking for a spot. Since then, I can choose from the local drugstore (where we got ours on the 15th)...the local clinic which went from "selecting" people to come one and come all, my county public health and the local fire department. It's coming sooner rather then later. The bad news is you have to keep looking constantly.

For example the only reason I know the local clinic changed their procedure is because of one FB post they did yestereday. Good luck.

I was able to snag one for Saturday in Clarksville VA about 4 hours away. At least we will have this done. Also got 2nd appt at the same time, same place. So we have been stuck in the house for a year this will be our date night. :LOL::facepalm:

Received an email from our PCP's office saying they had vaccine for 60+. DW called and we have a 11:00 tomorrow for our first dose of Moderna. We have an appointment for our second dose on 4/1.

Texas has dropped the mask mandate and has announced it will be 100% open for business starting later next week.

Behind this decision, I see the familiar manipulating hand of a certain Texan who routinely brings up hurricanes and poisonous critters. It's part of his plan to discourage people from certain states (You know who you are.) who may move to Texas. And to drive people back to where they came from.

Back to the topic.....

The Guv has opened up Phase 1B to teachers and other child care workers. This seems to be part of a plan to get teachers and their unions to get back to work in the classroom. They are going to allocate more vaccine to drugstores to make it easier to get the shot. But, I doubt if there is any actual increase in the number of doses currently planned for our state.

Last edited:
Texas has dropped the mask mandate and has announced it will be 100% open for business starting later next week.

Behind this decision, I see the familiar manipulating hand of a certain Texan who routinely brings up hurricanes and poisonous critters. It's part of his plan to discourage people from certain states (You know who you are.) who may move to Texas. And to drive people back to where they came from.

We know it isn't Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine or The Lone Ranger, since they all wear masks. Ted Cruz maybe? :)

or

Stay tuned...

Probably not. I have been following a Twitter account that has been showing the COVID stories from last year in real time. It is quite enlightening to see how much the "experts" *and* "politicians" didn't know much of anything. Even Faucci said some stuff that sounds absolutely ridiculous just a year later, but most are getting a pass since it's...well, a novel virus and what they learn about it changes by the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Florida is now doing this, too. Police and front-liners over 50 can get vaccinated at Publix supermarkets - but Publix won't ask if you're really a cop, only if you're over 50 (show your DL).

The police are not pleased. Neither am I since I am not fond of lying, or liars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom