Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of medical people who have taken the Pfizer vaccine in the UK have gone into serious allergic shock and they are now saying people who have had serious allergic reactions to medicine should not take this vaccine.

I wonder why this wasn't discovered during the phase III trials involving 10,000+ people receiving the shots. Wouldn't at least a few of those people have had the same kind of serious allergic reaction? Seems like if it's common enough to have happened already in only day 2 of the UK's vaccination rollout, it would have shown up in the phase III trials. Puzzling.

EDIT TO ADD: OK, I just read an article that said Pfizer excluded anyone with a prior history of extreme allergic reactions to other vaccines from their phase III trials. And even with those people excluded, there was a 0.63% incidence of allergic reaction among the vaccination group. So I guess this is/was expected in a small percentage of the general population.

I just looked at the ingredients of the Pfizer vaccine to see if there were any obvious things my DM and I would be allergic to. There is a list of things with chemical compounds so who knows about those. Then there is salt and sugar so those should be no problem. The vaccine is preservative free ( I guess that is why the doses need to be refrigerated). It is impossible for a person with known allergies to know if they will be allergic. I guess that is why they are saying anyone with severe allergies should not take it.

I read somewhere last night that the 2 individuals that suffered anaphalaxis had carried their own epipens with them to the vacinnation, telling me they were already at risk and knew it if they carried around epipens.

Also, spoke with a family member and he said his facility which i wont name had vaccines inhouse already under lock and key. This conversation was yesterday with info from the day prior.

Edited to add: I reviewed a summary document from the Dept Veterans Affairs today on vaccine priorities (still kinda vague but they did carve out and talk about minorities). Here it is if anyone else wants to see
https://content.govdelivery.com/att...accineAwareness_120220_Approved and Final.pdf

Last edited:
I read somewhere last night that the 2 individuals that suffered anaphalaxis had carried their own epipens with them to the vacinnation, telling me they were already at risk and knew it if they carried around epipens.

Also, spoke with a family member and he said his facility which i wont name had vaccines inhouse already under lock and key. This conversation was yesterday with info from the day prior.

Edited to add: I reviewed a summary document from the Dept Veterans Affairs today on vaccine priorities (still kinda vague but they did carve out and talk about minorities). Here it is if anyone else wants to see
https://content.govdelivery.com/att...accineAwareness_120220_Approved and Final.pdf

My DM and I both carry epipens (mother for tree nuts and chocolate allergy and me for aspirin and peanuts allergy) so I guess that rules us out for
the Pfizer vaccine at this time.

It is not a secret that the first tranche has been distributed and ready to go. It just needs approval.

Hospitals put most drugs under lock and key these days.

It is not a secret that the first tranche has been distributed and ready to go. It just needs approval.

Hospitals put most drugs under lock and key these days.

In Switzerland--the always cautious nation--the government is turning over the supplies of vaccine to the military for safekeeping in undisclosed locations before distribution.

Given that some of our fighter jets have hidden hangars carved out of obscure mountain sides in case of invasion, I would suspect that these hidden locations are absolutely unfindable. I just hope someone writes it down.

-BB

I am glad to hear that the vaccine is being safeguarded. I am sure there would be a huge blackmarket if any of the vaccines are stolen.

I just can't see the blackmarket for Covid being good.
People are already leary.

Ya, I kept it at -100*, it's really good $h!#.

i could definitely see a blackmarket. Didnt someone post an article quoting one of the concierge docs saying his phone is ringing off the hook with people wanting the vaccine on the first possible day. People will pay. They have businesses to run, family members to protect, and vacationing to do. Its like anything else, pay more and get it faster. I would bet some "shrinkage" as they call it has already occurred. Money buys you choices and access. SOmeone coding a job as patient facing to move them to the front so they get vaccinated. SOmeone adding a family member to a staff list at a resthome. I could see this going in lots of directions. Sign me up as a volunteer firefighter if they are on the first string. etc...

I'm sure there is a black market, because whenever there's a market, scammers will try to make money off of it. But I doubt much if any of the grey market will actually have any of the approved vaccines.

I'm sure there is a black market, because whenever there's a market, scammers will try to make money off of it. But I doubt much if any of the grey market will actually have any of the approved vaccines.

Yes, it is easy to imagine that organized crime around the world will get its hands on some vaccine. Just like happened with the PPE and other needed equipment. And that's not even counting the fake vaccine that will end up online.

What about younger people who live with and care for an over-80 person?

Seems pointless to vaccinate the old one, leaving the caregiver to possibly get sick and be unable to caregive.

Similar distribution process in England, hospitals only at first because of the refrigeration issues. They are only going to give the first dose for half the quantity they have on hand, reserving the the other half for shot 2. This in case of supply or production problems. A spokesman from the production site in Belgium was on TV yesterday explaining why the production rate is half of what Pfizer initially said it would be. It is complicated to manufacture in bulk and keep within spec.

Groups are as follows:

1) Frontline healthcare workers and Care Home residents. - accounts for 1/3 of deaths in UK to date but is less than 1% of the population.

2) Over 80's - less than 10% of population and accounts for another 1/3 of deaths to date.

3) Over 75's and medically vulnerable

4) Over 70's

5) Over 65's

6) 18 - 64 year olds

I just looked at the ingredients of the Pfizer vaccine to see if there were any obvious things my DM and I would be allergic to. There is a list of things with chemical compounds so who knows about those. Then there is salt and sugar so those should be no problem. The vaccine is preservative free ( I guess that is why the doses need to be refrigerated). It is impossible for a person with known allergies to know if they will be allergic. I guess that is why they are saying anyone with severe allergies should not take it.

Yeah, you never know if your body won't like some ingredient in the formulation.

I woke up with significant pain around my kidney (same side as the shot) after getting my first Shingrix shot a few months ago...even reported it via VAERS...but it didn't stop me from getting the second dose this week...did have the flu-like symptoms (fever, chills, body aches) the pharmacist warned me I'd experience.

I'd still take the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow if I could get it.

Last edited:
Yeah, you never know if your body won't like some ingredient in the formulation.

I woke up with significant pain around my kidney (same side as the shot) after getting my first Shingrix shot a few months ago...even reported it via VAERS...but it didn't stop me from getting the second dose this week...did have the flu-like symptoms (fever, chills, body aches) the pharmacist warned me I'd experience.

I'd still take the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow if I could get it.

Yeah, my aspirin allergy has not been so bad in the past--hives and slight swelling of my lips so I will probably risk the Covid vaccine, take allergy pills ahead of time and make sure I have the EpiPen and stay at the medical office for an hour after the shot. My 89 year old mother has worse allergies. One time she accidentally ate a small piece of brazil nut, her mouth and airway started swelling immediately. I drove her very fast to a nearby hospital and they saved her (this was before EpiPens).

Both my mother and I take the flu vaccine without problems. We also had both kinds of Shingles shots, no problems.

What about younger people who live with and care for an over-80 person?

Seems pointless to vaccinate the old one, leaving the caregiver to possibly get sick and be unable to caregive.

I think that would be an extremely small population in the grand scheme of things. A care giver can get sick for any reason other than Covid and the younger you are the less likely you are to be really sick from Covid.

In Switzerland--the always cautious nation--the government is turning over the supplies of vaccine to the military for safekeeping in undisclosed locations before distribution.

Given that some of our fighter jets have hidden hangars carved out of obscure mountain sides in case of invasion, I would suspect that these hidden locations are absolutely unfindable. I just hope someone writes it down.

-BB

And the other good news about Switzerland is that it won't be hard to keep it cold :D I have very fond memories of our trips to the Alps in Switzerland.

Pro athletes to the front of the line?

A trial balloon is out that involves pro athletes going to the front of the line. This would presumably be for "messaging and communication."

I'm listening to an NHL insider as I type, and he thinks they'll somehow have access early regardless, through channels he didn't divulge. He's speculating though, so we'll see.

My relationship with professional sports has already declined. I'm not a fan of them going to the head of the line. If they do, it may permanently kill my interest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-vaccine-athletes-sports-early-11607215654

Sports teams have faced intense blowback since the spring over the perception that they have received special treatment in a pandemic. Now some public health experts are weighing a counterintuitive idea for how they could help end it.
They are suggesting that athletes get earlier access to the coronavirus vaccines.

“I could imagine a campaign that enlisted professional sports. ‘Let’s get everyone back in the game’ could be one tagline. And then ‘When it’s your turn, take a shot.’ That could coincidentally get vaccines to the athletes sooner.”
Saad Omer, ... warned that any sense that sports teams had been vaccinated before people with a more pressing claim would be counterproductive.
“If the message is that I, a multimillion-dollar football player, can’t wait my turn in line, that is a strong message in itself,” Omer said.

A trial balloon is out that involves pro athletes going to the front of the line. This would presumably be for "messaging and communication."

I'm listening to an NHL insider as I type, and he thinks they'll somehow have access early regardless, through channels he didn't divulge. He's speculating though, so we'll see.

My relationship with professional sports has already declined. I'm not a fan of them going to the head of the line. If they do, it may permanently kill my interest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-vaccine-athletes-sports-early-11607215654

This could really backfire on the PR front if somehow this came to pass and a significant number of them decline the vaccine. Just saying...

This could really backfire on the PR front if somehow this came to pass and a significant number of them decline the vaccine. Just saying...
I would guess they wouldn't disclose that. They would hand pick high profile athletes for the ad spots.

Another point about this is a lot of these guys have had Covid and may choose to skip the vaccine.

My gut take on this is they should just be in the normal line. Leave the publicity to Bush-Obama-Clinton all getting the vaccine publicly in a united message.

Last edited:
I hope that pro athletes get it at the regular time for their age level and then it is publicized. I would think that seeing someone like LaBron James getting the vaccine may help encourage some people to get it.

I hope that pro athletes get it at the regular time for their age level and then it is publicized. I would think that seeing someone like LaBron James getting the vaccine may help encourage some people to get it.

That would be great, and if they did it on their own, it would help offset a lot of the bad publicity they've had. It is going to matter most at that time when wide distribution is available.

It is just my theory... but I am thinking this trail balloon was hatched by some powerful people connected with team ownership. The owners want to stop the game shutdown/reschedule chaos going on now in the NFL. The NBA and NHL see that same chaos in their future. I think they want a backdoor way to get to the front.

Just my theory though.

I would much rather see a publicity campaign with normal people.

The cashier at the grocery store, for example - she could end the ad being at her register checking someone out and turn to the camera - "I got the vaccine for you, will you get one for me?" - see not hard.

Last edited:

The cashier at the grocery store, for example - she could end the ad being at her register checking someone out and turn to the camera - "I got the vaccine for you, will you get one for me?" - see not hard.

Good idea-- ads showing people of all types getting the vaccine

Last edited by a moderator:

The cashier at the grocery store, for example - she could end the add being at her register checking someone out and turn to the camera - "I got the vaccine for you, will you get one for me?" - see not hard.

Yes, this.

Seeing LeBron, Obama, Bush, or Clinton, does little to inspire me. Actually it’s a turn off. I suspect for many others as well. And let’s please leave celebs out of publicizing it. I don’t need to see a Kardashian telling me to get it.

Yes, this.

Seeing LeBron, Obama, Bush, or Clinton, does little to inspire me. Actually it’s a turn off. I suspect for many others as well. And let’s please leave celebs out of publicizing it. I don’t need to see a Kardashian telling me to get it.

Agree 100%!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom