Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
What groups are NOT recommended to take the vaccine? So far I have heard these people are not recommended to take the Pfizer vaccinate at this time:

1. People with severe allergic reactions (FDA is researching this)
2. Pregnant women (the vaccine was not tested on pregnant women)
3. Children under age 16 (the vaccine was not tested on children)
4. Women breastfeeding (the vaccine was not tested on these women)
5. People undergoing chemotherapy that significantly reduces immune response (not sure I have heard correctly on this one)

Any others?

Last edited:
Vaxes for the Stars Program

Didn't you all hear about the new initiative for vaccination publicity?

Happening in LA next week. If you have more than 10 million Twitter followers and agree to both get the jab on TV and tweet about it, you're first in line to get the vaccine. Oh, wait, that's a story for the first of April. Never mind.

A trial balloon is out that involves pro athletes going to the front of the line. This would presumably be for "messaging and communication."

I'm listening to an NHL insider as I type, and he thinks they'll somehow have access early regardless, through channels he didn't divulge. He's speculating though, so we'll see.

My relationship with professional sports has already declined. I'm not a fan of them going to the head of the line. If they do, it may permanently kill my interest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-vaccine-athletes-sports-early-11607215654

+1 They should take the same turn as anyone else in their age group. If a message needs to be sent then the athletes can do Public Service Announcements to encourage people to vaccinate.

Cheers!

What groups are NOT recommended to take the vaccine? So far I have heard these people are not recommended to take the Pfizer vaccinate at this time:

3. Children under age 18 (the vaccine was not tested on children)
5. People undergoing chemotherapy that significantly reduces immune response (not sure I have heard correctly on this one)

Any others?

Do you have a source on this? Specifically, my DD is a nurse currently breastfeeding her new son. She has already been signed up to get the vaccine thru her hospital. So #4 on your list is a concern for us. Hadn’t heard anything about it.

As of last week Covid has become the #1 killer of Americans. In 2020 it knocked a full year of the average life span of an American born today and it has three more weeks to go before the year is up. Currently, the 7 Day Average of deaths in the USA is approximately 2400 a day.

With the above in mind, I am less concerned about getting the order of vaccination 100% right. Rather I am concerned with getting as many people vaccinated ASAP to slow down the spread of the disease. We have a good idea of who makes up the most vulnerable and most critical populations, so go with it. My fear is that the politicians, seeing the opportunity to score points for their side and stick it to the other side, will argue over what the proper order should be. In the mean time, millions of doses will sit unused, and thousands will die every day. A delay of four days is almost 10,000 deaths at today's death rate.

The graph of new infections after the first dose of Pfizer vaccine is amazing. Ten days after the first injection the number of new infections almost flat lines. Meanwhile, the placebo group count of infections was going up, Up and UP. Assuming this is correct and not marketing hype, waiting is going to cost lives.

Attachments

• PFIZER_CHART_NEW.jpg
    PFIZER_CHART_NEW.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
One of my wife’s friends just contacted her to say that she was vaccinated today. (She works in a hospital). First person we personally know to receive the vaccination. Feels a lot better than when a neighbour opposite us died of Covid.

The graph of new infections after the first dose of Pfizer vaccine is amazing. Ten days after the first injection the number of new infections almost flat lines. Meanwhile, the placebo group count of infections was going up, Up and UP. Assuming this is correct and not marketing hype, waiting is going to cost lives.

It is amazing.. and that is after 1 just 1 dose!
The numbers are real, they are based on the data that Pfizer supplied to the FDA for the approval of the vaccine. The marketing dept was kept far away :)

From the briefing document that Pfizer prepared for the FDA, you can see the chart on page 58:
https://www.fda.gov/media/144246/download

Original chart from briefing document is below. Even the Adverse Event (aka side effects) profile for age > 55 is remarkable.

Attachments

• Pfizer_Cumulative_incidence.JPG
    Pfizer_Cumulative_incidence.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Pfizer_AE_age_ge_55.jpg
    Pfizer_AE_age_ge_55.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
One of my wife’s friends just contacted her to say that she was vaccinated today. (She works in a hospital). First person we personally know to receive the vaccination. Feels a lot better than when a neighbour opposite us died of Covid.

+1

Far, far better to see posts about someone you know getting vaccinated than testing positive!

Our local news orgs report that the VA hospital in Portland will receive 1,000 doses and that their health care workers will likely exhaust that supply. I know that many are employed at more than one hospital so our supplies may stretch further.

Do you have a source on this? Specifically, my DD is a nurse currently breastfeeding her new son. She has already been signed up to get the vaccine thru her hospital. So #4 on your list is a concern for us. Hadn’t heard anything about it.

This was on NPR this morning--mainly talking about people with allergies but they said that pregnant women and breastfeeding women were not included in the Pfizer trial and most likely the FDA will not recommend the vaccine for them. Your daughter should see what the FDA says.

Google this question and you will see numerous articles from NY Times, Washington Post, USA Today.

This was on NPR this morning--mainly talking about people with allergies but they said that pregnant women and breastfeeding women were not included in the Pfizer trial and most likely the FDA will not recommend the vaccine for them.

There was an article on the CNN website yesterday that said that the British vaccine review made similar recommendations. I'm paying attention since I carry an epi-pen but not for vaccine allergies. The British recommendation, related to allergies, was that the Pfitzer vaccine was not recommended for anyone with severe food allergies, severe vaccine allergies or anyone who carries an epi-pen. I also heard on the news today that the allergy/epi-pen restriction would impact 10's of millions of people in the US alone. Hopefully the next vaccine will be better for people like me.

There was an article on the CNN website yesterday that said that the British vaccine review made similar recommendations. I'm paying attention since I carry an epi-pen but not for vaccine allergies. The British recommendation, related to allergies, was that the Pfitzer vaccine was not recommended for anyone with severe food allergies, severe vaccine allergies or anyone who carries an epi-pen. I also heard on the news today that the allergy/epi-pen restriction would impact 10's of millions of people in the US alone. Hopefully the next vaccine will be better for people like me.

Same for me and my 88 year old mother--we both have to carry Epipens for allergies.

With the above in mind, I am less concerned about getting the order of vaccination 100% right. Rather I am concerned with getting as many people vaccinated ASAP to slow down the spread of the disease. We have a good idea of who makes up the most vulnerable and most critical populations, so go with it. My fear is that the politicians, seeing the opportunity to score points for their side and stick it to the other side, will argue over what the proper order should be. In the mean time, millions of doses will sit unused, and thousands will die every day. A delay of four days is almost 10,000 deaths at today's death rate.

My fear is related. I can see doses sitting waiting to be used as some folks in some areas are being convinced to take it. Meanwhile others will be queuing up and ready to go but can’t get enough to satisfy their demand.

I'm pretty much guessing that the mRNA supply will be consumed mostly by frontliners or essentials, and the rest of us will get something else. That should help the allergy situation.

3. Children under age 18 (the vaccine was not tested on children)

Any others?

I want to correct #3 above-- children age 16 and over were involved in the Pfizer trials and can receive that vaccine. So #3 should read children under age 16 should not take the Pfizer vaccine

Serious question: So is the story about Sputnik V and alcohol consumption just bunk? I'm wondering if the British are going to use it and they don't yet have that guideline?

from the article "In an interview with Russian radio station Komsomolskaya Pravda, Anna Popova — the head of Russia’s consumer safety watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor — echoed the warning. Apart from urging people to stop drinking for 42 days after receiving the first of the two injections, she also asked them to abstain from alcohol for at least two weeks before getting inoculated.

“It’s a strain on the body. If we want to stay healthy and have a strong immune response, don’t drink alcohol,” Popova explained.

Soon after Popova’s interview, Sputnik V vaccine’s developer, Alexander Gintsburg, contradicted her warning. “One glass of champagne won’t hurt anyone, not even your immune system,” he said in a tweet shared on the vaccine’s official Twitter handle, along with a picture of Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio raising a glass of champagne."

https://indianexpress.com/article/e...lcohol-after-covid-vaccine-sputnik-v-7100049/

My fear is related. I can see doses sitting waiting to be used as some folks in some areas are being convinced to take it. Meanwhile others will be queuing up and ready to go but can’t get enough to satisfy their demand.

I was talking to DW about it this morning. Wonder if they will overbook like airlines or other businesses or offer a standby slot to people in next tier of access ? Say they are on Tier2 and want to vaccinate 100 people at a facility today, would they offer 10 standby slots to those under 65 ? I'd be up for that. I'm 64 1/2 and will end up at end of our priority list, unless I can get it through military tricare ?

Serious question: So is the story about Sputnik V and alcohol consumption just bunk? I'm wondering if the British are going to use it and they don't yet have that guideline?

This source says alcohol is not a problem https://www.providencejournal.com/s...drink-alcohol-after-covid-vaccine/3896100001/
The Rhode Island Health Department said Friday that a story out of Russia warning people not to drink alcohol for two months when getting vaccinated against the coronavirus is not true.

"There is no indication that moderate consumption of alcohol will affect the protection your body develops after getting an immunization," Health Department spokesman Joseph Wendelken told The Providence Journal.
./.
But her advice was contradicted by Alexander Gintsburg, the vaccine’s developer, who said moderate drinking would not impair the body's ability to develop immunity, Reuters reported.

If the Covid vaccine distribution is anything like Shingrix vaccine (I hope the Covid vaccine goes much better than Shingrix) there will not be any doses sitting unused anywhere. I envision long lines of people queuing up everywhere for the Covid vaccine, at least for the first 6 months.

In my previous source was this: "But Gintsburg said it was important to avoid alcohol three days before and after the two injections, Reuters reported. He added that the advice would apply for all Covid-19 vaccines and not just the Russian Sputnik V."

That might be good advice anyway.
I think it is good advice for any medical procedure.

We also have to keep in mind the amount. There's drinking, and then there's drinking. Russian winters are cold and dark. Just saying drinking may be involved.

Yes, consider the source. In my experiences with Russians, they don't see alcohol consumption in quite the same way as most other nationalities do.

"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."

I sent my primary care Dr. an email asking about what the process is going to be? His nurse responded that they have no clue. She said they will NOT be giving shots at the office. I guess we'll all just be standing outside CVS or Walgreens...waiting.

Since up to 50% say they aren't going to get the vaccine, I wonder how they will be able to tell when one group is "done" and the next group can start?

As of last week Covid has become the #1 killer of Americans. In 2020 it knocked a full year of the average life span of an American born today and it has three more weeks to go before the year is up. Currently, the 7 Day Average of deaths in the USA is approximately 2400 a day.
Wow! I listened to Michael Osterholm today and he ran off a bunch of statistics including the sudden and drastic drop in US life expectancy. We have lost all gains since 2010!

Don’t tell the RMD committee......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom