Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 06:09 AM   #781
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ I beleive the planning should be in the hands of local government when it arrives in that state. The federal government shouldn't have to administrate who what when where and why. The states need a plan and is their responsibility to do what is right for their state.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 06:20 AM   #782
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ I beleive the planning should be in the hands of local government when it arrives in that state. The federal government shouldn't have to administrate who what when where and why. The states need a plan and is their responsibility to do what is right for their state.
This works if the local government has the knowledge, infrastructure and budget to carry out a large scale high priority vaccination program. My concern is federal and state public health planning organizations are not prepared and deflect blame by assigning vaccine responsibility elsewhere.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #783
Give me a forum ...

No vision, no strategy, no goals, nada. Like "the vaccine" would magically appear, and somehow administer itself.

When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This works if the local government has the knowledge, infrastructure and budget to carry out a large scale high priority vaccination program. My concern is federal and state public health planning organizations are not prepared and deflect blame by assigning vaccine responsibility elsewhere.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #784
Administrator

Same problem through the millennia. "Where there is no vision, the people perish." Proverbs 29:18a (KJV)
Old 01-03-2021, 07:08 AM   #785
gone traveling

In my county, people were showing up in line for the shot that did not even pre-register and given a date and time per the counties advertised process. That resulted in extremely long lines and those line jumpers were given the shot anyway.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #786
Give me a forum ...

^ your state should of had a plan how too for these counties. If we as local governments can't do some planning for an event like this and have to depend on federal government to do so on distribution then we need new state leadership and local leadership. Why have these leadership rolls beyond the feds if they can't make a plan??

I guess then their wouldn't be anyone or entity to blame.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:27 AM   #787
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
Fomenting panic? Oh, please. The news media is reporting what is actually happening with the vaccine rollout. Don't blame the messenger. It is clear that in some states, and I'll cite Florida and Texas as two examples, the situation is utterly chaotic and there appears to have been little or no planning.
I haven’t concluded that Texas overall is doing so badly. There may be counties screwing up. I know that in our county there are several avenues available and they are busy taking care of 1a and starting 1b even if some approaches seem a bit poorly planned and will likely attract crowds in a pandemic.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #788
gone traveling

Quote:
Fomenting panic? Oh, please. The news media are reporting what is actually happening with the vaccine rollout. Don't blame the messenger. It is clear that in some states, and I'll cite Florida and Texas as two examples, the situation is utterly chaotic and there appears to have been little or no planning.
IMO, the news media is about sensationalism, i.e., hyping any faults, not an overall accurate story. Net, I take them with a 5-gallon pail of salt.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:40 AM   #789
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
In my county, people were showing up in line for the shot that did not even pre-register and given a date and time per the counties advertised process. That resulted in extremely long lines and those line jumpers were given the shot anyway.
As long as people stay spaced, I'm fine with long lines - no/less wasted vaccine. Good deal. Have at it.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #790

Maybe next time they can have a "shot mobile" (like the library's "book mobile"). There would be drive-thru style portals on the sides, and positive pressure on the inside. The syringe could ride out through the drawer, and the swab and injection could be done with a set of those arms with glove things. A stash of folding chairs strapped on the outside for the observation period. Park it on Elm lane and nobody without ID that said Elm lane need bother trying.

ETA: I said "next time", but don't I recall some really innovative inventions implemented in just a month or two by the British during WW2? "Crazy" ideas that just happened to shorten the war? Why not now? Like they say on the Six Million Dollar Man... "We have the technology..."
Old 01-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #791
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
IMO, the news media is about sensationalism, i.e., hyping any faults, not an overall accurate story. Net, I take them with a 5-gallon pail of salt.
What gets me is that the state which is arguably being hit the worst right now has over 1 million unused shots on the shelf and seems to be getting a pass.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #792
Give me a forum ...

A lot of interesting ethic questions are popping up. IE is it better to give two million people one dose or one million people two doses.. literally keep doses in the freezer instead of disbursing all available doses ASAP. .Which course is better for society and which is better for individuals?

Our county has started with tier 1A group and had at least two people featured who got the vaccine that has already tested positive for COVID...Should such people be put to the back of the 1A line? Questions, questions and no one right answer.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #793
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I listened to the latest Youtube update by Dr. John Campbell today and found two things very surprising:

1, In the UK they are suggesting that the 2nd dose could be postponed to the maximum (12 weeks) in order to get more people protected by at least the first dose as quickly as possible; and

2. That it could be efficacious to follow the first dose of one vaccine with a second dose of a different one, if that is what is available.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...
Yikes! I saw that on the news in the last couple days. That doesn't sound like a good idea to handle dosing differently than what was trialed and determined to be effective. Fauci recommends against doing that in the U.S.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/w...f-vaccine.html
Old 01-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Then the 20 million figure came up which was always an ESTIMATE for doses of vaccine distribution given many weeks before any vaccine had been FDA approved for emergency use.
From https://www.pharmacypracticenews.com...ar-s-End/61389
Quote:
Based on current schedules, the Department of Health and Human Services estimates that there will be enough doses of COVID-19 vaccine available in the United States to vaccinate 20 million Americans by the end of 2020, 50 million by the end of January 2021 and 100 million by the end of the first quarter of 2021, HHS Secretary Alex Azar said in a press call on Dec. 9.
December 9 was the day after the FDA found the Pfizer vaccine safe and effective and two days before the EUA for that vaccine was issued. Only nine days after that the Moderna vaccine was issued its EUA. I just want to make the timeline clear on when the 20 million dose estimate was made.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #795
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
Yikes! I saw that on the news in the last couple days. That doesn't sound like a good idea to handle dosing differently than what was trialed and determined to be effective. Fauci recommends against doing that in the U.S.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/w...f-vaccine.html
Maybe but remember we were in a rush to approve and had to get through the vaccine trials.. The new Shingles vaccine has around a 2 to 6 month window for the second shot. A better question would be how protection do you get from the first dose? I don't think we know for certain.

And of course you have gotten vaccinated so you would want your second ASAP. But that doesn't mean if you waited longer the vaccine wouldn't be effective.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #796

Quote:
The Washington Post has a very good free online page (no subscription required) showing the numbers for each state & DC of vaccines which have been allocated, received, and scheduled for reception over the next week. Also the number of vaccines administered, including percentages of the state's prioritized individuals who have received a vaccine, and the percentage of a state's population. I believe it is updated at least daily.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...top-table-main
Thanks for the link. I would like to see a list/chart with all those numbers condensed for quick comparison of states.

I think I was in the first 1/2 of 1% to be vaccinated in my state. Only two and a half weeks to my second dose of Moderna.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #797
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
From https://www.pharmacypracticenews.com...ar-s-End/61389
December 9 was the day after the FDA found the Pfizer vaccine safe and effective and two days before the EUA for that vaccine was issued. Only nine days after that the Moderna vaccine was issued its EUA. I just want to make the timeline clear on when the 20 million dose estimate was made.
Why what on Earth difference does it make? Clearly you are trying to cast someone as the bad guy. Do you think there was malicious intent here. If we lined up all the misinformation, wrong timelines, etc about COVID starting 12 months ago the line would go around the world.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #798

Gotlieb was on one of the Sunday morning shows suggesting that pharmacies (including Walmart and independents) should be stepping up now offering the shot to the general population since we currently have more shots available than being used. Might not be a bad idea. We really shouldn't be in the situation where large stockpiles of unused vaccines are out there, but it's real early. It'll be interesting to see where we stand at the end of the month.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #799
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
Thanks for the link. I would like to see a list/chart with all those numbers condensed for quick comparison of states.

I think I was in the first 1/2 of 1% to be vaccinated in my state. Only two and a half weeks to my second dose of Moderna.
Try the Bloomberg page and scroll down.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...-distribution/
Old 01-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Why what on Earth difference does it make? Clearly you are trying to cast someone as the bad guy. Do you think there was malicious intent here. If we lined up all the misinformation, wrong timelines, etc about COVID starting 12 months ago the line would go around the world.
I was simply correcting the erroneous claim that the 20 million dose estimate was made weeks before any EUA was issued for a vaccine. Why would you want to defend an erroneous claim?
Closed Thread