Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
This story makes me think that it’s the bureaucracy that’s the bottleneck. Maybe it’s time to reward states that are doing better with additional doses. Take the next shipments from the 10 worst states in percents of doses used and redirect them to the 10 states with the highest percents used. When I looked this morning, California had 1.4 million unused doses. Why should they get any more until they put a dent in that backlog? If the states can’t get it done, ship direct to the pharmacy chains.

So you want to punish all the citizens of a state with poor distribution management 2 weeks into this by denying them the vaccine? Do I think the people in charge at the local level should have had better plans in place? Of course. But you don't punish the citizens by taking away potentially life saving vaccines. Just because some areas may be doing a poor job today doesn't mean they won't get their act together tomorrow. And it doesn't mean the doses are being wasted. It just means they are not being distributed as quickly as some other areas. Which is to be expected. We are large country and there are many, many moving parts to this.

I just wish we'd had time to plan for this. Who had any idea we'd need a local distribution plan?

I think there was about 3 months or more for states to plan. If my memory is correct, in October there were calls from Warp Speed for states to submit plans. My memory may be faulty with the dates but I clearly remember the calls for state plans.

So you want to punish all the citizens of a state with poor distribution management 2 weeks into this by denying them the vaccine? ....
One issue is that the vaccine can expire, even when properly kept in the freezer. Better that it be reallocated than expire unused because the state can't vaccinate people fast enough. That's not punishment, just appropriate allocation of supply.

Well, our experience is very different. Our county sent a text message around noon, saying for people over 65 to sign up at a certain web site for covid shot at the county fairgrounds on 6 or 7 January.

By the time I got on the web site, there was a message saying all the appointments had been taken.

I'm not sure how this was even possible, unless some old people have coders writing sniping software for them.

Just passing along our fantastic experience getting Mother (age 79) vaccinated in Florida.

We filled out the online form from the County Health Dept 1/3 (Sunday), got a call 1/4 (Monday) and told appointment at 8:30am today (Tuesday).

Got her in and out and now back home (9:30am). No lines, very organized.....And she's got her appointment for shot #2 in 28 days!

I'm very impressed with how Florida is/has prioritized the elderly and how efficient government worked....

Goodbye Covid!

I support vaccinating our healthcare workers and first responders first and then the elderly, especially those in nursing homes. But putting prisoners ahead of the elderly seems nuts to me.

If you consider that prisoners cannot self-quarantine and if they get sick the cost is on the taxpayer it is not so crazy.

Today I stumbled across the state (TX) website that publishes the list of planned vaccine distributions for the week: https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week4.pdf

When I checked the rural county where my 85 year old sister lives I noticed one location was going to receive 500 doses. She isn't in the best of health and I've been concerned about her since she doesn't do a great job of steering clear of other folks. I called her to see if she had made arrangements to get vaccinated - nope. I told her who was getting the 500 doses and she said "That's my doctor's office!".

Bottom line, she called and was told they had just started to compile a list. She is number 6. :)

Uh oh - drinking alcohol night before before or immediately after vaccination reduces effectiveness of the vaccine.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/04/alcohol-can-reduce-effectiveness-of-covid-vaccine-experts/

Along similar lines, the people getting the Sputnik-5 vaccine in Russia were advised give up alcohol for 2 months. Yeah like that is going to fly in Russia!

Anna Popova, head of the consumer health watchdog, told the Komsomolskaya Pravda radio station on Tuesday that people should stop drinking alcohol at least two weeks before getting the first of two injections. They should continue to abstain for a further 42 days, she advised.

https://www.reuters.com/article/hea...ys-russian-official-some-recoil-idUSKBN28J239

If you consider that prisoners cannot self-quarantine and if they get sick the cost is on the taxpayer it is not so crazy.

Yes, but the statistics show the elderly are the most susceptible to bad outcomes. Most of the prison population is not elderly.

Florida Covid Vaccine Distribution

I thought it might be useful for Florida residents to share their experiences as we move through this process. I look forward to hearing comments from fellow Floridians on how things are going in their counties.
Here in Manatee County, rollout appears pretty slow. Last week the county health department began offering on-line signups for seniors age 65+. Last week they offered 3,500 vaccine appointments. I've heard from several older friends and relatives that the website does not seem to function and they could not get in. Only one friend was able to log in and actually had his appointment today. He drove to Bennett Park and was greeted at the park entrance and asked if he had an appointment. He then proceeded in (drive-through) and was done in less than an hour. He said the folks running the shot clinic were very efficient. So, it appears that for our county at the present time, you need an appointment which will hopefully avoid the 2-mile long lines of cars seen in other locales.
At age 63, I am wondering when the vaccine will be available for me. My DW is also under 65 but has severe asthma, so I hope there will be some clarification coming in the next few weeks.
Look forward to hearing about your Florida vaccine experiences!

Threads merged

So you want to punish all the citizens of a state with poor distribution management 2 weeks into this by denying them the vaccine? Do I think the people in charge at the local level should have had better plans in place? Of course. But you don't punish the citizens by taking away potentially life saving vaccines. Just because some areas may be doing a poor job today doesn't mean they won't get their act together tomorrow. And it doesn't mean the doses are being wasted. It just means they are not being distributed as quickly as some other areas. Which is to be expected. We are large country and there are many, many moving parts to this.

Failing to reallocate is denying vaccines to Americans. If a state has a huge and growing backlog of doses, their folks aren’t getting it anyway. It is just going into inventory. If you do reallocate, someone gets vaccinated and we are all closer to the end of this. Should someone die in Tennessee waiting for vaccines while California sits on a 1.4 million dose hoard? Admittedly we are not there yet since every state has a backlog of unused doses.

But I think you would find that vaccination activity would ramp up real fast if doses started going elsewhere. Even the mere mention of such a plan might get things moving. It’s like when the dad yells “don’t make me come up there!”

Now I do see your point about the time frame here. It does feel like some are panicking after only 2-3 weeks. I think it’s pretty clear what that’s about but we shouldn’t go down that road as Porky will soon arrive.

Threads merged

I was hoping to keep this as a separate thread. Every state is managing differently. It does me no good to read about how things are going in Idaho or New York. I am interested on a focus on my state.

But I think you would find that vaccination activity would ramp up real fast if doses started going elsewhere. Even the mere mention of such a plan might get things moving. It’s like when the dad yells “don’t make me come up there!”

Now I do see your point about the time frame here. It does feel like some are panicking after only 2-3 weeks. I think it’s pretty clear what that’s about but we shouldn’t go down that road as Porky will soon arrive.

Yep. If you are backed-up, then there is no problem waiting for more. If that lights a fire under someone, then good.

Utter failure across the board . Public health has been neglected here in America for the past 40 years . We need some good luck right now because we sure don’t have competence. Vaccinations by CVS and Walgreens?? That seems to be the plan . It would take years . Open up stadiums get the national guard retired nurses whoever and get vaccinations in arms now!

Last edited:
North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper has mobilized the National Guard to assist in the distribution of the vaccine. I hope this helps.

Utter failure across the board . Public health has been neglected here in America for the past 40 years . We need some good luck right now because we sure don’t have competence. Vaccinations by CVS and Walgreens?? That seems to be the plan . It would take years . Open up stadiums get the national guard retired nurses whoever and get vaccinations in arms now!
Exactly. This is a national emergency and it is time to start acting like it. We've had a 100 times as many as 9/11 deaths.

Exactly! That's the "get 'er done" attitude that America used to have when we were kids, and it works.

Exactly!

I think the national guard and additional medical personnel are needed. All hands on deck!

Last edited:
Well, she is a Floridian and that's our first hand experience in Florida today....I hope other Floridians chime in with their personal experience vs what the media may be hyping today. Bottom line, it worked for her, was slick as silk and we are grateful Floridians.

So how does it work for her second shot ?
Has that already been scheduled, etc. ?

Wondering if people get first shot, then are left fighting to get the second one, like shingles was done in many places.

I was hoping to keep this as a separate thread. Every state is managing differently. It does me no good to read about how things are going in Idaho or New York. I am interested on a focus on my state.

That would lead to too many threads on the same topic and would be very confusing. Better to keep all discussion on vaccine distribution in one thread.

So how does it work for her second shot ?
Has that already been scheduled, etc. ?

Wondering if people get first shot, then are left fighting to get the second one, like shingles was done in many places.

I've seen information showing those who get the first shot are given a document confirming that first immunization and the scheduled date/time/place for the second shot.

Well, she is a Floridian and that's our first hand experience in Florida today....I hope other Floridians chime in with their personal experience vs what the media may be hyping today. Bottom line, it worked for her, was slick as silk and we are grateful Floridians.

I'm a Floridian. So far I have had 4 friends over age 65 be vaccinated. Our county is using the Eventbrite system. My friends were lucky enough to get an appointment. They said even with an appointment the lines were long, BUT, once inside things were run very efficiently. This is Sarasota county.

Lots of my friends have not been able to sign up fast enough for an appointment slot. Huge demand. It's a good sign! I'm glad my county is using an appointment system.

Apparently there are also trial programs being set up at some Publix's, too.

I suspect things are going to take off and proceed much faster very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom